How did you catch the bug?
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:15 pm 

I deffinately caught the D&D collecting bug when I won City of the Revenant. To throw in bids of $500+ out of the blue must seem crazy, but I just wanted to have a manuscripy very few people would have the chance to read. So that's where the collecting all started. What started you guys off?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:22 pm 

(back in '77 ;))

*g*. Longer than I can remember to pinpoint for sure, anyhow...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:24 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:I deffinately caught the D&D collecting bug when I won City of the Revenant. To throw in bids of $500+ out of the blue must seem crazy, but I just wanted to have a manuscripy very few people would have the chance to read. So that's where the collecting all started. What started you guys off?

Simple as finding EBay almost 7 years ago. I heard about it and decided to check it out. I found a few old C64 games that I had either always wanted and never bought, and I was also looking to replace some of those ones that I did have that no longer worked. Then 1 day I figured, what the hell, I always loved D&D as a kid still had most of my stuff, so I figured "Well lets see if I can find anything". 8O  Needless to say I found stuff alright, and started buying up all kinds of stuff which I did during the Winter months of both 1999 & 2000. I ended up taking a 3 year "leave of absence" per se, due to a very serious and negative life changing event. I ended up taking it back up in the winter of 2004. From there, my final leap into the abyss was back in last December, when I finally decided to join the forum of this site...............

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:06 pm 

Back in the day, I remember trying to track down old issues of The Dragon in order to get items from the indicies published in TD 40 and 76, so that I could get more good Greyhawkness :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:18 pm 

Trying to fill the voids in my BECMI collection. :)

There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:18 pm 

Christmas, 1982-83?

I had played for a few months before this, but I got bit because of a present...

My mom got me B4 (Lost City). That picture on the front cover captured my imagination. "What is happening here?", I thought. These guys in cool armor were packing sacks full of gold and gems and they got busted by some weird religious freak in a mask and his crazy followers. Fight time!

My family would buy me mods and books that I already had, so I would trade them with other people for things I didn't have. It was fun. I have 3 or 4 Fiend Folios even now.

Threw some stuff out once. Had some stuff stolen (twice). Had a few things thrown out on me. Stopped playing for a few years (forgive me, my bretheren, for I have sinned).

I still have almost all my dice. Even those fugly orange ones that came in my basic set.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:09 am 

i started collecting things for D&D back in late 1980, when we started playing. i bought steadily down the years until i got divorced in 2000, when i had to sell everything, escept my character sheets, dice and my players handbook (absolutely mullered but loved all the same) - just in case a game came along :)

i started collecting again about 2 years ago, its gotta more serious at it in the last years. i got back into it because my daughter expressed an interest in playing the game.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:48 am 

killjoy32 wrote:i started collecting things for D&D back in late 1980, when we started playing. i bought steadily down the years until i got divorced in 2000, when i had to sell everything, escept my character sheets, dice and my players handbook (absolutely mullered but loved all the same) - just in case a game came along :)

Al

Boy, you guys don't know how much I owe bad relationships for the success of my reselling business the last 12 years  :twisted:   I bought my first real large buy, a collection of Dragon Magazines #1-#100, from a guy who needed money after his wife cleaned him out in a divorce.  

My collecting bug hit me the moment I signed on to AOL the first time back in 1992 (back then you had to pay PER MINUTE, ah yes the memories).  Up until then I bought one of each item TSR published for every one of it's game systems (D&D and Star Frontiers, Top Secret, Gangbusters, Gamma World, everything) plus their house magazines, but didn't collect anything else except the ocassional Judge's Guild or Mayfair item.  At that time I really didn't have a thought about the "big picture" in terms of rares, or the fact that the R-series items I had were worth anything, or that anyone else out there held onto this type of stuff after they used it much less collected it.

I got online mostly to check out the TSR site there, but soon drifted to the (then free) AOL Buy/Sell/Trade RPG marketplace boards.  I had purchased Heroic Worlds and was fascinated by reading about all these game systems, modules and such that I had never seen or heard of (Dallas was not then and is not now a real Mecca for games collecting, tons of stuff never even made it down here for sale in the 70's and 80's) and had no expectation of ever finding.  Lo and behold, guys on this AOL marketplace were selling stuff like Judge's Guild, Companions, Thieves' Guild, Middle Earth, etc.  Suffice to say that was the beginning of the end for my disposable income the next 10 years or so.  :cry:  What was great was finally plugging into this huge geographically separated group with one thing in common, love of FRP and especially D&D, and finally acquiring a lot of until that time unseen and unknown items that I never knew existed.

Soon migrated over the the FRP marketplace online and proceded to finish off my TSR collection and then moved on to getting all other interesting game systems like Warhammer, MERP, JG, and more obscure items.  Downhill from there when Ebay came into the picture...

