The Garbage that was...
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:55 am 

Just out of curiosity, how many of you who are calling 3.0/3.5 "crap" have actually even *opened* the rulebooks, let alone read the rules?

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:01 am 

Feanor23x wrote:Just out of curiosity, how many of you who are calling 3.0/3.5 "crap" have actually even *opened* the rulebooks, let alone read the rules?

Damnit, I'm outta this thread...I know there's no winning THIS arguement with this pack of old-schoolers! ;)

There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:47 am 

I've DMed two separate campaigns, and played NWN online. Pretty sure I have a handle on the system.

Any system that has tumbling as a skill available to any character is inherently flawed. I won't even get into great cleave. Or use magic device. Or whirlwind. Or half mind flayers/half ogres. Or (insert favorite idiotic ability here.)

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:23 am 

3e is a very well designed game for its intended playstyle and audience. I intensely dislike the style of play it best supports, however, so I don't play it any more. Also, it is a game written for gamers, which is basically a bad thing in my book. I have several 3e publication credits and ran the game as my home system for a couple of years before I came to my senses, so there you go - more than cracked the books, as it turns out.

Looking for your old-school fantasy roleplaying fix? Don't despair...Fight On! Check it out at http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/FightOn.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:02 am 

bclarkie wrote:Seriously, poop in the dungeon? 8O That is a little realistic for my fantasy RPG taste. I am a hardcore 1st edition person and I am like Frank when it comes to trying to make the fantasy as real as possible(if that makes any sense), but I think poop in the dungeon is probably too literal and a bit much for my tastes. :?

Yeah. And it would make Dungeon Floor Plans look interesting. Try getting those through UK censors. How about a portable hole, or a bag or holding, or a 'glove of wiping'. :lol:
<edit> make that 'gloves of antiseptic wiping'.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:26 am 

Deadlord36 wrote:BOWL OF CRAPPING:

Originally created by the Archmage Gotasheeut-Nao for adventuring convenience, the Bowl of Crapping is an extremely useful item for any party. It appears as a tiny basin, roughly 1" in diameter. When the command word is spoken, it expands into a chamberpot 2' wide and 2 1/2' high. A second command word causes it to shrink back to 1". Any nonliving organic material that enters the bowl is immediately teleported to the Asstral Plane, and causes the bowl to cast a Remove Stench 10' Radius spell. Attached to the side of the bowl is a wire rack, which can be used to conjure any issue of Dragon magazine (2/day, duration 15 rounds).

30% of bowls have a cushioned seat permanently enchanted with the 2nd level magic-user spell Heat Buttocks.

XP Value: 3,000

GP Value: Priceless

You know, if you really tried to imagine a D&D fantasy world and what it would be like if we weren't roleplaying in it . . . items like this would be more common than #1 Swords.  Sure, some Wizards might not lower themselves to creating magic items for pure profit . . . but others would surely be lured by the almighty Gold Piece.  

Pipes of Smoking that never need to be refilled, the above Mentioned Bowl of Crapping, Gaments of Dirt Repelling, Pots of Cooking, Rainproof Cloaks, Censers of Insecticide Smoke, Flagon of Unending Ale, etc.   :D

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:14 am 

beyondthebreach wrote:You know, if you really tried to imagine a D&D fantasy world and what it would be like if we weren't roleplaying in it . . . items like this would be more common than #1 Swords. Sure, some Wizards might not lower themselves to creating magic items for pure profit . . . but others would surely be lured by the almighty Gold Piece.

Pipes of Smoking that never need to be refilled, the above Mentioned Bowl of Crapping, Gaments of Dirt Repelling, Pots of Cooking, Rainproof Cloaks, Censers of Insecticide Smoke, Flagon of Unending Ale, etc. :D

Kord's Prophylactic of Protection against "Unforeseen Circumstances"?

[If discovered randomly, roll d% to determine species fit and additional properties... 8O]

OK, BTB, exactly how much commercial "realism" did you want? :oops: :lol:

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:20 am 

harami2000 wrote:
beyondthebreach wrote:You know, if you really tried to imagine a D&D fantasy world and what it would be like if we weren't roleplaying in it . . . items like this would be more common than #1 Swords. Sure, some Wizards might not lower themselves to creating magic items for pure profit . . . but others would surely be lured by the almighty Gold Piece.

Pipes of Smoking that never need to be refilled, the above Mentioned Bowl of Crapping, Gaments of Dirt Repelling, Pots of Cooking, Rainproof Cloaks, Censers of Insecticide Smoke, Flagon of Unending Ale, etc. :D

Kord's Prophylactic of Protection against "Unforeseen Circumstances"?

[If discovered randomly, roll d% to determine species fit and additional properties... 8O]

OK, BTB, exactly how much commercial "realism" did you want? :oops: :lol:

It goes without saying that those damn Wizard Locked Chastity belts would be in high demand when the local lords went off to the Orc crusades.  So long as there were no other high level Wizards hanging around the Castle that is . . .  :D

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:27 am 

:P

=

Ah.... *checks back to the top of the thread*

bbarsh wrote:So, what am I missing. Which module in 2nd ed. is good?

