Bottom Twenty Adventures of All Time
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:37 am 

Ok, so we went over the Dungeon mags list of 30 greatest adventures of all time....posted our own lists in the 20 Greatest adventures of all time...now it's time to scrape the bottom of the barrell, that nasty green gunk at the corner of the dumpster in back of the Lubys. Yep, give a list of your absolute worst adventures you either DM'd or played, with a short reason why. Bad writing, terrible plotline, silly monsters, horrible artwork, mindbogglingly boring adventure, any of these will do. Unfortunately I own pretty much every TSR RPG product and most other companies as well, so I've read a lot of crap in my time. Here is my list, I'll include explanations in a later post, it's too damn late:

1. Under the Storm Giant's Castle (JG)

2. Sword of Ulission (JG)

3. UK1 Beyond the Crystal Cave

4. FRE1-3

5. Marco Volo trilogy

6. Any Dragonlance

7. WG10 Child's Play

8. WG7 Castle Greyhawk

9. EX1 & 2

10. WGA4 Vecna Lives

11. B8 Journey to the Rock

12. M1 & M2 Solos

13. Glory Hole Dwarven Mine (JG)

14. Any City State adventure from Mayfair Games

15. C2 Ghost Tower

16. Fez I-VI (Mayfair)

17. N3 Destiny of Kings

18. RS1 Red Sonja Unconquered

19. Temple of Ra Accursed by Set (JG)

20. WG11 Puppets

21. Pick your favorite 3rd edition module

22. Fluffy Quest (?)

Mike B.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:16 am 

DL1-14,

DLA1-3

DLQ1-2

Etc.

I think my explanation is pretty clear.  Featherlance sucks.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:24 am 

beyondthebreach wrote:DL1-14,

DLA1-3

DLQ1-2

Etc.

I think my explanation is pretty clear. Featherlance sucks.

havent really got the time to compose a list right now, but i have to say, at LEAST 15 of the 20 would involve dragonlance stuff. that stuff had such promise and they ruined everything.

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:54 am 

Agreed, Dragondunce sux almost as bad as 3E. It's almost Hollywoodish, seems every few modules they threw in the "cute" character(s) like gully dwarves, and that kender guy, Hasslehoff or some such. Then the inevitable doomed love affairs, Raistlin/Darth Vader, Sturm not-so-Brightblade, the list goes on.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:21 am 

Deadlord36 wrote:Agreed, Dragondunce sux almost as bad as 3E. It's almost Hollywoodish, seems every few modules they threw in the "cute" character(s) like gully dwarves, and that kender guy, Hasslehoff or some such. Then the inevitable doomed love affairs, Raistlin/Darth Vader, Sturm not-so-Brightblade, the list goes on.

saying that, looking back through the mods, there were some cool little bits in there too. not enough to salvage them mind, but still....

i quite liked the battlesystem war outside palanthas (was that DL8?), and south of tarsis wasnt too bad either.... parts of DL 4 i quite liked and the dungeon in DL1 was pretty cool, but sadlt it was overshadowed by all the rest. i like my mods pretty loosely written so i can mould them to suit the way i DM, but these "force" you into scenarios etc. i do NOT like that.

what a waste of bloody good material.

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:46 am 

What about Spelljammer?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:17 am 

All of the Masters, Companions, and Immortals stuff.

and Isle of Dread

Fluffy Quest rocks, Mike!!! That was a Gen Con classic for many years. Perhaps the most often played convention adventure of all time.

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:33 am 

Adam Shultz wrote:.

and Isle of Dread

Dammit I love X1. :o  How about The Lost Island of Castanamir or the Conan modules?  I dont own one, but I have heard lots of  bad comments about ST1. :P  

I do agree to a certain extent about the CM,M,IM modules only becasue they are just way too overpowered. I do like the settings of particularly CM1 & CM3, but they border on 3.x with everything being supersized.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:48 am 

bclarkie wrote:

and Isle of Dread
Dammit I love X1. :o How about The Lost Island of Castanamir or the Conan modules? I dont own one, but I have heard lots of bad comments about ST1. :P

I have sensory overload concerning x1. It is like eating way too much cake and vomiting all night long. They lay around my house like unwanted pennies.

