Quest for Fazzlewood on eBay
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:20 pm 

Tharizdun wrote:Deadlord,

The other seller you mention is called "Troll and Toad". They are a notable company who mostly sell MTG and games rarity stuff. They have a very good reputation as far as quality goes. If they say something is Mint, it's really Mint. Everybodys gripe with them is the prices. If you buy anything from them you can rest assured you're paying top dollar for it.
They're probably acting as middleman for Wood and they don't want him getting any offers excluding them. I'm suprised they haven't gotten back to you regards to a page count though. I've had ebay dealings with them before, if there's anything you'd like me to find out about it I can ask them to contact you.
      My 1st post :)

Greetings!
Noted the "Occupation" listed on your profile and took a bet with myself as to which thread you'd post in.
If only I could win eBay auctions so easily :)

Yes, Frank's question was relating to the number of pages, not the condition.

p.s.
Tharizdun wrote:If you buy anything from them you can rest assured you're paying top dollar for it.

The minty first print OD&D supplements purchased from Ian were pretty cheap, IMHO.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:30 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:A shame. So now there's 2 Fazzles on eBay that I wouldn't touch.
I retracted my other bid because they have yet to get back to me with a page count. They hemmed and hawed when I asked for Wood's contact info, and finally said that they would allow the winner to call him before he paid, etc, etc. Very shady. And if it does indeed have 12 pages, it is short. If it has 13, then they basically lifted the description from the Acaeum and haven't even bothered to look at the module or count the pages. Either way it's not worth bidding on.

And I thought nothing would get in your way of owning another Fazzle  .....  I seem to remember a something about 'not being able to sleep at night ...'  :D

On a more serious note the rareity of the Fazzle is interesting ... There were supposedly 300 produced of that number it seems there are:

1. 5 mint copies w/ cover, no ziplock from Mr Wood
2. Probably at least the same number of mint copies w/ cover and ziplock from lumberjacques - for all we know he could be sitting on a large box of  them

In addition there are probably a few collectors on this forum who have a copy.

So the survival rate of the copy with the cover is looking quite healthy given a 300 print run and 28 years ago.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:45 pm 

improvstone wrote:On a more serious note the rareity of the Fazzle is interesting...

*nods*. Good observation, I think, Mike. Only so much in the way of actual rarity you can determine from the number of copies sold in plain view.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:54 pm 

improvstone wrote:
Deadlord36 wrote:A shame. So now there's 2 Fazzles on eBay that I wouldn't touch.
I retracted my other bid because they have yet to get back to me with a page count. They hemmed and hawed when I asked for Wood's contact info, and finally said that they would allow the winner to call him before he paid, etc, etc. Very shady. And if it does indeed have 12 pages, it is short. If it has 13, then they basically lifted the description from the Acaeum and haven't even bothered to look at the module or count the pages. Either way it's not worth bidding on.

And I thought nothing would get in your way of owning another Fazzle ..... I seem to remember a something about 'not being able to sleep at night ...' :D

On a more serious note the rareity of the Fazzle is interesting ... There were supposedly 300 produced of that number it seems there are:

1. 5 mint copies w/ cover, no ziplock from Mr Wood
2. Probably at least the same number of mint copies w/ cover and ziplock from lumberjacques - for all we know he could be sitting on a large box of them

In addition there are probably a few collectors on this forum who have a copy.

So the survival rate of the copy with the cover is looking quite healthy given a 300 print run and 28 years ago.

What's to stop anyone from printing them and selling them slowly on eBay? How can anyone tell whether a mint copy was printed last weekend or last century. Even carbon dating would on a NM copy would only pin point it +/- a couple of years. So if you're goint to spend $1500+ on a mint digest book, how are you going to confirm its real? Or is the chance to read it worth $1500 alone?

On a similar note, I would be willing to bet that if you had $3-4K to spend, and a minty copy of OB3 or ST1, you could get a box full of copies printed in China, and you wouldn't be able to tell them apart (provided you supervised the production).

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:57 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:So if you're goint to spend $1500+ on a mint digest book, how are you going to confirm its real? Or is the chance to read it worth $1500 alone?

Hey, remember the $200 OCE context from the last time you quoted that, Ian! ;)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:59 pm 

harami2000 wrote:
mbassoc2003 wrote:So if you're goint to spend $1500+ on a mint digest book, how are you going to confirm its real? Or is the chance to read it worth $1500 alone?

