The Rares...Recent Auction Prices & Discussion
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:47 pm 

*is back*

deimos3428 wrote:Been waiting through the upgrade period to post this one:
"Mint" Tsojconth - $1895. 8O
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... %3AIT&rd=1

afoolandhis$ wrote:Actually, that was a mint "Tsojonth"...

May have been (whatever the spelling), but the previous one before that (on eBay) was "Mint" aside from a single, smallish split at the base of the cover's spine.

Final price on that one was $911 and $1,895 (for stated-"Mint") is pretty crazy in that context, IMHO.

Even though there were probably a few hidden snipes, I'd personally be happy not to have won this one: since it's very difficult to even take out the ziploc without knocking $750-$1,000 off that "value".

=

Bidding list;

wade168 US $1,895.00

bombadil-tom US $1,870.00

lordan US $636.87

mdr003 US $613.00

lordan US $455.89

=

(The most recent (afaik) off-eBay Tsoj price since that $911 auction was $500 ($525), but condition wasn't so good on that).

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:51 pm 

I know that Howard has more than a few.

I think it is clear there are more tourny Tsojs than the others. But the value does not seem to be adversly affected.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:28 pm 

Badmike wrote:   What did the last Tso go for??? Interested in comparing if the price went up or down, or if the mispelling affected the final price.

Lumber's last Tsojconth (August 2005, I think) went for $1825.  Here are the bids:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:11 pm 

Well, I must say that I completely missed that one. 8O IIRC the last one Howard<lumberjaques> sold went for $1825 whenever a2jeff pushed up on that bidder who came out of nowhere and hasnt been seen or heard from since.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:50 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Well, I must say that I completely missed that one. 8O IIRC the last one Howard<lumberjaques> sold went for $1825 whenever a2jeff pushed up on that bidder who came out of nowhere and hasnt been seen or heard from since.

Was that not lumberjacques again? Auction dated 30th August 2005 with "Tsojonth" spelling. Have the full details somewhere...

Yeah, rampant "must have" bidding, IIRC.

The more recent one; "NM, but for that single short split" ($919, not $911 actually) was 30th September 2005;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8700187134

And the $500 (/$525) off-eBay sale was December 2005.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:57 pm 

harami2000 wrote:
bclarkie wrote:Well, I must say that I completely missed that one. 8O IIRC the last one Howard<lumberjaques> sold went for $1825 whenever a2jeff pushed up on that bidder who came out of nowhere and hasnt been seen or heard from since.

Was that not lumberjacques again? Auction dated 30th August 2005 with "Tsojonth" spelling. Have the full details somewhere...
Yeah, rampant "must have" bidding, IIRC.

The more recent one; "NM, but for that single short split" ($919, not $911 actually) was 30th September 2005;
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8700187134

And the $500 (/$525) off-eBay sale was December 2005.

I find it rather interesting though that the last 2 from lumberjaques have gone to bidders with low feedback that no one seems to know. :? I do think that you are correct about the spelling error too. :)

Sadly, <edited for your protection>  :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:58 pm 

Another Fazzlewood:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Quest-For-the-Fazzl ... dZViewItem

The BIN is "only" for $1649.  

And apparantly there are more copies to come, if the letter is true. And how about this:

The current value of this module is unknown because it is so rare that none have been know to have been sold since 1996.

Shoddy research, outright lie or what?  They just sold one not too long ago.

Mike B.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:01 pm 

[nm]

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:03 pm 

harami2000 wrote:
bclarkie wrote:Sadly, unless something changed dramatically...

I know that, but I don't think that was requested to be advertised for obvious reasons!

Would this be a good time for an edit? :)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:05 pm 

[nm]

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:11 pm 

harami2000 wrote:
bclarkie wrote:
harami2000 wrote:
bclarkie wrote:Sadly, unless something changed dramatically...

I know that, but I don't think that was requested to be advertised for obvious reasons!

