PDFs vs originals and their impact on collecting...
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:12 pm 

In my case, Xaxaxe, it was mostly a cheap shot-- the 666 thing was too good to pass up.

I'd prefer the scans were better, but imho the fact that you can posters of Picassos doesn't devalue the real thing.  A scan will always be a scan and nothing more-- in most cases (I'm not talking blatant forgeries here) it won't be confused with the real thing.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:31 pm 

I'm onboard with the quality issue — I just spent some time reviewing some of my RPGnow purchases, and the first term that springs to mind is "inconsistent." All of the stuff from the DTP era is fine (as was pointed out somewhere above), but much of the older stuff ... well, if there was a smiley for a hand making the "so-so" gesture, I'd use it.

And, Brian ... come on, man ... I'm not trying to change (nor do I really expect to change) anyone's opinion on the PDF issue. In fact, forget the stupid PDFs, I have a more important question: why do some newcomers here — Titan and RPGnow are two that come to mind — introduce themselves with perfectly friendly, totally harmless posts** ... and then get the torches-and-pitchforks treatment?

The rolling eyes and calling someone's main product line a piece of shit? It just seems unnecessary to me ... but, hey, what the hell do I know?

+++++

** in the freaking CLASSIFIEDS section, no less.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:39 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:The rolling eyes and calling someone's main product line a piece of shit? It just seems unnecessary to me ... but, hey, what the hell do I know?

+++++

just a few points to this:

1. i actually have nothing against PDF's - i have about 4 CD's full of them somewhere that i got for my daughter so she could read things without touching my collection. i have no problem with ppl like RPGnow selling them, when they are legal - but i DO have issue with ppl who attempt to profit from them when it is illegal.

2. newcomers. again i have no problem with anyone new at all. but i do have a problem, when they do not join in any discussions at all and just exploit the site for their own purposes, by their only postings being in the classified section. again, if it is allowed here, then fair enough - hardly my place to stop it. doesnt mean i have to agree with it tho :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:46 pm 

dathon wrote:bclarkie hit it squarely as the PDF effect issue comes down to supply and demand. If the only way to buy the classic modules is to get the original printed items then the supply will be lower, and hence the price will be higher. PDFs and photocopies increase supply and hence push the price downward.

And one more thing I forgot to mention, I have met quite a few wealthy people who have bought well-done fakes of Rolexs, Gucci, diamond jewelry, etc. even though they could afford the real thing. Their reasoning is simple, "Why waste all that money for the real thing when I can buy a fake and nobody can tell the difference anyway?" It's smarter financially to buy the well-made fake, and prevents one from taking a big financial hit if one is the victim of a mugging, robbery, burglary, etc. Interestingly many of those people are "old money" and not nouveau riche.

You bring up a not entirely unrelated point.  If one invests $1500+ in a ST1, Fazzlewood, etc, wouldn't the prudent course be to first have the item professionally copied/scanned then to put the original in a safe deposit box?  House fires and worse (see: New Orleans/Katrina) happen all the time, I have to say that is the way I would probably go. That way the copy/scan is mine to use as reference, read, or show to people without worrying about spilling coke, sneezing on it, having the dog chew it up, etc.
  I have several comics in the $1500+ range. They are similarly protected in a safe deposit box, if I want to read Avengers #4 or Spiderman #10 or whatever I can just pull out my Marvel Masterworks hardcover and get down to it. I would be freaked out with, say, an ST1 laying around....not just because of the value (I mean, may of us have TVs worth more) but because of the irreplacability!  

Mike B.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:47 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:but i do have a problem, when they do not join in any discussions at all [clipped]

This is a really good point. I'm not going to re-read the whole thread, but I think some of the attacks on Titan were probably generated from frustration over this issue.

I can't speak for anyone at RPGnow, but I hope they (he? she? it?) do eventually join in on some discussions that have nothing to do with running their business or with PDFs in general.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:52 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:
killjoy32 wrote:but i do have a problem, when they do not join in any discussions at all [clipped]

This is a really good point. I'm not going to re-read the whole thread, but I think some of the attacks on Titan were probably generated from frustration over this issue.

I can't speak for anyone at RPGnow, but I hope they (he? she? it?) do eventually join in on some discussions that have nothing to do with running their business or with PDFs in general.

well hey i AM an easy-going guy, honest :D

i dont have a problem at all if they join in from time to time - THEN they can post whatever they want in the classified and thats cool with me then.

that said tho - i DO like the titan classified postings now. they are short - "acaeum" related and thats also fine, as they are a quick scan over to read now - well done that man.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:54 pm 

(OT)
killjoy32 wrote:that said tho - i DO like the titan classified postings now. they are short - "acaeum" related and thats also fine, as they are a quick scan over to read now - well done that man.

