Never ends.....
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 8:42 am 

Anyone ever get tired of people like Burntwire snapping up every item on the planet and paying huge amounts of money for them? I miss the pre-eBay days.......

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 2:12 pm 

I only pay a little more than the next guy. Lately others have been out-bidding me on a regular basis. If you are mad because I sniped an item, you obviously didn't want it to bad or your max bid would have been higher.  I try to pay less than Acaeum prices unless I really want it. Also most of the non-TSR items  I buy I can't find a price anywhere that says what they are worth. If an item comes up on Ebay I have never seen or heard of(after almost 2 years of constant searching) I tend to put in a high bid. What I think is funny are the people who put a low bid on a item and hope that it will slip through. I constantly see Acaeum members bidding on items and only putting in about a third of what the Acaeum values it at. If you want it bid high, there are several others who out-bid me all the time(Stormber, Gabrielconroy, Gygax, etc. ).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:17 pm 

I do not see anything wrong with what Burntwire has done: he sees an item on ebay and he bids the amount that he feels the item is worth to him. If you are looking for bargains or items far below their market value then do not look to ebay (except on those lucky "buy it now" purchases). There is very little that goes unnoticed by collectors...because we all tend to be a thorough and almost obsessive lot.  If you want an item, do what most others do: bid a little more than you are willing to pay. If you get it then great, if not then consider the winner a chump because he obviously over-paid and does not have your keen eye, patience, puritan thrifty nature, yada yada yada. If you are unwilling to do this then you need to stick to places where you can get a bargain such as yard sales, flea markets, and hobby stores that have boxes of items tucked away. It is very rare to get any true bargains in a world-wide auction space.

But while we are griping...I do have problems with some people on ebay (and I am sure they know who they are):

1. those that bid on everything and I mean everything. I do not know if they are just trying to keep the market up or if they are using ebay as some wholesale distribution network for their hobby store; and

2. The people that bid the opening amount for an item with a low "buy it now." This most recently happened with a shrinkwrapped Myth Drannor Boxed set.  The "Buy It Now" was $7.00 and had an open of $2.00. Did the initial bidder honestly expect to win with a $2.00 bid? If he did, then he was hopelessly deluded. :evil:

Ok, I am done venting :roll: ...I now return you to your regularly scheduled viewing.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 7:29 pm 

Let me add to the conversation by saying that I agree that it was more of a buyers market in the pre-ebay, and pre-Acaeum, days.  Acaeum does influence the cost of items sold, more than ebay, in my opinion.  Ebay provides at least the possibility to buy items that would not have been easy to locate, or darn near impossible to find, in the old days.  The detriment is of course that there are a lot more buyers looking at, and bidding on, these items.

On the subject of resellers, they tend to help inflate prices also since it is rare to see them overlook an item that has any value, especially when there is a "lot" of items for sale.

In addition to the hardcore collectors and resellers there seems to be a new phenomenon that appears to have started within the last year or so.  This phenomenon involves "newbays" (new ebayers) jumping in on semi-rare to rare items and buying them for an inflated price.  I'm not sure if they are purchasing for the investment or just for nostalgia's sake.  Maybe it's just ignorance or auction fever, I don't know?  It does work well for sellers (or resellers), but not if you are a buyer looking for a bargain.

Enough rambling for now - burntwire - you are currently on my blacklist since you "snapped up" the geomorph set.  You can make it up for me at the Gen Con if you want...;)

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 9:28 pm 

I must agree with everything Purple says.. esp #2 on his list.. although I must say I have seen the odd item slip through with people getting a bargin... rarely but it does happen...

Usually when i lose i also loose but 50cents to a dollar.... LOL, but these days I tend to stick to my guns with max bids.. although there are a couple of items that I will be bidding insanly on very soon....

Brette:)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:09 am 

I don't think its so much new eBayers paying more for an item for investment purposes...  I think its more along the lines of these people finally can find it, but don't realize that if they are patient they can probably get a copy for much cheaper.  Since they don't know what it usually goes for, or with what frequency it comes up for auction, they tend to jump to conclusions and sink ALOT of money into something.  I've had a few people buy from me who said that was more or less what happened (one guy paid $110 for the White Wolf Wraith book The Risen, which usually went for about $30 at the time, and I'd found at a used bookstore for $5).

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 1:11 am 

I agree about the "buy-it-nows" even though it has worked in my favor when I have sold items(several sold for more than my buy-it-now price :D ). I wish I didn't  have to outbid other Acaeum members on some items but you never know when another copy will come up for sale. Good news, there are copies of the Geomorphs on Ebay right now, bad news, I do not have these printings(Good luck :wink: ). By the way I will be attending GenCon for the first time this year :D . The only reason I am going is to see what the convention offers in the way of OOP items(the auction). Also, if anyone has a resource for prices of non-TSR items please let me know. The best of luck to those who hope to find bargains(me included).

