Does size matter? Or are you about quality?
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:43 pm 

I'm talkin' collections here, people!  :D

Unless a thread of similar nature has been already opened, I am curious as to just what is out there in your collections? What do you collect primarily? (D&D basic? Advanced? Or are you one of those "If it has colour in it, I don't want it!" types....) Just HOW BIG is it? Tell us about your pride and joy....no baby pictures, though, unless the kid is named after something D&D related, you know, like Tiamat, Bahamut or maybe Blackrazor (good little girl's name if you ask me!)

Looking forward to what folks like out there.....

Rob

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:52 pm 

RWilson wrote:

Rob

i dont collect everything. simply cant afford to do so and wouldnt really want to.

i just like stuff thats different and its cool to have a smattering of rarities in all that too. really getting into the tournament modules now - i think they look fab and of course, i love the old judges guild stuff.

i also like tunnels & trolls, which i have a load of, as well as box sets of various games i can play with the kids.

a collection isnt about size or quality - its about enjoyment.

i enjoy the challenge of getting hold of an item - thats the best bit for me.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:00 pm 

I collect anything that is D&D or AD&D related.  It is usually only printed stuff or miniatures, no bedsheets, cups, pens etc.

I have over 1000 unique D&D/AD&D items, many rares and literally thousands of in package and loose miniatures.

Is bigger better, probably not, I just have a desire to collect all the stuff from the game that is a large part of my social life.

Later

J

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:45 pm 

RWilson wrote:I'm talkin' collections here, people! :D

Unless a thread of similar nature has been already opened, I am curious as to just what is out there in your collections? What do you collect primarily? (D&D basic? Advanced? Or are you one of those "If it has colour in it, I don't want it!" types....) Just HOW BIG is it? Tell us about your pride and joy....no baby pictures, though, unless the kid is named after something D&D related, you know, like Tiamat, Bahamut or maybe Blackrazor (good little girl's name if you ask me!)

Rob

My collection is actually quite pitiful, both in terms of quantity and condition.  So far, it consists of multiple printings of all the 1E rulebooks, OD&D, mono modules, and the occasional boxed set.  At the moment, I've developed UK print fever.

We all have our "niches" around here.  For me, nothing more exciting than comparing two printings and noting any minor differences on a Sunday afternoon.  At some point, I'm hoping if you ask me to quote the rules, I'll be able ask "which printing?".  :lol:

A close second is hunting for super-rares on eBay and elsewhere, at ridiculously low prices.  It will probably never happen again, but it's fun spending hours watching/plotting/praying.  Sort of like playing the lottery.  I am still waiting for my next $2 Tsojconth.  I even like looking for stuff that isn't for me, so if you're looking for something semi-rare, let me know.  I'll add it to my searching obsession.  

At the moment, I'm also working on an OCR-based difference between the 5th/6th printings.

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:16 pm 

I started a bit with commons early on and quickly realized that there was plenty of rare quality items to pretty much eat up all of my disposible cash on a continual basis.

So I only buy rare items when I can help it. As such I think I still have 1000 or so items. Plenty o' gems and a bit o' original art.  :wink:

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:37 pm 

My collection is born with italian items, in particular the 5 elmore boxed sets (even if immortal set is not translated in italian :cry: ).

A part from italian ones, now I'm collecting english D&D (and only D&D :) ) items possibly published by TSR.

I don't look for AD&D items, even if rare!!

On the other hand, while I need, for example, RPGA1 and 2 (by TSR :) ) I don't refuse a Daystar Rahasia (or a Dwarven Glory, if you prefer ... 8) ) if some of you wants to give me a present for Christmas :wink: :wink:

Cheers

Giorgio

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:39 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:We all have our "niches" around here.

Very true. Here's a confession: I don't own a single copy of any of the Acaem "rares." Not one. Nor do I plan to; most don't do anything for me ...

For me (and, I suspect, many others here), it's all about the nostalgia. Personally, that means anything with Otus art, anything about White Plume Mountain or the Demonweb, Dragon mags from #30 to #130, and other stuff that I won't bore you all with.

My "collection," such as it is, probably numbers fewer than 200 pieces (not including magazines). But they are all loved ...

