PDFs vs originals and their impact on collecting...
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:19 pm 

I think the OB3 was the one that accidentally fell in the toilet when I opened it. Don't worry, I dried it off well before I reshrinked it!
I understand Giorgio's point though. A shrinked OB3 will stay that way, because you can view all the art for free. So the OB3 PDF does indeed hurt the value, otherwise a shrinky would be worth twice as much.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:03 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:I think the OB3 was the one that accidentally fell in the toilet when I opened it. Don't worry, I dried it off well before I reshrinked it!
I understand Giorgio's point though. A shrinked OB3 will stay that way, because you can view all the art for free. So the OB3 PDF does indeed hurt the value, otherwise a shrinky would be worth twice as much.

but does it hurt the value? if i had one (yeah right i wish), i would never open it, but would get something like a PDF so i could see what the fuss was all about. as for buying one, i would still want the actual item, rather than the PDF and would still pay whatever the worth was (ie. how far the rush of blood takes you :D )

i had PDFs of R1 to R4, before i had them. didnt stop me getting them and paying whatever i had to to get them.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:50 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:I just bought my first PDF from Paizo ... and, coincidentally I just bought my final PDF from them, too.

Thanks for all the ideas, guys, but I just trashed it — the way I look at it, I shouldn't have to have a computer science degree to enjoy a PDF.

The old cliche really applies here: "it's not the money, it's the principle of the thing." Paizo's watermarking is way, way too intrusive, and until they decide to change their methods, I'll take my PDF business to RPGnow (not that I buy a lot of them in the first place, but, again, it's the principle).

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:36 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:
Xaxaxe wrote:I just bought my first PDF from Paizo ... and, coincidentally I just bought my final PDF from them, too.

Thanks for all the ideas, guys, but I just trashed it — the way I look at it, I shouldn't have to have a computer science degree to enjoy a PDF.

The old cliche really applies here: "it's not the money, it's the principle of the thing." Paizo's watermarking is way, way too intrusive, and until they decide to change their methods, I'll take my PDF business to RPGnow (not that I buy a lot of them in the first place, but, again, it's the principle).

Thanks for the heads up...I might buy ONE from Paizo just to see if I have the same problems, and if so, that will be it from them.

Mike B.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:54 am 

Badmike wrote:
radagast wrote:
(I bought a SW OB3 from Frank and I'll never open it. But I've never read that module (nor downloaded it): I don't care about the text or the adventure, I wanted the module (just like now I want a ST1). I bought a coverless Jade Hare from Mike. It is not SW but I've never opened or read it. I have it: that's enough.) :D :D

Cheers
Giorgio

Wow, then you
missed the piece of gum I stuck between pages 4 and 5!

:twisted:

Mike B.

Mike ...
I've noticed that but I thought it was part of the module ... :wink:

Deadlord36 wrote:I think the OB3 was the one that accidentally fell in the toilet when I opened it. Don't worry, I dried it off well before I reshrinked it!

Now I understand why it seems so ... wet under the shrink  8)

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:19 am 

I realize that I'm dredging up old arguments here but it's something I think should be re-evaluated after so many years. I think we should add to the Misc collectibles section the actual free giveaways for the 2e Gold promotion and the Dragonlance Legends of the Lance newsletter.

Even though pdf's do exist of some of these items or were offered for download way back by WotC, those pdf's were seriously not anywhere useable to make even good quality forgeries (If someone even wanted to go through all that trouble). A few people had made those comments previously and I completely agree. The quality of the pdf's is just not even close to what's required when you look at the actual giveaways, not to mention you'd have to get the same glossy paper stock, etc.

I remember several years ago when Shelley was selling off lots of gold promotional items, many of them were selling for collectible amounts too. So obviously they do have a collectible value to them.

TSR Gold and other promo items

Legends of the Lance newsletter

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:24 am 

There have been (not sure if still are) PDFS of TSR Products and many other RPG Companies on some of the Torrent sites.

D&D, AD&D, Gamma World, MSH, Dragon 1-335, Dungeon 1-150, Strategic Review.  Along with Paranoia, Palladium Products, Robotech, White Dwarf 1-330 and many others.