I never cared for the conan stuff either. ST1 is cool to a degree. It probably has more to do with rarity. It doesn't make my best or worst list.

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:06 pm 

wga1 - wga3 ...... yawn.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:10 pm 

Isle of Dread, anything Dragonlance, and, dare I say it, Palace of the Silver Princess.  I mean bubbles?  Give me a break...

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:18 pm 

afoolandhis$ wrote:dare I say it, Palace of the Silver Princess. I mean bubbles? Give me a break...

Hang on whilst I de-shrink my copy to check the stats on those... Image

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:21 pm 

harami2000 wrote:
afoolandhis$ wrote:dare I say it, Palace of the Silver Princess. I mean bubbles? Give me a break...

Hang on whilst I de-shrink my copy to check the stats on those... [ Image ]

:lol:

It worked with mine!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:03 pm 

Badmike wrote:Ok, so we went over the Dungeon mags list of 30 greatest adventures of all time....posted our own lists in the 20 Greatest adventures of all time...now it's time to scrape the bottom of the barrell, that nasty green gunk at the corner of the dumpster in back of the Lubys. Yep, give a list of your absolute worst adventures you either DM'd or played, with a short reason why. Bad writing, terrible plotline, silly monsters, horrible artwork, mindbogglingly boring adventure, any of these will do. Unfortunately I own pretty much every TSR RPG product and most other companies as well, so I've read a lot of crap in my time. Here is my list, I'll include explanations in a later post, it's too damn late:

1. Under the Storm Giant's Castle (JG)

2. Sword of Ulission (JG)

3. UK1 Beyond the Crystal Cave

4. FRE1-3

5. Marco Volo trilogy

6. Any Dragonlance

7. WG10 Child's Play

8. WG7 Castle Greyhawk

9. EX1 & 2

10. WGA4 Vecna Lives

11. B8 Journey to the Rock

12. M1 & M2 Solos

13. Glory Hole Dwarven Mine (JG)

14. Any City State adventure from Mayfair Games

15. C2 Ghost Tower

16. Fez I-VI (Mayfair)

17. N3 Destiny of Kings

18. RS1 Red Sonja Unconquered

19. Temple of Ra Accursed by Set (JG)

20. WG11 Puppets

21. Pick your favorite 3rd edition module

22. Fluffy Quest (?)

Mike B.

Here's a bit of explanation:

1.  Under Storm Giant's Castle:  Not only a bad adventure, but possibly the worst monsters in the history of any gaming product.  The nadir has the be the balloon men...yes, men made of plastic that are actually ballons and can be popped with sharp objects.  The rest of the adventure shows the same lack of logic (I know, logic in a fantasy game, but even I have my limits) and generally makes no sense even in a fantasy context.

2.  Sword of Ulisson:  "Oh, by the way, the entire adventure was a DREAM!"  Wouldn't you just KILL a DM that tried to pull that kind of crap on you? Flashback to Bobby in the shower on Dallas....

3.  UK1: The mission is to find a couple of star crossed Romeo and Juliet lovers that have disappeared into a magical cave.  You follow them...into the dullest, most boring fantasy locale this side of your actual backyard.  Unless you consider absolutely no conflict, no fighting, and no monsters interesting, stay away from this.  I actually picture groups gettingso frustrated by their meetings with the pixies, bears, centaurs, leprechauns and other sylvan creatures in the garden and going beserk, killing everything in sight. Not the stuff heroic songs are sung about...

4.  FRE1-3:  I really hate stuff that is based on a novel and that requires your characters to follow a strictly enforced path so that you have the exact same result as the actions in the novels (see Dragonlance); this trilogy is based on the actual novel Avatar trilogy and there is pretty much no independent action allowed except following exactly in the steps of the original party, and any attempts at originality are foiled (and the modules go into great detail on how to crush any players doing so).

5.  Marco Volo:  Dumb, boring and attempts to hammer your characters into plot handcuffs every step of the dumb, boring way.

6.  Any Dragonlance:  Actually, this is a grade for every single Dragonlance product because of the way it expects you to act out exactly the same thing that happens in the novel series. Now, I will say that I have used a couple of these completely independent of the series (DL1 and DL4) and they work just fine if you take them completely out of the Krynn milieu and shape them for your own campaign world.  But played as is, I don't know anyone that I have ever met in my life that went through that agony.  I would shoot myself by the 3rd module.

