Most Objectionable TSR Art Ever Published!
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:10 pm 

There's been much talk about the so-called naughty bits in the Orange B3. But, puh-leeze people, the most objectionable piece of art ever published by TSR is Erol Otus' piece for the original Rogue's Gallery... Right smack dab on the product cover!

Shirtless demon-helmed Arch-Mage fondling the breast of his female assistant, while also suggesting that he might like to "cut both ways" by embracing his Orcish male retainer!

YOU GO EROL!

Feel free to discuss amongst yourselves.

bonk!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:38 pm 

bonk! wrote:Shirtless demon-helmed Arch-Mage fondling the breast of his female assistant, while also suggesting that he might like to "cut both ways" by embracing his Orcish male retainer!

Ever considered you might be reading a bit much into that, bonk!? :D

(Yeah, but very far from being a favorite here, too. Otus with a script rather than Otus in free-flow, IMHO).

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:57 pm 

Pinsom ... Jasmine ... 99 percent of the one-panel comics in Dragon Mirth ... the list goes on. I was much more offended by the "art" and "humor" in Dragon Mirth than anything Erol ever did.

+++++

P.S. at the risk of being too pedantic, a frontispiece is an illustration that sits opposite the title page.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:07 pm 

Considering some of the other things erol has produced nothing he produced was w/o some thought. Pick up Alma Mater some time if you want to see some really lude artworks of his.
Clearly that hand was place there on purpose. Swinging both ways?.....I dont think so.  :lol:

On another note, many of the TSR artists slipped in references to other employees into their artworks. I am of the thought that Erol's effigies of Gygax, etal, in the oB3 sealed its recall fate more than other aspects of the so called questionable artworks.

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:53 pm 

Adam Shultz wrote:Considering some of the other things erol has produced nothing he produced was w/o some thought. Pick up Alma Mater some time if you want to see some really lude artworks of his.
Clearly that hand was place there on purpose. Swinging both ways?.....I dont think so. :lol:

I was being facetious in the original post of course...  Trust me, I am difficult to offend.   This Otus cover has just always struck me as peculiar and funny, and I've actually never heard of anyone complaining about it before.  One thing about that wizard, the dude should really consider a manicure...  I'm sure his female assistant would agree...  Ouch!!  LOL.

Oh, and Xaxaxe, fixed the frontispiece misusage.

bonk!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:18 pm 

Some actually consider this to be the most risque work of all time.

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:34 pm 

Yeah, that's probably the all-time winner. In the magazine category, though, I humbly nominate Jasmine (*vomiting sounds*) from Dragon #45.

It's just what every gaming-related magazine needs: a rape scene. That's just good, clean fun ...

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:05 am 

I'm grateful the thread title states "TSR artwork", otherwise would have to be ready to pounce with a "NOT WORKSAFE" reply for whoever posted the cover of WD #5... That one certainly went down even less well with my parents than EW. :oops:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:26 am 

Of course, now I MUST know what was on the cover of White Dwarf #5!   :twisted:

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:16 pm 

When I begin thinking like some things said in this thread, then I know it's time to quit roleplaying for a while and dedicate myself to women.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:45 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:Of course, now I MUST know what was on the cover of White Dwarf #5!  :twisted:

Agreed. Can anyone post a link to it so as to keep the forum posts work safe?

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:04 pm 

WD#5 work unsafe?

** Banned **

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:07 pm 

Personally, I've never been offended by the suggested/potential sexual overtones in any of the various D&D related artworks, but what HAS always annoyed me is the (in my opinion) totally silly "girl with huge breasts in a thong and chain mail bra" topic of painting. It's just plain silly. I can think of at least 5 or 6 prominent works that had this as the focus, and I hated them all. I just never got it...

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:08 pm 

nn wrote:WD#5 work unsafe?

Depends on the size of the image... ^^

EW looks more like an unclothed Barbie doll, by comparison, IMHO.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:45 pm 

jpipes wrote:Personally, I've never been offended by the suggested/potential sexual overtones in any of the various D&D related artworks, but what HAS always annoyed me is the (in my opinion) totally silly "girl with huge breasts in a thong and chain mail bra" topic of painting. It's just plain silly. I can think of at least 5 or 6 prominent works that had this as the focus, and I hated them all. I just never got it...

5 or 6???

Maybe you mean all of Caldwell's and Royo's work, plus at least half of Fields's and a ton more!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:48 am 

guerret wrote:When I begin thinking like some things said in this thread, then I know it's time to quit roleplaying for a while and dedicate myself to women.

Or, better yet, find some women roleplayers!   :lol:

Also...I keep hearing Harami refer to EW....what is that?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:53 am 

jpipes wrote:...but what HAS always annoyed me is the (in my opinion) totally silly "girl with huge breasts in a thong and chain mail bra" topic of painting. It's just plain silly. I can think of at least 5 or 6 prominent works that had this as the focus, and I hated them all. I just never got it...

... as a young hormone-filled adolescent, I loved all those chainmail thong and BIG sword pictures. But then again, I was very much target market.
:lol:

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:50 am 

I personally always liked the woman busting out in the hand of the efreeti on the cover of the 1st print DMG.  I think my mom really qusetioned buying that book for me as a gift.   :)

Next