Tharizdun WG4 w/Header variations
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:50 pm 

Like a few of us, I picked up one of the WG4 w/header shrinks recently and when putting it in storage I noticed a few slight differences to the other copy I have:

1. Slightly bolder type font in the yellow banner "APPROVED FOR USE WITH ADVANCED D&D GAME" of copy 1. Copy 1 on left.

2. Slightly darker shade of the module color in copy 1. Copy 1 on left.

3. The header was not stapled to the module in copy 1 while it was stapled to the header in copy 2. Copy 1 on bottom.

These are the only differences I spotted.

I also have a B2 with header in shrink that has the header stapled to the module.

I have a theory about which version came first (I think the version without the staples) because I picked up another (third) copy in shrink with the header (matches copy 1) and it was damaged in shipping (thrown in padded envelope without any cardboard backer), in that the header at some point was jammed downward, which caused tears in the shrink. This looks to be very easy to do, and I could see this happening frequently, so TSR decided to staple the headers on to at least prevent this.

I suppose it's possible that the stapled versions were first, and then complaints came in that the modules were "ruined' because of the staple wounds so they got rid of them.

Additional thoughts/theories/observations?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:40 pm 

Interesting to note but probably not a different printing.  Could be some suppliers stapled the copies and some did not?

J

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:42 pm 

I have had the opinion that the headers do not designate printings but were rather an extra added to warehouse inventory in order to sell the product to non-hobby stores.
I am now questioning that theory as here we have what could be separate printings of the same module each with a different header.

Does anyone have one of these modules with the reverse combination of module and header from the ones a2jeff have scanned; stapled header with the bolder typeface module or glued header with the lighter typeface? If that exists it would suggest that the header is not related to the printing.

Cheers,
Curt
Print run junkie

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:07 pm 

CGOULD42 wrote:Does anyone have one of these modules with the reverse combination of module and header from the ones a2jeff have scanned; stapled header with the bolder typeface module or glued header with the lighter typeface? If that exists it would suggest that the header is not related to the printing.

IMO a header is a header, just like a (woodgrain) box is a box.

Sometimes there's a one-to-one relationship with the contents, sometimes not. (Or indeed, even with the cover stapled to the inner text pages, in some cases).

CGOULD42 wrote:Print run junkie

*adds to Christmas card list for next year* ;)