The Collector's Trove Presents: Stephen R. Marsh Collection
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:40 am 

Howdy Folks,

I'll list this here for discussion. Ask away, Steve and I will be happy to answer questions.

The Collector's Trove is running it's 7th auction in The Collector's Trove Presents series. This is the second auction for Steve, continuing with LOT 36-58 of his collection. Check it out here:

viewtopic.php?t=3138

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:24 am 

Hi Paul and Steve,

Looks like a nice lot of interesting items.

Can you give me more info on this one:

Old Playtest PC Sheets Cthulhu RQ D&D AD&D DQ (includes Illysio Morningstar from Dungeon Masters Adventure Log)

When do the D&D sheets date from, and who designed them?

Many thanks,
Stephen

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:50 am 

Howdy,

The PC sheets are a huge lot of Steve's old character sheets for the various systems described.

Most are for D&D c. 1975-78. Include a variety of homemade sheets and professionally published ones.

The description is as follows:

This is for Steve's personal set of PC record sheets, maps, notes, and sketches used to play in and playtest various RPG's. The sheets include well over 50 character sheets for original D&D from the early 1970's, AD&D, Dragonquest, Heroquest, Runequest, Fantasy Trip, Call of Cthulhu, Top Secret, Superworld, and Traveller! Characters include some of Steve's favorite creatures/classes such as snow dwarves, phoenix, harpists, weretigers, specialty mages, etc. There are some other game systems represented as well including two very old sheets with Call of Cthulhu-like stats and write-ups - not sure if these would be American Gothic era stuff. I'll get Steve to confirm and update at the bottom of the listing.

The sheets also include Steve's own Illysio Morningstar character who appears in the sample adventure log pages in the back of the Dungeon Masters Adventure Log! Steve Marsh is listed as the player of Illysio, of course. Steve's character appears along with other old-school luminaries (not included in this auction) such as Fred 9802, Knock Grafton, Black Dougal, Morgan Ironwolf, and Sister Rebecca played by Dave Cook, Kevin Hendryx, Jeff R. Leason, Tom and Rebecca Moldvay, Lawrence Schick, and Jean Wells!

Illysio Morningstar is Steve's original D&D character but like all of the TSR gamers, he kept the secrets of his character to himself. The Dungeon Masters Adventure Log only skims the surface of the TRUE Illysio Morningstar! Now you can own the real character sheet with all of it's mysteries as well as a whole stack of other original Steve Marsh character sheets, notes, maps, sketches!

As a final bonus, all of the notes, maps, sketches and miscellaneous scrawlings from the adventures of these varied characters will be included! An incredible time capsule of the golden age of so many of our favorite games from one of the original developers and playtesters!

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:13 pm 

Thanks, Paul.  Sounds VERY cool.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:23 am 

Howdy Folks,

O.K. it is up and running. Please email me if there are any errors or malfunctions.

This was WAY easier than the 445 items I listed last month!

Futures Bright,

Paul

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:37 pm 

Ok Paul

So how many more copies of the Planes of Existence and the Revenaunt are you expecting to release onto the market?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:02 pm 

Howdy Mike,

improvstone wrote:Ok Paul
So how many more copies of the Planes of Existence and the Revenaunt are you expecting to release onto the market?

The Planes of Existence being offered now are earlier drafts and are nowhere near the scope of the TSR handled manuscript lot sold last year. These are early iterations of the planes that Steve discovered in his files. There are no more copies.

The Revenant, there were only three in Steve's collection. Two have been sold. One to Ian (DM tournament copy - resold recently) and another to a private collector (part file copy/part original copy). This is the last copy, Steve's own archival photocopy from 20 years ago, taken out of it's 3-ring binder. There are no more copies.

Futures Bright,

Paul

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:19 pm 

Paul, your arms got quite the screen time...should get one of those "arm actor" gigs.  :lol:

There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:58 pm 

Howdy,

MrFilthyIke wrote:Paul, your arms got quite the screen time...should get one of those "arm actor" gigs. :lol:

When I did the picks for one of my recent woodgrain auctions I was running around a bit getting things set up. When I took the picture I was leaning over and all of the blood rushed to my hands and arms. So the pictures turned out with blood red hands holding the set. Looked quite devilish. :twisted:

My carpet is famous too. Sadly, my kids are constantly spilling things on that  carpet - it is in the rec room I finished. I fret that one day I'll have to replace it.

