PDFs vs originals and their impact on collecting...
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 5 of 612, 3, 4, 56
Author

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6246
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: Apr 21, 2021
Location: UK

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:09 am 
 

Ok. Who actually cares?

Is there anyone here who has a problem with WoTC lisencing companies to sell PDFs?

Breach of copyright is a different matter. That is not what was discussed here, and that belongs on another thread.

Who honestly cares whether WoTC decide to sell PDFs or not?

It is their property. They are free to do with it as they will.


This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

 WWW  


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 144
Joined: Apr 26, 2005
Last Visit: Apr 02, 2020
Location: Rhosgobel

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:14 am 
 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Ok. Who actually cares?

Is there anyone here who has a problem with WoTC lisencing companies to sell PDFs?

Breach of copyright is a different matter. That is not what was discussed here, and that belongs on another thread.

Who honestly cares whether WoTC decide to sell PDFs or not?

It is their property. They are free to do with it as they will.


Something I've said???  :?:

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:49 am 
 

one thing i was wondering about. RPGnow sells them on their site legally, which i have no problem with at all.

how come they dont sell them on ebay? best market-place in the world i guess......would seem the way to go. they are not breaching copyright as they have licence to sell them...

any thoughts?

Al

Ps> Giorgio: yes it is something you said. Italians always cause trouble :D



  


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 144
Joined: Apr 26, 2005
Last Visit: Apr 02, 2020
Location: Rhosgobel

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:53 am 
 

killjoy32 wrote:Ps> Giorgio: yes it is something you said. Italians always cause trouble :D


Ahhhh. OK. Now I understand.  :D  :wink:  :D

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6246
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: Apr 21, 2021
Location: UK

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:10 am 
 

Maybe its written into their ESD lisence with WoTC.


This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

 WWW  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3066
Joined: Jul 09, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 30, 2015

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:48 am 
 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Ok. Who actually cares?

Is there anyone here who has a problem with WoTC lisencing companies to sell PDFs?

I do, but I think I already made that point.  Moving on...

Who honestly cares whether WoTC decide to sell PDFs or not?

It is their property. They are free to do with it as they will.

I suppose legally they are allowed to do with it as they will.  Big deal.  That doesn't mean I have to like it, or buy it.  That doesn't make it any less of a money grab.  Being a copyright holder doesn't make you somehow infallible.  Successful companies are responsible to their customers and their fanbase.

 YIM  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3066
Joined: Jul 09, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 30, 2015

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:01 am 
 

FoulFoot wrote:I believe .PDF files are stored as images, so there won't be any text strings. You need OCR software to convert PDFs to Word documents, for instance (and it usually doesn't do a good job).

Actually, there are, I just created one to make sure.  :)
 
PDFs are binary files, but they aren't purely images (apparently they can contain JFIF, aka. "JPEG" files).  The text of the document itself isn't viewable from a hex editor, but likely an "extra feature" like watermarking would be, you'd need to experiment a bit.  The headers are text strings, for example.  
Please note I said a hex editor (debug), not a text editor (notepad).  :wink:

Nobody out-off-topics deimos!  8)

 YIM  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6246
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: Apr 21, 2021
Location: UK

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:14 am 
 

deimos3428 wrote:I suppose legally they are allowed to do with it as they will. Big deal. That doesn't mean I have to like it, or buy it. That doesn't make it any less of a money grab. Being a copyright holder doesn't make you somehow infallible. Successful companies are responsible to their customers and their fanbase.

I think Loraine McWilliams successfully separated Dungeons & Dragons from it's fanbase.

Aside...

I know this guy who sells cars. He gets real pissed off that people buy and sell second hand cars 'cos it reduces demand for his cars, and it drives down prices.

If you have a rare D&D product, does it not really piss you off when someone else sells one on eBay. Because that reduces its perceived rarity and will impact on the price you get for yours when you sell it?


This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7949
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Apr 15, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:58 am 
 

radagast wrote:
(I bought a SW OB3 from Frank and I'll never open it. But I've never read that module (nor downloaded it): I don't care about the text or the adventure, I wanted the module (just like now I want a ST1). I bought a coverless Jade Hare from Mike. It is not SW but I've never opened or read it. I have it: that's enough.) :D :D


Cheers
Giorgio


Wow, then you
missed the piece of gum I stuck between pages 4 and 5!

:twisted:

Mike B.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:06 pm 
 

Badmike wrote:
Wow, then you
missed the piece of gum I stuck between pages 4 and 5!

:twisted:

Mike B.


mike that is truly evil! :D



  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5626
Joined: Jun 30, 2003
Last Visit: Apr 04, 2021
Location: New Hampsha

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:19 pm 
 

I think the OB3 was the one that accidentally fell in the toilet when I opened it. Don't worry, I dried it off well before I reshrinked it!
I understand Giorgio's point though. A shrinked OB3 will stay that way, because you can view all the art for free. So the OB3 PDF does indeed hurt the value, otherwise a shrinky would be worth twice as much.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:03 pm 
 

Deadlord36 wrote:I think the OB3 was the one that accidentally fell in the toilet when I opened it. Don't worry, I dried it off well before I reshrinked it!
I understand Giorgio's point though. A shrinked OB3 will stay that way, because you can view all the art for free. So the OB3 PDF does indeed hurt the value, otherwise a shrinky would be worth twice as much.


but does it hurt the value? if i had one (yeah right i wish), i would never open it, but would get something like a PDF so i could see what the fuss was all about. as for buying one, i would still want the actual item, rather than the PDF and would still pay whatever the worth was (ie. how far the rush of blood takes you :D )

i had PDFs of R1 to R4, before i had them. didnt stop me getting them and paying whatever i had to to get them.