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:50 am 

Nothing wrong with what burntwire is doing.  If he's willing to pay more than the next guy for an item, he gets it, and good for him.

Which is not to say that this can't be annoying…

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 3:06 am 

So perhaps while burnie's away at Gencon we might get some bargains...  :D

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 4:44 am 

Hey, Burntwire, whats "Fell Pass" like?

Id say that non-TSR modules, at the moment, are worth the same as a rarity:1 TSR item, ie 2-10$.

As for long-term value I have no idea, its a complicated mix of rarity and quality.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:59 am 

I wish I didn't buy "Fell Pass". I checked the Dragon Magazine index after I bought it and it appeared as an adventure in an issue. I hate when someone sells something like this. Alot of the time you can't make out the fact that it says Dragon and has page numbers, the seller should state that it came from a magazine(oh well). Oh, btw I only live about 15 minutes from GenCon and I have a lap-top  :D (all I need is a phone jack). Anyone else planning on attending?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 3:28 pm 

What i mostly get aggravated at is collectors bidding on multiple copies of the exact same item. I've seen it happen several times. If you own a copy/printing of an item, leave it for someone who doesn't. Don't bid on it and "hope" that it will go cheap. That just jacks up the price. I've had quite a few items that I needed jacked up by people who already own the item. It gets annoying.............

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 4:03 pm 

Eeeehhh, Brett, you weren't talking about those three wee warrior items, weren't you?  :) ...

The only buyers I dislike are probably those "newbays" mentioned above ... although, if I'm not too interested in the item myself, sometimes it gets pretty hilarious.

What I really find annoying are those <i>sellers</i> who put hundreds of totally overpriced items on the market every week ... all of them doubles of their own collection ... waiting for some desperate "newbay" to waste his money. I have to skip through all of their shitty stuff and watch out for the interesting auctions between their turbo listed second choice material  :twisted:

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:27 pm 

Ralf Toth wrote:Eeeehhh, Brett, you weren't talking about those three wee warrior items, weren't you?  :) ...

Actually no.. didn't even see en, I find the Wee Warrior stuff at the moment to highly priced... ah the old days.. I'll eventually pick em up but not right yet... hard to justily when i can pick up a 100+ other gaming titles for the same price as one item.. I'm in the process of finally finishing off my 2nd ed TSR stuff, magazines, other gaming systems, zines... hell I'm all over the place;)

LOL

Brette:)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 2:55 pm 

burntwire wrote:I wish I didn't buy "Fell Pass". I checked the Dragon Magazine index after I bought it and it appeared as an adventure in an issue. I hate when someone sells something like this. Alot of the time you can't make out the fact that it says Dragon and has page numbers, the seller should state that it came from a magazine(oh well). Oh, btw I only live about 15 minutes from GenCon and I have a lap-top  :D (all I need is a phone jack). Anyone else planning on attending?

Well, if from what I have heard on the board, and what I have seen on ebay, you should have a blast at GenCon.  The only problem is there is no preview to the auction, so you kinda have to wait around to find any deals.  Definitely make time for the collector's auction on Friday night, though... that is worth the time.  Last year, there must have been $10G worth of stuff sold that night alone... 2nd print Brown Box, all the R and RPGA modules, old Dragons, etc.  It was terribly cool.

Oh, and they also have computers terminals at GenCon, so that you can check email and ... other things (bidbidbidbidbid)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 6:02 am 

My pet peeves

US sellers who wont ship internationally. Why? Whats the difference? Youre getting paid in advance for the shipping costs, and you still have to go to the Post Office or whatever anyway.

Over-use of "Rare". "B2! RARE!"

People who charge for PayPal

ebay uk needs a separate minatures section.

ebay uk members should be able to sell directly on ebay us. As the categories are different a uk seller can only post to the general roleplaying section, not specifically to the subsections.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 3:17 pm 

Burntwire ROCKS!

He helps me justify how much I have spent (and am spending on bags/boards/storage) to my wife!

In fact, he probably saved my marriage! :)

Besides, he's not a 'dealer' (as far as I know) and he doesn't buy EVERYTHING, he also doesn't always win (I beat him a few times that I know of).

and when I finally get around to selling my stuff, I'll be VERY happy if he is the winner since that means he (or whoever wins) paid the very most anyone on the planet is willing to pay for that item at this time.

GO BURNTWIRE GO!

-------------------------------------------------

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 5:25 pm 

I have to concede that point. He won my DG for $79, which is twice as much as I paid for it. It's actually kind of amusing, in a way. I have a larger and better collection, and I've spent 1/2 the money. Patience always pays off.

Next