Negative Feedback Count
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:00 pm 

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share their feelings on negative feedback. I like to feel that I am a pretty solid buyer and the only ding I have is one I got in retaliation for some books that had their condition so exaggerated that I could I posted a negative in anger before I even talked to the person.

That being said I have had more and more deals go awry recently. A much higher percentage than I have ever had in the past. These consist of poorly packaged items, items that were never delivered, items were the condition was overstated....well almost anyway a deal can go bad it seems I have had it in the last few months.

I am almost exclusively a buyer but am getting ready to sell (Believe it when it happens) a fair bit of duplication or prints I have upgraded from. I guess I need to know what is an acceptable feedback percentage for a seller. I have maybe 8 -10 negative feedbacks I want to give but am concerned for the retaliatory because these are all sellers who have not given me feedback (the sure fire sign the deal is going to suck in my book). So if any one would be willing to share their thoughts or experience on this I would really appreciate it.

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:06 pm 

Marlith wrote:I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share their feelings on negative feedback. I like to feel that I am a pretty solid buyer and the only ding I have is one I got in retaliation for some books that had their condition so exaggerated that I could I posted a negative in anger before I even talked to the person.

That being said I have had more and more deals go awry recently. A much higher percentage than I have ever had in the past. These consist of poorly packaged items, items that were never delivered, items were the condition was overstated....well almost anyway a deal can go bad it seems I have had it in the last few months.

I am almost exclusively a buyer but am getting ready to sell (Believe it when it happens) a fair bit of duplication or prints I have upgraded from. I guess I need to know what is an acceptable feedback percentage for a seller. I have maybe 8 -10 negative feedbacks I want to give but am concerned for the retaliatory because these are all sellers who have not given me feedback (the sure fire sign the deal is going to suck in my book). So if any one would be willing to share their thoughts or experience on this I would really appreciate it.

I think that 1 neg wipes out about 100 positves, people freak when they see a feedback rating of 98% or less.  Hold off on your negs until you are finished selling.

J

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:12 pm 

As a buyer, I feel safe buying from a seller with a feedback score over 100 and a rating above 98%. I will always check out a seller's feedback before I buy, unless I know the seller from Acaeum.

As a seller, I would be agrieved if I got negative feedback without prior contact. I try to take high quality photos of items I sell, and I try to be honest in my description. I also package everything well and send only Recorded Delivery. I would be surprised if I delivered a package to a buyer and was informed it was damaged. I also fully insure everything I sell, so I can make a claim against the Post Office.

That said, I have had a US buyer claim an item went missing. I replaced the item free of charge, and discovered from the Post Office that the buyer received the missing item and the replacement.

In that situation, I have no means of recourse against either the buyer or the Post Office and I am out of pocket abou $80. That buyer knows who he is. He posts on both Acaeum and Dragonsfoot. I guess we are not all honest here!

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:20 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:That buyer knows who he is. He posts on both Acaeum and Dragonsfoot. I guess we are not all honest here!

Ah, clarkie again, no doubt... :lol:

Just kidding!  Of course!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:22 pm 

Actually, you do have recourse. That is mail fraud. The Post Office does not take that lightly. If you have proof that he received it, he will get a huge fine.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:23 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:As a seller, I would be agrieved if I got negative feedback without prior contact. I try to take high quality photos of items I sell, and I try to be honest in my description. I also package everything well and send only Recorded Delivery.

I understand that and as I said I have had numerous deals go south and there has only ever been one negative. This was for a set of Golden Book Encylopedias which I was going to give to my nephews. They were postionsed in the single photo so as to hide almost all the cover damage. They were then described as being in excellent condition (as memory serves that was the term) with only minor wear. I received with multiple covers damaged, water damaged, seperated covers and all bur one wor two were colored or written in. So yes an honest seller might be offended without getting contact first. This person should have counted themselves lucky I did not hunt them down and make them eat the books.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:25 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:Actually, you do have recourse. That is mail fraud. The Post Office does not take that lightly. If you have proof that he received it, he will get a huge fine.

The odd time I get a customer complain about not receiving an item I get the post office to do a trace on it and inform the guy/gal.  Most times it is dropped, I feel about 1 in 10 complaints about not receiving an item are truth, the rest are probably fraud.

J

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:26 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:Actually, you do have recourse. That is mail fraud. The Post Office does not take that lightly. If you have proof that he received it, he will get a huge fine.

I wish. That does not hold true for UK citizens trying to claim against US citizens. However it does work the other way. Another of those anti-foriegner US policies the US is famous for. Your government protect your citizens against crimes perpetrated in foriegn countries, even when its done remotely.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:27 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:
In that situation, I have no means of recourse against either the buyer or the Post Office and I am out of pocket abou $80. That buyer knows who he is. He posts on both Acaeum and Dragonsfoot. I guess we are not all honest here!

