Ebay's lame categories
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:24 pm 

I posted in haste.  I apologize for this incident.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:00 pm 

We were typing at the same time — by the time I finished, you had already posted. Look at the time stamps; they are identical.

[edit: thanks for your PM, Keith; we must have posted almost simultaneously :)]

I was referring to the fact that this sort of "eBay sucks" discussion goes on here all the time, yet we often veer away from doing anything constructive about it. In this particular example, while eBay's D&D categories could certainly use a shake-up, there is — at the exact same time — this wonderful, free tool that makes eBay searches incredibly powerful, and I thought that that needed to be pointed out.

Here's how I should have worded it: I have zero sympathy for anyone who knows better and still prefers to bitch rather than use a tool that is practically being handed to them.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:10 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:Look at the time stamps; they are identical.

I didn't spot that, either.

[ed.] (Oops. New page...) ^^

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:30 pm 

Okay, Keith and I have clarified our positions — definitely a case of Simultaneous Posting Syndrome. Much ado about nothing important, etc., etc.

Move along; there's nothing to see here ... :)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:32 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:Move along; there's nothing to see here ... :)

Yes there is! I want to see what you've bought us all for Christmas... :D

;)

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:32 pm 

beyondthebreach wrote:1st Edition (pre-1986)
2nd Edition (1986-1999)
3rd edition (2000 - NOW)
Mixed Lots
Other

I really think this might have the best chance of succeeding. I list a fair amount of comics (or at least I did; I'm getting back in the game in January), and I really appreciate the fact that I can list any issue of any title simply by looking at the copyright information.

This could work for D&D collecting, too. I think it's cleaner and simpler than an ODD-DD-ADD-3e method.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:41 pm 

harami2000 wrote:Yes there is! I want to see what you've bought us all for Christmas... :D

;)

Well, I'm probably getting coal in my stocking for jumping all over Keith in my initial (pre-editing) post ... forgive me, Santa! :)

Before we totally lose the plot, though: I think this project could succeed sometime in 2006. D&D Miniatures are a pain; there is a legitimate argument here that eBay should listen to (he said by ending a sentence with a preposition).

The ironic part: the more successful D&D Minis are, the more likely it is that eBay will recognize their need for a separate category. We actually want more expansion sets* ... 8O

+++++

*(and it's not too late to buy some as an Xmas gift for your favorite minis fan)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:24 pm 

Would we want to add another category for magazines?  I collect 1E era Dragon issues, for instance.  Or would periodicals just fall under "other"?

Keith

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:28 pm 

Keith wrote:Would we want to add another category for magazines? I collect 1E era Dragon issues, for instance. Or would periodicals just fall under "other"?

Magazines are pretty easy to filter out if you don't want them.  Minis aren't -- and should be moved outside of the "Dungeons & Dragons" category entirely (if they're a subcategory, that fixes nothing).

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:07 pm 

harami2000 wrote:
bclarkie wrote:Did I mention that I am not big fan of the interface either. :)

I kinda presumed you were still using it, to pounce so many of those eBay BIN bargains, Brian.

I dont know how much of a bargain $800.00 is. 8O  :wink:

BTW, did I miss something here?  Was I totally just flamed only to return and have the flaming now edited. :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:01 pm 

You didn't miss anything, Brian — a small misunderstanding, since cleared up. The posts no longer make sense because many have been heavily edited.*

*especially that "bclarkie sucks!" one ... kidding! :)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:01 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:
beyondthebreach wrote:1st Edition (pre-1986)
2nd Edition (1986-1999)
3rd edition (2000 - NOW)
Mixed Lots
Other

I really think this might have the best chance of succeeding. I list a fair amount of comics (or at least I did; I'm getting back in the game in January), and I really appreciate the fact that I can list any issue of any title simply by looking at the copyright information.

This could work for D&D collecting, too. I think it's cleaner and simpler than an ODD-DD-ADD-3e method.