Dragons #13 & #15 actually look like a half-decent price, too... :)

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:59 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:I wouldn't buy software that way, or music, and I certainly won't pay good money for what is essentially a poor-quality photocopy.

Okay, at the risk of getting totally off-topic ... I'm trying to wrap my head around the concept of a tech-savvy guy who has never downloaded an MP3. I'm not judging one way or the other ... it just seems odd. Or is it a Canadian thing? :wink:

^^^ Kidding! ^^^
Note the friendly smiley, indicating either good-natured ribbing or some form of inside joke. I love Canadians, really. They gave us hockey.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:42 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote: And, Brian ... come on, man ... I'm not trying to change (nor do I really expect to change) anyone's opinion on the PDF issue. In fact, forget the stupid PDFs, I have a more important question: why do some newcomers here — Titan and RPGnow are two that come to mind — introduce themselves with perfectly friendly, totally harmless posts** ... and then get the torches-and-pitchforks treatment?

The rolling eyes and calling someone's main product line a piece of shit? It just seems unnecessary to me ... but, hey, what the hell do I know?

+++++

I found the fact that selling copies of the items that the folks around here spend lots and lots of money to collect to be rather ironic.  I never stated though that he didn't have the right to post here, I just pointed out the irony of the fact.  IMO, copies and fakes of anything are pieces of shit.  As far as Titan goes, I actually supported your setiments when people started to flame the hell out of old_sardul because even though I believe that Titan certainly has some serious service issues that needed to be addressed, I thought that people where starting to go beyond the issues and were just being mean.  I also think that they were going after the wrong person anyways.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:25 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:Okay, at the risk of getting totally off-topic ... I'm trying to wrap my head around the concept of a tech-savvy guy who has never downloaded an MP3. I'm not judging one way or the other ... it just seems odd. Or is it a Canadian thing? :wink:

I've never downloaded an MP3 because I'm a Type II "tech-savvy" guy.  As you may or may not know, there are two general types of techies:

Type I -- This type has every gadget imaginable, as soon as possible, sometimes sooner.  They typically have an several cutting edge gaming consoles, four or more varieties of iPod/Blackberry/cell/Tricorder, and a 10Gbps wireless broadband connection to their brain implant.

Type II -- This type never, ever throws out existing technology, at any cost.  They typically have several ancient computers, an AM/FM radio, and an internet connection made from a piece of string.  Still, it's faster than yours, somehow...

(Perhaps DL36 can work out some stats)

YIM  

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:02 am 

dathon wrote:And one more thing I forgot to mention, I have met quite a few wealthy people who have bought well-done fakes of Rolexs, Gucci, diamond jewelry, etc. even though they could afford the real thing. Their reasoning is simple, "Why waste all that money for the real thing when I can buy a fake and nobody can tell the difference anyway?" It's smarter financially to buy the well-made fake, and prevents one from taking a big financial hit if one is the victim of a mugging, robbery, burglary, etc. Interestingly many of those people are "old money" and not nouveau riche.

I'm sorry but this statement ( IMHO ) makes little/no sense if your a "true" collector/appreciator of something. I own 3 first generation Firebirds and the gem of the collection is a 1969 Trans Am. If you looked at it today you would think it was a planter or some rusted peice of farm equipment as it needs a full restoration.

I Paid $8K for that car in 1996 ( yes that was a bargain ) and it will cost me another 25-30K to bring it back to life....if I'm lucky 8O . The same parts that cost 1K in 1996 are 4-5X's that and by time I get around to starting the restoration who knows what they will be. Yup, I could go online right now and get a reproduction ( a.k.a. copy ) hood, spoiler and fender extractors in a kit for $1250 but nobody, and I mean nobody who truly collects these cars would do that.

Reproduction parts ( like copies ) have been out for  almost 20 years ( For Firebirds anyways...we always got second best to the Camaro  :evil:  )  and they have in no way, shape, or form negatively effected the price of OEM stuff . The reason being...because anyone who is "truely" a collector will always seek the original form of what they collect, no matter what that item is.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:05 am 

deimos3428 wrote:Type II -- This type never, ever throws out existing technology, at any cost. They typically have several ancient computers.

