Quest for Fazzlewood on eBay
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:22 am 

bclarkie wrote:JUst to throw a little mor gasoline on the fire, but the winner of lumberjaques Tsojconth auction was also from California:

eBay listings

He also has not bought anything since he bought that Tsojconth either.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d ... =mark11777

So Brian do you get a discount on the other Fazzle because it doesn't have a ziplock bag?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:34 am 

improvstone wrote:
bclarkie wrote:JUst to throw a little more gasoline on the fire, but the winner of lumberjaques Tsojconth auction was also from California:

eBay listings

So Brian do you get a discount on the other Fazzle because it doesn't have a ziplock bag?

No that I am aware of. :)    I can always just pick one up at the local supermarket though..... :wink:  :lol:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:40 am 

bclarkie wrote:
improvstone wrote:
bclarkie wrote:JUst to throw a little more gasoline on the fire, but the winner of lumberjaques Tsojconth auction was also from California:

eBay listings

No that I am aware of. :)  I can always just pick one up at the local supermarket though..... :wink: :lol:

Don'ytorget to scuff it up and let it sit out in the sun for a little while so it looks authentic  :lol:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:44 am 

Two or three things you may want to consider....

1. The seller of this particular Fazzlewood may know he's selling a fake. He may be getting jumpy and want to ensure that the item doesn't get sold.

2. It could be legit and the guy might be getting jumpy that it's sitting at such a low price, so he's pushing it up himself. Kind of like a reserve that he doesn't have to pay for. If it sells he gets to keep it. I know how he feels. I've got a Starstone sitting on eBay at 99p.

3. Buyers, particularily of some of the more expensive items, buy with more than one account, or buy from an anonymous account. This ensures their anonimity and prevents the wider community knowing who actually bought the item. This may well be legit.

4. An anonymous newbie eBay account and a new PayPal account are the ideal way of getting yourself a free Fazzlewood. You pay with a credit card. The item arrived registered mail. You charge back claiming its a fake. You get your money back and your eBay account and PayPal account get burned in the dispute, and if you've got to send it back, you send back a good quality photocopy.

I think the seller has more to worry about than us buyers.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:52 am 

bclarkie wrote:The thing that really bothers me about those bids are why the sudden and almost scared break off of the $100.00 bid increments? It is almost like the bidder is scared to take too big of a lead, and thus become less likely to be outbid. That seems to me to be more of behavior of an experienced bidder, and someone not trying to win, but just interested in jacking the bid up. I do not like the way this auction feels.....

Timing is everything.  If I'm reading it right, after DL outbid him, he placed five incremental bids in less than a minute, the last three being half as brave as the first two, knowing he was getting closer...I'm betting his last bid was $850.  That's no newbie...not even a rich newbie bids like that.  (They're either cautious or reckless, but never both...that takes a seasoned pro!)

Plus, if he's really in California, he's not getting much sleep, those last bids were at three in the morning.  Newbies don't stay up all night and watch their auctions, unless they're selling.

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:56 am 

Than might make him a No. 3. Do we know any big collectors in California who may wish to buy one one the side?
Where are creep and MaxiPad based?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:30 am 

improvstone wrote:hmmm... Very strange

I wouldn't expect lumberjaques to shill his own auctions ... he has never need to in the past. I just sent him an email ...

Also I notice JonB has taken an interest in the auction ... sound likes someone is jacking up the prices.

This is giving me the Creeps, so to speak.  Up until today, this auction seemed okay, but WTF is going on now?

A sudden rash of bids on a whole range of items doesn't offer much assurance that the 0-feedbacker isn't a shill.  Even though seller and bidder have different locations, it could still be someone operating on behalf of the seller.  Still, lumberjacques does himself seem like a solid guy.  Anyone here ever dealt with him before?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:47 am 

fwiw i think its something very ropey going on. brian is rarely wrong with these things !

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:47 pm 

bbarsh wrote:Out bid by Mr. 0 Feedback...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

Mr. Zero Feedback who was registered back in October 2001.

Took a long time to pluck up courage for their first bid on eBay, but then they decided to make it a BIG one! :D

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:23 pm 

harami2000 wrote:
bbarsh wrote:Out bid by Mr. 0 Feedback...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

Mr. Zero Feedback who was registered back in October 2001.
Took a long time to pluck up courage for their first bid on eBay, but then they decided to make it a BIG one! :D

oh well thats EASILY out of the realms of me bidding on it :)

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:28 pm 

Part of the fault with this sort of thing lies with eBay.  All they have to do is make an option to block zero feedback bidders . . . but they don't.  Sure I can block -1, -2 & -3 bidders (a lot of good that does, how many -3 feedback bidders are out there and still active?).

Not that I would normally do it, but for high profile auctions like this, I think that  ebay users would be well advised to keep all zeros blocked . . . if only ebay would let them . . .  :?

