The Rares...Recent Auction Prices & Discussion
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:34 pm 

Well, without much preamble, here it is. A thread for keeping track of recent auctions and sales of the D&D items designated "Rares" through the Acaeum.  Discussion will center around Rares up for auction on Ebay, for sale through the Classifieds or privately from Acaeum members, or auctioned through a respected forum such as Gencon.  Issues discussed can be anything related to these items, feel free to post any items on this list popping up on Ebay including final prices, how many you have, which ones you are looking for, how to tell a Woodgrain 1st print Bminus double X from a Woodgrain 1st print B Plus triple X or whatever, whether getting laid for the first time was better than finally winning that Daystar Pharaoh on Ebay, you get the picture.  For reference, below is the list of Acaeum designated "Rares" so we can sort of confine the conversation to these for the most part.  Also, hopefully this can become a very unofficial reference point for seeing what certain rares bring in Ebay auctions and discussions concerning this subject; also a place you can go to quickly locate Rares available on Ebay.  I also expect winners of Rares to post here and unmercifully brag about their purchases. Then perhaps some follow up from said winners when they recieve the item, whether the condition was noted correctly, any variations, any surprises, etc.    

Mike B.

10th Anniversary Collector's Set
10th Anniversary Combo Packs
AD&D Fighting Wheel
Adventurer's Guild modules
Artists of TSR  
R6  Bigby's Tomb (tournament version)
RPGA2  Black Opal Eye
Chainmail (Guidon Games, 1st Edition)
Chainmail (Guidon Games, 2nd Edition)  
Character Archaic    
Character Record (1975 - green)
Character Record (1976 - orange)  
Character Sheets (Games Workshop)
D&D Basic Set (1st prt)
Dark & Hidden Ways (with DSG)
Dark & Hidden Ways (without DSG)
R4  Doc's Island
Dragon issue #1
Dragon issue #2
Dragon issue #3
Dragon issue #4
Dragon issue #5
Dragon Dice
Dragon Dice Percentage Generators
Dungeon Floor Plans (Games Workshop)
Dungeon Masters Guide (True 1st prt)
Dwarven Glory (1st prt)
Dwarven Glory (2nd prt)  
Dwarven Glory (3rd prt)  
R7-10  "Dwarven" Quest for the Rod of Seven Parts
R3  Egg of the Phoenix
R3 Pt 1  Egg of the Phoenix (pre-publication)
RPGA4  Elixir of Life
Fantasy Worlds newsletter (any issue)
First Quest Music Album (cassette)
First Quest Music Album (vinyl)
RPGA3  Forgotten King
Ghost Tower of Inverness (ltd)
Ghost Tower of Inverness (ltd DM copy)
Ghost Tower of Inverness (ltd Staff copy)
Ghost Tower of Inverness (ltd Design copy)
R5  Great Bugbear Hunt (tournament version)
Greyhawk: Supplement I (True 1st prt)
Greyhawk: Supplement I (1st prt)
Hex Pad
Hex Sheets (Games Workshop)
Hex Sheets (TSR)
R2  Investigation of Hydell
R2  Investigation of Hydell (pre-publication)
Jade Hare (coverless):
Jade Hare (w/cover)
Lost Caverns of Tsojconth (mono)  
Lost Tamoachan (ltd)  
Lost Tamoachan (ltd DM copy)
Lost Tamoachan (ltd Staff copy)  
Lost Tamoachan (ltd Complementary copy)  
Monster Manual (1st prt)  
Original D&D Set (woodgrain, prepub)  
Original D&D Set (woodgrain, 1st prt)  
Original D&D Set (woodgrain, 2nd prt)  
Original D&D Set (woodgrain, 3rd prt)
Outdoor Geomorphs (1st prt)
Outdoor Geomorphs (2nd/3rd prt)  
B3  Palace of the Silver Princess (orange)    
Palace of the Vampire Queen (1st)    
Palace of the Vampire Queen (2nd)    
Palace of the Vampire Queen (3rd)
Palace of the Vampire Queen (4th)
Palace of the Vampire Queen (5th)
Pharaoh (Daystar West)
AC5  Player Character Record Sheets (1984)
Players Handbook (True 1st prt)
Players Handbook (1st prt)
Quadrille Graph Paper
Quest for the Fazzlewood (1st)
Quest for the Fazzlewood (2nd)
RPGA1  Rahasia
Rahasia (Daystar West)
Secrets of the Sages newsletter
Strategic Preview issue #3
Strategic Preview issue #4
Strategic Preview issue #5
Strategic Preview issue #6
Strategic Review issue #1
Strategic Review issue #2
Strategic Review issue #3
Strategic Review issue #4
Strategic Review issue #5
Strategic Review issue #6
Strategic Review issue #7
R1  To the Aid of Falx
R1  To the Aid of Falx (pre-publication)
TSR Spotlight newsletter
TSR Worlds newsletter (any issue)  
Understanding D&D
ST1  Up the Garden Path
Wild Things (with WSG)
Wild Things (without WSG)
Your Personal Invitation to Adventure