Yes, that is what I am thinking . . . keep it simple. If a category were listed with pre-1980 . . . well, you all know that all those Players Handbooks, DMGs and Monster Manuals would be there is force and cluttering up space. Pre-1986 would encompass 1st edition, OD&D, non-TSR AD&D and most of D&D. By adding the date fields, it will help the uninitiated to choose the right category.

Furthermore, there is a certain aesthetic principle at stake here. It simply bothers me to see "Individual Cards" & "Boxes, Packs" listed. It's insulting. :?

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:32 am 

beyondthebreach wrote:

1st edition

2nd edition

3rd edition

Mixed Lots

Other

What do you guys think? I am going to send a suggestion to ebay. The link is:

Security Measure

I agree with others that this is the best idea overall.  

Are you folks already submitting the suggestion to the URL given above?

I'll go ahead and do so unless there is some reason to wait (perhaps to allow other Acaeum members to weigh in on the issue?).

Keith

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:12 am 

btb's breakdown with dates is the best for simplicity and ease:

1st Edition (pre-1986)

2nd Edition (1986-1999)

3rd edition (2000 - NOW)

Mixed Lots

Other

The only thing left to decide is how to handle the miniatures issue.  How do we propose to eBay to make them a different category?  We could probably succeed in getting them listed under Miniatures as a subcategory but then a lot of sellers probably won't find them and will list them "incorrectly" under one of the above.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:22 am 

dathon wrote:btb's breakdown with dates is the best for simplicity and ease:

1st Edition (pre-1986)

2nd Edition (1986-1999)

3rd edition (2000 - NOW)

Mixed Lots

Other

The only thing left to decide is how to handle the miniatures issue. How do we propose to eBay to make them a different category? We could probably succeed in getting them listed under Miniatures as a subcategory but then a lot of sellers probably won't find them and will list them "incorrectly" under one of the above.

Would it make sense to filter the minitures catagory down to metal vs plastic?   Seems that there are alot of collectors in both genres and they would appreciate having them seperated somehow.

Could it look something like this:

Dungeons & Dragons:

1st Edition (pre-1986)

2nd Edition (1986-1999)

3rd edition (2000 - NOW)

Mixed Lots

Other

Minitures:

Plastic

Metal

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:48 am 

I like the idea of metal vs. plastic. However, what I envision for Miniatures totally removes them from the D&D category (that way, someone can search all D&D categories without worrying about minis.

What I am thinking is:

Toys & Hobbies > Games > Roleplaying >

> Fantasy
> Science Fiction
> Horror
> Super Hero
> Other
> Miniatures

That way, any RPG category could be viewed without being cluttered up by minis. To be honest, this would benefit those selling miniatures as well - it's not like someone is accidentally bidding $16.00 for a RARE Deathknell mini - they are searching for minis and this would help them narrow their searches down.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:54 am 

beyondthebreach wrote:I like the idea of metal vs. plastic. However, what I envision for Miniatures totally removes them from the D&D category (that way, someone can search all D&D categories without worrying about minis.

What I am thinking is:

Toys & Hobbies > Games > Roleplaying >

> Fantasy
> Science Fiction
> Horror
> Super Hero
> Other
> Miniatures

That way, any RPG category could be viewed without being cluttered up by minis. To be honest, this would benefit those selling miniatures as well - it's not like someone is accidentally bidding $16.00 for a RARE Deathknell mini - they are searching for minis and this would help them narrow their searches down.

Problem is, the category already exists and nobody uses it:
Toys & Hobbies > Games > Miniatures, War Games

You can't force someone to use the appropriate category.  :cry:

YIM  

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:00 am 

I've thought of that - the reason is that category is largely used for Fantasy Wargaming - Warhammer being by far the most prevalent and Battletech a distant second.

The category is filled with minis for Warhammer and 40K.  But no one wants to list their D&D/Ral Partha/Grenadier/Plastic minis there - they want them in Roleplaying.  That is understandable.  So another mini category needs to be made under Roleplaying.

PreviousNext