Quest for Fazzlewood on eBay
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:52 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
improvstone wrote:
Brian ... I am sure there a few people named Brian in the US :wink: Maybe even some of the play / collect D&D stuff. :wink: :wink:

No doubt. :wink:  I just don't like the coincidences that seem to be piling up on this auction, thats all. :)

bri reminds me of the mel gibson character in conspiracy theory

bet he has filing cabinets full of stuff he keeps cross-referencing :)

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:55 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
improvstone wrote:
Brian ... I am sure there a few people named Brian in the US :wink: Maybe even some of the play / collect D&D stuff. :wink: :wink:

No doubt. :wink:  I just don't like the coincidences that seem to be piling up on this auction, thats all. :)

Agreed ... However two key points:

1. I believe the seller is honest.  He clearly knows his products he and was involved in their original sale / playing.  Plus the previous auctions have been clean.  I should know!

2. The price has not reached a point where I believe the zero bidder is having any real effect on the final price.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:07 pm 

improvstone wrote:
2. The price has not reached a point where I believe the zero bidder is having any real effect on the final price.

Agree there. My name may in fact be a coincidence, the jonb comment is not however. That is a deliberate attempt to scare people from here away from bidding on it. That to me means that whoever asked that question either is a member of this forum or is at least more than a casual browser. Nothing like taking advantage of the fact that we are already a little bit leary of the Zero feedback newbie bidder who has been on EBay for 4 years and no feedback seemingly trying to jack up the bid and then to blatanly ask that inflamtory question to get people even more leery. I have my suspicions as to who did it, but I have asked him regardless. I also question the fact that it seems to me that the nebie with the $860.00 bid does not seem to have found the other Fazzle auction with a bid currently sitting at $560 to his satisfaction. Think about this, lumberjacques scan is absolutely horrible, it almost makes it look fake. Then look at the pictures of the other Fazzle that I am currently leading on. There are multiple picture, big and bright, much more attractive to particulary a newbie bidder who is not supposed to know the source of the current one is reliable. If you were really a newbie, compare both auctions without knowing the sellers and which one would you be most likely to bid on....

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:23 pm 

bclarkie wrote: Think about this, lumberjacques scan is absolutely horrible, it almost makes it look fake. Then look at the pictures of the other Fazzle that I am currently leading on. There are multiple picture, big and bright, much more attractive to particulary a newbie bidder who is not supposed to know the source of the current one is reliable. If you were really a newbie, compare both auctions without knowing the sellers and which one would you be most likely to bid on....

I'm not sure I follow you here, Brian.

Are you saying it's being shilled, yet the question from "Jonb" was meant to scare us off?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:31 pm 

afoolandhis$ wrote:
bclarkie wrote: Think about this, lumberjacques scan is absolutely horrible, it almost makes it look fake. Then look at the pictures of the other Fazzle that I am currently leading on. There are multiple picture, big and bright, much more attractive to particulary a newbie bidder who is not supposed to know the source of the current one is reliable. If you were really a newbie, compare both auctions without knowing the sellers and which one would you be most likely to bid on....

I'm not sure I follow you here, Brian.

Are you saying it's being shilled, yet the question from "Jonb" was meant to scare us off?

Well, it is possibly being shilled, but yes that jonb comment was definitely meant to scare off potential bidders, particularly from here. Only someone with extensive knowledge of the most recent jonb incarnation would know to ask that question. That was done by someone with the knowledge that it would be picked up by the forum members here. My point is that whether or not that zero feedback bidder is legit or not, whoever asked the jonb situation knows that most of us are very leery of the zero feedback bidder. The very publicv attention that this zero feedback bidder has gotten here already got people on edge and that jonb question is without a doubt an attempt to further attempt to make the mebers here paranoid. The thing with shilling is, that shilling only works for a seller if the shill bid ends up not being the highest bid. So with that the shill has to be be careful not to take too large of a lead on the auction and to slowly jack the price up, because if he does get to far up, he might just end up winning the auction, which is the worst case scenario for a seller. The seller obviously doesn't want to sell this item to himself as there is no profit on that. I will be the first to admit, that I am obviously not 100% that the zero feedback bidder is a shill or not. I am however totally sure that the jonb question was meant with only one intention in mind and that was to put everyone here futher on edge. WIth that in mind with the auction is where it stands, the likelyhood of that bidder on top if he is in fact a fake bid increasing his bid is nil. Someone who knows that fols are leary of the shill bid can try take advantage of the reluctance of legit bidders to come in with a high enough snipe to take advantage of the other bidders not bidding, but still getting the item much cheaper than if everyone who is interested in bidding backs off. See the problem.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:39 pm 

bclarkie wrote: See the problem.

