Does size matter? Or are you about quality?
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:34 am 

Might as well add my two cents...interestingly enough, compared to you guys that is about what my collection is worth!

I like AD&D and D&D Basic Expert, I don't have any really rare stuff(crown jewel is a fighting wheel and 5th UK mentzer Basic rules....when they arrive, that is :D ...one beat up OCE and 4 supplements). My stuff is about 120 items, and I just got finished selling about 150 pieces so I could buy more stuff! Wish I hadn't sold it, though...got a very good price, but like the man says, games will get you through times of no money, but money won't get you through times with no games.... :cry: I am just starting to try for rare items, but I don't have the income to afford the hard core stuff. I have a library of "readables"- condition isn't important, and then a different collection of shrinked, which is pretty miniscule, only 30 items or so.

It's all so much fun!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:00 am 

I can't say that quantity is an issue. Because I collect PDFs, and digitizing maps can take a day or more with a small scanner, time is an issue, so quantity cannot be a priority. That said, so long as what I scan is clean and free of doodles/DMs notes, I can scan just fine, so I can't say quality is much of an issue either. I prefer to scan non-mint copies.

The minty stuff goes into my shop, and the good stuff goes up for auction. The good stuff stays in my collection, but I keep my collection small (a couple of boxed and a portable HD).

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:56 am 

...for me, sheer square-footage limits how much I can collect. Living in a small (actually tiny) flat (that's apartment to you guys across the Atlantic) means that I will inevitably go for quality over quantity.

I don't have a lot of (A)D&D but am starting to get buy more. I do have a good Call of Cthulhu collection - my favourite bits are some old Pagan Publishing items (e.g. Courting Madness) and the recent 20th Anniversary rulebook - I've got a Miskatonic University Library Edition and a Contributor's Edition. But I really love the old Chaosium adventures (which is pure nostalgia). I also have a fair bit of MERP which is almost all mint or near mint. Hmmm, I suppose I am a bit fussy when it comes to condition. :roll:

Many years ago, 1988 I think, I did an exchange year at University in the states (KU) and I remember from then, just how much S P A C E people had in their houses etc.. So, I am v. jealous when I see pics of your gaming / collection rooms. :D

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:00 am 

I collect D &D and 1E AD & D.  But I really prefer stuff with cover art I admire.  The early Dragons - #6 is one of my favorites.  I am a completist in terms of the modules for D & D and AD & D.  Bigger is not better, but it's not bad either.  Right now, after starting in January of 2005 I have ten full boxes of D & D and AD & D.

Martin

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:23 pm 

Harami,

I should clarify my post. Not everything I have is mint. Several of my original items - things I bought 25 years ago, are not mint or even close. You guys with weak stomachs better skip down to the next paragraph and not read the next sentence. I actually used my tournament version of Inverness for play - at least twice.

But when I buy stuff to fill collection holes, I try to get the best condition I can. Some things are just not possible to obtain in mint condition i.e. your Greyhawk.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:28 pm 

Well, I am unfortunately about both.  8O  My goal is to get at least one of everything and dups of all common modules, 1 Near Mint in shrink and 1 Near Mint opened.  Then there is all the non-TSR stuff that I have now started to collect too.... :oops:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:29 pm 

bbarsh wrote:I actually used my tournament version of Inverness for play - at least twice.

Did you make notes, too? Someone once asked me why I was bidding on a second PoVQ after I had just won my first. One to keep minty and one for writing on. :D

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:34 pm 

bclarkie wrote:My goal is to get at least one of everything and dups of all common modules, 1 Near Mint in shrink and 1 Near Mint opened.

You are my idol, BC!! :)

You're what I would like to be  :) ... and I know I cannot :cry:

No irony at all!! :D

I hope you'll reach your goal. truly  :D

Giorgio

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:35 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:
bbarsh wrote:I actually used my tournament version of Inverness for play - at least twice.

