PHB 1st printing
Author

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:10 am 

howdy! i ran into a sale of an entire collection (that seems very very interesting!), among the stuff there's also this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/AD-D-Players-Handbo ... dZViewItem

is it really a *TRUE* 1st printing? which is the difference between a *TRUE* and a *NORMAL* 1st printing?

thx in advance!

I am the servant of the Secret Maps, Wielder of the flame of Clone!
You cannot quote! The dark spam will not avail you, flame of Udun.
Go back to the Shadow! You... cannot... post!!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:00 am 

aia wrote:howdy! i ran into a sale of an entire collection (that seems very very interesting!), among the stuff there's also this:

is it really a *TRUE* 1st printing? which is the difference between a *TRUE* and a *NORMAL* 1st printing?

thx in advance!

If you post over in viewtopic.php?t=3139 Paul will catch the question and give you an answer.

But Gary Gygax told me that was one of the first ones off the press before he signed it and mailed it to me.

Regards,

Stephen

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:15 am 

aia wrote:howdy! i ran into a sale of an entire collection (that seems very very interesting!), among the stuff there's also this:

thx in advance!

Yep, that is Paul's(aka stormber, aka the _collectors_trove) latest round of auctions, this one for Stephen Marsh *<points to the previous post above>*. :wink: The difference in the True 1st print and Normal first print seem to be that the T1st has White flyleafs & endpapers where the Normal 1st has yelowish/orange flyleafs and endpaers. There is apparently no other differences between the two. This has been discussed in a few threads over the last couple years most recently here:

viewtopic.php?t=2684

And here are a couple older threads:

viewtopic.php?p=1683#1683

viewtopic.php?p=2194#2194

Through discussion, we seem to be in agreement that the T1st were perhaps some form of editorial/prepublication copy distrubuted to only TSR staff, based who we have found who owns them, and when they were actually given to them. Hope that helps. :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:07 am 

bclarkie wrote: The difference in the True 1st print and Normal first print seem to be that the T1st has White flyleafs & endpapers where the Normal 1st has yelowish/orange flyleafs and endpaers. There is apparently no other differences between the two.

There's also the difference that a True 1st has a shallower "hinge" than the 1st print.  On the T1st, the TSR item number "2010" at the bottom left corner of the front cover does not reach hinge, whereas on the 1st print, the "2" and "0" run over into the hinge.

Compare the photo in Paul's auction to this one, of a 1st print:

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:12 pm 

Are there any known artwork or textual changes to any of the different printings of the PHB? (Other than the obvious cover change) The Acaeum listing says the errata was never incorporated into the text.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 7:30 pm 

I received my shiny new (ok, greenish & old) 1st PHB today.  Thanks Mike!

Being the geek I am, I quickly turned to the Catalog page and noted a difference between the 1st/2nd...the price of D3 changes from $4.98 to $5.98.  

Did we know this already?  Would one of the folks fortunate enough to own a T1st be able to confirm the D3 price in that book?  Thanks.  I'll be picking the rest of the book apart for days.  :)

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 7:40 pm 

D3 is $5.98 in my 3rd, $4.98 in my 1st (not a true 1st).

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 9:10 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:I received my shiny new (ok, greenish & old) 1st PHB today.  Thanks Mike!

Being the geek I am, I quickly turned to the Catalog page and noted a difference between the 1st/2nd...the price of D3 changes from $4.98 to $5.98.  

Did we know this already?  Would one of the folks fortunate enough to own a T1st be able to confirm the D3 price in that book?  Thanks.  I'll be picking the rest of the book apart for days.  :)

Glad you got it ok!  I'm glad I picked those up (the 1st print MM and PHB).  Both were very "well loved" but of course the books are still holding together just fine and especially the PHB looks really nice inside (Mine has writing all over almost every page).  I wish I could keep even half the stuff I find nowadays....but I'm glad both books went to Acaeum members where they will be loved and appreciated!  :D

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com