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:30 am 

RPGA1-4 set by the one and only Creepie...no bids yet, wonder why:

http://cgi.ebay.com/D-D-AD-D-RPGA-R-SER ... dZViewItem

Or maybe Creepie can interest you in a R3 Egg of the Phoenix...or maybe not:

http://cgi.ebay.com/D-D-AD-D-TSR-RPGA-T ... dZViewItem

Creepie is going to sell you one of these or die trying!  Here's his take on R2 Investigation of Hydell:

http://cgi.ebay.com/D-D-AD-D-TSR-RPGA-T ... dZViewItem

Here's another seller with R4 Doc's Island, although the pics make the item look a little more worn than the description indicates:

http://cgi.ebay.com/R-4-Docs-Island-D-D ... dZViewItem

BTW in case anyone missed it, the final price and winner of the RPGA tourney copy of Ravenloft II sold last month....congrats Killjoy! Let us know what it looks like when it arrives.  This has to qualify as pretty darn rare, I don't remember if or when we've ever seen one of these on Ebay before:

[url]http://cgi.ebay.com/RPGA-tourney-copy-R ... dZViewItem[url][/url][/url]

Recent sale of R1 To the Aid of Falx, and by the same seller RPGA3 The Forgotten King:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dungeons-and-Dragon ... dZViewItem

http://search-completed.ebay.com/search ... p=3&fsoo=2

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:02 am 

Been waiting through the upgrade period to post this one:

"Mint" Tsojconth - $1895.  8O

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... %3AIT&rd=1

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:32 am 

Actually, that was a mint "Tsojonth"...

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:51 am 

Fairly big spike at the end there too   :(

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:57 am 

afoolandhis$ wrote:Actually, that was a mint "Tsojonth"...

With about 9 hours to go, I received an email pointing out this auction to me (with the message:  At the request of a friend, I saw this on eBay and thought you might be interested. It does not appear that anyone else has picked up on it existance and current bid.).

The ebay member was davidvfoster who I am not familiar with . . . anyone else receive this message?  At first I thought it was an ebay phishing scam . . . after verifying it on ebay, I then thought that lumberjacques realized his mistake in the listing (and if there was less than 12 hours left, he couldn't even end it).  I guessed that he might have send this to all acaeum forums members who had the same ebay name.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:01 am 

beyondthebreach wrote:
afoolandhis$ wrote:Actually, that was a mint "Tsojonth"...

With about 9 hours to go, I received an email pointing out this auction to me (with the message: At the request of a friend, I saw this on eBay and thought you might be interested. It does not appear that anyone else has picked up on it existance and current bid.).

