Newbie questions
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:22 pm 

Hi,

Since I'm new to this group, I thought I'd introduce myself and ask a few newbie questions.

First, I am a TSR enthusiast from Vancouver, BC. I've sold stuff to (and bought stuff from) many people in this group but I've been fairly quiet the last couple of years having relocated to Dallas.

I guess my only real claim to fame is that I have Jim Roslof's entire collection which he was nice enough to sell to me. (I'm happy that he's taken an interest in selling artwork to some of the members here). Of course, most of y'alls collections probably dwarf mine but that's neither here nor there.

My questions are these:

1. Does anyone track Gamma World, Star Frontiers, etc. material? I love the nostalgia and the artwork.

2. Looking at GW/SF auctions gives me an idea of what items are worth, but some are rare enough that I'm not sure about. For instance, 10th anniversary sets were released for GW. Does anyone have a guess at a value for a shrinked set? Some of those oldschool miniature boxsets are also extremely hard to find.

3. I have a lot of bits and pieces of D&D material like maps and the like. Do any of you get together and mix and match pieces locally? For instance, I have Scourge of the Slavelords map but no module; Kara-Tur components but not the box.

4. Is there a listing of all the miniature boxsets that were sold under the TSR and Grenadier banners?

5. Where are the best places to hit in Dallas to buy reasonably cheap 80's D&D stuff... okay, okay but I had to try :)

Thanks in advance.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:59 pm 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:Hi,

Since I'm new to this group, I thought I'd introduce myself and ask a few newbie questions.

First, I am a TSR enthusiast from Vancouver, BC. I've sold stuff to (and bought stuff from) many people in this group but I've been fairly quiet the last couple of years having relocated to Dallas.

I guess my only real claim to fame is that I have Jim Roslof's entire collection which he was nice enough to sell to me. (I'm happy that he's taken an interest in selling artwork to some of the members here). Of course, most of y'alls collections probably dwarf mine but that's neither here nor there.

My questions are these:

1. Does anyone track Gamma World, Star Frontiers, etc. material? I love the nostalgia and the artwork.

2. Looking at GW/SF auctions gives me an idea of what items are worth, but some are rare enough that I'm not sure about. For instance, 10th anniversary sets were released for GW. Does anyone have a guess at a value for a shrinked set? Some of those oldschool miniature boxsets are also extremely hard to find.

3. I have a lot of bits and pieces of D&D material like maps and the like. Do any of you get together and mix and match pieces locally? For instance, I have Scourge of the Slavelords map but no module; Kara-Tur components but not the box.

4. Is there a listing of all the miniature boxsets that were sold under the TSR and Grenadier banners?

No one has really delved deeply into the non-D&D aspects of 80's TSR, such as Star Frontiers, Boot Hill, Gamma World, Gangbusters, etc.  Maybe you can start collecting data and posting on it, you might be able to start your own subweb like the Planescape or Judges Guild ones.
    I live in the Midcities right outside DFW airport. I don't know about KingofPain (the other local collector I keep up with) but I have an entire TWO files cabinets full of bits and pieces.  I could be enticed into trading pieces we both need, as a matter of fact King and I got together New Year's Eve and did a bit of bartering (and that bastard managed to stick me with yet ANOTHER set of Wizard Spell Cards, dang it!) I don't know where in Dallas you are located at, but maybe you can join our little North Texas Acaeum get together the next time and we can share some stories and swap pieces of boxed sets.
    Seeing as you have Jim Roslof's collection, that is an intriguing tale that needs to be told!!!  What was in there exactly?  Any Rares? Any Prepubs? Any Gygax signed items? Jim sign anything?  Any sketches?  I just had a piece of artwork done by him and was impressed with his professionalism, seems like a nice guy.
    As for the box sets, I would bet my life some of the miniatures collectors on these boards have that nailed down pretty well.

5. Where are the best places to hit in Dallas to buy reasonably cheap 80's D&D stuff... okay, okay but I had to try :)

Over my dead body......!  :twisted:  
Unfortunately Dallas is, for a large city, unusually barren in regards to any sort of used game stores.  The local franchise, Lone Star Comics, barely realizes that D&D is still being published today, and they carry no used items.  The last really good used gamestore in Dallas closed about ten years ago. You might hit a Half price books now and then and hopefully get lucky.  Unlike Dallas, both Austin and Houston have several pretty nice new and used gamestores if you ever end up in either city. BTW, you are NOT allowed to search for used gaming materials west of I35, that is officially my territory, you might have to work something out with KingofPain as he's in Plano and I believe north of 635 is his staked out property  :D  Just kidding, I think. Anyway, welcome to the Acaeum!  

Mike B.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:27 pm 

I don't do as much trading/collecting as I'd like to nowadays.. but I'm a sucker for shrinkwrapped items so we might touch base in a week or two :)

As to Roslof, he had a couple interesting items, like OB3, staff newsletters, "old" shrinkwrapped items like G1, G2, etc if that's considered old, editor's notes on X2, etc.. but nothing too outrageous. I sold off most of the excess a couple years ago. I remember being upset when I found out the OB3 was not in shrink and so he was nice enough to sign a couple things for me. Seemed like a nice guy particularly given I may not have been the most diplomatic at the time.. heck, he even took a picture or two for me.

I'd really like to get a colored painting or poster done by Erol Otus or Roslof but I just don't have the cash nowadays.

Thanks for the info on GW and the miniatures; hopefully someone else can chime in 'cos I'm a pretty big collector of them. I know the 10th Anniv. sets for D&D go for crazy money so I figured I'd ask about the GW sets.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:51 pm 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:4. Is there a listing of all the miniature boxsets that were sold under the TSR and Grenadier banners?

The place to go to for Grenadier AD&D Gold Boxes and the TSR AD&D miniature line is:

http://www.solegends.com

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:18 am 

If anyone is ever looking for fairly common "pieces" from modules or box sets (maps, covers, page 27 etc) feel free to drop me an email and I can keep an eye out for them.  I work out of a small space, so I don't try to mix and match spare parts I get ahold of, so they usually just get thrown into a set of books I'm selling anyhow just to keep a clean space.