The Collector's Trove Presents: Stephen R. Marsh Collection
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:51 pm 

harami2000 wrote:Good; managed to pick up the lot I particularly wanted at a reasonable price; http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8738636970

Cheers Steve & Paul :)

Congratulations on that win, David.  You really scored there.  Well done!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:56 pm 

And by the way (I just noticed), congratulations on picking up that OB3, David!  Nice one!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:59 pm 

afoolandhis$ wrote:Congratulations on that win, David. You really scored there. Well done!

Cheers, Stephen! It helps when the one that might slip under the net just happens to be the one you most want (from a research perspective). Fingers crossed there might be some early material in there given those pre-78 refs.

The PHB was just too rich for me [a mere $300 snipe here] and I couldn't stay up all night again to babysit the auctions on the chance of having more left to spend.
(Maybe I'm still feeling a bit spoiled after paying a more down-to-earth amount for that EGG->Andre Norton 1st MM, too).

Great to know it's going to a known good home (does anyone know who mjs_007 is, btw?).

Thanks again for parting with those, Steve.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:06 pm 

harami2000 wrote:(Maybe I'm still feeling a bit spoiled after paying a more down-to-earth amount for that EGG->Andre Norton 1st MM, too).

That IS a gem, isn't it?

Yes, the character sheets WERE the sleeper.  Aside from their research value, imagine holding in your hands something that may well have lain on Gary Gygax's kitchen table during an enthralling adventure or two.  Other than Rob Kuntz's dice and Tim Jiardini's Arrarat character sheets, I can't think of anything else in these that would fit in that category (correct me if I'm wrong).[/b]

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:08 pm 

afoolandhis$ wrote:And by the way (I just noticed), congratulations on picking up that OB3, David! Nice one!

*cough*
Heh. Thank you, again, but "next topic please". Has a bit of a history, that one... :?

Your $575 bid was pretty much spot on the "value", I think. ($475-500 guideline now "feels" a bit low, even though Paul was kind enough to put "only a few hundred escaped destruction" on the auction text. Still overvalued, IMHO, but can't dodge the juggernaut).

Hey, but I do get to read it at last, though! :D
(And find out whether the .pdf has any sneaky copy-protection changes or not... ;))

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:17 pm 

Did I miss something or was IO notably absent?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:37 pm 

afoolandhis$ wrote:
harami2000 wrote:(Maybe I'm still feeling a bit spoiled after paying a more down-to-earth amount for that EGG->Andre Norton 1st MM, too).

That IS a gem, isn't it?

*nod nods*. Same category as Steve's PHB; i.e. not pristine mint and ain't caring less 'bout that because it's not possible to replace a "fair" condition unique item with a "mint" condition (same) unique item! (Title page and cover foxing in the case of the 1st MM).
Wonderful to have that link/bridge between one of the authors on EGG's inspiration list and early RPG fiction and similarly wonderful to have an acknowledgement from EGG to Steve as a "major force in D&D"... :D

afoolandhis$ wrote:Yes, the character sheets WERE the sleeper. Aside from their research value, imagine holding in your hands something that may well have lain on Gary Gygax's kitchen table during an enthralling adventure or two.

Hmm... Steve didn't meet up with Gary (again?) until 1980 when working that summer (mostly with Lawrence Schick, Zeb Cook and Tom Moldvay, IIRC). Steve; were you banned from Heroquesting whilst there? ;) :)
Oh, and if there was RPGing on EGG's kitchen table, please let us know! :)

I do think I'll be able to put a context on most of Steve's sheets from 1976 through 1981, anyhow, even if not an actual location.

afoolandhis$ wrote:Other than Rob Kuntz's dice and Tim Jiardini's Arrarat character sheets, I can't think of anything else in these that would fit in that category (correct me if I'm wrong).

Hey, Bombadil. I don't think I posted a scan of that beat-up pre-pub (;)) T1st Greyhawk I picked up for twenty bucks from a well-known dealer.
(middle line of address edited for privacy)

Got a few other bits and pieces from elsewhere (Blackmoor, MIT to follow, etc.) and I'm sure a few of those RJK auctions of Paul's fit the bill, too, w/regards goings-on in Lake Geneva.
At least one of those I picked up had Mordenkainen delving through.

Yeah, is very good to have those hooks into the actual RPGing "history" and very often "mint condition" just ain't gonna fit that bill, I think.
JM-02 cents-of course ;)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:39 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Did I miss something or was IO notably absent?

Absent, yes.... :(

Had half hoped to see his bids (preferably on other auctions in the series).

