Favorite 1E supermodule
Poll: Which is your favorite 1E (super)module?

Scourge of the slavelords 14%       14%  [ 3 ]
Against the Giants 10%       10%  [ 2 ]
Queen of the spiders 19%       19%  [ 4 ]
Bloodstone Trilogy 10%       10%  [ 2 ]
I6 Ravenloft 5%       5%  [ 1 ]
Realms of Horror 0%       0%  [ 0 ]
Temple of the Elemental Evil 33%       33%  [ 7 ]
None of the above 10%       10%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 21

Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:57 am 

I know this is a little out of line since this is supposed to be a collector's forum, but we all once started out as players, so please allow my poll: Remember playing the old 1E modules? Sure you do! Now, here comes the question:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 4:27 am 

Even though they never made it into a supermodule. I think the Saltmarsh series (U1-3) would be the best.

Great game balance, Great Surprises.

They really gave players a chance to use their brains.

Follow U1-3 with I7 Baltrons Beacon for more fun in the same vein..

T-4 followed by S4 (Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth) and then the GDQ series

and finally S1 is another great campaign. More combat than thinking but still good.

I always skipped Q1 in the GDQ series as I though it to be a very very poor module..it made no sense..giant spider ship..yeah right..and for a major deity of the drow LLolth was a pussy cat. It was so much better to end the series with D3 by capturing LLolth  (after a BIG battle) in the Prison of Zagyg gained in S4 (for a short time anyway).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 4:51 am 

None of the above - I prefer to have the individual modules.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:24 am 

Is it me...I have never played the Temple of Elemental Evil supermod.  The GDQ mod took practically all summer if I recall correctly (going back a ways now).  It was a blast to DM.  Hard as hell, but still a blast!  The S series wasn't fluid enough and I sure as hell didn't want to introduce SiFi crap into the campaign.  Even if the characters would have never learned how to use the items.  The slavelord series was good as well.  I had issues with the Bloodstone stuff.  I thought it was munchkinism at best.

Verbose Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:40 pm 

I've run the TOEE supermodule twice and it is clearly one of the greatest works created by Gary Gygax & Frank Mentzer.  Would have to say that the Giants series is a close second followed by the Slavelords.  There just plain ol' fun!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 1:55 am 

I always loved the Bloodstone mods, just because they WERE munchkin cheesefest fun.  I mean, by the 4th one you are taking on iconic dieties and monsters...

Another decent series IMHO was UK2 and UK3.  Pretty decent plot, it didn't guide the party by the nose, and had a fair amount of detail to it.  I think they actually just got redone for Living Greyhawk if I'm not mistaken.

Anybody ever play through Desert of Desolation?  I thought the regular single mods were okay, but I just got my claws on a copy of the supermodule edition (its actually sitting in the rental office of my complex because I got home late today, so I can't wait to check it out).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 6:06 am 

UK2 and 3 should have been one long module in the first place.

Was it me, or did some modules take absolutely ages to come out?

I remember U2 took a while and U3 even longer.

I3 and 4 were together or nearly together, but I5 took forever.