Okay, now I see what you mean.  Still, I think Howard's reputation adds a lot of weight to this auction, don't you?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:46 pm 

afoolandhis$ wrote:
bclarkie wrote: See the problem.

Okay, now I see what you mean. Still, I think Howard's reputation adds a lot of weight to this auction, don't you?

Well, he seems like an okay guy to me, but you never know. At this point, the auction is still in the reasonable range anyway so the threat of the zero feedback bidder at this point is really not that great and if it is a shill, that it should have a major affect on the outcome of the auction price, especially when the snipes roll in. :wink:

All of that being said though, it brings me no comfort that a zero feedback bidder whose user ID was created in 2001, claiming to hail from Philadelphia currently, yet EBay has him/her listed as being from California is currently the high bidder on the auction. Something just doesn't smell right...

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:49 pm 

I can think of a couple of possibilities that are very well known names.  They may even know Howard, or at least have been there when he DM'd it.  If so, that would at least partially explain their interest in this one as opposed to the Troll & Toad edition.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:00 pm 

afoolandhis$ wrote:I can think of a couple of possibilities that are very well known names. They may even know Howard, or at least have been there when he DM'd it. If so, that would at least partially explain their interest in this one as opposed to the Troll & Toad edition.

Could be, seems like a pretty long stretch, but like I said anything is possible. :) Being that the price is still currently reasonable(I can't believe that I just said $860.00 is reasonble for a small RPG booklet :? ), I still say go for it, if you are still planning on dropping a bid on there. :wink:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:58 pm 

I really wish Jeff would have waited awhile before putting that bid on the auction:

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 8735096593

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:00 pm 

bclarkie wrote:I really wish Jeff would have waited awhile before putting that bid on the auction:

Why?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:04 pm 

afoolandhis$ wrote:
bclarkie wrote:I really wish Jeff would have waited awhile before putting that bid on the auction:

Why?

You can't shill an unforseen snipe, but you can a proxy bid.  Not good for potential bidders <not me anyway>.  Do you know something that I do not? :)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:36 pm 

I think our Zero friend may have reached his limit .....  a $20 push ... give me a break.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:41 pm 

bclarkie wrote:You can't shill an unforseen snipe, but you can a proxy bid. Not good for potential bidders <not me anyway>. Do you know something that I do not? :)

No, no inside info here.  I get your point, though.  I guess I had given up on the presumption that it's a shill bidder.

Well, good luck to Jeff, at any rate.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:48 pm 

Looks like bad news to me.  :?

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:00 pm 

The 0 bidder is a shill. Look:

A. He knows what a Fazzle is and that it is worth a lot.
B. He has made no attempt to bid on the other Fazzle, which is at 1/2 the price he was "willing" to bid on jacques' copy.
C. He has NO FEEDBACK, and is a new member.

Come on, man, what more evidence is needed? Personally, I would NEVER bid on a shilled auction, and I would retract any bids I had on it. It really doesn't matter that we all think it would have gone over $1,000 anyways, there are two good reasons not to:

1. Shilling is insulting, and there is always the chance it COULD go for less than $1,000.

2. If the shiller wins, the mod will show back up on eBay and go for much less. Or, as is typical of shillers, a Second Chance offer would be sent to the last LEGITIMATE bidder.

Anyways, the magicprincess copy has 12 pages (confirmed), which means it is short a page.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:09 pm 

He is registered since 01 and currently is bidding on a number of very cool items.

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:36 pm 

While I'm convinced DL's right, there's something very wrong there.  My guess is he's new at shilling, too. ;)

Since he bid $900, a2jeff would have it at $910.  He wants to check if a2jeff's bid to $950, but also doesn't want to take the lead.  So he bids $940 which will tell him that.  He should have bid $941, at least, which would also have told him if a2jeff bid more than $950.  Anyway, he's now forced to bid $960 or higher to bid at all, so he takes the minimum available to him.  a2jeff still hangs onto it, so he jumps to an even $1000 -- again, a mistake.  He should have gone like $991 or so, which would have been "safer" had a2jeff bid just under $1000.  Of course, we all know a2jeff by now, I'm sure he's put $25k on it :)

( Shilling not working out?  Want to squeeze every penny out of suckers who buy stuff online?  Why not buy my latest book, "How to Lie, Cheat and Steal like a Pro".  Only $199.95, and not available in stores!  Ultra RARE!!! )

YIM  
PreviousNext