The Garbage that was...
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:03 pm 

Sorry, I meant +3 swords. My mistake.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:09 pm 

Plaag wrote:
Deadlord36 wrote:So 3E really doesn't suit my campaigns, since first level 3E characters usually start with +4 keen double-bladed swords, etc.

:roll: No they don't

ShaneG.

now THAT is a quality piece of sarcasm :D

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:10 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:Sorry, I meant +3 swords. My mistake.

frank, you are the king or sarcasm - make me laugh every time ! :D :D :D

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:11 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:
Badmike wrote:
RWilson wrote:I just assumed everybody crapped in the hallway.

Hey, I actually wouldn't have any problems with that, as long as the area was described correctly in the descriptions: "You traverse another long hallway deep in the dungeon, carefully avoiding the noxious piles of ogre and orc dung strewn in hardening piles along the stone. Your eyes and nose burn with the stench as you stifle the urge to vomit after stepping in a particularly fresh load which comes up to your ankles and has the color of spinach and the consistency of hot fudge." Now that's something I could get into 8O

Mike B.

With the evokative detail in that description, I'm looking forward to my most recent purchases from you, Mike. :(

<edit> It evokes memories of my wife's vegetables. A truely mouth watering description. :D

I don't know if I have anything that good in the I1 re-write.  I have one waste disposal hole in a cell that the Yuan ti keep their prisoners, but I realy don't go into much detail. I guess I can "beef it up" if you want  :wink:

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:15 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:
Badmike wrote:"You traverse another long hallway deep in the dungeon, carefully avoiding the noxious piles of ogre and orc dung strewn in hardening piles along the stone. Your eyes and nose burn with the stench as you stifle the urge to vomit after stepping in a particularly fresh load which comes up to your ankles and has the color of spinach and the consistency of hot fudge."

"With the exception of one suspiciously spotless 10' x 10' area directly in front of you...roll for surprise, please." If it weren't for the cubes, these places wouldn't be habitable for long.

Yeh, I suppose for added realism most published adventures should have least one Otyugh or Gelatinous Cube per dungeon level. Maybe Gary and co. should have invented a brand new monter way back in, similar to the Rust Monster, the Crap Monster?  Now I could accept a dungeon with no disposal sites if the Crap Monster is crawling down the hall eating all the piles of dung.

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:20 pm 

Badmike wrote:
Yeh, I suppose for added realism most published adventures should have least one Otyugh or Gelatinous Cube per dungeon level. Maybe Gary and co. should have invented a brand new monter way back in, similar to the Rust Monster, the Crap Monster? Now I could accept a dungeon with no disposal sites if the Crap Monster is crawling down the hall eating all the piles of dung.

Mike B.

i usually just create something where these kinda things happen.... a rubbish type of room. prisoners go in there to clear it out etc....

works for me..

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:49 pm 

Random thoughts:

AD&D

UK1 is a nice change of pace.

2nd edition A&D:

I do like Ruins of Undermountain.

Return to the Tomb of Horrors reads well, but I wonder...doesnt the horror upon horror upon horror get a bit....tedious?

The "Court of The Necromacers" in Al-Qadim Cities Of Bone is excellent. and gets extra special triple brownie points for being influenced by Clark Ashton Smith.

Haunted Halls of Evenstar is crap. Its like a mediocre JG dungeon, but without the fun or the nostalgia factor.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:27 pm 

nn wrote:Random thoughts:

AD&D

UK1 is a nice change of pace.

I honestly don't know how a group could enjoy this.  It's frustratingly combat and conflict free.  I can actually see a highly annoyed party of adventurers breaking down at some point and slaughtering all the cute, inoffensive brownies and such that inhabit the most boring "dungeon" on the face of Oerth.  I always get a picture of the hapless party of adventurers in Knights of the Dinner Table being run through this and screaming "I waste it with my crossbow" when some cute centaur or leprechaun pops up in the garden, just to break up the monotony  As a matter of fact, I've long decided this adventure would be an excellent crawl fora group of evil characters that are intent on killing the Romeo and Juliet like couple you would otherwise be rescuing.  At least then you could legitimately battle most of the sylvan creatures you run into.  I personally think it's one of the ten worst published adventures ever written.

2nd edition A&D:

I do like Ruins of Undermountain.

Return to the Tomb of Horrors reads well, but I wonder...doesnt the horror upon horror upon horror get a bit....tedious?

The "Court of The Necromacers" in Al-Qadim Cities Of Bone is excellent. and gets extra special triple brownie points for being influenced by Clark Ashton Smith.

RTOH is quite grim and deadly, but isnt' that the point of the final resting place of the greatest lich of all time?  Cities of Bone I haven't read but have heard good things about.

Haunted Halls of Evenstar is crap. Its like a mediocre JG dungeon, but without the fun or the nostalgia factor.

I would respectfully disagree.  I've read everything published by JG, and this is far superior to most of what they published in the way of adventures (discounting stuff like CSIO, CSWE, Wilderlands, etc) except for stuff like Dark Tower, Caverns of Thracia.  But I can see why some people wouldn't like it.