Mike B.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:04 am 

What bug?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:06 am 

grodog wrote:Back in the day, I remember trying to track down old issues of The Dragon in order to get items from the indicies published in TD 40 and 76, so that I could get more good Greyhawkness :D

Isn't the official term Greyhawk goodness?  For me would happened in the early 90s, after visiting one of the coolest RPG shops in germany which was in my home city: the "Trivial Book shop". It was in the back of a their comics store and you had to walk through a long corridor just to emerge at this great backroom full of good stuff. A bit later I discovered ebay.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:25 am 

Technically I started collecting in '81 (I think) when I friend of mine in 5th grade introduced me to two of my best loves: D&D and comic books.  In the same day I played my first adventure (Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh) and read my first issue of X-Men (#175).

I remember getting the Players Handbook and Monster Manual for Xmas that year.  I bought my first module (C2) and rulebook (Fiend Folio) the next year.  I picked up a number of items over the next several years until college when I stopped playing.  It wasnt until I started using Ebay in 1999 that I really ramped up my collecting.  And I do it all because I have a need to get everything I always wanted when I was a kid.

I have noticed that most of the items I collect I owe my interest to a movie I saw or a book I read such as:

Dungeons and Dragons, MERP = The Hobbit, LOTR, Conan the Barbarian.

Shadowrun = Blade Runner, Neuromancer.

Traveller = Battlestar Galactica ('77 version; though I like the new one).

Aftermath/TW 2000/Morrow Project = Escape From NY, Deathlands series.

Hopefully when I do get married in the next year, I wont ever have to worry about getting divorced and selling my collection.  If you want my OCE Mike you will have to pry it out of my cold, dead fingers.  :twisted:

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:23 am 

Howdy,

I started collecting in 1995. Before that, I just picked stuff up to play. I blame the Dragon's Trove and Mike Cox. Lou Zocchi didn't help either.

I decided to start using miniatures in 1999. I had 10-15 in 1998, now I have over 5,677*!

*Representing 54% of all monster species and sub-species found in the Monster Manual, Monster Manual II, and Fiend Folio. There are 1012 different types that can be represented by miniatures and I have found miniatures for 542 of them.

Futures bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:46 pm 

Strangely, it was trying 3.5e after many years away from the game.  It got me nostalgic for old long-gone books and modules, so I started reconstructing my original collection...and now I can't stop....

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:30 pm 

I played as a kid and then left it alone til I was thirty! Nostalgia kicked in HARD! For the last two years it has been a blast finding all this old good stuff and new things I never had a clue were out there.....plus the conversation here is second to none..... :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:35 pm 

yeah. i always think, "right i've now collected enough, i dont really need any more." then i spot something and think "oh i just have to have that", or someone will put up something interesting and then off we go again :)

doubtful it will end but its good fun and its nice to have a hobby :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:53 pm 

I re-started playing about 6-7 years ago and thought wouldn't it be cool to have the stuff I always wanted as a kid :)

Little did I know what this simple collecting habit would turn into. 8O

It is fun though, most of the stuff is inexpensive and it is fun trying to track down stuff from used book stores, old game shops, Ebay etc.

Problem is there is not really  great deal of stuff to own, I find now I am almost complete!  Now what :?

Later

J

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:07 am 

I got into collecting by chance.  I was up late one night this past January and I decided to Google "Doomguard" on a whim.

I followed a few links and got an email from the current Arduin publishers that gave me the sad news that David Hargrave was dead...and had been for some years.

I clicked on a few related links and landed on Necromancer Games and their Judges Guild site.  Dang...I always liked those Judges Guild modules I could never afford!

I decided to look into buying  Dark Tower (which was out of stock at GenCon 2001...apparently I was talking to Lou Zocchi?) I emailed Paul Jaquays.  He suggested that I look on EBay.

I got a bit more interested when I encountered DrivethruRPG.com.  The pdf version of Dark Tower got me hungry to buy more.

I was looking for sources outside of Ebay when I found Afterglow.

Information on Afterglow led me to searches that revealed The Acaeum.

I decided that .99 was not too much to bid on a copy of Modron.  JOINK!  The hook was in my mouth.

Mark    :lol:

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:20 am 

I got into it because I felt it was better than squandering all my money on whores and crack cocaine. Sort of.
I was a slow collector up until eBay started (ah, the old x.com era). I picked up the lion's share of my stuff long before the prices went sky-high, thank God. I remember buying almost the entire run of TSR boxed sets like Castles, Greyhawk Wars etc. plus a crapload of other boxed sets, modules and magazines from a bookseller in Illinois for $300. After that I had to have it all.
Then I didn't. I determined that anything that was going to collect dust for the next 25 years was out the door. I'm much happier now that I have limited my focus.
Off topic, does anyone remember CougarRetard's name? I'm pretty sure it was him I bought Misty Isles, Infernax and Necromican from. Grand total of $100 shipped.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Next