7. WG10 Child's Play: This has to be a milestone, the only Greyhawk module  that has nothing to do with Greyhawk, it takes place in a made up kingdom.  So why not just release this independently instead of defiling and besmirching the great Campaign world of Greyhawk.  Plus, even taken on it's own merits, it sucks.

8.  WG7 Castle Greyhawk:  Not funny, kids.  Not to mention how many people bought this the day it came out thinking it was THE Castle Greyhawk of Gary Gygax fame (raises hand) and got home to tear off the shrink and read this absolute pile of excrement?  If I want to play something whimsical and funny, I'll get out Toon or Paranoia.  Anytime TSR tried to "entertain" me with humor, it was a dismal failure.  A pile of crap.

9.  EX1 & EX2 :  See above.  You'll probably notice I don't like whimsical, I don't game whimsical, and once againg I'll pull out the Toon and Paranoia if I want cheap giggles.  Of all the great stuff in the original Castle Greyhawk ruins levels, and Gary had to publish THIS mess?

10.  WGA4 Vecna Lives: From the completely ridiculous and idiotic beginning (The Circle of Eight is destroyed by one fucking lich?) this module meanders around and around and doesn't really accomplish anything except for dropping some famous names and wandering around in circles, in the end it doesn't really matter much what the characters  do anyway.  Part of the disappointment is that it could have been such a cool concept in the correct hands.

11. Journey to the Rock: Journey to my COCK would have been more interesting and exciting.

12. M1 & M2 solos: Once you played them, they were useless, and you better play them quick because the pens dried out immediately and the wording faded after a few weeks.  Useless after a month, with no replay value at all.

13.  Glory Hole Dwarven Mind:  About six levels of a dwarven mine with absolutely nothing in it until the bottom level.  I'm not kidding.

14.  Mayfair City State:  A death penalty on whoever though up this desecration to the great original Judge's Guild City State.  Not one single night of adventure in all six box sets put together.

15. C2 Ghost Tower: I have an aversion to Monster Hotels sitting in the middle of nowhere full of tricks, traps and puzzles (aka tournament adventures showing their rootsmuch too closely).  I never ran this for a group that liked it, but then again I only ran it twice because I didn't like it either.

16. Fez series: Did I say I don't do whimsical? Whatever gave the fellows who created these the idea we wanted six of these?

17.  N3 Destiny of Kings: I believe this may be the only 1st or 2nd edition adventue that features no monsters.  I think this was written for Harn by the author and switched to AD&D at the last minute when the deal fell through.  There is absolutely nothing to disinguish this mess except for it's lack of fantastical elements, nothing you or I couldn't have created in the 6th grade between classes without a Monster Manual handy to use as a reference.

18. RS1 Red Sonja: Just what we always wanted to do, game through a module as a chick.  Talk about awakening some poor kids gender bending tendencies.

19. Temple of Ra: So bad I noticed in Heroic Worlds even Lawrence Shick, who has a kind word for everything, calls it "terrible" in the description. And he's right. There are a lot of JG modules that could make the list but the ones that did are even worse than the average.  

20. WG11 Puppets: Yah! Let's fight some Leprechauns!!!  And Puppets!  Fuck that.

21. 3rd edition: Ok I'm being glib here, I've read a couple I liked and a couple I've thought about converting to 3rd edition.  But so much of the early 3rd edition stuff, put out quickly for a fast buck, is just absolute poop.  From what I understand from my 3E loving friends, the early stuff by the now defunct publishing companies doesn't even get the stats right...if you can't bother to read the rules before you publish something, do you really expect it not to hit a list of worst modules of all time? And add some TSR offerings to this list. I read Forge of Fury and Standing Stone and though "Ok, these don't suck".  Then I got to the higher level stuff and was like to puke.  Creatures with 1000 hit points remind me of the really bad IM Immortals series for basic D&D, only these were worse because presumably they were written by grownups for grownups.