Mike B.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:21 pm 

Badmike wrote:
deimos3428 wrote:
Badmike wrote:"You traverse another long hallway deep in the dungeon, carefully avoiding the noxious piles of ogre and orc dung strewn in hardening piles along the stone. Your eyes and nose burn with the stench as you stifle the urge to vomit after stepping in a particularly fresh load which comes up to your ankles and has the color of spinach and the consistency of hot fudge."

"With the exception of one suspiciously spotless 10' x 10' area directly in front of you...roll for surprise, please." If it weren't for the cubes, these places wouldn't be habitable for long.

Yeh, I suppose for added realism most published adventures should have least one Otyugh or Gelatinous Cube per dungeon level. Maybe Gary and co. should have invented a brand new monter way back in, similar to the Rust Monster, the Crap Monster? Now I could accept a dungeon with no disposal sites if the Crap Monster is crawling down the hall eating all the piles of dung.

Mike B.

None of Gary's dungeons needed this.  All they had to do was scoop all the nasty stuff into a pile in front of whatever strange purple and black veined altar they found and touch the damn thing and run.  The big violet and gold eyeball tentacle thing would pop out, look for the stupid jackass that touched it, and when it couldnt find 'em, would just make a nice little snack out of the pile of dung and offal it found in front of it.

Just think how it could have gone down in room 12 of level 2 in The Hall of the Fire Giant King.  The PC's hack down the Wall of Tentacles only to find Eclavdra sitting on the can taking a huge dump.  Somehow I dont see that making it past the editors.  8O

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:28 pm 

Seriously, poop in the dungeon? 8O That is a little realistic for my fantasy RPG taste. I am a hardcore 1st edition person and I am like Frank when it comes to trying to make the fantasy as real as possible(if that makes any sense), but I think poop in the dungeon is probably too literal and a bit much for my tastes. :?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:49 pm 

BOWL OF CRAPPING:

Originally created by the Archmage Gotasheeut-Nao for adventuring convenience, the Bowl of Crapping is an extremely useful item for any party. It appears as a tiny basin, roughly 1" in diameter. When the command word is spoken, it expands into a chamberpot 2' wide and 2 1/2' high. A second command word causes it to shrink back to 1". Any nonliving organic material that enters the bowl is immediately teleported to the Asstral Plane, and causes the bowl to cast a Remove Stench 10' Radius spell. Attached to the side of the bowl is a wire rack, which can be used to conjure any issue of Dragon magazine (2/day, duration 15 rounds).

30% of bowls have a cushioned seat permanently enchanted with the 2nd level magic-user spell Heat Buttocks.

XP Value: 3,000

GP Value: Priceless

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:20 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:BOWL OF CRAPPING:

Originally created by the Archmage Gotasheeut-Nao for adventuring convenience, the Bowl of Crapping is an extremely useful item for any party. It appears as a tiny basin, roughly 1" in diameter. When the command word is spoken, it expands into a chamberpot 2' wide and 2 1/2' high. A second command word causes it to shrink back to 1". Any nonliving organic material that enters the bowl is immediately teleported to the Asstral Plane, and causes the bowl to cast a Remove Stench 10' Radius spell. Attached to the side of the bowl is a wire rack, which can be used to conjure any issue of Dragon magazine (2/day, duration 15 rounds).

30% of bowls have a cushioned seat permanently enchanted with the 2nd level magic-user spell Heat Buttocks.

XP Value: 3,000

GP Value: Priceless

Dammit, boy, you are good!  I've been waiting a good-goddam-while for one of your Monster Manual entries.  But this is just as good.  Thanks for the laugh!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:31 pm 

Hey, I forgot. The 3E version adds +20 to all stats and skills, adds 500 HP, and gives the bonus feats of Extended Colon Cleansing and Ultra Digestion.

But only when you're sitting on it.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:51 am 

....and restores 1d10+2 hp just from the sheer relaxation after having used it. :D

All this talk of the unseen 'round' or two of a character's daily life adds a different dimension to the :

"does a bear sh*t in the woods? - see any brown rabbits?" quip.

maybe it sould be,

"do ogres sh*t  in the woods? See any worried halfling adventurers?" 8O

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:55 am 

Just out of curiosity, how many of you who are calling 3.0/3.5 "crap" have actually even *opened* the rulebooks, let alone read the rules?

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:01 am 

Feanor23x wrote:Just out of curiosity, how many of you who are calling 3.0/3.5 "crap" have actually even *opened* the rulebooks, let alone read the rules?

Damnit, I'm outta this thread...I know there's no winning THIS arguement with this pack of old-schoolers! ;)

There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:47 am 

I've DMed two separate campaigns, and played NWN online. Pretty sure I have a handle on the system.

Any system that has tumbling as a skill available to any character is inherently flawed. I won't even get into great cleave. Or use magic device. Or whirlwind. Or half mind flayers/half ogres. Or (insert favorite idiotic ability here.)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:23 am 

3e is a very well designed game for its intended playstyle and audience. I intensely dislike the style of play it best supports, however, so I don't play it any more. Also, it is a game written for gamers, which is basically a bad thing in my book. I have several 3e publication credits and ran the game as my home system for a couple of years before I came to my senses, so there you go - more than cracked the books, as it turns out.

Looking for your old-school fantasy roleplaying fix? Don't despair...Fight On! Check it out at http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/FightOn.

PreviousNext