Dungeon Magazine's "30 greatest adventures"
Poll: How many of the "30 greatest adventures" do you own?

All 30, baby 21%       21%  [ 15 ]
27. Everything but that 3e crap 10%       10%  [ 7 ]
Between 20 and 26 35%       35%  [ 25 ]
Between 13 and 19 14%       14%  [ 10 ]
Between 6 and 12 13%       13%  [ 9 ]
Between 1 and 5 (am I on the right forum?) 7%       7%  [ 5 ]
None. What is this "D&D" thing ... ? 1%       1%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 72

Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:01 am 

*bump*

Martin, here is one of the threads that we discussed this in.  FWIW, this list was located in Dungeon Magazine #116 from November of 2004.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:05 am 

Oh and FWIW, here is a link to Paizo's page for it:

http://paizo.com/store/magazines/dungeo ... s/2004/116

Pic:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:01 am 

New Columns by Wil Wheaton and Monte Cook?

Is that Wil Wheaton of Star Trek TNG fame - you know Wusly Crusher?  The only thing I have seen him do since was he did a fan appreciation interview on the first ThunderCats DVD set.  It was very scary and is now very scary to think he is writing a D&D column.  It seems he is doing some cult hopping.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:12 am 

Mars wrote:New Columns by Wil Wheaton and Monte Cook?

Is that Wil Wheaton of Star Trek TNG fame - you know Wusly Crusher?  The only thing I have seen him do since was he did a fan appreciation interview on the first ThunderCats DVD set.  It was very scary and is now very scary to think he is writing a D&D column.  It seems he is doing some cult hopping.

The Wheaton stuff was pretty scary.  I think it falls under the heading of "Celebrity Columnist With No Experience Tries Much Too Hard".  Some were painful to read. His column has been gone for awhile now.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:14 am 

Wil stopped the article a few issues back (don't know how many). I breezed through them as they were mainly about him playing D&D with the kids... seemed to be a bit repetitive after the first couple...

"Don't tempt me, I can resist anything but temptation"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:31 am 

Hey,
I have a problem with the list...I think the UK2 Sentinel/ UK3 Gauntlet was a truly memorable adventure. That really should have been on the list- and what about the rest of the Saltmarsh series? I also disagree that DL1 is on the list.

I have 20- I used to have the Queen of Spiders but I hated the art so much that I basically gave it away. I have the original mods in their multiple looks (mono-GW mono-pastel) and those are infinitely preferable, to my slightly insufferable way of thinking.

Bree-Yark!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:12 pm 

RWilson wrote:Hey,
I have a problem with the list...I think the UK2 Sentinel/ UK3 Gauntlet was a truly memorable adventure. That really should have been on the list- and what about the rest of the Saltmarsh series? I also disagree that DL1 is on the list.

I have 20- I used to have the Queen of Spiders but I hated the art so much that I basically gave it away. I have the original mods in their multiple looks (mono-GW mono-pastel) and those are infinitely preferable, to my slightly insufferable way of thinking.

The List was more a promtional too than anything else...the presence of any 3rd edition on the list immediately fails the sniff test...none of that has been around long enough to be on any "Best" list.  They just wanted to promote material from their most recent line.  Anyway, the list is pretty predictible and anyone here on the Acaeum could come up with as good or better a list in about an hour....

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:05 pm 

There can be no doubt about the uselessness of that list.

First off, compilations should never be included.

Second, the only two that I see that might make the top 20 are X1 and N1...

Third, you know it was a complete idiot that formulated that list when I3-5 scores higher than A1-4. Are you freaking kidding me. The A series not only completely outsells the I3-5 series on ebay, the prices are often double or triple. And everyone that I ever talked to about the A series loves it...way too many unique and cool encounters...A blind guy with a ring of fire protection standing in a huge BBQ pit hurling grease...damn that was great!!!

Yep, that list is garbage.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:18 pm 

N1 was a great adventure.....but those A series are absolutely fantastic. Mad scientist elves, characters stripped of all their gear and forced to think, antpeople!

But the final showdowns with the slave lords were the height of gaming in my day....just so much going on in one round alone. And the sense of high adventure never slipped.

Bree-Yark!

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:09 pm 

I've only got 23 of those. it's a whole new thread/poll discussing what should be on it.

An té nach mbíonn láidir ní folláir dó bheith glic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-ajduHx5hc

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:25 pm 

The Giants series should be listed separately from Queen.  Queen sucked.  The original Giants adventures were incredible.  The atmosphere of G1 was unforgettable.

Let mirth prevail!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:07 pm 

I have 28 out of 30 . This list has some major flaws, im suprised at how some of them even made it on here ? ( Ruins of undermountain pure garbage). It seems Throne of Bloodstone would at least kick its ass through to the top ten but its not even mentioned. The whole UK Series of British modules were also very good. And if you like underdark modules: gates of firestone peak is really good and underated, you can usually pick it up cheap on ebay if you look for a while.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:12 pm 

Yes, the final showdown with the slave lords after escaping the dungeon on the burning island is definately one of the most dramatic and deadly game play and roleplaying action ever written in Scourge of Slavelords A1 - A4. I love that campaign module.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:12 pm 

bombadil wrote:The Giants series should be listed separately from Queen.  Queen sucked.  The original Giants adventures were incredible.  The atmosphere of G1 was unforgettable.

Amen, brother. We were scared shitless going in there. It was the first time we had a party of characters hit the 8-9 level range. And then all hell broke loose in the main hall. I had a 7th level Paladin and got the crap beat out of him.

Q1 is crap. Not even worth reading.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:39 pm 

To play devil's advocate, two points.

1)  I absolutely love Q1, its one of my favorite modules of all time.  :)

2)  There are a lot of gamers(not me in the circumstance, I really love the A series), that despise the A series of modules.   Reading over on Dragonsfoot actually, I would say its a 50-50 split of the folks who like the A series and those who hate it.  A lot of people are of the opinion that it is to railroady.   Then again a lot more people over there also hate the I3-5 series, so take that for what its worth.

Just my $.02.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:43 am 

I have 21 of them. I don't have any of the newer ones.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:17 am 

is queen of the spiders the same as Q1?

sorry but i loved Q1 to DM and to play. i have some great stuff for the alternate worlds, which prb takes up more of the game than the rest of the module did! i also instigated more confrontations with lolth there too, which made the emphasis at later points all the more prominent, as the group is always totally up for it at that point.

i still say its how you DM the thing, which makes it good or not. same going for I6, my other fave.

ah well, to each their own, thats what you have these choices for :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:58 am 

bclarkie wrote:To play devil's advocate, two points.

1)  I absolutely love Q1, its one of my favorite modules of all time.  :)

2)  There are a lot of gamers(not me in the circumstance, I really love the A series), that despise the A series of modules.   Reading over on Dragonsfoot actually, I would say its a 50-50 split of the folks who like the A series and those who hate it.  A lot of people are of the opinion that it is to railroady.   Then again a lot more people over there also hate the I3-5 series, so take that for what its worth.

Just my $.02.

The A series is never going to be the favorite of people who prefer more role playing than, shall we say, adventuring. It is a linear series, but we have to remember it was a tournament series, and not designed for even moderate role-playing.

I don't want to really cite ebay as an indicator, but the A series does extremely well compared to virtually every other series, with the exception of the U series.

The one guy in our group who always role-played every situation to death (given the opportunity) was bored to tears in the A series until A3 and they found the slaver city! 8O

PreviousNext