Bottom Twenty Adventures of All Time
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:27 am 

killjoy32 wrote:
beyondthebreach wrote:I know I selected the Dragonlance modules, but all BECMI modules pretty much suck. So do the rules.

Even 3rd edition is better . . .

:!:

ducks

sorry i have to disagree! B1 is class, B2 and B4 are great! i like C1 and C5 i like too. pretty much suck indeed :)

*attacks BTB with his +3 spoon*

Wait, BECMI = Basic, Expert, Companion, Master & Immortals.

Not the C series modules.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:33 am 

oh well i will let you off then :D

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:47 am 

B2 gets a free pass as it seems to have sentimental value to everyone - myself included.

But, sentiment aside . . . it is really a crappy module that makes no "logical" sense.  Just basically a bunch of caves - some with weak monsters, some with medium strength and some that are harder.  

Kinda like an outdoor version of the Dungeon Boardgame.  Keep your Hero and Elf to the Kitchen, Guard Room and Armory and let the Wizard & Superhero venture to the Wizard's Treasure  Room, King's Library and Torture Chamber.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:23 pm 

beyondthebreach wrote:B2 gets a free pass as it seems to have sentimental value to everyone - myself included.

But, sentiment aside . . . it is really a crappy module that makes no "logical" sense. Just basically a bunch of caves - some with weak monsters, some with medium strength and some that are harder.

Kinda like an outdoor version of the Dungeon Boardgame. Keep your Hero and Elf to the Kitchen, Guard Room and Armory and let the Wizard & Superhero venture to the Wizard's Treasure Room, King's Library and Torture Chamber.

The way I've always run B2, I tried to make sense of it and make it a bit more logical because you are right the way written it is close to being a Monster Hotel.  I always have a mage with the evil priests with Charm Monster spells, I say he has charmed all the monster leaders and told them not to attack or interfere with each of the other clans.  His will is enforced by the Minotaur who the mage sends to kick the ass of anyone not obeying his will.  I haven't ran this in almost 20 years so I don't know what I would do with it now, you are right nostalgia value probably saves this from the dumpster heap.

Mike B.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:23 pm 

"B2 gets a free pass as it seems to have sentimental value to everyone - myself included.

But, sentiment aside . . . it is really a crappy module that makes no "logical" sense.  Just basically a bunch of caves - some with weak monsters, some with medium strength and some that are harder.   "

8O  8O  8O  8O  8O  8O  8O  8O  8O  8O  8O  8O  8O  8O  8O  8O  8O  

BLASPHEMER!!!!

Yeah- good point (as he takes off the robe, surplice, cowboy hat and buttless chaps of Grand Inquisitor...)- but is still a fun adventure that I wouldn't classify in the lower depths of railroad hell.....

20 stinkiest mods ever:

20. I11 Needle: Blecch.

19. MV1: Where the hell is the damn viewer?!

18. I9: Day of Al'Akbar-Totally misleading cover.

17. B1-9: No Keep? Da Hell?

16. UK1: Just not that great....

15. H4: Dumb.

14. H2: Not so dumb, just not fun.

13. EX1: Stupid. Got killed by the Cheshire Cat.

12. EX2: Humiliating. Got killed by Humpty Dumpty!

11. B6: Oh boy, masons.....

10. CM4: Earthshaker! Yes, there was one hell of a loud thud and rumble across the land when this giant turd was laid....

9. S3: The karate robot/ love machine....

8. L3: Deep Dwarven Delve...Tolkien is face down in his box....

7. O1: Gem and the Staff: I was that troll's bitch every damn time!

6. Xsolo1: Lathan's Gold: Arrh, mateys, tis' Davey Jones locker for this...

5. OA1-x: unplayable.

4. FRE1-x. unplayable.

3. IM1-3. unplayable.

2. m1-5. unplayable.

1. Ta-daa! Not an original choice, but c'mon, the ONLY choice...DL1-16 and all the crap it spawned later....I plowed through the whole damn series hoping against hope for the oft-hinted at Tika/Laurana XXX girl-on-girl action...no such luck :cry: at least there never was a movie, although casting wise Brigitte Neilsen as Caramon and Gary Coleman as Raistlin might be just what the Doc ordered to rejuvenate their sagging careers....