Did you make notes, too? Someone once asked me why I was bidding on a second PoVQ after I had just won my first. One to keep minty and one for writing on. :D

No, I never wrote in it. I always took great care of my modules and can say my Inverness is still in near mint shape.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:26 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Well, I am unfortunately about both. 8O My goal is to get at least one of everything and dups of all common modules, 1 Near Mint in shrink and 1 Near Mint opened. Then there is all the non-TSR stuff that I have now started to collect too.... :oops:

I'm gonna start calling you Aneoth Jr.  :wink:   I think I currently have one item in shrinkwrap and that is a copy of X1.  Hell, at the rate SW items are going for now on Ebay I could probably get $50 for it.  :P

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:36 pm 

Size doesn't really matter. At least my wife thinks so, thank God.

I'm almost done packing, ended up with 30 huge Sterilite buckets, not counting trade fodder. I offloaded a boatload of rare stuff a while back, since I really didn't have much use for them and I'd rather see them in appreciative hands.

I'm a much bigger fan of non-TSR stuff. Maps of ships and castles are my favorite, along with weird spellbooks like Infernax and town/city mods like Jonril and Tradervale (still hunting that one down). Pretty soon I'll be compiling all the spells I can find in every book I have into one volume.

I find I'm picking up a lot of boxed figurine sets ever since my son displayed an interest in painting them. Of course, purple ogres are somewhat less aggressive-looking, but heck, he enjoys it.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:44 am 

I will have to agree with BC and say both. I collect just about anything that is/was tsr d&d.

I didnt set out to have two of everything, but collecting print runs means I have 3 - 4 of many items. Thats what keeps it interesting and enjoyable for me.

I would say I actually have too much stuff, and it continues to grow almost daily. I see some ebay selling in my future  :lol:

Mike

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:27 pm 

well i guess i would say both, but since i am trying to get one of everything ever printed for frp from 1974-2003 , quantity would seem to be winning out. (my dear new wife with all of her closets filled with 230+ bankers boxes full of stuff would agree...). i do try to get stuff in great shape, but i will buy a holder until one comes along in better shape. i guess my pride and joy would be the personal brown boxes of rob kuntz, terry kuntz & tim kask ( i brought them to gencon this year & ken fonarow & frank mentzer asked me to display them in the glass cases at the auction, so some of you might have seen them there).

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:35 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Well, I am unfortunately about both. 8O My goal is to get at least one of everything and dups of all common modules, 1 Near Mint in shrink and 1 Near Mint opened. Then there is all the non-TSR stuff that I have now started to collect too.... :oops:

Don't you also need a third "reference" copy that is complete, but may have average to heavy wear?  That way you wouldn't risk damaging the NM copy when you wanted to reread a module or look up some tidbit that's on your mind . . .  :D

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:40 pm 

beyondthebreach wrote:you also need a third "reference" copy that is complete, but may have average to heavy wear? That way you wouldn't risk damaging the NM copy when you wanted to reread a module or look up some tidbit that's on your mind . . . :D

and where does it all end :)

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:44 pm 

RWilson wrote:I'm talkin' collections here, people! :D

Unless a thread of similar nature has been already opened, I am curious as to just what is out there in your collections? What do you collect primarily? (D&D basic? Advanced? Or are you one of those "If it has colour in it, I don't want it!" types....) Just HOW BIG is it? Tell us about your pride and joy....no baby pictures, though, unless the kid is named after something D&D related, you know, like Tiamat, Bahamut or maybe Blackrazor (good little girl's name if you ask me!)

Looking forward to what folks like out there.....

Rob

Mostly I collect TSR and Gen Con related stuff.  I used to be mint, mint, mint only.  But now I have a keen respect for items with names, highlighting, etc.  I especially like it when character sheets or other notes are in the books.  Or when there are names, etc. in them "To Eric from Auntie Jean and Uncle Rob on Christmas 1977." I do still like to have one "clean" copy for the collection though.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:28 pm 

stratochamp wrote:well i guess i would say both, but since i am trying to get one of everything ever printed for frp from 1974-2003 , quantity would seem to be winning out.  

Just curious, why is 2003 the cut-off point?  The switch to D&D 3.5?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:54 pm 

hi dathon, well i was originally going to get all of the frp listed in heroic worlds (which was up thru summer 1990), then thru 1993 (the first 20 years of d&d) then thru 12/31/99 (all frp of the 20th century), but when wotc published the 30 years of gaming book i thought that sounded like a good (and final !) cutoff point.

PreviousNext