*falls silent again* ;)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:16 am 

its amazing how easily things go off thread round here :)

i also like them fighters and wizards challenge books....there are some good little adventures in them.

i really like a lot of the 2E ravenloft stuff too.

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:11 am 

Pipes of Smoking that never need to be refilled, the above Mentioned Bowl of Crapping, Gaments of Dirt Repelling, Pots of Cooking, Rainproof Cloaks, Censers of Insecticide Smoke, Flagon of Unending Ale, etc.  :D

Here's a spell from my own campaign setting, named after the Mordenkainen/Elminster/Gandalf of that world, Brynn.  (I've eliminated the spell stats.)

Brynn's Exalted Effervescent Refreshment

One of Brynn's earlier experiments, this spell is a vast improvement upon the conventional "create water".  When cast it produces several dark glass bottles filled with strong ale, up to six per level of the caster.  The bottles themselves vanish when the liquid is consumed or they are broken, but otherwise remain indefinitely.

YIM  

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:44 am 

Can't have your fantasy *too* realistic.

Imagine the scene in LotR when Sam & Frodo etc. first meet the Elves in the forest. Frodo: "Well Sam, what do you think to Elves?" Sam: "Well sir, I thought they were both jolly and sad, oh and the singing and dancing were wonderful, well right up to the point where I caught and Elven lady taking a dump between behind a tree that is!"

Gollum "Dammit you put the damn ring down to wipe your ass and nasty Bagginses runs off with it! Not fair is it precious, he should try living on a diet of curried fish and see what happens!"

Nobody on TV ever goes to the toilet. Ever. It's Spiderman I always felt sorry for...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:27 am 

My interest in buying the newer TSR modules waned when the game makers started decreasing the amount of descriptive BOXED TEXT used in the modules.  I know that some DMs hated boxed text (found it too constrictive or limiting somehow), and some players did too (found it too long-winded), but I liked it --a lot.

bonk!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:33 am 

Lewisexi wrote:Can't have your fantasy *too* realistic.

Imagine the scene in LotR when Sam & Frodo etc. first meet the Elves in the forest. Frodo: "Well Sam, what do you think to Elves?" Sam: "Well sir, I thought they were both jolly and sad, oh and the singing and dancing were wonderful, well right up to the point where I caught and Elven lady taking a dump between behind a tree that is!"

Gollum "Dammit you put the damn ring down to wipe your ass and nasty Bagginses runs off with it! Not fair is it precious, he should try living on a diet of curried fish and see what happens!"

Nobody on TV ever goes to the toilet. Ever. It's Spiderman I always felt sorry for...

Elves dont have to poop.  Since all they eat is fruits, nuts, and "elvish bread" there is very little waste product.  What there is of it is passed through their pores as a gas that has an intoxicating spice like smell.

And to keep with the topic of the thread, I also liked From the Shadows and Roots of Evil for the Ravenloft setting.  Really the only two adventures from that setting that I thought were really worthy of the name Ravenloft.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:37 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:BOWL OF CRAPPING:

Originally created by the Archmage Gotasheeut-Nao for adventuring convenience, the Bowl of Crapping is an extremely useful item for any party. It appears as a tiny basin, roughly 1" in diameter. When the command word is spoken, it expands into a chamberpot 2' wide and 2 1/2' high. A second command word causes it to shrink back to 1". Any nonliving organic material that enters the bowl is immediately teleported to the Asstral Plane, and causes the bowl to cast a Remove Stench 10' Radius spell. Attached to the side of the bowl is a wire rack, which can be used to conjure any issue of Dragon magazine (2/day, duration 15 rounds).

30% of bowls have a cushioned seat permanently enchanted with the 2nd level magic-user spell Heat Buttocks.

XP Value: 3,000

GP Value: Priceless

Frank I promise this will make an appearance in my latest campaign adventure.  These idiots in my group (my brothers mostly) are always having their characters take dumps in inappropriate places for cheap laughs.  Now it's my turn.  Perfect!

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:09 am 

If you want to be really mean, make it an artifact, or a cursed item. Have them all covet it.

"It's my crapper! Mine! It's my prrreccioussss...."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:21 am 

Deadlord36 wrote:If you want to be really mean, make it an artifact, or a cursed item. Have them all covet it.

"It's my crapper! Mine! It's my prrreccioussss...."

it could be cursed, to the point that when they sit on it, it adheres to their butt and stays there, giving them -4 "to hit" etc and +2 on AC :D

could have allsorts of fun with that one.

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:50 am 

Assloads of fun.

I probably have 60 pages of items I have made up during my D&D career. Not a lot of foolish ones, though. But I will add the bowl.

PreviousNext