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:22 pm 

harami2000 wrote: Hey, Bombadil. I don't think I posted a scan of that beat-up pre-pub (;)) T1st Greyhawk I picked up for twenty bucks from a well-known dealer.
(middle line of address edited for privacy)

So Ward is a lefty, eh?

Have to smile at that Elkhorn, WI address.  I know it well...

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:30 pm 

afoolandhis$ wrote:Have to smile at that Elkhorn, WI address. I know it well...

Anywhere you've not been to, Stephen? ;)

Would certainly be interesting to try to work out the various geographical interconnections in RPG history.
Steve; you covered a good few of those with your PBMs, of course! :)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:54 pm 

harami2000 wrote:Anywhere you've not been to, Stephen? ;)

Would certainly be interesting to try to work out the various geographical interconnections in RPG history.
Steve; you covered a good few of those with your PBMs, of course! :)

Ah, it's not all that far from where I grew up.  I knew a guy in the '70s who raced motorcycles near there.

By the way, speaking of RPGs and geography, there were some interesting details in that essay Richard Snider included with the copy of "Adventures in Fantasy" I bought from him a few months ago.  Also some interesting tidbits on working with Dave Arneson.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:17 pm 

afoolandhis$ wrote:By the way, speaking of RPGs and geography, there were some interesting details in that essay Richard Snider included with the copy of "Adventures in Fantasy" I bought from him a few months ago.

As there should be! :)
(Keeping those to yourself, btw? ;))

afoolandhis$ wrote:Ah, it's not all that far from where I grew up. I knew a guy in the '70s who raced motorcycles near there.

Hmm... just think of all that stuff you could've gotten into, even earlier than you did ^^

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:45 pm 

afoolandhis$ wrote:And by the way (I just noticed), congratulations on picking up that OB3, David! Nice one!

And congrats from me as well.

When I was at TSR you could play anything you wanted.  We even played Monster Monster (where the monsters come up from the dungeon and raid the town).

Gary was out a lot that summer.  Sigh.

Regards,

Stephen

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:58 am 

BTW, a bit of history on:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Chaosium-Thieves-Wo ... dZViewItem

(the thieves world item).

When I did the D&D adaptations, I realized that the characters needed descriptions.  No one else had them.

An editor saw my write-ups and realized that the descriptions were well done and necessary and that the book lacked them, so, he cut them all from my write-ups, put them at the front of the write-ups, and did not give me a chance to fix the castrated text he left behind -- and I didn't get paid for the writing that got moved.

As a result, my write-ups went from looking better than anyone else's to looking like some of the crappiest hack-work ever to grace the pages of a publication.

Paul can tell you I don't complain in public ... but that move galled me, even though I understood the time deadlines and such.  A simple credit or note that the character descriptions had been taken from my write-ups would have done a lot to reduce the blow.  Anything to let people know why the darn things looked like someone had hacked them apart with a chainsaw and a meat axe.

Anyway, some history to go with everything else.  I'd kept it for the kind words from Gary in the back.

Regards,

Stephen

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:57 pm 

harami2000 wrote:Oh, Ian, you're going to love your win; http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8738633238 :D
(And yes, it will help to tie up more than a few odds-and-ends with regards to your copy of the Revenaunt.
You might be missing some pages: if so, please let me know).

David,

PM me or e-mail me, please.

Ian

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:27 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:
harami2000 wrote:Oh, Ian, you're going to love your win; http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8738633238 :D
(And yes, it will help to tie up more than a few odds-and-ends with regards to your copy of the Revenaunt.
You might be missing some pages: if so, please let me know).

David,
PM me or e-mail me, please.
Ian

=> viewtopic.php?p=41347&highlight=#41347
harami2000 wrote:
Deadlord36 wrote:David, you're up to number 36 already?

I had to start in the middle owing to that time factors involved in checking out the pages in Steve Marsh's auction; http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8738633238 ;)
The in-depth connections & content for that later material makes a lot more sense to me, now, even though the framework I'd worked out after the first set of auctions was essentially correct. Excellent timing: thank you, Frank! :)

Just finished scan-reading the whole bundle: 3,000-3,500 pages or thereabouts? Now has lots of paper markers in it! :lol:
Some intriguing material/comments to follow up on, too...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:02 am 

From the personal collection of Steve Marsh, over 120 pages of articles and notes mostly from 1978 through 1983. Complete with a letter of authenticity signed by Steve.

eBay Link - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... %3AIT&rd=1

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:13 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:From the personal collection of Steve Marsh, over 120 pages of articles and notes mostly from 1978 through 1983. Complete with a letter of authenticity signed by Steve.

Ian,  I have to ask the obvious question.  Are you keeping PDF copies?

PreviousNext