Drum roll ............  and the buyer is?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:32 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:

I wish. That does not hold true for UK citizens trying to claim against US citizens. However it does work the other way. Another of those anti-foriegner US policies the US is famous for. Your government protect your citizens against crimes perpetrated in foriegn countries, even when its done remotely.

I guess the answer in this situation is to not sell to us lousy Americans with us being such an untrustworthy lot  :wink:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:34 pm 

Marlith wrote:
mbassoc2003 wrote:

I guess the answer in this situation is to not sell to us lousy Americans with us being such an untrustworthy lot :wink:

Thats right, just sell to Canada 8)

J

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:43 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:
Marlith wrote:
mbassoc2003 wrote:

I guess the answer in this situation is to not sell to us lousy Americans with us being such an untrustworthy lot :wink:

Thats right, just sell to Canada 8)

J

Hey watch out there....ever see Canadian Bacon with John Candy  :lol:

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:46 pm 

If you are dedicated enough, Marlith, you can check to see what day 90 days after the transaction is . . . leave feedback in the last few hours if you are able. You might be able to hit them and them not have time to get you a neg in return.

I've heard Badmike say he's used this before . . .

Myself? I'm just a sweet guy . . . I've never left anyone a neg before. Every once in a while someone doesn't pay - almost always they are newbies and have zero feedback. I'm inclined to let it slide . . . after all, I can easily get a credit and relist the item. A neutral is as harsh as I have given.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:48 pm 

As a buyer, it's the content of the negatives that worries me more than the number of them as well as the sellers response to the negatives.  If you have negatives that say bad things about items not showing up, and speak of no contact I avoid.  But if there are some negatives and they're for slow shipping or seem retalitory or by the replys they seem to be situations that were resolved I don't worry about it.

That being said, I hate feedback.  I hate leaving it (unless you set up an automatic program it's a pain to do in bulk), and I hate getting it.  100% of my less than positive feedbacks as a seller (I have one neutral as a buyer) have been from people who never emailed me about their "problem" before leaving the feedback.  Trust me, I'm about as easy-going about returns as possible, but not one of those people sent the first email to me. =\

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:50 pm 

There are regulars and there are occasional posters.  I trust all you regular guys.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:52 pm 

beyondthebreach wrote:If you are dedicated enough, Marlith, you can check to see what day 90 days after the transaction is . . . leave feedback in the last few hours if you are able. You might be able to hit them and them not have time to get you a neg in return.

Myself? I'm just a sweet guy . . . I've never left anyone a neg before. Every once in a while someone doesn't pay - almost always they are newbies and have zero feedback. I'm inclined to let it slide . . . after all, I can easily get a credit and relist the item. A neutral is as harsh as I have gone before.

I hated leaving the negative, it was the first and only one, I had ever left. I am just getting burned on more and more auctions. In the case were there is no payment there is an option. As a buyer if they have cancelled their PayPal account or you paid through some other means you are out the cash and in some cases the item as well. The eBay Buyer Protection is worthless. My $26.40 purchase got me a whole $1.40 back in arecent bad deal (to boot they are no longer a registered user) after the $25.00 processing fee or whatever the $25.00 fee is.

PS Yes you are one of the best sellers and nicest people I have had the pleasure of dealing with!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:47 pm 

beyondthebreach wrote:If you are dedicated enough, Marlith, you can check to see what day 90 days after the transaction is . . . leave feedback in the last few hours if you are able. You might be able to hit them and them not have time to get you a neg in return.

Myself? I'm just a sweet guy . . . I've never left anyone a neg before. Every once in a while someone doesn't pay - almost always they are newbies and have zero feedback. I'm inclined to let it slide . . . after all, I can easily get a credit and relist the item. A neutral is as harsh as I have given.

I've done this before, it really works. Most people aren't anal enough about checking their feedback to notice a neg until a couple of days have passed, and then you are home free.  I hate to leave negs, I reserve this for the worst of the worst...those who buy a load of stuff and never even contact me much less pay, or those who sell me an item grossly overestimated by their description.  I mean magazines advertised as Mint, no wear that have the covers coming off (happened to me once).  Sometimes I'll contact them but in the case of outright lying I figure they deserve the hit.

Mike B.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:03 pm 

Badmike wrote:

I hate to leave negs, I reserve this for the worst of the worst...those who buy a load of stuff and never even contact me much less pay, or those who sell me an item grossly overestimated by their description. I mean magazines advertised as Mint, no wear that have the covers coming off (happened to me once). Sometimes I'll contact them but in the case of outright lying I figure they deserve the hit.

Mike B.

And that is where I was on this person. The way they described and had to postion the books indicated what I felt was an intention. The covers had seperated from two of them. I thought something like that may have warranted a comment and not doing so indicated intent. Once again they had not left feedback after payment was made. My thought is that the buyer has completed his part once payment has been made and feedback should be left at that time. If a buyer posts feedback then the seller should not be able to retaliate. They should be able to post an explination on their feedback but not ding the buyer because they were crooked.

Next