Dungeon Magazine's "30 greatest adventures"
Poll: How many of the "30 greatest adventures" do you own?

All 30, baby 21%       21%  [ 15 ]
27. Everything but that 3e crap 10%       10%  [ 7 ]
Between 20 and 26 35%       35%  [ 25 ]
Between 13 and 19 14%       14%  [ 10 ]
Between 6 and 12 13%       13%  [ 9 ]
Between 1 and 5 (am I on the right forum?) 7%       7%  [ 5 ]
None. What is this "D&D" thing ... ? 1%       1%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 72

Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:43 am 

I have all of these, but I think the reason more non-TSR/WotC modules are not on the list is simple -- who else had official sanction to produce modules? If we discount the d20 era, I'd think the list of companies who had an AD&D license would be shorter than 5, but I could be wrong... I can think of Judges Guild and Mayfair. Who else?

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:29 pm 

It was a great idea to resurrect this.
(22 items)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:30 pm 

I can't vote in the poll. There's no option for 29 of the 30.  I have everything except the JG module.

Edit:  I think I6 is on the list because it spawned an entire CS, not many modules can  claim this.  It also has a nifty '3-D' map that helps put the entire castle in perspective.  It's replay value is excellent compared to most other modules.  I'm not sure about it being #2 though.

** Banned **

Post Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:29 pm 

I have 13. Or if you count A1 - A4 as A1-4 and G1-2-3, D1-2/3, & Q1 as GDQ1-7, then 15.

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

** Banned **

Post Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:31 pm 

Keith the Thief wrote:If it were my ranking:

Lost Caverns of Tosj would be in top 10

White Plume would be in top 5

G1, G2 & G3 (separately) would be somewhere between 10 & 15.

And the 4th Slave Lord module (where the PCs find themselves naked in the dark) would be way up there.  I must be in the 50% that love it. Either that, or the other half.  

Oddly, I've never played, or even read, Ravenloft.
I've never been big on vampires, and it's only getting worse with all this Twilight crap.  
Still, I guess I should find a copy and see why it's #2.

My two cents'

This, all of it. My sentiments exactly.

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:11 pm 

MetamorphosisSigma wrote:
This, all of it. My sentiments exactly.

When I think of the I6 vampire, I'm reminded of Stoker's Dracula, not the Rice variety. The setting is creaky castle, not Paris. If that helps.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:46 pm 

Keith the Thief wrote:If it were my ranking:

Lost Caverns of Tosj would be in top 10

White Plume would be in top 5

G1, G2 & G3 (separately) would be somewhere between 10 & 15.

And the 4th Slave Lord module (where the PCs find themselves naked in the dark) would be way up there.  I must be in the 50% that love it. Either that, or the other half.  

Oddly, I've never played, or even read, Ravenloft.
I've never been big on vampires, and it's only getting worse with all this Twilight crap.  
Still, I guess I should find a copy and see why it's #2.

My two cents'

Interesting.  I am mostly opposite of this.  S4 isnt even in my top ten.  The G series are all in my top ten.  G3 is number one in my list, closely followed by Ravenloft.  White Plume Mountain, while fun, just doesnt do it for me.  Of course neither does Tomb of Horrors.

Never played any of the Slave Lords modules.  Although I have read them and would have probably enjoyed the hell out of A4 at least.

Ravenloft, in my opinion, is a fantastic module that can be a lot of fun, very scary, and a pain in the ass to survive in the hands of a good DM.  I didnt really care all that much for the sequel, I10, and the campaign setting is something that I just didnt get and dont really care for.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:29 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
Interesting.  I am mostly opposite of this.

One of the reasons I liked the S-series was because I didn't really have a campaign ... just an autonomous collective ... oops, sorry .... I just strung a bunch of modules together.

The S- and A-series lent themselves to this patchwork universe.

Beyond that, my "rankings" are subjective and nostalgic :-)

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:38 pm 

Had 20 or 21 at one point. At 4 or 5 now.

** Banned **

Post Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:45 pm 

It's surprising to me how many people have posted saying that they own fewer of these modules now than they once did. I would have thought most collections would simply increase over time, especially when it comes to the older stuff. I've sold off all of me 3rd edition D&D, for instance, but kept my AD&D 1e.

