Locating Dave Trampier?
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:07 am 

Part of the falling out Trampier had (and this is fairly common info so I'm not trying to lord anything over) came from the fact that he wanted to self-publish Wormy compilations.  TSR said no, that they belonged to them; he essentially sold each strip to TSR/Dragon Magazine.

So his last effort regarding Wormy involved selling "shares" of profits of a future Wormy compilation to fans and then using that money to hire a lawyer and take TSR to court.

He lost, case closed.  IIRC he repaid most if not all "investors" over a short period of time, tho.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:32 am 

He lost, case closed. IIRC he repaid most if not all 'investors' over a short period of time, tho.

Just a damn shame. WORMY was by far the best D&D-related cartoon strip there was (IMHO).

My fave WORMY strip is the one where the wicked wizard, Grimolry, on the back of ShadowCat, crashes through the glass shell of their current sphere of existence and flies out into hyperspace, where he sees a multitude of other spheres exactly like the one he just left. Very metaphysical and, of course, beautifully rendered!

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:55 am 

bonk! wrote:My fave WORMY strip is the one where the wicked wizard, Grimolry, on the back of ShadowCat, crashes through the glass shell of their current sphere of existence and flies out into hyperspace

I agree: it's a wonderful image. For those who don't remember it:

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:44 pm 

Hmm. Might it be lawful good if we raised a bunch of money and respectfully let Trampier know that he could claim it (& do whatever he wanted with it) if he picked up the pen again & started doing original art. If he didn't want to do that, we could use the money to start a health insurance trust for him.

After the tragedies of losing Sutherland and Parkinson and the scare of Gygax's stroke, etc., etc., I feel like we should do whatever we can to look after the health of those original geniuses we have left -- especially if, as some have speculated, they might not be looking after themselves in the best possible mannet.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:38 am 

Tav_Behemoth wrote:Hmm. Might it be lawful good if we raised a bunch of money and respectfully let Trampier know that he could claim it (& do whatever he wanted with it) if he picked up the pen again & started doing original art. If he didn't want to do that, we could use the money to start a health insurance trust for him.

After the tragedies of losing Sutherland and Parkinson and the scare of Gygax's stroke, etc., etc., I feel like we should do whatever we can to look after the health of those original geniuses we have left -- especially if, as some have speculated, they might not be looking after themselves in the best possible mannet.

Quite frankly, from whatever I've read and heard, Tramp has absolutely no interest in professionally illustrating and I personally have no interest raising money for someone that treats his fans like diseased pariahs.  There are plenty of other artists from TSRs "Golden Years" like Erol Otus, Jim Roslof, Jeff Dee and Jim Holloway that are still around and still working and throwing us bones at least (the Goodman Games Dungeon Crawl covers).  Plus at least Dee and Roslof are accepting commissions (I have Jim working on a piece for me at this time) and this shows me they are interested in interacting with at least a segment of their fan base. Whatever hole Tramp has crawled in the last 20 years, he's welcome to it. All this digging up of what are probably to him bad memories is unproductive.  Imagine the job you absolutely hated the most in your life, and this job screwed you over and basicaly crapped on you,  then imagine having to bring up that job constantly as the result of well meaning strangers who continually want you to reminisce about those days, and having those same people want you to work at that job again!  If I already wasn't a cynaical curmudegon, I would be in short order.
      If Tramp wants anything to do with his fan base, there exists lots of avenues where he could seek redress (I'm sure Gencon any year would immediately pay him whatever he wanted to set up a table there for sketches, he's make a fortune, and the line for him would go out the door).  That he chooses not to at great final loss for himself tells me all I need to know about his mental and emotional state.  From what I've heard through the years, his actions speak of mental illness and he may actually be incapable of assuming his former profession.  For those of us 40+, this reminds me so much of the hassling Pink Floyd's Syd Barrett received for decades after retiring in his prime during the late 60's (he had several fullblown psychotic episodes and is in seclusion until this day).  People kept showing up at Barrett's mother's cottage, where he lived and begging to see him only to be shooed away.  If Tramp want's to be the RPG art world's Syd Barrett, I have no problem with that and think anyone who wants to contact him needs to realize he is a recluse because he wants to be....

Mike B.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:27 pm 

As much as I love Trampier's artwork I have to agree with Badmike for the most part.  If Trampier had a love of illustration - not necessarily of D&D, RPGs or even wargames in general, but of actual art - he'd have kept doing it.  Not even on a professional level but there's no indication that he's even remotely interested in it.

Think about this: he's Tom Wham's Bro-in-law.  Tom hasn't spoken to him in nearly 30 years.  Thirty years!

OTOH I can right at this minute email and get a response back from Jeff Dee, another great D&D artist.  

Lots of folks got a raw deal from the D&D days, and frankly I don't think anyone got it worse than Mr. Sutherland, may he rest in peace.  So if Trampier wants to carry a chip on his shoulder...well, that's his own business.  The "hassling Syd Barret" analogy is nearly perfect, Badmike, except I don't recall Barrett ever leaning out his window and yelling at anyone to fuck off.  Trampier's as much as done so.

I loved the guy's artwork.  Doesn't mean I love the guy.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:32 pm 

Hard to argue with that analysis, Badmike, much as I wish it were otherwise!

