PDFs vs originals and their impact on collecting...
Author

** Banned **

Post Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:53 pm 

There is a passage in the Acaeum pages that states "...a newsletter supporting the DragonLance campaign setting was released in the late 1990's, entitled Legends of the Lance.  All of the issues were at one point downloadable (as .PDF's) on the WotC web site.  Because of this, they are collectibly worthless, and are not included here." Also, isn't module B2 collectible worthless as well, but it's included for reference on the site.

I am wondering why this might be so, considering that most if not all of the products we collect were/are also available via PDF now. I for one don't care for PDFs and want the original printed version to read, collect and reference. I imagine by the looks of it most others here would agree. Does the existance of a PDF version really impact the collecting of the original?

Anyway, no biggie, just curious as to thoughts on the above statement.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:11 pm 

It's been discussed in at least two threads.  This one is the most recent I believe:  http://www.acaeum.com/forum/about1616.html

** Banned **

Post Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:13 pm 

Ack, sorry everyone. I always search for topics before posting... except this one this time I guess...  :oops:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:30 pm 

I think the real gist of your question was, "why are the newsletters worthless yet the module has value?"

The newsletters very likely cannot be differentiated between the ones downloaded and printed and the ones mailed out.

The module can be printed out but is quite obviously the original publication.

MRS   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:45 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:I think the real gist of your question was, "why are the newsletters worthless yet the module has value?"

The newsletters very likely cannot be differentiated between the ones downloaded and printed and the ones mailed out.

The module can be printed out but is quite obviously the original publication.

MRS  8)

As everyone knows, B2 is ridiculously common and doesn't sell for very much money at all.  That does not equate to it being worthless as a collectible!  On the contrary, it's almost a requirement.  If you don't have at least one (preferably worn-in) copy of B2, you don't really have a D&D collection!  It's a nostalgia thing.

YIM  

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:27 pm 

I disagree with calling the old DL newsletters worthless just because they were available as PDFs.  They were printed on glossy paper, back and front with four panes, so it would not be easy to reproduce them exactly as they were mailed from one's typical home printer.  With the same logic, one could argue that OB3 is worthless since it is widely available as a free PDF.

** Banned **

Post Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:01 am 

Thanks for the continued discussion everyone. That was the basis of my question - specifically re: the newletters in particular. Good comments from everyone.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:00 pm 

Actually, having PDFs can be a bonus, as you would not have to handle all your rares, or punch out any counters (chits, etc) or rip handouts from the module.

This would add to the collectability of those items that were rare.

It would also lend itself to the replayability (is that a word?) of the mod, as you would never have to look for lost sheets or missing chits.

It would also be a bonus, as you would never have to un-shrinkwrap your mods that are still in shrinkwrap (For those of us that are curious to see exactly what is in that shrinkwrapped item).

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:40 pm 

jkason wrote:Actually, having PDFs can be a bonus, as you would not have to handle all your rares, or punch out any counters (chits, etc) or rip handouts from the module.

It would also lend itself to the replayability (is that a word?) of the mod, as you would never have to look for lost sheets or missing chits.

It would also be a bonus, as you would never have to un-shrinkwrap your mods that are still in shrinkwrap (For those of us that are curious to see exactly what is in that shrinkwrapped item).

I can see how it might be useful to preserve your modules.  However, if everyone did that, you wouldn't want or need to preserve your modules, because they wouldn't hold any of their value.

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:48 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:
jkason wrote:Actually, having PDFs can be a bonus, as you would not have to handle all your rares, or punch out any counters (chits, etc) or rip handouts from the module.

I can see how it might be useful to preserve your modules. However, if everyone did that, you wouldn't want or need to preserve your modules, because they wouldn't hold any of their value.

Death to all pdfs. :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:06 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:

I can see how it might be useful to preserve your modules. However, if everyone did that, you wouldn't want or need to preserve your modules, because they wouldn't hold any of their value.

A pdf of a box set is worthless except as a reference.  Nothing like unfolding the large color maps, nothing can take the place of that.  For that matter, nothing takes the place of holding a real module. I like the pdfs on my computer to read, but I could never run an adventure off a pdf if the module itself was handy. The nostalgia factor.

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:06 am 

I bought a couple of pdf files from DrivethruRPG.  There is no pride of ownership and almost no nostalgia value.  It is like meeting the ghost of a loved one or looking at a beautiful woman's picture...interesting, but just not the real thing.

All pdf's did for me was give me the fire to find the real thing.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:59 am 

I can definitely see how having the PDFs can undermine value in certain items, and or give them no value at all.
Exception for those people that need to hold the original (like me). Generally I'm not fussed by PDFs and don't really like the idea  :?  but hey I'm a purest  :D

.. the one and only saving grace about PDFs for me is that I don't need to (and won't ever) take the shrink of my OB3. 8)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:02 am 

Badmike wrote:
deimos3428 wrote:

A pdf of a box set is worthless except as a reference. Nothing like unfolding the large color maps, nothing can take the place of that. For that matter, nothing takes the place of holding a real module. I like the pdfs on my computer to read, but I could never run an adventure off a pdf if the module itself was handy. The nostalgia factor.

