New I6 Ravenloft Print?  Or am I late to the party?
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:15 pm 

While identifying prints of some of my modules yesterday, I found two distinctly different prints of the module I6 Ravenloft. I read this at the Acaeum:

I6 Ravenloft                                          

First (1983): Does not have the TSR Silver logo in the bottom right corner. Maps on the interior cover have a peach-colored background, with the structure in browns and oranges. (Thanks to Geoffrey Foreman for this info).

Second (1999): Has the TSR Silver logo in the bottom right corner. Maps on the interior cover now have a blue background, with the structure rendered in blue and black (giving a flatter appearance). Identical in all other respects to the First print. This print was available only within the limited-edition Silver Anniversary Collector's Edition released by TSR in 1999. It did not come shrinkwrapped. (Thanks to Geoffrey Foreman for help with this info).

A 2nd Edition AD&D-compatible version of Ravenloft was also released in 1999; that module, entitled Ravenloft: 25th Anniversary, is listed on a separate page.

Yet what I have here is a 1st print predating the silver anniversary edition (either one). I have no idea which came first. Version #1 has the price of $6.00 in small font near the bottom right of the back cover; the ISBN is on the back underneath the item description and is large with a white background. Version #2 has no price, and the ISBN and product number are in tiny font underneath the item description on the back cover (no white background). Anyone know about this? It seems to contradict the Acaeum product info. I can send back cover scans to anyone interested. I'll post scans here if someone can walk me through getting a photobucket (or whoever) account set up.

Mike B.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:25 pm 

Photobucket run a no set-up-required 2nd service; http://www.tinypic.com/

Simply upload a pic up to 250k in size, then display using [img]URL%20of%20uploaded%20pic[/img].

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:35 pm 

The only problem with tinypic is once they stop getting so many page views over a set period of time (i dont know what it is exactly)....they will remove the image from the server. So old threads will have a red x if anyone pulls them up.

Try setting up a photobucket account, Mike. It is fun!! and you keep your avatar and other goodies in there for use anytime.

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:26 pm 

Well, I am going to confirm the second printing of I6. Nice job, Mike.

As fate would have it, I have two I6s in front of me right now. One is stock for ebay the other is from my collection.

The copy from my collection has the ISBN and product code in small type with no price. I am going to call this one the first printing because I am 99% sure I bought it within days of its release. Many of the modules in my first edition collection are original purchases. I bought every module as it was published back in the day. Therefore, I am very confident that one is the first printing.

The second I6 is exactly as Mike has described. Additionally, the one I have is "darker" than my "first". When lying side by side, the difference is obvious.

Now we need to confirm, precisely, which is a first print and which is a second. Logically, I would say the one with the single isbn and price is the first print. But again, I know I bought my copy within days of its release and it does not have the price. However, there are other modules that did place both isbn and product number on first printings (i.e. B4)

I will take some time and pull other 1983/84 modules out and look for a price on back cover. Problem is, my stuff is all bagged and boarded and my storage room is currently loaded with xmas storage boxes (pulled out for decorating) and kids presents so I can barely reach the my collection boxes. I do not want to pull all that stuff out while the kids are around, so it is going to have to wait.

I am not finding other modules with price on back cover around the same time period as I6.

As a side note, I have often thought it was weird that TSR did not run multiple prints of this module. It got a good deal of hype in its day.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:52 pm 

bbarsh wrote:Well, I am going to confirm the second printing of I6. Nice job, Mike.

You know, all the crap I have lying around, I ever start actually looking at it I might be dangerous  :D

As fate would have it, I have two I6s in front of me right now. One is stock for ebay the other is from my collection.

The copy from my collection has the ISBN and product code in small type with no price. I am going to call this one the first printing because I am 99% sure I bought it within days of its release. Many of the modules in my first edition collection are original purchases. I bought every module as it was published back in the day. Therefore, I am very confident that one is the first printing.

The second I6 is exactly as Mike has described. Additionally, the one I have is "darker" than my "first". When lying side by side, the difference is obvious.

I concur on all these points, including the "darker" later print.  