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:57 pm 

A shame. So now there's 2 Fazzles on eBay that I wouldn't touch.
I retracted my other bid because they have yet to get back to me with a page count. They hemmed and hawed when I asked for Wood's contact info, and finally said that they would allow the winner to call him before he paid, etc, etc. Very shady. And if it does indeed have 12 pages, it is short. If it has 13, then they basically lifted the description from the Acaeum and haven't even bothered to look at the module or count the pages. Either way it's not worth bidding on.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:58 pm 

Deadlord,

The other seller you mention is called "Troll and Toad". They are a notable company who mostly sell MTG and games rarity stuff. They have a very good reputation as far as quality goes. If they say something is Mint, it's really Mint. Everybodys gripe with them is the prices. If you buy anything from them you can rest assured you're paying top dollar for it.
They're probably acting as middleman for Wood and they don't want him getting any offers excluding them. I'm suprised they haven't gotten back to you regards to a page count though. I've had ebay dealings with them before, if there's anything you'd like me to find out about it I can ask them to contact you.
            My 1st post :)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:18 pm 

Tharizdun wrote:Deadlord,

The other seller you mention is called "Troll and Toad". They are a notable company who mostly sell MTG and games rarity stuff. They have a very good reputation as far as quality goes. If they say something is Mint, it's really Mint. Everybodys gripe with them is the prices. If you buy anything from them you can rest assured you're paying top dollar for it.
They're probably acting as middleman for Wood and they don't want him getting any offers excluding them. I'm suprised they haven't gotten back to you regards to a page count though. I've had ebay dealings with them before, if there's anything you'd like me to find out about it I can ask them to contact you.

I beg to differ.  They screwed me twice out of two transactions.  The items definitely were NOT as described, not only in terms of condition, but not even in terms of printings.  Definitely not what I would describe as reputable.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:20 pm 

Tharizdun wrote:Deadlord,

Greetings!
Noted the "Occupation" listed on your profile and took a bet with myself as to which thread you'd post in.
If only I could win eBay auctions so easily :)

Yes, Frank's question was relating to the number of pages, not the condition.

p.s.
Tharizdun wrote:If you buy anything from them you can rest assured you're paying top dollar for it.

The minty first print OD&D supplements purchased from Ian were pretty cheap, IMHO.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:30 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:A shame. So now there's 2 Fazzles on eBay that I wouldn't touch.
I retracted my other bid because they have yet to get back to me with a page count. They hemmed and hawed when I asked for Wood's contact info, and finally said that they would allow the winner to call him before he paid, etc, etc. Very shady. And if it does indeed have 12 pages, it is short. If it has 13, then they basically lifted the description from the Acaeum and haven't even bothered to look at the module or count the pages. Either way it's not worth bidding on.

And I thought nothing would get in your way of owning another Fazzle  .....  I seem to remember a something about 'not being able to sleep at night ...'  :D

On a more serious note the rareity of the Fazzle is interesting ... There were supposedly 300 produced of that number it seems there are:

1. 5 mint copies w/ cover, no ziplock from Mr Wood
2. Probably at least the same number of mint copies w/ cover and ziplock from lumberjacques - for all we know he could be sitting on a large box of  them

In addition there are probably a few collectors on this forum who have a copy.

So the survival rate of the copy with the cover is looking quite healthy given a 300 print run and 28 years ago.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:45 pm 

improvstone wrote:On a more serious note the rareity of the Fazzle is interesting...

*nods*. Good observation, I think, Mike. Only so much in the way of actual rarity you can determine from the number of copies sold in plain view.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:54 pm 

improvstone wrote:
Deadlord36 wrote:A shame. So now there's 2 Fazzles on eBay that I wouldn't touch.

And I thought nothing would get in your way of owning another Fazzle ..... I seem to remember a something about 'not being able to sleep at night ...' :D

On a more serious note the rareity of the Fazzle is interesting ... There were supposedly 300 produced of that number it seems there are:

1. 5 mint copies w/ cover, no ziplock from Mr Wood
2. Probably at least the same number of mint copies w/ cover and ziplock from lumberjacques - for all we know he could be sitting on a large box of them

In addition there are probably a few collectors on this forum who have a copy.

So the survival rate of the copy with the cover is looking quite healthy given a 300 print run and 28 years ago.

What's to stop anyone from printing them and selling them slowly on eBay? How can anyone tell whether a mint copy was printed last weekend or last century. Even carbon dating would on a NM copy would only pin point it +/- a couple of years. So if you're goint to spend $1500+ on a mint digest book, how are you going to confirm its real? Or is the chance to read it worth $1500 alone?

On a similar note, I would be willing to bet that if you had $3-4K to spend, and a minty copy of OB3 or ST1, you could get a box full of copies printed in China, and you wouldn't be able to tell them apart (provided you supervised the production).

PreviousNext