Really, I'm probably done as soon as I get my hands on an OCE and complete my WPM obsession. But I'll still hang out here and continue to be bothersome ... :)

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:41 pm 

Hmm..prb a couple of u have already seen my collectio list

www.arielarchives.com/Brett/brett.xls

I tend to go for quantity, I much prefer to go for 20 modules than 1 expensive ones, although now I'm looking to fill some holes and its the expensive ones to fill em;)

Brette:)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:43 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:At the moment, I'm also working on an OCR-based difference between the 5th/6th printings.

Yer slacking tonight, Deimos :P

[5A]/5/6[n]/7[n]

deimos3428 wrote:My collection is actually quite pitiful, both in terms of quantity and condition.  So far, it consists of multiple printings of all the 1E rulebooks, OD&D, mono modules, and the occasional boxed set.  At the moment, I've developed UK print fever.

:D

*nods to all that*

=

(Still stumped on that GW PHB printing point, too, huh? :?)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:39 pm 

harami2000 wrote:
deimos3428 wrote:At the moment, I'm also working on an OCR-based difference between the 5th/6th printings.

Yer slacking tonight, Deimos :P

[5A]/5/6[n]/7[n]

Too true.  If the OCR wasn't returning so many damn false positives -- the diff files are actually larger than the original! -- I'd be done months ago.  Still a lot of manual checking but it saves a little time and improves my nerd-to-geek ratio slightly...

harami2000 wrote:(Still stumped on that GW PHB printing point, too, huh? :?)
I think we have it semi-resolved...won't be certain until I get my hands on a "2nd". ;)

YIM  

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:49 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:Still a lot of manual checking but it saves a little time and improves my nerd-to-geek ratio slightly...

Just slightly, huh? :lol:

deimos3428 wrote:
harami2000 wrote:(Still stumped on that GW PHB printing point, too, huh? :?)
I think we have it semi-resolved...won't be certain until I get my hands on a "2nd". ;)

Good, good... :)

Any fix to the print/release date on the MM whilst you're on those GW prints?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:08 pm 

harami2000 wrote:Any fix to the print/release date on the MM whilst you're on those GW prints?

Nope.  I've only got a single UK 3rd, which I think is fairly well established as 12/78...

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:12 pm 

I try to stay very focused on obtaining a few rare items that have been haunting me for years.  You can use up a lot of cash picking up smaller items here and there.  I'm definitely on the quality side, and am even amenable to paring down my collection just for the sake of getting rid of things that don't contribute more than clutter.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:19 pm 

afoolandhis$ wrote: You can use up a lot of cash picking up smaller items here and there.

That is very true. :oops:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:22 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:
harami2000 wrote:Any fix to the print/release date on the MM whilst you're on those GW prints?

Nope. I've only got a single UK 3rd, which I think is fairly well established as 12/78...

Yeah, that print sequence goes pretty well with notice of the release of the GW MM in WD #10 (Dec/Jan 78/79). Not...

Oh boy, they must've had problems there :P

Oops, digressing... sry ^^

=

*agrees with Stephen and Brian*

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:50 pm 

I am a quality guy. But I don't need, and generally don't buy, shrink items.

But my collecting parameter is not huge: 1st Edition AD&D, and (all basic) D&D sets and related items.

When I buy, it has to be near mint or damn close.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:00 pm 

bbarsh wrote:When I buy, it has to be near mint or damn close.

:cry:  :cry:  :cry:

Guess my "pre-pub"(:P) T1st Greyhawk ain't up to scratch, then? :(

(Yeah, I'm not quite so fussed about condition... :lol:).

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:34 pm 

I dont focus on one specific thing. I like to pick up what I can but I do tend to favor AD&D. Unfortunately I dont have a disposable cash reserve and I dont put any of my winnings on credit cards so I do have a tight budget. But I manage to pick up some decent stuff now and then. I have a few rares thanks to some swell people but none of the really expensive stuff like a woody or an Orange B3. I dont do duplicates or shrinkwrap and I dont care too much to have every printing of an item. Two Monster Manuals will work for me. :P

I guess I have about 300 items in my D&D collection and the rarest items are my copies of R1 and R2. Now if I can just bring myself to sell my comic book collection I will have plenty of money to complete my D&D collection. :D

And after seeing all the work that was put into the Judges Guild subweb, I just may have to start branching out and pick myself up a few JG items here and there.

Next