Now we need to confirm, precisely, which is a first print and which is a second. Logically, I would say the one with the single isbn and price is the first print. But again, I know I bought my copy within days of its release and it does not have the price. However, there are other modules that did place both isbn and product number on first printings (i.e. B4)

I will take some time and pull other 1983/84 modules out and look for a price on back cover. Problem is, my stuff is all bagged and boarded and my storage room is currently loaded with xmas storage boxes (pulled out for decorating) and kids presents so I can barely reach the my collection boxes. I do not want to pull all that stuff out while the kids are around, so it is going to have to wait.

I am not finding other modules with price on back cover around the same time period as I6.

I have a feeling the copies with the price on the back are later copies, but this is completely unscientific.  Mostly because as you say other contemporary modules also do not have the price on the back.

As a side note, I have often thought it was weird that TSR did not run multiple prints of this module. It got a good deal of hype in its day.

I remember it as being very popular, look at it being voted one of the modules to be reprinted in the 1999 silver anniversary poll, and it's been updated to 2nd edition not once but twice (House of Strahd, then the silver anniversary version by the RPGA).  It does make sense there was at least one other print before the 1999 silver anniversary reprint.

Mike B.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:16 am 

While we're on the subject of I6, could you two check your copies and see if the key numbers on the Wilderness map matches the appropriate section in the modules?  I've got an e-mail from a contributor here saying that his copy doesn't match, though his copy of the Silver Anniversary Edition has it corrected.

Foul

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:21 am 

Just took a quick look. Both modules appear to be the same as far as map key for Map 1 Lands of Barovia.

What exactly is the error that was corrected. I am not seeing a problem between map and keyed encounters, but I just took a quick look. Got to get to work...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:56 am 

FoulFoot wrote:While we're on the subject of I6, could you two check your copies and see if the key numbers on the Wilderness map matches the appropriate section in the modules? I've got an e-mail from a contributor here saying that his copy doesn't match, though his copy of the Silver Anniversary Edition has it corrected.

Foul

I just went though both and can't find any differences from the key numbers and enounters, either from each other or from the text.  What was the specific mistake?

Bbarsh does the copy of I6 you have without the price have "2-88" down by the "PRINTED IN USA"  on the title page?  It's not on the other copy.  It's the only difference I could find in the interior.

Damn my other copy is in SW so I can't compare that one also.

Mike B.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:50 pm 

No to the 2-88 on the title page. Neither copy has it. I can't find a single difference in regard to the interior books. However, the book that does not have the price is cut a little differently.

There is only about 1/4" or less of white space at the top before the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons line. The copy with the price tag is about 1/2" from the top. As I flip through the copy with price tag, the page numbers are right at the bottom of the page, and almost cut off.

Also, the price tage book is about 1/8" taller: covers and booklet.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:52 pm 

Here's what the contributor wrote, verbatim:

I have an original printing of I6 Ravenloft. It has a strange problem or Typo/mistake. The Key Numbers on the Wilderness map do not match the reference #s in the module.  I always thought that it was funny but I didn't think much about it till I received in the mail my RPG version of I6 Ravenloft (Silver Anniversary edition) which fixed the problem. Also when I purchased the Silver Anniversary Collector's Edition and read the re-release of I6 Ravenloft I notice that the problem was fixed there. You make no mention of the problem in any of the I6 Ravenloft desriptions. Has there ever been any mention of it? I wonder if TSR caught the problem would they have done a second printing with a correction?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:15 pm 

FoulFoot wrote:Here's what the contributor wrote, verbatim:

I have an original printing of I6 Ravenloft. It has a strange problem or Typo/mistake. The Key Numbers on the Wilderness map do not match the reference #s in the module. I always thought that it was funny but I didn't think much about it till I received in the mail my RPG version of I6 Ravenloft (Silver Anniversary edition) which fixed the problem. Also when I purchased the Silver Anniversary Collector's Edition and read the re-release of I6 Ravenloft I notice that the problem was fixed there. You make no mention of the problem in any of the I6 Ravenloft desriptions. Has there ever been any mention of it? I wonder if TSR caught the problem would they have done a second printing with a correction?