22. Fluffy Quest:  I've said it before, I don't like whimsical.  Don't mix puns and silly humor into my serious gaming. That being said, Rick Reid may be the most talented writer in the universe, but there is no evidence in  his many "Fluffy" adventures that rely on puns, bad names and goofy sequences to carry the day.  I would never attempt to run one of these; If I did, I am certain my group would punish me with death.  AFter reading several Fluffy adventures, death is preferable.  I picked Fluffy Quest but really any of the Reid "humor" filled adventures could fit the bill.  

Coming soon:  23-30...look out Spelljammer!

Mike B.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:47 am 

bclarkie wrote:

and Isle of Dread

I do agree to a certain extent about the CM,M,IM modules only becasue they are just way too overpowered. I do like the settings of particularly CM1 & CM3, but they border on 3.x with everything being supersized.

Well I don't agree, and I will tell you why.

Yes, the adventures are high-powered, but they are not over-powered. Providing a challenge to 25th level characters requires some serious opposition, and some people prefer to continue developing their characters instead of retiring them at 15th level and starting over.

CM1 - Awesome setting as you mentioned, and provides the same challenge of carving out a realm from the hostile north as the H1-4 series. Only this module provides suitable rewards for the risks involved. None of this "Oh, you want to keep your land? Then you have to travel to the abyss and slay Orcus!"  Thanks, but no thanks. Also provides an opportunity for players to switch sides, or fight each other.

CM2 - This module does have flaws, but it has the players defend against a siege by an army of undead. If you use the barony as part of the Norworld setting before and after this adventure, you get more value from this one.

CM3 - Very cool twist for an NPC, and the concept of the sabreclaws is a good idea for using elsewhere to challenge high level PCs.

CM4 - Ok, the Earthshaker is over the top. But study the module and you will find that you now have everything you need to run the plotline of Die Hard, but in a golem the size of a mountain as your realm is being torn apart.

CM5 - I concede on this module, it wasn't good.

CM6 - How many of the top 30 modules of all time can boast having their villain and plot ripped off to form the basis of a movie which grossed $112 million worldwide? That's right, this one has all of them beat in this category, the module came first, the movie came later.

CM7 - Lots of elven goodness and mass battles, with the background utilized in the Gazeteer series.

CM8 - Yeah, this one is only ok. It looks like an AD&D module that got converted to D&D at the last minute.

CM9 - Intrigue, a mysterious fen, and some very well-detailed bad guys.

M1 - You get to play out the Odyssey in space with your very own naval armada, what is not to like?

M2 - This is basically CM1 revisited, but with sea battles, still very good.

M3 - Admittedly hit and miss encounters on different planes, but some good ideas here, and the Carnifex was an idea that inspired many fan creations.

M4 - Average.

M5 - Dead Gods made the top thirty, but Dead Gods is two adventures, and when people rate it highly, they are really rating the main adventure, which is very good, and forgetting the secondary adventure, which is forgettable. Well, the really good adventure in Dead Gods was INSPIRED by M5, many of the best elements from Dead Gods can be found in this adventure as well. Oh, and it has a simple elegant rule that makes a swarm of low level bad guys a threat to high-level PCs again, without resorting to clunky grappling rules.

IM1-3 The Immortals set was a different game, but it was an interesting and unique effort that was far better than the pathetic 3E equivalent.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:48 am 

Badmike wrote:
Badmike wrote:
11. Journey to the Rock: Journey to my COCK would have been more interesting and exciting.

20. WG11 Puppets: Yah! Let's fight some Leprechauns!!! And Puppets! Fuck that.

Tell us how you really feel Mike!  And I for one would like to state a big "I DONT THINK SO" on number 11.  8O

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:18 am 

I know I selected the Dragonlance modules, but all BECMI modules pretty much suck.  So do the rules.  

Even 3rd edition is better . . .

:!:

ducks

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:16 am 

beyondthebreach wrote:I know I selected the Dragonlance modules, but all BECMI modules pretty much suck. So do the rules.

Even 3rd edition is better . . .

:!:

ducks

sorry i have to disagree! B1 is class, B2 and B4 are great! i like C1 and C5 i like too. pretty much suck indeed :)

*attacks BTB with his +3 spoon*

Are we nearly there yet?

Next