How did you catch the bug?
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:33 am 

Deadlord36 wrote:I got into it because I felt it was better than squandering all my money on whores and crack cocaine. Sort of.
I was a slow collector up until eBay started (ah, the old x.com era). I picked up the lion's share of my stuff long before the prices went sky-high, thank God. I remember buying almost the entire run of TSR boxed sets like Castles, Greyhawk Wars etc. plus a crapload of other boxed sets, modules and magazines from a bookseller in Illinois for $300. After that I had to have it all.
Then I didn't. I determined that anything that was going to collect dust for the next 25 years was out the door. I'm much happier now that I have limited my focus.
Off topic, does anyone remember CougarRetard's name? I'm pretty sure it was him I bought Misty Isles, Infernax and Necromican from. Grand total of $100 shipped.

In years to come, we'll look back and think 'I remember when you could get an orange B3 for $1500, and OCE sets were $200 a pop!'

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:27 am 

I caught the bug on a visit to my aunt's at Cristmas in 1975 (or was it 1976?).  My oldest cousin (major_axe) was an avid wargamer and had come across D&D at the wargaming society in his school.  He DM'd a game for me and his brother and I was immediately hooked.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:44 am 

Collecting bug or D&D bug?

If the former...most recently.  Around 2003/2004, when a co-worker of my wife's bought The Underworld & Wilderness Adventures, Men & Magic and Supplement 1: Greyhawk at a library sale for a buck a piece and gave 'em to my wife.

Since then I have acquired a very small collection* and I doubt if it'll grow too much more as I'm primarily a gamer.

As to D&D, that's easy - around 1981 or so.

*I rounded out my 3-booklet set, have acquired another Supplement I: Greyhawk, and the rest of the supplements, plus Chainmail and Swords & Spells, a true-1st Dungeon Master's Guide and Monster Manual and a 1st-beta Player's Handbook and a copy of Tractics...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:21 pm 

I think that if you polled everyone here you would notice a pattern.  Most all of us started gaming in the early 80's or slightly earlier.  

Almost all of us gamed like mad in high school and then dropped our gaming when we went off to college.  (I started again three years into college.)

This corresponds almost exactly to the "Mid 80's Gaming Slump" that almost did in the industry.

Mark 8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:58 pm 

With responsibility comes a lack of game time. Now that we are all older and established, we have the time. Of course, now we just lack the players for the most part.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:10 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:With responsibility comes a lack of game time. Now that we are all older and established, we have the time. Of course, now we just lack the players for the most part.

So we breed them. :D

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:32 am 

Another theme seems to emerge.....

Active adult gamers seem to have one of two things:

a)  A wife who games  

or

b)  An ex-wife.

Mark    :cry:

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:11 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:
Deadlord36 wrote:With responsibility comes a lack of game time. Now that we are all older and established, we have the time. Of course, now we just lack the players for the most part.

So we breed them. :D

absolutely! jess is 15 and is well into RPG. she tries out all the games i get my hands on. my proudest moment so far is that she has gotten a group of friends in school to play 1e AD&D :D they were all playing 3e and didnt like it - she showed them one of my mods and told them about our games and they went for the bait like nothing you would believe!

am planning a game for them in the new year :D

cool or what eh? :)

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:12 am 

Deadlord36 wrote:I'm much happier now that I have limited my focus.

What is your focus now, out of curiosity Frank?

Off topic, does anyone remember CougarRetard's name? I'm pretty sure it was him I bought Misty Isles, Infernax and Necromican from. Grand total of $100 shipped.

His first name is David, but I'd have to dig for his surname, if you haven't got it yet.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:15 am 

MShipley88 wrote:I think that if you polled everyone here you would notice a pattern. Most all of us started gaming in the early 80's or slightly earlier.

Almost all of us gamed like mad in high school and then dropped our gaming when we went off to college. (I started again three years into college.)

Close:  I started D&D in grammar school, and gamed all the way through college; in grad school, when I got dumber, I decided that I wasn't going to play D&D any more and sold off my earliest stuff (mostly to Paul and Jason Zavoda) :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:01 pm 

I have to say it maybe due to novels for me..DragonLance trilogy infact. Before that I would buy stuff for the Known World/Mystara off and on plus some Ravenloft items I did not have at the time. I started collecting after reading the DL trilogy, aquired the Twins trilogy, read that, then began collecting the DL rpg products.
I was such a bad buyer in that I only bid so much, never sniped, and got so wound up waiting to win. From that others told me about Thieves Guild (first non TSR productions that I actually completed in collecting - barring not every possible print as it were though) Then things went from there..complete the select TSR series I had, collect all of the Judges Guild items (that was before I began trying for all printings), pick up this or that...though now it has slowed (do not need as much, and can wait on somethings)
Sad thing is now I do not have all the time to read everything..have to be selective..where as I used to read everything I got, before anything else would come available. That and my bookcase is not up to the challenge of holding everything.

ShaneG.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:28 pm 

I started playing in 1977/78 summer before high school. We played D&D of course, but also other games such as micro armor WWII tank battles, Star Fleet Battles and other games. So each of us kind of purchased things that interested us in particular with everyone in the group buying odd D&D things.

Therefore, I was not really collecting until a couple years later. And "collecting" might be over stating it. I bought stuff and tried to keep them in good condition...I was not really collecting.

It wasn't until around 83-84 that I started seriously buying TSR AD&D modules and putting together a collection. Not that I ever thought they would be worth anything, I just wanted all TSR modules. It wasn't a hard thing to accomplish as there just was not that much stuff and TSR's production schedule was reasonable. You could keep up easily. I think I bought all the modules I was missing at Gen Con 83 at auction for a couple dollars each in mint condition.

I also collected comic books up until mid-high school, so my collecting bug started with that. I actively played and collected until 2nd edition hit. I was in college and having a tough time working 50 hours a week and taking full time classes. Then I joined the Army and collecting stopped for many years 1987-98 or so. I discovered ebay and the Acaeum and started collecting again, with breaks here and there.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:50 pm 

I found a group with people all my own age or so.  We are all over thirty and some pushing forty but very focused and have a great time every Saturday night.

J

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Previous