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:32 am 

Greetings:  First, let me introduce myself.  I am the fellow that auctioned off the Titan game that Dave and Jason gifted me those many years ago.  I have been asked by auction bidders to join this forum and to provide information regarding the game and its co-creators.  So, here I am!  Unfortunately, I have not kept up on the D&D world since my Titan days back to the late 70s.  I have read the previous posts.  What I know about Dave is that he would be presently involved in the D&D art world if he wanted to be, and in my opinion should be left alone.  I do not have direct contact with Dave.  But what I have been told of him, it would be best to leave him to the life he has chosen for himself.  Please, do not ask me particulars as I do not want to become embroiled in his personal life and I respect his right to privacy.  However, I will make an attempt to answer what I deem to be reasonable questions regarding Titan and its co-creators if there is such an interest.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:19 am 

Did you have contact with Dave when he first began illustrating for TSR? How did he link up with TSR and did he talk about those early days?

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:16 pm 

Sorry, but after high school I went off to college and Dave eventually moved to the suburbs of Chicago.  I only saw him until around 1978 when I would be told of a Titan gathering by Jason.  I would drive in and meet up with everyone at Dave's apartment for the game.  Little else was discussed or accomplished and TSR was not in the picture then.  We played on the original game that Dave had hand drawn (each hexagon).  It was beautiful and very much a piece of art.  I was actually disappointed when I was gifted the eventual Titan (Gorgonstar) game as the board was not nearly up to the artistic level of the original.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:25 pm 

jkason wrote:To lok at it another way, read Wormy again, but from the point of view of someone who's making fun of gamers in general, wargamers in particular, and FRPG players specifically.

If that is true, he had in in for gamers long before he left the industry.  8O

~Clangador
---------------

Black Blade Publishing imprint of OSRIC is not only the most definitive printing of OSRIC to date, but also the single greatest resource for old school gamers since the three original hardbacks written by E. Gary Gygax.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:39 pm 

Tav_Behemoth wrote:Hard to argue with that analysis, Badmike, much as I wish it were otherwise!

Not to mention, another artist, still in the game:

http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/cgi-bin/ggmain.cgi

Regards,

Stephen

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:30 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:
I agree: it's a wonderful image. For those who don't remember it:

[ Image ]

That's awesome.

~Clangador
---------------

Black Blade Publishing imprint of OSRIC is not only the most definitive printing of OSRIC to date, but also the single greatest resource for old school gamers since the three original hardbacks written by E. Gary Gygax.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:55 pm 

Let's let Tramp be.

I spoke at length with Tom Wham at GenCon about Tramp and Tom's sister, who is married to Tramp.

If the family can not get him to come to a funeral, you are not going to get him out of his self-induced seclusion to draw again. I probably knew him as well as anyone did when I was with TSR. Tramp and I spent hundreds of hours in my basement playing micro-armor games on my sandtable and racing slotless HO racecars until we melted the armatures, not to mention playing Titan.

To accuse him of ridiculing gamers and gaming is shallow, short-sighted and unfair. He very much considered himself a gamer, and was justifiably proud of Titan. He spent a lot of time with Jason and others developing that game.

Tramp's humor was much more subltle than a blanket condemnation of all games and gamers. His targets were those gamers that took gaming, games and themselves way too seriously. The sardonicism of Wormy shows that time and again. Tramp liked gaming, but not EVERY game. He liked gamers in general, but had no use for those gamers that were so wrapped up in it that they had no other life and had lost their sense of humor.

No one is sorrier than I that Dave's personal demons are winning right now in the struggle for his psyche. He was always a fairly private man, opening up only to those whose trust and mutual respect he had given and/or received.

Dave was so private that he always got his originals back the day the printer returned them to me. So far as I know, I am the only person lucky enough to have been given two of his original pieces for my own; the Christmas back cover and the double cover of DRAGON 15.

So grant him his privacy now. Perhaps one day he will find himself again and regain his former mental health/state. Maybe not...

So far as any of his family knows he's still driving the cab and wrestling with his private demons. Let him do it on his own.

Nemesis of the Annoyingly Dense
Guidelines, not rules...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:09 pm 

As I noted on Rob's site, it makes me sad to hear this. It such a shame that such a gifted artist who many people highly admire(myself included) is now not doing the thing that he is greatest at. :(

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:35 pm 

Kaskoid wrote:To accuse him of ridiculing gamers and gaming is shallow, short-sighted and unfair. He very much considered himself a gamer, and was justifiably proud of Titan. He spent a lot of time with Jason and others developing that game.

That is the reaction I had from reading the strips, just didn't think to say so.

Kaskoid wrote:Tramp's humor was much more subltle than a blanket condemnation of all games and gamers. His targets were those gamers that took gaming, games and themselves way too seriously. The sardonicism of Wormy shows that time and again. Tramp liked gaming, but not EVERY game. He liked gamers in general, but had no use for those gamers that were so wrapped up in it that they had no other life and had lost their sense of humor.

Yep. Exactly what I figured. Would have to be pretty subtle to ecsape the notice of most readers of the magazine.

Although, from reading the editorials in some of the mags, maybe not.

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

Previous