I don't remember, but at least with OCEs you can compare like with like relatively easily. Weight and texture of paper, quality and size of printing. Distance between top and bottom of text blocks. Photo reproduction still relies on lenses, and as a result, there is always a subtle distortion of the image on one axis.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:03 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:
harami2000 wrote:

I don't remember, but at least with OCEs you can compare like with like relatively easily.

Heh. And I thought you were just being "tongue in cheek" last time, guru.

Oops, wrong mod! :oops:
mbassoc2003 wrote:In years to come, we'll look back and think 'I remember when you could get an orange B3 for $1500, and OCE sets were $200 a pop!'

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:19 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
harami2000 wrote:
bbarsh wrote:Out bid by Mr. 0 Feedback...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

Mr. Zero Feedback who was registered back in October 2001.
Took a long time to pluck up courage for their first bid on eBay, but then they decided to make it a BIG one! :D

oh well thats EASILY out of the realms of me bidding on it :)

I missed the updated Qs & As :lol:

Q:        I am in the Phiadelphia area. Dec-14-05

A:        Hello--- Thanks. I think the only team that comes close to the disaster season the Lions have had is the Eagles. Howard

Q:        Yes it is a legitimate bid. Dec-14-05

A:        Hello--- Thanks! Howard

Well, now we know! 8)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:57 pm 

Most of the reason I avoid mint copies of toruneys is the counterfeit possibility. Even if it comes from a reputable seller, there is no way to know if the person HE got it from was legit. Same as STD's.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:57 pm 

toruneys......

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:15 pm 

It must be fairly hard to counterfiet a toruney that is run off on a dot matrix, unless you have easy access to the equipment, and the time and software to typeset it. Its not something you can really do on your home PC or local copy shop.

So I'd feel safe bidding on dot matrix toruney, but not necessarily the photocopied ones.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:47 pm 

harami2000 wrote:I missed the updated Qs & As :lol:

Q:        I am in the Phiadelphia area. Dec-14-05
A:        Hello--- Thanks. I think the only team that comes close to the disaster season the Lions have had is the Eagles. Howard

Q:        Yes it is a legitimate bid. Dec-14-05
A:        Hello--- Thanks! Howard

Well, now we know! 8)

That puts me somewhat at ease.  At least when I come in second this time, I can drive over there and beg to see the thing.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:05 pm 

well it doesnt instil me with any form of confidence at all

think i will save my money and see what i can try and catch in stormy's next load of auctions, which is always fun

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:09 pm 

Yeah, it's a bit of a dilemma.  Whether to blow it all now, or wait for Paul's auctions.  At least he's doing us the favor of letting us know before the first Fazzle auction ends.

As for the Philly bidder...think about it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:35 pm 

afoolandhis$ wrote:Yeah, it's a bit of a dilemma. Whether to blow it all now, or wait for Paul's auctions. At least he's doing us the favor of letting us know before the first Fazzle auction ends.

As for the Philly bidder...think about it.

well at least you know where the stuff is coming from so its better really and the stuff is more interesting and its a real fisticuffs between all the collectors which is great to watch and take part in

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:41 pm 

Ian, Maxwell is from Washington State, and Creep is from Missouri. Another thing I dont like are the people f*cking around in the questions with "Hi, jonb here" and the other person using my name. I suspect that someone reading this forum is really trying to mess with us now in an attempt at hoping to pick it up on the cheap. I have a pretty good suspicion I know who it is, and its not jonb. :evil:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:47 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Ian, Maxwell is from Washington State, and Creep is from Missouri. Another thing I dont like are the people f*cking around in the questions with "Hi, jonb here" and the other person using my name. I suspect that someone reading this forum is really trying to mess with us now in an attempt at hoping to pick it up on the cheap. I have a pretty good suspicion I know who it is, and its not jonb. :evil:

Brian ... I am sure there a few people named Brian in the US  :wink:  Maybe even some of the play / collect D&D stuff.  :wink:  :wink:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:49 pm 

improvstone wrote:
Brian ... I am sure there a few people named Brian in the US :wink: Maybe even some of the play / collect D&D stuff. :wink: :wink:

No doubt. :wink:   I just don't like the coincidences that seem to be piling up on this auction, thats all.  :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

PreviousNext