Mike B.

I agree with most of the above statements, pdf is great for reference but will never replace the feeling of actually holding an item you've needed/wanted in your hands and physically having it in your collection.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:39 am 

I don't believe that PDFs affect the value of items at all. There may be a few exceptions to that, but on the whole, the price of OB3 remains beyond me, although the PDF is available free from WoTC. R1-4 still fetch upwards of $200 a piece, although you can buy them online for $5 a piece as a PDF. The same goes for the RPGA series.

PDFs are great source material, but you can't really play with them, or read them. They are there for dipping into when you want to check something out, or you want ideas for something you're creating. You need the real thing if you want to run it as a module.

Compare the prospect of running ToEE from a beat up second copy, to running it from a ring binder of crispy printer paper. I'll take the beat up second copy an day.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:26 am 

In my opinion, PDFs are extremely important for a collector. They are the equivalent of the backup copy for CDs. Of course, to be honest, a person would be entitled to have a PDF version of a module only if he owns the original copy. That way, he can read, peruse, print pages of the book without damaging or wearing his original copy. This holds especially for shrinkwrapped items: a person would be capable to use a book even without opening his shrinkwrapped copy.

Of course, we are not fully honest, and some people own PDF copies of manuals they don't actually own. I am the first to place myself in this group. However, in my case, I'd say it is only a matter of time: since I can't possibly succeed in owning every single manual I am interested in right now, for the moment I have a lot of PDF copies of manuals I don't have, but more and more are quickly becoming true backup copies of items I do have (and hopefully, every single one of them will). This way I am not damaging the collectable value of items, because sooner or later I am going to purchase them. And I believe this is true for any hardcore collector.

Plus, owning these PDF copies doesn't damage the publisher, wince they don't actually receive any more income from out of print items. Of course, speculating over these things is another matter. There is no reason why WotC (or any other house) should not gain anymore on these products, while I do by selling DVDs of downloaded manuals. So one thing is to have PDF copies and use them for reference and backup, a totally different thing (which I personally hate) is using such illegal copies to make money.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:41 pm 

guerret wrote:In my opinion, PDFs are extremely important for a collector. They are the equivalent of the backup copy for CDs. Of course, to be honest, a person would be entitled to have a PDF version of a module only if he owns the original copy. That way, he can read, peruse, print pages of the book without damaging or wearing his original copy. This holds especially for shrinkwrapped items: a person would be capable to use a book even without opening his shrinkwrapped copy.

Of course, we are not fully honest, and some people own PDF copies of manuals they don't actually own. I am the first to place myself in this group. However, in my case, I'd say it is only a matter of time: since I can't possibly succeed in owning every single manual I am interested in right now, for the moment I have a lot of PDF copies of manuals I don't have, but more and more are quickly becoming true backup copies of items I do have (and hopefully, every single one of them will). This way I am not damaging the collectable value of items, because sooner or later I am going to purchase them. And I believe this is true for any hardcore collector.

Plus, owning these PDF copies doesn't damage the publisher, wince they don't actually receive any more income from out of print items. Of course, speculating over these things is another matter. There is no reason why WotC (or any other house) should not gain anymore on these products, while I do by selling DVDs of downloaded manuals. So one thing is to have PDF copies and use them for reference and backup, a totally different thing (which I personally hate) is using such illegal copies to make money.

I think your forgetting the other segment of the population that buy the pdf from outlets like RPGNow (or download legal copies like from the WoTC website).

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:07 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:I don't believe that PDFs affect the value of items at all. There may be a few exceptions to that, but on the whole, the price of OB3 remains beyond me, although the PDF is available free from WoTC. R1-4 still fetch upwards of $200 a piece, although you can buy them online for $5 a piece as a PDF. The same goes for the RPGA series.

PDFs are great source material, but you can't really play with them, or read them. They are there for dipping into when you want to check something out, or you want ideas for something you're creating. You need the real thing if you want to run it as a module.

Compare the prospect of running ToEE from a beat up second copy, to running it from a ring binder of crispy printer paper. I'll take the beat up second copy an day.

Let me clarify my previous post, and blather on about a subject in which I've never even taken a course:*

Suppose everyone purchased a SW copy of a module, and also downloaded a PDF of that module for play.  The SW copy can sit on the shelf forever, and never attain significant value.  Too many copies would survive.

Moreso than other commodities, collectibles are valuable because they are rare.  When supply is unable to adequately meet demand, like any market, the value of the commodity rises.  Interestingly, in collectible markets, items are in demand simply because they are rare, which is a sort of economic double-whammy.  Oranges, unlike orange B3s, do not increase in demand simply because there are less of them.

That's why I don't like PDFs -- they allow originals to survive unscathed, which does affect the market.  If the OB3 PDFs existed when OB3 was printed, there would a noticable effect in the value of the OB3.

*I did date an economics major once, so I know what I'm talking about.  

YIM  
Next