Had to chuckle when I saw this. among a host of old comps I have my original 20-inch monitor from 1991, sitting just begging to be used. When I think what that freaking thing cost me........ 8O

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:24 am 

Daimajin wrote:
deimos3428 wrote:Type II -- This type never, ever throws out existing technology, at any cost. They typically have several ancient computers.

Had to chuckle when I saw this. among a host of old comps I have my original 20-inch monitor from 1991, sitting just begging to be used. When I think what that freaking thing cost me........ 8O

I can not even imagine what a 20" monitor cost in 91. Can you remember and let us know?

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:45 am 

As a major advocate for PDF files, I think that anyone who produces low quality crap (even under lisence) is doing PDF files a bad service, and damaging what is a very good system. If, like RPGNow do, you go on to sell that crap, you are damaging the industry.

As regards privately manufactured 'illegal' PDFs go, the sole responsibility for maintaining the market value of products lies with those who own and choose to distribute those PDFs.

If I own a PDF but do not distribute it, there is no supply, and that does not affect demand. Once that PDF is distributed and becomes available easily, the demand for it is met and the value of the hard copy falls. If those who own PDFs do not distribute them, we do not damage the market.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:20 am 

Achizar wrote:*snicker* RPGNow is the 666th member of the Acaeum.

I tell ya, you can't make this stuff up.

ROTFLMAO  Too Funny

John :lol:

"Everyone is entitled to Al's opinion."

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:27 am 

Daimajin wrote:
dathon wrote:And one more thing I forgot to mention, I have met quite a few wealthy people who have bought well-done fakes of Rolexs, Gucci, diamond jewelry, etc. even though they could afford the real thing. Their reasoning is simple, "Why waste all that money for the real thing when I can buy a fake and nobody can tell the difference anyway?" It's smarter financially to buy the well-made fake, and prevents one from taking a big financial hit if one is the victim of a mugging, robbery, burglary, etc. Interestingly many of those people are "old money" and not nouveau riche.

I'm sorry but this statement ( IMHO ) makes little/no sense if your a "true" collector/appreciator of something.

The operative part of your statement is "if you're a 'true' collector of something."  If you are not a 'true' collector, then the fake/copy will do just fine and save you a bunch of money.  

Daimajin wrote:Reproduction parts ( like copies ) have been out for almost 20 years ( For Firebirds anyways...we always got second best to the Camaro :evil: ) and they have in no way, shape, or form negatively effected the price of OEM stuff . The reason being...because anyone who is "truely" a collector will always seek the original form of what they collect, no matter what that item is.

There is no way to prove that copies have not affected the OEM stuff because there is no way to know what the market would be if they did not exist; perhaps if the copies did not exist then the OEM stuff would go for even more money since there would be no choice.  
Again it comes down to supply and demand.  If the supply is being flooded with fakes/copies, even of inferior quality, then demand has a choice to buy something besides OEM stuff which will affect demand for OEM and hence, potentially, drive the price down.  
How many 1,000s of MP3s (which are inferior compressed audio tracks) do people download for free when they would have paid for at least some of them if they had no other choice?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:45 pm 

Is this impact of copies on the D&D market peculiar to D&D, or would all the copies and prints of the Mona Lisa be having an impact on the value of the painting?

In either case, it is not the copy that depreciates the value of the original. It is the distribution and multiplication of the copy that depreciates the original.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:32 pm 

zhowar1 wrote:However, Paizo.com is now selling the same AD&D 1E/2E, OD&D, etc pdfs (under license):

http://paizo.com/store/downloads/wizardsOfTheCoast ... [clipped] ... The pdfs are apparently watermarked with the purchaser's name to reduce aftersale distribution.

I just bought my first PDF from Paizo ... and, coincidentally I just bought my final PDF from them, too.

The watermarking is just ridiculous. I mean, there's watermarking and then there's going totally overboard. I am now the proud owner of a useless A1 (I didn't need another A1, BTW, it just came up first alphabetically) with my name, e-mail address, and a date of purchase across the top and bottom of every page. On many pages, the text — and, worse, the art — is partially obscured. I'm probably just going to trash it and write it off as being a failed experiment ...

Any future PDFs I purchase (and I'm not looking to re-kindle the entire debate here) will be from RPGnow. On average, I'll pay 95 cents more per download; on the other hand, I'll be left with a product I can actually enjoy.

I don't know if any Paizo people other than Erik lurk here, but if so, I have a simple message: your PDF watermarking is an abomination. I heartily recommend that any Acaeum folks who do the PDF thing do so with another vendor.

+++++

Image <<<--- this is me after receiving my Paizo download ...

PreviousNext