The Collector's Trove Presents: Stephen R. Marsh Collection
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 31, 2, 3
Author


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 754
Joined: Feb 05, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 31, 2021

Post Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:04 pm 
 

Howdy Folks,


Looks like the Heroquest stuff is coming on strong!

Just a quick note on some statistics for the Collector's Trove Presents: The Stephen R. Marsh Collection so far:

The Most Bids
1. Players Handbook Signed EGG (13 bids)
2. Orange B3 (11 bids)
3. TIE Revenant Archive Copy and Heroquest Draft Rules (10 bids each)

Collector's Trove RECORD: 28 Jiardini 1st PH Ever Sold

The Most Watchers
1. Orange B3 (42 watchers)
2. Players Handbook Signed EGG (32 watchers)
3. TIE D3 Monocolor Signed EGG and Revenant Archive Copy (19 watchers each)

Collector's Trove RECORD: 72 Robert J. Kuntz's Bottle City Level

The Most Views
1. Orange B3 (339 views)
2. Players Handbook Signed EGG (324 views)
3. D3 Monocolor Signed EGG (137 views)

Collector's Trove RECORD: 3,500 DCSIII TSR Tiffany Paperweight


Futures Bright,

Paul


The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

 WWW  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 276
Joined: Feb 26, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 28, 2011

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:37 am 
 

Almost bid for a couple of things myself, but my wife caught me before I bought them back. ;)

I would not have predicted any of the specific results, though I am pleased with them.  I learn a lot by watching something like this.


Regards,



Stephen

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3590
Joined: Dec 20, 2003
Last Visit: Feb 22, 2021
Location: Canada

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:09 am 
 

Wow $510.00 for a Players handbook.



http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8738644544



J


Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

 WWW  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3066
Joined: Jul 09, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 30, 2015

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:12 am 
 

Blackmoor wrote:Wow $510.00 for a Players handbook.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8738644544

J


8O Wow.  You guys are nuts.  8O

 YIM  


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 754
Joined: Feb 05, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 31, 2021

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:23 am 
 

Howdy Folks,


Wow! Some surprises in there. The Players Handbook was a good one. Having an authenticated autograph made on the date of release is a rarity for sure. Good buy Stephen!

The totals were very good for Steve: $2,676.21 bringing the total auction amounts for his collection to: $7,784.27.


Futures Bright,

Paul


The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

 WWW  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Dec 25, 2019

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:28 am 
 

Blackmoor wrote:Wow $510.00 for a Players handbook.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8738644544

J




Hey the last T1st PHB signed by EGG went for over $1500.00. 8O  Maybe Stephen got a bargain there. :P


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 118
Joined: Nov 10, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 21, 2009
Location: Texas

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:13 am 
 

bclarkie wrote:Hey the last T1st PHB signed by EGG went for over $1500.00. 8O Maybe Stephen got a bargain there. :P


Were all of the Gygax autographed True 1st print Player's Handbooks mangled by the printer the way that this one was?  Could explain the value delta...

bonk!

  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3794
Joined: Feb 23, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 11, 2021

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:58 am 
 

The Collector's Trove wrote:Howdy Folks,


Wow! Some surprises in there. The Players Handbook was a good one. Having an authenticated autograph made on the date of release is a rarity for sure. Good buy Stephen!



Thanks, Paul.  I'm surprised I won it at that price, to be honest.  I thought it would go for much more.  

This may sound corny, but it's an honor for me to own Stephen's Players Handbook.  You can be sure I'm going to treasure that.

Congratulations on another successful auction.

-Stephen

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6207
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 24, 2021
Location: UK

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:13 am 
 

So, who's next? Another March/April auction?


This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:12 pm 
 

mbassoc2003 wrote:So, who's next? Another March/April auction?


that would be good for me :D

plenty of time to build up a battle fund for the DCSIII auctions :)

Al



  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2639
Joined: Jan 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 11, 2006

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:53 pm 
 

killjoy32 wrote:
mbassoc2003 wrote:So, who's next? Another March/April auction?


that would be good for me :D

plenty of time to build up a battle fund for the DCSIII auctions :)


Tsoj first, Al? ;)



=



Good; managed to pick up the lot I particularly wanted at a reasonable price; http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8738636970



Cheers Steve & Paul :)

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:52 pm 
 

harami2000 wrote:
killjoy32 wrote:
mbassoc2003 wrote:So, who's next? Another March/April auction?


that would be good for me :D

plenty of time to build up a battle fund for the DCSIII auctions :)

Tsoj first, Al? ;)


i wish.

hopefully, i will be able to go to gencon next year anyway and i plan to take enough to grab myself some nice items while there anyway.