The ebay member was davidvfoster who I am not familiar with . . . anyone else receive this message? At first I thought it was an ebay phishing scam . . . after verifying it on ebay, I then thought that lumberjacques realized his mistake in the listing (and if there was less than 12 hours left, he couldn't even end it). I guessed that he might have send this to all acaeum forums members who had the same ebay name.

Curious.  I haven't a clue who that might be.

Tyson and I picked up on it within a few hours of the start of the auction, and I was hoping it wouldn't get posted here.  I guess it didn't matter in the end, though.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:09 am 

deimos3428 wrote:Been waiting through the upgrade period to post this one:

"Mint" Tsojconth - $1895. 8O

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... %3AIT&rd=1

I wonder if the auction ending at the time the forum was down had any effect on the final price?  A few get their updates here....I know I didn't see this until the auction was almost over.
  I find the descriptive text very intriguing in spots.  I'll copy it here, and post a few thoughts:

Starts @ .02! Mint --- new and sealed in original zip lock bag --- no writing, tears, folds, etc. THE LOST CAVERNS OF TSOJCONTH designed by the legendary Gary Gygax for MichiCon V. 2 levels --- the Lesser and Greater Caverns. 6 characters. Is this the rarest D&D module of all? This is your chance to own an original copy. I worked on the design, was a dm for it at the con and played in it with a group. (And named all 6 characters!) It's my name and address on the back cover and I'm still at the same address. From 1976 --- I've kept this for almost 30 years now! There are 17 printed pages including the front and back. One single sheet is folded with printing on the front, inside front cover, inside back cover and back.  5 inside sheets double printed and 3 inside single side printed. There's general info on the dungeon, referees' notes, maps of both the lesser and greater caverns with location and monster info, monster characteristics sheets. character vs. monster hit/damage matrix sheets, 2 drawings of locations in the lesser caverns, drawings of monsters from the greater caverns, detailed info on the 6 characters. Scan didn't process the colors correctly --- it's actually a buff color. I will include a short note regarding this module and my involvement with it.  It was later reprinted as "The Lost Caverns of Tsojanth."  It was extensively rewritten and revised for that printing to correspond to the then current D&D rules.  There is no BIN price.  No I won't and have never made a copy of it.  Please email with any questions. PayPal and money orders. $4.00 for secure shipping by priority mail. Combined shipping available. Insurance extra and will depend upon final value. Foreign and Canada please email for exact cost.  Insurance available outside the U.S. with certain mailing selections. I can usually ship the same day that payment clears. I don't like to wait either. Bid Now! Keep Playing D&D! Thanks for looking. Happy Bidding!

First, if in the condition indicated, and with that pedigree, that's a pretty amazing copy to have.  The "short note" about the seller's involvement and such would be a very nice inclusion, I have to believe the pedigree would make this one of the most desirable of Tso's (plus the note is nice for establishing the lineage of this item if it is resold).

But the most interesting sentence is "No I won't and have never made a copy of it"!!!!!!!! 8O   Does this mean he was asked to copy this for people for perhaps a nominal (or not so nominal) price outside of the auction?  See my comments in other threads about counterfeiting Rares...wouldn't this be one of the easier ones to counterfeit? (This is without having seen one of course).  I guess we could read nefarious motives or just simple curiousity into inquiry by outside people.  From the comments of others who have purchased rares on Ebay we know someone out there is trying to poach prices from legitimate buyers.  I still think we will live to see the day someone tries to make an industry out of printing out easy to copy rares and selling them......

Of course, all the runner up bidders should brace themselves for the inevitible fake "second buyer" emails due any day now... :evil:

Mike B.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:16 am 

Badmike wrote:First, if in the condition indicated, and with that pedigree, that's a pretty amazing copy to have. The "short note" about the seller's involvement and such would be a very nice inclusion, I have to believe the pedigree would make this one of the most desirable of Tso's (plus the note is nice for establishing the lineage of this item if it is resold).