Would this be a good time for an edit? :)

Perhaps so, Brian. Some people prefer other high-rolling bidders not to know such things! ;)

Well it is now edited for your protection. :wink:  :lol:

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:16 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Well it is now edited for your protection. :wink: :lol:

Heh, heh... Is only courteous, IMO. Thanks :)
"Not our news item"

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:21 pm 

bclarkie wrote:I find it rather interesting though that the last 2 from lumberjaques have gone to bidders with low feedback that no one seems to know. :? I do think that you are correct about the spelling error too. :)

Sadly, <edited for your protection> :)

Honestly, a lot of these rare auctions are making me paranoid.  The prices keep skyrocketing, they all claim to be mint, and they're coming in pairs.  I'm not going to tell anyone what to bid/not bid on, here's a few observations.

It seems slightly fishy that someone who worked on Tsojconth would spell it incorrectly, and repeatedly so.  And that someone that knew what it was worth would provide such poor scans.  :?  (Didn't stop me from bidding, though.)

And multiple Fazzlewoods just seems really unlikely, authenticity letter or not.  In fact, the authenticity letter almost backfires, in my opinion.  :?

Anyone else concerned?

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:04 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:Honestly, a lot of these rare auctions are making me paranoid...  It seems slightly fishy that someone who worked on Tsojconth would spell it incorrectly, and repeatedly so. And that someone that knew what it was worth would provide such poor scans. :? (Didn't stop me from bidding, though.)

I was hoping to possibly make this auction one of my first real pushes for a type 5 rare, but I smelled the fishiness too, and it *did* keep me from bidding.  

This module is very small.  So, why not post scans of all the pages?  I have seen this done for other rares auctions, and it certainly goes a long way to waylaying fears and adding greater legitimacy to the proceedings.

I am not claiming that the module lumberjacques sold was not authentic, only that more thoughtfully considered auction information could have gotten more bidders into the action.  

bonk!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:12 pm 

I'd have to see it under a microscope.  The December Fazzle sold by lumberjacques passed the test administered by the member who bought it.  Based on comparisons made within my own collection, I can confirm that the microscope works for LCOT, GT, and LT as well.

As for the sudden spike in near mint rares, I personally doubt the oft-repeated scenario that unsolds were destroyed.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:16 pm 

tfm wrote:As for the sudden spike in near mint rares, I personally doubt the oft-repeated scenario that unsolds were destroyed.

*agrees*. Seems pretty much the case time-and-time again.
Why destroy what you've paid to have printed? Especially for smaller press material (often paid for out of one's own pocket).

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:18 pm 

harami2000 wrote:Why destroy what you've paid to have printed?

In TSR's case it was a plugged pipeline.

There were thousands of copies of old material on the shelves of retailers who got their D&D materials via Random House. They refused to buy the new stuff until the old stuff sold... and it wasn't moving.

The solution was a massive Returns program that allowed all the stores to return their unsolds for credit. (Dunno how much of the original wholesale that came to, but it was a sizeable percentage.)

And presto, tens of thousands of old pieces came off the shelves and even more new stuff went out onto the shelves. We had many semi-loads rolling up to the TSR warehouse.

At that point, tho, it was storage costs vs writeoffs for dumping 'em... and the tax incentives won out.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:46 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:Honestly, a lot of these rare auctions are making me paranoid. The prices keep skyrocketing, they all claim to be mint, and they're coming in pairs. I'm not going to tell anyone what to bid/not bid on, here's a few observations.

It seems slightly fishy that someone who worked on Tsojconth would spell it incorrectly, and repeatedly so. And that someone that knew what it was worth would provide such poor scans. :? (Didn't stop me from bidding, though.)

And multiple Fazzlewoods just seems really unlikely, authenticity letter or not. In fact, the authenticity letter almost backfires, in my opinion. :?

Anyone else concerned?

Great paranoid minds think alike.  I was contemplating along similar lines just this afternoon.    From my looks at Fazzlewood, it looks ridiculously easy to copy/counterfeit.  At the very least, even if everything is on the up and up, I'd start to get concerned about how many of these and other "rares" are REALLY out there.  The scenario of someone somewhere (or multiple someones) sitting on a box of these looms it's ugly head.  At the worst, well, these aren't that hard to professionally run copies of at a Kinkos or printing shop.  This is why I also don't collect tourneys either...they have such an amateurish appearance that one could always "find" a box or two of these, sell them, and with virtually nothing to compare them to none could be the wiser if they happen to be copies.

Mike B.

PreviousNext