Poll: Your opinion of 3rd Eechdition

3E is good. 48%       48%  [ 20 ]
3E is decent, about as good as 1E. 2%       2%  [ 1 ]
3E bites, down with WotC. 50%       50%  [ 21 ]
Total votes : 42

Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:50 am 

OK, let's see which side of the scale gets more weight.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:50 am 

Deadlord36 wrote:OK, let's see which side of the scale gets more weight.

I think it's obvious, so I question the validity of the poll. ;)  I'll have to abstain on this one.  Besides, we have bigger poll issues up here in Canada right now.   :roll:

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:06 am 

3E rocks!!

3E rocks!!

3E rocks!!

3E rocks!!

Yah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:15 am 

Friends don't let friends play 3E.  :twisted:

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:37 am 

So

OD&D is like Ale (sorry don't care for beer) A staple always there and good for a fix.

1st Ed AD&D is like Wine. Gets better with age, but collecting the best stuff costs money.

2nd Ed AD&D is like Vodka. Straight up its bad, mixed with something else it works.

3.xD&D is like a wine cooler, for some it works but for others it just seems fruity.

ShaneG. (oh and I voted for 3e..yeah I admit it. My name is Shane and I'm a 3rd edition addict)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:47 pm 

I went with 3E is decent as it seems to be okay - don't know if I'd say it was as good as 1E, but it has some positive points.

Not that I will ever get a chance to play D&D in the near future, but I can see it's lure.  It was hard enough keeping a sustained campaign going back in the day - we started getting jobs, other social draws, college, moving, etc.

At least with 3E you can make some quick character progression before things falls apart . . . I can't tell you how many campaigns I was in where characters never made it beyond 4th or 5th level . . . and then the campaign just died . . .

Of course, if I was DMing there would be some heavy rule modifications, but I think a balance between d20 and 1E could be found.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:52 pm 

I went for 3E bites. Its worse than that.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:14 pm 

The input is appreciated, guys.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:18 pm 

If I were to pick a single rpg to play today, it would NOT be 3e.

20 years ago, hands down 1e.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:14 pm 

bbarsh wrote:If I were to pick a single rpg to play today, it would NOT be 3e.

20 years ago, hands down 1e.

20 years ago, Rolemaster, phps. 25 years ago, 1e. JMO ;)

(And in later years the former did exactly the same with regards rulesbook "splurge" even if it never did turn into a video game.

Back in 1985 it had pretty much the right balance of detail and workable game mechanics for my purposes).

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:17 pm 

i went with bites. sorry 3E guys - dont mean any offence. tried it, read some of it and just plain dont like it.

i think that fiendish and dire thing last night finally did it for me  :?

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:22 pm 

I have never actually tried to play 3e, but I have tried to read through a few of the books and they just dont do anything for me. There are just way way to many statistics and rules for me.  It reminds me a lot of reading a Prob/Stat text book. Just very boring. :?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:24 pm 

Yeah, 3E bites.  And it's synonymous with WoTC.  Amazing what those people have done to the game.  In fact, I think we should start a telephone campaign to express our displeasure.  Nah, on second thought, that would probably just encourage them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:02 pm 

Wow, the nays have it. OK, I feel vindicated!

I don't want to give the wrong impression, there's nothing wrong with 3e. It's just that.....well......it sucks.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:05 pm 

Nay to that..I say again sir..NAY :P

ShaneG.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:23 pm 

I'll be honest and say I do like 3rd Ed. I don't feel guilty for saying this at all. A set of rules is just a set of rules. A good GM and a good group of players is the key to good roleplaying and not the rule book, the way it's presented or, indeed, the rules themslves.

Most of the folks here that post are 30+ and in the same way we're probably not listening to the same music at 14 - 18 years old that 14 -18 year olds are currently listening to doesn't give us the right to demean their choice in that. The world moves and I've had to accept that The Clash simply aren't a punk band of choice any more and nor is 1st Ed Ad'n'd a system of choice for younger players.

I'm glad the hobby still survives in an any form given that there's now 24/7 roleplaying online. At least the younger generation are still playing in some form or other. Things could be alot worse in all honesty...

Sorry if this post seems antagonistic but "The King is dead, long live the King" to some extent...

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:41 pm 

Lewisexi wrote:Most of the folks here that post are 30+ and in the same way we're probably not listening to the same music at 14 - 18 years old that 14 -18 year olds are currently listening to doesn't give us the right to demean their choice in that. The world moves and I've had to accept that The Clash simply aren't a punk band of choice any more and nor is 1st Ed Ad'n'd a system of choice for younger players.

True, people prefer what they have grown up with, for the most part.  The folks that astonish me are the ones that grew up with 1E, and still choose to play 3E.   8O  (Or vice versa, I suppose).

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:53 pm 

I've enjoyed the 3.x games that I've played, but they were with some pretty diehard Greyhawk folks, so the fact that the games were 3.x was relatively inconsequential.  

That said, I submitted "bites" also, purely from a game design standpoint, because even with all of the EL, CRs, balanced magic items relative to the level of the challenge, tailored vs. status quo encouners, etc., etc. etc., that do in fact make 3.x into a mathematical nightmare, putting a module together as a DM is still an art, not a science, only I have to do advanced calculus (or use Excel all the time) to insure that I'm statting my NPCs properly.  Grrrr.  I hate that, especially when I want to wing stuff in a game.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Next