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:42 pm 

I don't remember how many I had back in 2005 but I have all of them now - some of the D20 ones purchased only because they were cheap rather than intending to buy top 30 modules.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:23 am 

MetamorphosisSigma wrote:It's surprising to me how many people have posted saying that they own fewer of these modules now than they once did. I would have thought most collections would simply increase over time, especially when it comes to the older stuff. I've sold off all of me 3rd edition D&D, for instance, but kept my AD&D 1e.

I own a mere fraction of what I once did.  
By the late 80s I was discouraged by the direction the game was taking.  When you add getting married, having kids, having a career (still can't figure out why I did that), RPG material got scattered, lost, loaned out, etc.  

Between 1989 and ~2004 D&D was in my rearview mirror, but I still loved collecting (books, coins, small shiny objects).

Then I turned 40 and realized D&D is just too much fun. And life is too damn short and too damn annoying not to have fun when you can.
Once you're a fan, you never really leave fandom.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:27 am 

I guess I should get Dark Tower /shrug.  Sounds like its a good one.

Pipswich Peddles (and trades) for his collection!  
http://stores.ebay.com/Pipswich-Peddles

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:05 am 

having read the thread through, its interesting to see that the S, A, UK series and I6 are favourites... something to tag for future reading :)

shame so few of those early posters are no longer here.. maybe life took over or the old nailing of heads got too much? :lol:  which incidently hasnt happened in a good while, as it seems the new joiners/returners are proper decent chaps! Where's a good troll when you need one....

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:42 pm 

Keith the Thief wrote:I own a mere fraction of what I once did.

Same here.

I started this thread in December of 2005. Now, roughly 4.5 years later, I'd say I own about 25 to 35 percent of the RPG items that I had on that December day.

Work, children, shifting interests, selling for much-needed extra dollars ... there's lots of reasons.

** Banned **

Post Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:00 pm 

I had an image in my head of the "typical" Acaeum member (as if there were such a person) sitting in a room filled with gaming stuff, slowly being buried by a mountain of books, modules, dice, and supplies as his beard grew longer and grayer. It's interesting to find out that many, like myself, backtrack, sell off parts of the collection, and winnow out things that once were cherished but now are just clutter or bill-paying potential.

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:46 pm 

MetamorphosisSigma wrote:I had an image in my head of the "typical" Acaeum member (as if there were such a person) sitting in a room filled with gaming stuff, slowly being buried by a mountain of books, modules, dice, and supplies as his beard grew longer and grayer. It's interesting to find out that many, like myself, backtrack, sell off parts of the collection, and winnow out things that once were cherished but now are just clutter or bill-paying potential.

No mounds of dice here.  
Pretty much a typical American household in an old established neighborhood.
Huge trees, bikes in the yard.
Dogs taking a dump on chemically treated lawns.  
You'd have to look around to find my collection of D&D.  
Not that it's hidden, but I have many, many more books & DVDs on the bookshelves.  

At a Christmas party a guest was looking at our bookcases and said, "Is this that that old D&D game?"  

"Yep," I told him.  "Back in the day."

And then he said something to the effect of this: "Funny how something will catch on for a while then you'll never hear about it again."

I just went back to the kitchen and poured myself another scotch.

** Banned **

Post Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:38 pm 

Keith the Thief wrote:
No mounds of dice here.  
Pretty much a typical American household in an old established neighborhood.
Huge trees, bikes in the yard.
Dogs taking a dump on chemically treated lawns.  
You'd have to look around to find my collection of D&D.  
Not that it's hidden, but I have many, many more books & DVDs on the bookshelves.  

At a Christmas party a guest was looking at our bookcases and said, "Is this that that old D&D game?"  

"Yep," I told him.  "Back in the day."

And then he said something to the effect of this: "Funny how something will catch on for a while then you'll never hear about it again."

I just went back to the kitchen and poured myself another scotch.

Cute. Most of the people I know these days would have a similar reaction.

Pretty much the same household situation here, though I tend to keep the gaming stuff upstairs where guests wouldn't normally go. Not so much due to embarrassment as I've gravitated toward using the nursery, now that the kids are out of it, as my "man cave".

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

PreviousNext