Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:25 am 

Posted in Classifieds  :D .

Let mirth prevail!

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:34 am 

Does anyone have thoughts on pieces? I have been thinking that metal pieces would look too randam.. can anyone give me some feedback on the though or using some of those Wizkids/wizard of the Coast pre painted mini's at all? I think they might be the right size but am unsure as I have never seen one.. you would want pieces similar in size, dragon may be a problem.. thoughts from people that have these in their colections??

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:56 am 

beasterbrook wrote:Does anyone have thoughts on pieces? I have been thinking that metal pieces would look too randam.. can anyone give me some feedback on the though or using some of those Wizkids/wizard of the Coast pre painted mini's at all? I think they might be the right size but am unsure as I have never seen one.. you would want pieces similar in size, dragon may be a problem.. thoughts from people that have these in their colections??

I just had a crazy thought.  I'll be going to Haiti in a month and then returning there in March.  You stated way back in this thread that your dream board might have pieces carved from wood.

beasterbrook wrote: I even drew a sketch of my "dream" board.. something I think that could only be made in a place like Thailand from a wood carver there...

I wonder if I could find someone who could carve your pieces fairly cheap as labor costs over there are insanely low ($2.00 a day on average). I'd need fairly detailed images/photos of what you wanted as well as size specifications, but it might be worth a shot.  I could imagine several people on these forums might be interested in such a possibility.

You'd need to know however that the carving may not be all that detailed, but lots of medieval chess pieces were fairly crude and that might add to their authenticity.  8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:56 pm 

I fully intend to paint minis for use, and may even create some variant rules for variant pieces/minis (hmmm.....).  I've got ideas for how to build a frame to hold the boards, but haven't made time to sketch them out for Pernille yet.  Over the Christmas holidays, hopefully!

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:10 pm 

Here are some pics of the game I recently made and played (I lost).

Top Board 1

Top Board 2

Middle Board 1

Middle Board 2

Bottom Board 1

Bottom Board 2

Whole set up 1

I have the list somewhere of which D&D minis I used... I think since this time (03-2007) that I have new minis that would suit certain pieces better.

Aluvial

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:39 pm 

That's a lot of pieces!  I forgot how large a game it was/is.   8O

Nice pieces and set up though.   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:28 pm 

Thats what I'm talking about..

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:02 am 

Let see from the picture...

The bottom board has dwarves and duergar, a fire and earth elemental, basalisks and howlers.

The top board has Hippogriffs, a silver dragon (not D&D) sorcerers on good's side.  I used spectres or wraiths, a red dragon and those rainbow snakes... (coatyl???)

The middle board is more complicated.  The good guys got elven guard as pawns...  I see blue dragonspawn, centaurs, armored monks (I think these are listed as fighters, rogues, clerics of cuthbert, a archwizard, a marshall (I think, female in plate) and the aspect of moradin.  Evil gets xeph warriors, otyugh, some mounted chargers, some other rouge/assassin, rangers?, drow clerics, I see the lich with the robe of eyes and Lareth the Beautiful, and a fire giant king.

My spelling and recollection is poor, but I think that is the idea.  I'm sure I could field better pieces as I've collected all the miniatures, from all of the sets...

Aluvial

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:56 am 

Allan...I see your boards are ready for shipping.  This time, the individual squares received a lighter fusing treatment in the kilns, resulting in greater definition of the spaces on the board, a really nice touch.  They look fantastic.

Shipping rates went up a bit since Paul's and Doug's orders a while ago, so P is going to take a bit of a hit on that, but no big deal.  

Enjoy!  :D

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:43 am 

bombadil wrote:Allan...I see your boards are ready for shipping.  This time, the individual squares received a lighter fusing treatment in the kilns, resulting in greater definition of the spaces on the board, a really nice touch.  They look fantastic.

Thanks Stephen, I'm really looking forward to these! :D

I've got two different ideas for how to structure the frames to hold the boards, and perhaps with some luck and skilled welding, they can be combined into a single board that'll serve both functions.  We'll see.  I'll send you and Pernille sketches once I get a chance to sit down and draw them out.

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:22 am 

The boards arrived safe and sound earlier in the week, Stephen :D  I'll shoot some pics of them (if Pernille hasn't already before sending them?) so interested folks can compare these to the style of the earlier boards.

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:29 pm 

Any one have a picture of the fused glass dragonchess boards ? The old links don't work any more.  I am building a set out of acrylic and would love to see the glass  version.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:36 pm 

I can post mine over the weekend, was planning to shoot some pics of them anyway to see about getting a frame built.

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:39 pm 

I have been looking for a project, besides house remodelling, and I think I've just found one. I can't wait to see additional pictures. :D

Carpe DM!

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:44 am 

Attachment:
Dragonchess with copper tube.jpg

Thanks Allan.  This will be my second Dragonchess set.  Attached is a picture of the original set I made with a friend. About 25 years ago.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:17 pm 

Here are pics of my boards, made by Stephen's wife Pernille.  Each board is ~21"x15" with 1.5" squares.

1) The Air Board - the top/highest of the three boards, with light-blue and white squares.

2) Close-up of the Air Board - the white squares are opaque, but the blue are translucent. You can see the pad to raise the bottom of the board off of the table surface as well, in this shot.

3) The Oerth Board - the middle the three boards, with light-green and amber squares.

4) Close-up of the Oerth board, with its light-green and amber squares.

5) Underworld Board - the bottom/lowest of the three boards, with red and brown squares.

6) Close-up of the Underworld board: red and brown squares (which look closer to the amber in color when held up against the light than they do at the table).

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Previous