All available to download for free, that's what they mean by piracy I suppose.  :x

Make them pay as much as they think they can afford...J.R. "Bob" Dobbs

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:57 pm 

The issue that needs to be tackled in today's society is one of one of personal moral boundaries. We live in a world with such free access to the most powerful of tools, and all have the opportunities to share or distribute whatever information becomes available to us, at the click of a mouse, with virtually no tracability, no possibility of prosecution, and no accountability to anyone other than our own moral compass and our maker.

To my mind, piracy per se is no real topic for arguement/discussion, as there remains no bastion or barrier to push against, no fence upon which to sit, no side to take. The world around us has chosen that all creative content be freely availabel to all, and that we are trusted to recognise and compensate the talent that created it.

And maybe today's talent does not command such kudos it may once have done, a few decades ago, and maybe new talent is dilutes somewhat by the alsorans. Welcome to the new world we have created. Sooner or later, no-one will even care if you post links to other people's work on forums like this (except those who own the forum and have the right to set it's moral character). There will come a time when Copyright Law will have no teeth left.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:04 pm 

Sorry. Couldn't be ars#'d spellchecking. Happy New Year, folks. Can't believe it's been ten years since I bought City of the Revenant (I introduced myself after losing to Improv' in the auction for Planes of Existence) Still regret no going all in on that auction.  :D   Happy New Year, everyone. As many of you know, all I have left is my PDFs.  :(

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:40 pm 

Hey Ian,

Happy New Year to you.  How are things going in Dubai?

Hope all well  :)

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:02 pm 

IAN! Happy New Year, man!

This forum and the people in it are without question adding to the sales AND VALUE of RPG products, be they hardcopy or PDF. Companies like RPGNow have us at least in part to thank; we draw in new members and players, and regularly steer them to places like that. You could argue that they would be virtually UNKNOWN if not for places like this. Additionally, to charge $5 for a PDF of a common module is insulting; I can get the hardcopy for cheaper in most cases. So, in my useless and nonhumble opinion, I am OK with any of us having and using PDFs of items for gaming or reading, even if we don't own the item. There is not a hell of a lot I haven't owned at one point or another, and none of us is selling PDFs. None of us is going to pay for a PDF of Keep on the Borderlands, partly because we own/have owned it, partly because free PDFs ARE available, and partly because our interest in them is reading/gaming.
Everyone here has illegally used MP3's, and that DOES directly impact sales of recordings. So, if I decide to use a PDF of B3, I have no issues with it. The price of the PDF is probably the same as a hardcopy, and even if not, like I said, in my mind they owe us. To the best of my knowledge, none of the PDF sellers has ever donated to the Acaeum, one of the very places that keeps them in existence. It is a case of bare minimal if any damage done when one of us has a PDF, and again, the sellers of them aren't high in my ranking right now.
So, fuck 'em.
The reason I am weighing in on this is that I am liquidating just about all of my hardcopies aside from super-thrashed stuff to use for gaming. I want them to be out there and used/collected by others, especially new generations, to foster interest in the game and collecting. However, I want to be able to run my kids through modules. Therefore, I "may" have acquired some PDFs in order to do so. Some of the ones I want, like L3 Deep Dwarven Delve, I haven't found yet, but in the case of that one I'm not even sure a "legal" PDF exists, and TSR already made their profit on the sale of my hardcopy.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:52 am 

Deadlord wrote in PDFs vs originals and their impact on collecting...:None of us is going to pay for a PDF of Keep on the Borderlands, partly because we own/have owned it, partly because free PDFs ARE available, and partly because our interest in them is reading/gaming.

I don't mind spending money on a PDF of something I already own. I have, in fact, paid money for a legal PDF of Keep on the Borderlands even though I already have several print copies. There is value to me in having a searchable electronic copy.
Some of the ones I want, like L3 Deep Dwarven Delve, I haven't found yet, but in the case of that one I'm not even sure a "legal" PDF exists, and TSR already made their profit on the sale of my hardcopy.

You can buy a legal PDF copy of Deep Dwarven Delve here, if you are so inclined.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:46 am 

Echohawk wrote in PDFs vs originals and their impact on collecting...:I don't mind spending money on a PDF of something I already own. I have, in fact, paid money for a legal PDF of Keep on the Borderlands even though I already have several print copies. There is value to me in having a searchable electronic copy.

If I recall correctly, the copyright laws allow for you to make a copy (for private, personal use only) of something you already own.

Previous