Al



  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:54 pm 
 

harami2000 wrote:
Good; managed to pick up the lot I particularly wanted at a reasonable price; http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8738636970

Cheers Steve & Paul :)




yes well done with that one - i was VERY tempted to lob in another bid there - would have prb been about $100, but in the end, i just couldnt be arsed really - and my c/c prb breathed a little better for it :D



enjoy!



Al



  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 276
Joined: Feb 26, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 28, 2011

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:52 pm 
 

afoolandhis$ wrote:
The Collector's Trove wrote:Howdy Folks,


Wow! Some surprises in there. The Players Handbook was a good one. Having an authenticated autograph made on the date of release is a rarity for sure. Good buy Stephen!



Thanks, Paul. I'm surprised I won it at that price, to be honest. I thought it would go for much more.

This may sound corny, but it's an honor for me to own Stephen's Players Handbook. You can be sure I'm going to treasure that.

Congratulations on another successful auction.

-Stephen


Ah, but with your attitude I'm glad you won the auction.  Sometimes having the right person get something is better than getting more money for it.


Regards,



Stephen

  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2639
Joined: Jan 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 11, 2006

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:36 pm 
 

Ethesis wrote:Ah, but with your attitude I'm glad you won the auction. Sometimes having the right person get something is better than getting more money for it.

Agreed 100% with that, Stephen. :)
Doesn't happen so often in these more commercial times, alas.

If the inscription were just "To Steve" I might have commented on other possible "interests" there, too! ;)
*g* sorry! ^^

  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2639
Joined: Jan 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 11, 2006

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:49 pm 
 

killjoy32 wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8738636970
yes well done with that one - i was VERY tempted to lob in another bid there - would have prb been about $100, but in the end, i just couldnt be arsed really - and my c/c prb breathed a little better for it :D

enjoy!


Thanks, Al; will do. [Bid was $200+, btw]. I have enough of the background bits-and-pieces from elsewhere to hopefully tie some of these in to. Certainly most of the older material in there would have caused a "mass confusion" effect on the ill-prepared traveller.

Shall see... maybe I'll be similarly confounded!



=



Oh, Ian, you're going to love your win; http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8738633238 :D

(And yes, it will help to tie up more than a few odds-and-ends with regards to your copy of the Revenaunt.

You might be missing some pages: if so, please let me know).

  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3794
Joined: Feb 23, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 11, 2021

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:51 pm 
 

harami2000 wrote:Good; managed to pick up the lot I particularly wanted at a reasonable price; http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8738636970

Cheers Steve & Paul :)




Congratulations on that win, David.  You really scored there.  Well done!

  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3794
Joined: Feb 23, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 11, 2021

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:56 pm 
 

And by the way (I just noticed), congratulations on picking up that OB3, David!  Nice one!

  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2639
Joined: Jan 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 11, 2006

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:59 pm 
 

afoolandhis$ wrote:Congratulations on that win, David. You really scored there. Well done!

Cheers, Stephen! It helps when the one that might slip under the net just happens to be the one you most want (from a research perspective). Fingers crossed there might be some early material in there given those pre-78 refs.

The PHB was just too rich for me [a mere $300 snipe here] and I couldn't stay up all night again to babysit the auctions on the chance of having more left to spend.
(Maybe I'm still feeling a bit spoiled after paying a more down-to-earth amount for that EGG->Andre Norton 1st MM, too).

Great to know it's going to a known good home (does anyone know who mjs_007 is, btw?).

Thanks again for parting with those, Steve.

  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3794
Joined: Feb 23, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 11, 2021

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:06 pm 
 

harami2000 wrote:(Maybe I'm still feeling a bit spoiled after paying a more down-to-earth amount for that EGG->Andre Norton 1st MM, too).


That IS a gem, isn't it?

Yes, the character sheets WERE the sleeper.  Aside from their research value, imagine holding in your hands something that may well have lain on Gary Gygax's kitchen table during an enthralling adventure or two.  Other than Rob Kuntz's dice and Tim Jiardini's Arrarat character sheets, I can't think of anything else in these that would fit in that category (correct me if I'm wrong).[/b]

  
PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 31, 2, 3