WTF was she thinking!!
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:07 pm 

Badmike wrote: I wouldn't move to Cross Plains for free room and board and a visit from the Pusscat Dolls every weekend....
Mike B.

I think you'd manage to find time to take a room.   :wink:

I've enjoyed Lovecraft's work, but I have often doubted that I would have liked him as a person.  Can you think of a single Lovecraft character that you would have liked had you met him?  (I mean, aside from Yog Sothoth...)

Lovecraft was probably better at a distance...without the unendurable agony of human social contact.

Out here on the edge of the Western World I sometimes feel like Howard must have felt.  Imagine having the scope of knowledge and interests that REH obviously enjoyed but having no one to talk to about all of it....

Howard's anger at the world...so evident in his poetry...was the anger of an outsider looking in at a world he actually longed to join. (my opinion)

Had Howard survived his mother's death he might have left Texas...and then who knows....?

Mark  8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:30 pm 

Badmike wrote:I don't think any of the biographies about him have ever really solved him.

No one's ever come close. A scholarly biography of REH would be a wonderful treasure for thousands and thousands of fans.

And, no, DeCamp's "effort" doesn't count. Dragging your wife and a 200-year-old psychologist down to Texas for a few weeks is not exactly cutting-edge research.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:11 pm 

Most of the guys I gamed with loved to just roll up your garden variety dwarf fighter most of the time

Presumably a garden variety dwarf would be a gnome (fishing rod optional) :lol:

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:02 am 

gyg wrote:
Presumably a garden variety dwarf would be a gnome (fishing rod optional) :lol:

:lol: I am a sucker for a bad pun.

By the way - gyg - you should get more sleep  Posting after 1am and again at 6am.  8O

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Previous