Futures Bright,

Paul

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:57 pm 

The Collector's Trove wrote:Howdy,

The PC sheets are a huge lot of Steve's old character sheets for the various systems described.

Most are for D&D c. 1975-78. Include a variety of homemade sheets and professionally published ones.

The description is as follows:

This is for Steve's personal set of PC record sheets, maps, notes, and sketches used to play in and playtest various RPG's. The sheets include well over 50 character sheets for original D&D from the early 1970's, AD&D, Dragonquest, Heroquest, Runequest, Fantasy Trip, Call of Cthulhu, Top Secret, Superworld, and Traveller!

Futures Bright,

Paul

Paul,
Are the D&D character sheets photocopies?  I mean this in two ways.  First, are they photocopies of Steve's characters?  And second, if not, did Steve use photocopied sheets or original sheets for his characters?

Many thanks,
Stephen

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:30 pm 

Howdy,

afoolandhis$ wrote:Are the D&D character sheets photocopies? I mean this in two ways. First, are they photocopies of Steve's characters?

No. They are not photocopies. They are all originals.

afoolandhis$ wrote:And second, if not, did Steve use photocopied sheets or original sheets for his characters?

The character sheets themselves are a mixture of originals and photcopies. However, most of the D&D ones are simply written on a sheet of looseleaf paper, e.g., Illysia Morningstar (referred to in the back of the AD&D Dungeon Master's Log) is hand written on two sheets of looseleaf paper in ink and pencil. It is also in a plastic binder sleeve.

Futures Bright,

Paul

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:16 pm 

The Collector's Trove wrote:My carpet is famous too.

You know what that mean...cut it into pieces and off to ebay with it.  

You to can own the carpet famous for starring in so many auctions...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:14 am 

MrFilthyIke wrote:
The Collector's Trove wrote:My carpet is famous too.

You know what that mean...cut it into pieces and off to ebay with it.

You to can own the carpet famous for starring in so many auctions...

yeah could raise enough funds to buy a new carpet! wow what a way of paying for it :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:25 am 

killjoy32 wrote:yeah could raise enough funds to buy a new carpet! wow what a way of paying for it :)

Al

But oh so appropriate. :)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:41 pm 

Howdy Folks,

Just a quick note on some statistics on the Collector's Trove Presents: The Stephen R. Marsh Collection so far:

The Most Bids
1. Players Handbook Signed EGG (11 bids)
2. TIE Orange B3 and RPG Industry Letters (8 bids)
3. Revenant Archive Copy (7 bids)

Collector's Trove RECORD: 28 Jiardini 1st PH Ever Sold

The Most Watchers
1. Orange B3 (36 watchers)
2. Players Handbook Signed EGG (30 watchers)
3. TIE D3 Monocolor Signed EGG and Revenant Archive Copy (16 watchers each)

Collector's Trove RECORD: 72 Robert J. Kuntz's Bottle City Level

The Most Views
1. Players Handbook Signed EGG (264 views)
2. Orange B3 (257 views)
3. D3 Monocolor Signed EGG (102 views)

Collector's Trove RECORD: 3,500 DCSIII TSR Tiffany Paperweight

Futures Bright,

Paul

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:48 pm 

That's interesting.  Makes me glad you found those items in all the stuff I sent you.

I should have kept better care of things -- not to mention, if knew then what I know now, I'd have never given away all those shrink wrapped modules from TSR. ;)

Regards,

Stephen

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:25 am 

The Collector's Trove wrote:
The Most Views
Collector's Trove RECORD: 3,500 DCSIII TSR Tiffany Paperweight

Hmm... that's interesting, do you suppose that's from all the people who search out items with the keyword Tiffany?  BTW, do you remember how much the TSR paperweight sold for?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:52 pm 

Howdy,

I think the reason was I had it listed as LOT #1 and a lot of folks came into the whole auction by looking at that one, bookmarking it, and then clicking on View Sellers Other Items for Sale.

In the end it sold for $360.55.

Futures Bright,

Paul

Next