Well, he got it backwards. I just re read the RPGA silver Anniversary version (where I6 is reprinted converted to 2nd edition) and the encounter numbers are completely off, they actually have not one single encounter matching.  For example, Encounter J Is the Tser Falls in the book, but on the map it is the Gates of Ravenloft (and in the original I6).  I is listed as Madam Eva tent in the silver version, where on the map it is the crossroads.  Every single map reference in the silver anniversary version is completely wrong. It's the oddest thing I've ever seen in a module. So no, actually the ORIGINAL version is correct, it is the REMAKE that is wrong.

Mike B.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:20 pm 

Ok. I just took some time to review the Wilderness Map and I can't find anything wrong with it or the keyed encounters. Everything matches just fine. Both modules are identical in this regard. I don't have access to a silver reprint (my silver anniversary set is shrinked).

If I can get my hands on a silver I6 in the next week or so, I'll compare them.

But, in the meantime, I don't know what the hell that guy is talking about 8O

I'll take a few minutes and check the numbered encounters in the castle...maybe that is the problem. But I don't recall there being a problem with it.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:18 pm 

Here's info on my copy (I'm not expecting anything ULTRA RARE!!1 here...)

Non Silver printing

Peach background maps

Wildnerness map correspond with encounters in the module

Title page has *exactly* 1/4" above "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons"

Copyright 1983

Lower left reads:

"ISBN 0-88038-042-X

(space)

394-53465-4TSR0600

(space)

PRINTED IN USA"

Lower right reads:

"9075"

Back cover has UPC printed on lower left

Middle has description followed by:

"(c) 1983 TSR, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Printed in U.S.A.

(space)

(space)

ISBN 0-88038-042-X

394-53165-4TSR0600"

*No price on back*

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:58 pm 

Here's info on my copy (I'm not expecting anything ULTRA RARE!!1 here...)

Corresponds to what I am calling the first print.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:38 pm 

Badmike wrote:While identifying prints of some of my modules yesterday, I found two distinctly different prints of the module I6 Ravenloft. I read this at the Acaeum:

I6 Ravenloft                                          

First (1983): Does not have the TSR Silver logo in the bottom right corner. Maps on the interior cover have a peach-colored background, with the structure in browns and oranges. (Thanks to Geoffrey Foreman for this info).

Second (1999): Has the TSR Silver logo in the bottom right corner. Maps on the interior cover now have a blue background, with the structure rendered in blue and black (giving a flatter appearance). Identical in all other respects to the First print. This print was available only within the limited-edition Silver Anniversary Collector's Edition released by TSR in 1999. It did not come shrinkwrapped. (Thanks to Geoffrey Foreman for help with this info).

A 2nd Edition AD&D-compatible version of Ravenloft was also released in 1999; that module, entitled Ravenloft: 25th Anniversary, is listed on a separate page.

Yet what I have here is a 1st print predating the silver anniversary edition (either one). I have no idea which came first. Version #1 has the price of $6.00 in small font near the bottom right of the back cover; the ISBN is on the back underneath the item description and is large with a white background. Version #2 has no price, and the ISBN and product number are in tiny font underneath the item description on the back cover (no white background). Anyone know about this? It seems to contradict the Acaeum product info. I can send back cover scans to anyone interested. I'll post scans here if someone can walk me through getting a photobucket (or whoever) account set up.

Mike B.

It only took about a month, but here are the two back cover scans courtesy of photobucket.  

Ravenloft #1 No price on back (1st print?)

Ravenloft #2 Price on back (2nd print?)

I suppose now comes the part where we figure what print is first.  Any new ideas?

Mike  B.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:10 pm 

I'm sticking with my original guess. Price version is 2nd print.

I now have to get my hands on a new one because the copy I had was already on ebay when this thing got started.

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:37 pm 

I'll cast my vote for designating the verison with the price as the 2nd print. The copy I have has no price and, like bbarsh, this is my copy from back in the day, puchased soon after its release.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:49 pm 

bump

Next