Agreed.  I think that explains why the last one he sold went for close to the same price.

As for the note about making or having made copies, I think in the past he's been asked whether his rares are originals or not.  Or maybe he saw the discussion here about the Fazzle he had up for sale recently.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:17 am 

I'd asked Howard (lumberjacques) before Christmas when his next one might be coming up.

He'd said in 2-4 weeks, so I had it covered under a few searches so I wouldn't miss it.

Glad it come up on my searches.

With 9 hrs to go the price was very low compared to the final prices that recent ones had sold from him IIRC

The name on the message seems vaguely familiar from a while ago but can't quite put my finger on it. Was it the same person who was in discussions when it came to light that he had the stash hidden away?

I didn't pick up on the misspelling on the title though  8O

Tunnel (cavern) vision maybe  :lol:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:37 am 

AdderMcOne wrote:I'd asked Howard (lumberjacques) before Christmas when his next one might be coming up.

He'd said in 2-4 weeks, so I had it covered under a few searches so I wouldn't miss it.

Glad it come up on my searches.

With 9 hrs to go the price was very low compared to the final prices that recent ones had sold from him IIRC

The name on the message seems vaguely familiar from a while ago but can't quite put my finger on it. Was it the same person who was in discussions when it came to light that he had the stash hidden away?

I didn't pick up on the misspelling on the title though 8O

Tunnel (cavern) vision maybe :lol:

What did the last Tso go for???  Interested in comparing if the price went up or down, or if the mispelling affected the final price.  
  Any ballpark figure how many of these Lumber has stashed away? It would be to his advantage not to let anyone know if he's got, say, a couple hundo in a box somewhere.

Mike B.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:44 am 

Badmike wrote:   What did the last Tso go for??? Interested in comparing if the price went up or down, or if the mispelling affected the final price.
 Any ballpark figure how many of these Lumber has stashed away? It would be to his advantage not to let anyone know if he's got, say, a couple hundo in a box somewhere.

Mike B.

I've got it on my pc at home.  I think it was slightly over $1800.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:16 am 

IIRC (again) he hasn't been nailed down on exactly how many he has (smart move), though I think the magic figure toted by others was around 10 - same as the box located elsewhere.

There's been postings previously in a discussion about him, but I couldn't find it in the threads just now, whereby he advised that he was selling them every now and then so as not to 'flood the market' (even smarter move)

It was an interesting thread and detailed how he had the fore-sight to keep (insert number) of copies when they came out.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:30 am 

AdderMcOne wrote:
There's been postings previously in a discussion about him, but I couldn't find it in the threads just now, whereby he advised that he was selling them every now and then so as not to 'flood the market' (even smarter move)

I have queried him about this in the past - and he was quite vague about the numbers (sensibly).  I suppose 10 sounds (in some kind of odd way) about right - but it could easily be 50  

8O

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:43 am 

I seem to recall that there was talk about a 'verified stash of 10' in the not to distant past (did IO mention this?) - does anyone know if that is what is meant by lumberjacques's stash or is that another stash?

Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:59 pm 

That was a stash that I was aware of.  It was a female, selling off the contents of a store that she and her husband had bought.  She found a box of these in the back somewhere.  She wasn't quite sure what they were, so she contacted me, and helpfully provided scans of whatever I wished.  I'm pretty certain the whole thing was legit.  (I may have even gotten my copy from her... can't remember).

This was quite some time ago... maybe four years now.  She put them all up on eBay, about one a month, and of course made a fortune.  Haven't heard from her since.  Towards the end of the run, the price on Tsoj was starting to collapse; I think they were selling for the high $500's, because most of the big collectors had already picked one up, and everyone was beginning to believe the module was fairly common.

Foul

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:22 pm 

Many thanks.
Certainly the price has recovered now!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:23 pm 

red_bus wrote:Many thanks.
Certainly the price has recovered now!

No s@#t!!  8O

There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

Next