Al



  


Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 2884
Joined: Nov 04, 2004
Last Visit: May 09, 2020

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:50 pm 
 

Xaxaxe wrote:I just bought my first PDF from Paizo ... and, coincidentally I just bought my final PDF from them, too.


Thanks for all the ideas, guys, but I just trashed it — the way I look at it, I shouldn't have to have a computer science degree to enjoy a PDF.

The old cliche really applies here: "it's not the money, it's the principle of the thing." Paizo's watermarking is way, way too intrusive, and until they decide to change their methods, I'll take my PDF business to RPGnow (not that I buy a lot of them in the first place, but, again, it's the principle).

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7949
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Apr 15, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:36 pm 
 

Xaxaxe wrote:
Xaxaxe wrote:I just bought my first PDF from Paizo ... and, coincidentally I just bought my final PDF from them, too.


Thanks for all the ideas, guys, but I just trashed it — the way I look at it, I shouldn't have to have a computer science degree to enjoy a PDF.

The old cliche really applies here: "it's not the money, it's the principle of the thing." Paizo's watermarking is way, way too intrusive, and until they decide to change their methods, I'll take my PDF business to RPGnow (not that I buy a lot of them in the first place, but, again, it's the principle).


Thanks for the heads up...I might buy ONE from Paizo just to see if I have the same problems, and if so, that will be it from them.

Mike B.

 WWW  


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 144
Joined: Apr 26, 2005
Last Visit: Apr 02, 2020
Location: Rhosgobel

Post Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:54 am 
 

Badmike wrote:
radagast wrote:
(I bought a SW OB3 from Frank and I'll never open it. But I've never read that module (nor downloaded it): I don't care about the text or the adventure, I wanted the module (just like now I want a ST1). I bought a coverless Jade Hare from Mike. It is not SW but I've never opened or read it. I have it: that's enough.) :D :D


Cheers
Giorgio


Wow, then you
missed the piece of gum I stuck between pages 4 and 5!

:twisted:

Mike B.


Mike ...
I've noticed that but I thought it was part of the module ... :wink:

Deadlord36 wrote:I think the OB3 was the one that accidentally fell in the toilet when I opened it. Don't worry, I dried it off well before I reshrinked it!


Now I understand why it seems so ... wet under the shrink  8)

  

User avatar

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 2655
Joined: Sep 25, 2007
Last Visit: Oct 05, 2020
Location: Southwest

Post Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:19 am 
 

I realize that I'm dredging up old arguments here but it's something I think should be re-evaluated after so many years. I think we should add to the Misc collectibles section the actual free giveaways for the 2e Gold promotion and the Dragonlance Legends of the Lance newsletter.

Even though pdf's do exist of some of these items or were offered for download way back by WotC, those pdf's were seriously not anywhere useable to make even good quality forgeries (If someone even wanted to go through all that trouble). A few people had made those comments previously and I completely agree. The quality of the pdf's is just not even close to what's required when you look at the actual giveaways, not to mention you'd have to get the same glossy paper stock, etc.

I remember several years ago when Shelley was selling off lots of gold promotional items, many of them were selling for collectible amounts too. So obviously they do have a collectible value to them.

TSR Gold and other promo items

Legends of the Lance newsletter

  

User avatar

Prolific Collector

Posts: 352
Joined: Oct 14, 2012
Last Visit: Apr 29, 2020
Location: Arkansas

Post Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:24 am 
 

There have been (not sure if still are) PDFS of TSR Products and many other RPG Companies on some of the Torrent sites.

D&D, AD&D, Gamma World, MSH, Dragon 1-335, Dungeon 1-150, Strategic Review.  Along with Paranoia, Palladium Products, Robotech, White Dwarf 1-330 and many others.

All available to download for free, that's what they mean by piracy I suppose.  :x


Make them pay as much as they think they can afford...J.R. "Bob" Dobbs

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6246
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: Apr 21, 2021
Location: UK

Post Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:57 pm 
 

The issue that needs to be tackled in today's society is one of one of personal moral boundaries. We live in a world with such free access to the most powerful of tools, and all have the opportunities to share or distribute whatever information becomes available to us, at the click of a mouse, with virtually no tracability, no possibility of prosecution, and no accountability to anyone other than our own moral compass and our maker.

To my mind, piracy per se is no real topic for arguement/discussion, as there remains no bastion or barrier to push against, no fence upon which to sit, no side to take. The world around us has chosen that all creative content be freely availabel to all, and that we are trusted to recognise and compensate the talent that created it.

And maybe today's talent does not command such kudos it may once have done, a few decades ago, and maybe new talent is dilutes somewhat by the alsorans. Welcome to the new world we have created. Sooner or later, no-one will even care if you post links to other people's work on forums like this (except those who own the forum and have the right to set it's moral character). There will come a time when Copyright Law will have no teeth left.


This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6246
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: Apr 21, 2021
Location: UK

Post Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:04 pm 
 

Sorry. Couldn't be ars#'d spellchecking. Happy New Year, folks. Can't believe it's been ten years since I bought City of the Revenant (I introduced myself after losing to Improv' in the auction for Planes of Existence) Still regret no going all in on that auction.  :D   Happy New Year, everyone. As many of you know, all I have left is my PDFs.  :(


This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

 WWW  


Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Posts: 2726
Joined: Feb 10, 2003
Last Visit: Apr 21, 2021
Location: Olde London Towne

Post Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:40 pm 
 

Hey Ian,

Happy New Year to you.  How are things going in Dubai?

Hope all well  :)


Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

  
PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 5 of 612, 3, 4, 56