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:34 pm 

RWilson wrote:
1. Ta-daa! Not an original choice, but c'mon, the ONLY choice...DL1-16 and all the crap it spawned later....I plowed through the whole damn series hoping against hope for the oft-hinted at Tika/Laurana XXX girl-on-girl action...no such luck :cry: at least there never was a movie, although casting wise Brigitte Neilsen as Caramon and Gary Coleman as Raistlin might be just what the Doc ordered to rejuvenate their sagging careers....

The Tika/Laurana "please soap my back in the waterfall while we are both nude, oops look where my hand slipped to, oh my I'm suddenly feeling very warm, let's make out" scene was beautifully illustrated in six continuous pages by Elmore in the banned "orange" version of DL17, which was pulled and pulped when Hickman and Weis found out what was going on....only 72 copies are rumored to exist, Larry Elmore is reportedly sitting on a case of these to finance his retirement someday.  Keep looking.... :twisted:

Mike B.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:59 pm 

Badmike wrote:The Tika/Laurana "please soap my back in the waterfall while we are both nude, oops look where my hand slipped to, oh my I'm suddenly feeling very warm, let's make out" scene was beautifully illustrated in six continuous pages by Elmore in the banned "orange" version of DL17, which was pulled and pulped when Hickman and Weis found out what was going on....only 72 copies are rumored to exist, Larry Elmore is reportedly sitting on a case of these to finance his retirement someday. Keep looking.... :twisted:

:lol:

So Frank Mentzer was only telling us half the story, then?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:10 pm 

harami2000 wrote:
Badmike wrote:The Tika/Laurana "please soap my back in the waterfall while we are both nude, oops look where my hand slipped to, oh my I'm suddenly feeling very warm, let's make out" scene was beautifully illustrated in six continuous pages by Elmore in the banned "orange" version of DL17, which was pulled and pulped when Hickman and Weis found out what was going on....only 72 copies are rumored to exist, Larry Elmore is reportedly sitting on a case of these to finance his retirement someday. Keep looking.... :twisted:

hehehe sounds like a fun item to get hold of someday :)

sorry but i DID like the dungeon in DL1 and DL4 for me was pretty good - that mod worked out for me cos i pretty much ignored all the books prodding of "you need to do this and that etc" and the mod panned out just fine.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:19 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
harami2000 wrote:

hehehe sounds like a fun item to get hold of someday :)

sorry but i DID like the dungeon in DL1 and DL4 for me was pretty good - that mod worked out for me cos i pretty much ignored all the books prodding of "you need to do this and that etc" and the mod panned out just fine.

Al

Coincidentally Al these are the two I used (DL1 and DL4) for unrelated dungeon adventures not connected to Dragonlance, they worked well in that case.  My listing of these on the list was more for the series as a whole and the way it tried to slap the plot handcuffs and turn everything in a redo of the original trilogy.

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:21 pm 

Badmike wrote:
Coincidentally Al these are the two I used (DL1 and DL4) for unrelated dungeon adventures not connected to Dragonlance, they worked well in that case. My listing of these on the list was more for the series as a whole and the way it tried to slap the plot handcuffs and turn everything in a redo of the original trilogy.

Mike B.

yeah thats it. generally, the series sucked eggs really bad. thats why i like JG. its raw, basic and i can mould it how i like. thats why i hated DL. but throughout the series, there are some pretty cool parts....shame they get lost within the waste-of-space that was dragonlance.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:27 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
Badmike wrote:
Coincidentally Al these are the two I used (DL1 and DL4) for unrelated dungeon adventures not connected to Dragonlance, they worked well in that case. My listing of these on the list was more for the series as a whole and the way it tried to slap the plot handcuffs and turn everything in a redo of the original trilogy.

Mike B.

yeah thats it. generally, the series sucked eggs really bad. thats why i like JG. its raw, basic and i can mould it how i like. thats why i hated DL. but throughout the series, there are some pretty cool parts....shame they get lost within the waste-of-space that was dragonlance.

Al

Also I forgot the number but one of the DL series has one of the coolest castle maps ever published in a TSR product  (I believe it's the High Clerists Tower).  I do believe I used the castle map once and just made up all my own room descriptions for some adventure or another.

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:02 pm 

Badmike wrote:
Also I forgot the number but one of the DL series has one of the coolest castle maps ever published in a TSR product (I believe it's the High Clerists Tower). I do believe I used the castle map once and just made up all my own room descriptions for some adventure or another.

Mike B.

isnt that about DL8? its the one with the big battle going on at the same time isnt it? i seem to remember that one from many moons back, but yeah i agree, it was a cool as f*ck map.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Previous