Ebay's lame categories
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:02 am 

You can't force someone to use the appropriate category. :cry:

Actually, you can. It is against one of ebay's many policies to list things in the wrong category. They can be reported and the listings removed. I have thought of doing to to all those "Murder Mystery" games that bug me.

Security Measure

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:29 am 

beyondthebreach wrote:

You can't force someone to use the appropriate category. :cry:

Actually, you can. It is against one of ebay's many policies to list things in the wrong category. They can be reported and the listings removed. I have thought of doing to to all those "Murder Mystery" games that bug me.

Security Measure

Very interesting.  Especially the "loss of powerseller status..." But I digress.  

I don't understand why a seller would want to put minis under roleplaying...that just annoys the roleplayers, who might also be their customers.  Minis have more in common with Warhammer than they do with roleplaying/D&D, despite what the box might have to say...  :?

Perhaps Toys & Hobbies > Games > Wargames, Miniatures should be rearranged to accomodate:

Miniatures -> Warhammer

Miniatures -> Dungeons & Dragons

Miniatures -> <insert vendor/category/genre here>

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:22 pm 

If anyone cares, when I'm digging through AD&D listings at ebay to keep D&D minis out I filter out with:

"advanced dungeons & dragons" -mini -minis -rares -uncommon -common -booster -pack -packs -core -3.5 -3.0 -2nd edition -3rd edition

seems to keep the search pretty clean.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:55 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:I don't understand why a seller would want to put minis under roleplaying...that just annoys the roleplayers, who might also be their customers. Minis have more in common with Warhammer than they do with roleplaying/D&D, despite what the box might have to say... :?

Because that's where folks are looking for them. It's the "D&D Miniatures Game", and despite the curmdugeoning here, the vast majority of folks interested in it agree ;)

I think getting the miniatures into their own category is a great idea. Would make listing them much easier. Currently, they're about 70% in Role Playing, and 30% in Miniatures.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:00 pm 

DungeonDelver wrote:If anyone cares, when I'm digging through AD&D listings at ebay to keep D&D minis out I filter out with:

"advanced dungeons & dragons" -mini -minis -rares -uncommon -common -booster -pack -packs -core -3.5 -3.0 -2nd edition -3rd edition

My AD&D search also includes:  -Ral, -Partha, -Grenadier, -Citadel, -miniature, -miniatures, -figure, -figures, -figurines

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:46 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:
DungeonDelver wrote:If anyone cares, when I'm digging through AD&D listings at ebay to keep D&D minis out I filter out with:

My AD&D search also includes: -Ral, -Partha, -Grenadier, -Citadel, -miniature, -miniatures, -figure, -figures, -figurines

Yeah, getting Ral Partha and Citadel out of there is another big one for me; the filter I listed isn't the whole one by far, just one that keeps out the new rubber D&D minis...

(I let "Grenadier" slip thru since I'm still on the hunt for that 5002 Dragon's Lair kit...)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:15 am 

Have we agreed on a formula to send up to eBay then?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:24 pm 

Okay, I went ahead and sent in the following suggestion to ebay:

Hi, I would like to suggest several new categories for Roleplaying (Currently under Toys & Hobbies, Games). As it stands, the categories for Dungeons & Dragons make no sense.  D&D in NOT a Card Game like Magic and three of the categories are useless (Packs, Individual Cards and Full Sets).  A better arrangement would be:
1st Edition (pre-1986)
2nd Edition (1986-1999)
3rd edition (2000 - NOW)
Mixed Lots
Other

Also, a new Category should be created for miniatures as they currently take up almost 30% of the listings in Roleplaying.  If they are going to be listed there they should have their own category under Roleplaying (there would then be Fantasy, Super-Hero, Science Fiction, Horror, Miniatures, etc.)

I also added the following after this intitial statement:

If you take a look at my feedback and sales, you will note that I have been a Powerseller dealing almost exclusively in Roleplaying for several years.  This issue has been discussed with many other collectors and hopefully there will follow a number of other suggestions to the same effect.

Thank you for your consideration,

Paul

It would be great if as many ebay users as possible can send in a suggestion.  Feel free to copy and paste the first part I listed above (or even the second if it's applicable).  Of course, you may not completely agree with this and/or have your own suggestions to give.  Whether or not you go with what I have sent in . . . any suggestion is better than none and might prompt ebay to make some changes.

The link to go to is:

Security Measure

and then the link to add new categories.

:D

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:31 pm 

What about basic D&D, OD&D and non TSR stuff, would that all go in other?

Also there already is a miniature catagory, just need to add D&D collectable miniatures to it.

J

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:44 pm 

I guess, I'm assuming that all OD&D and D&D will go in 1st ed. pre-1986.  I know that they aren't 1st edition . . . but think of the chaos if people had  1st ed. AD&D as a category and D&D and then OD&D.  I don't think the majority of ebay sellers are very sure of these distinctions.  I am hoping that the year indicator will help keep things clearer.

As far as miniatures . . . . the reason that there are 3,000+ listing for miniatures in Roleplaying is because a dozen or so high volume sellers want them listed there.  They are trying to make them visible to the roleplaying crowd.  They aren't going to switch to the Miniatures, War Games category (even if D&D is added).  Even though they could be reported for using the improper category, I doubt anything would come of it when such a large amount of sellers are listing it in RPG (and they do have a case that they are RPG items . . . if I sold a box of AD&D minis, even I wouldn't want them in Miniatures, War Games.

The miniatures category seemed like a decent compromise - without it, they would just start listing them under D&D regardless of any category divisions.

In my opinion anyway . . .

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:29 am 

Sent my suggestion in a la btb's.  Hopefully others follow suit and a change is made.   :)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:04 am 

dathon wrote:Sent my suggestion in a la btb's. Hopefully others follow suit and a change is made.  :)

Done.  Hopefully everyone else do so as well, it's a very worthy cause -- your time not being wasted. ;)

YIM  

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:26 am 

Update: eBay just announced a category shuffle ...

http://www2.ebay.com:80/aw/core/200601. ... 1-04090508

... but without a single change to Toys & Hobbies.

No reason to give up, though — polite, thoughtful letters might still carry the day in a future update.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:08 am 

I got back a form letter a couple of days ago.  
Hopefully folks will keep sending in letters...

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:49 pm 

*bump*

Update: eBay just announced February changes ... and there's nothing that concerns us:

http://www2.ebay.com:80/aw/core/200601. ... 1-31142958

(although it is interesting to note that collectibles and sports cards and other stuff like that are at least sort of related to what we do here).

I haven't tracked every category change eBay has ever made, but I think Toys & Hobbies is due for an overhaul sometime in 2006. So keep those e-mails flowing (the link above has a further link that will take you to the correct form to fill out).

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:55 am 

Thanks for the AuctionSieve promo Xaxaxe.
The B2 is in the mail...  :wink:

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:16 pm 

Bad news: March changes announced; no Toys & Hobbies changes.

Good news: eBay is changing categories at a fairly rapid clip. I believe this is the third straight month (and something like fourth in the past six) that category changes have been announced. Can some sort of change for D&D Miniatures be far behind ... ? 8O

http://www2.ebay.com:80/aw/core/200603. ... 3-07130118

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:20 pm 

nev wrote:Thanks for the AuctionSieve promo Xaxaxe.
The B2 is in the mail...  :wink:

I was going to ask for the AuctionSieve link, but...d'oh!...I see it down at the bottom of your post.

Have to go check it out.........   :wink:

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Previous