Hey, you got your 3.5 in my White Plume Mountain!
Author

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:39 pm 

Okay, WOTC is at it again with their conversions of classic modules; the victim this time is White Plume Montain (my all-time favorite 1e mod, if anyone is taking a poll).

Here's the scary part: it's really not that bad. And I have to admit ... I love the updated map. WPM fans, completionists, and people who love free stuff, I heartily endorse following the link below:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dn ... ILC-RSSDND

+++++

IMPORTANT NOTE: I am SO not looking for another 1e/3e debate here. My last WOTC thread (the one about the Tomb of Horrors conversion) turned into nine pages of nonsense. The only thing more boring than "my character" stories is "my edition" debates ...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:45 pm 

anyone got one of them yet?

shall be interesting what the monster balance in the mod turns out like. S2 in 1e was feckin damn hard i seem to remember.

Al

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:09 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:Okay, WOTC is at it again with their conversions of classic modules; the victim this time is White Plume Montain (my all-time favorite 1e mod, if anyone is taking a poll).

Here's the scary part: it's really not that bad. And I have to admit ... I love the updated map. WPM fans, completionists, and people who love free stuff, I heartily endorse following the link below:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dn ... ILC-RSSDND

+++++

IMPORTANT NOTE: I am SO not looking for another 1e/3e debate here. My last WOTC thread (the one about the Tomb of Horrors conversion) turned into nine pages of nonsense. The only thing more boring than "my character" stories is "my edition" debates ...

Well everyone already knows that 3rd edition sux anyways, so where was I with that story about my 20th level Elven Fighter/MU. :P {j/k}

Seriously though, I am a huge S2 fan so I will definitely have to check it out when I get home from work.  :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:01 pm 

Thanks for the pointer, Xaxaxe :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:02 pm 

I agree no edition wars.  Even if you HATE 3E conversions, look at this as an easy way to get the free S2 art gallery in nice format. :)

There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:16 pm 

So in the new one, the stats for Blackrazor would be:

+30 enhancement bonus

vorpal on 15-20

flaming (10-200 damage)

+20 to all skills

doubles user's HP

critical on a 12-20

summon Baalzebul 1/day

cast Destroy the World 1/day

can only be used by a lawful evil half-sprite/half kraken antipaladin/shadowdancer/high sorcerer

Sound about right?

I am seeing a trend here. Apparently WotC views the classic modules as better than anything they can write, so they are "updating" them. How interesting.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:29 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:Apparently WotC views the classic modules as better than anything they can write, so they are "updating" them. How interesting.

That's pretty accurate, Frank: for 3.x I look to Necromancer Games for my modules, since they're firmly grounded in OD&D/1e sensibilities. WotC's 3.0 modules were all crap, Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil included.

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:53 pm 

grodog wrote:
Deadlord36 wrote:Apparently WotC views the classic modules as better than anything they can write, so they are "updating" them. How interesting.

That's pretty accurate, Frank: for 3.x I look to Necromancer Games for my modules, since they're firmly grounded in OD&D/1e sensibilities. WotC's 3.0 modules were all crap, Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil included.

Good marketing Grodog!  Because of your suggestion, I just went on ebay and purchased Hall of the Rainbow Mage.  A total of $15.00 with shipping!  Yikes!  Can't remember the last time I just indulged and purchased straight from someone's store . . .  but, it was necromancergames themselves, and they have purchased several items from me in the past, so I figured what the hell . . .

I need something new to read anyway.  :D

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:11 pm 

beyondthebreach wrote:
grodog wrote:

Good marketing Grodog! Because of your suggestion, I just went on ebay and purchased Hall of the Rainbow Mage. A total of $15.00 with shipping! Yikes! Can't remember the last time I just indulged and purchased straight from someone's store . . . but, it was necromancergames themselves, and they have purchased several items from me in the past, so I figured what the hell . . .

I need something new to read anyway. :D

=)  

My favorite NG titles are Tomb of Abysthor, Demons & Devils, the Vault of Larin Karr, and the Crucible of Freya; they also published the first three of Rob Kuntz's Maze of Zayene d20 modules (we did the 4th, of course).  NG also has extensive online supplements for their earlier modules, including the above three; these expand the details in the module and make them even cooler/more fun/more useful :D

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:22 am 

I was never intrigued by NG mods...the other stuff like JG remakes and stuff seems interesting, and Tomb of Horrors was very cool (I'm still pissed that the update was a pdf only).  The NG do seem cool, even if they are manipulating the nostalgia of old time gamers for money. ;)  :P

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:30 am 

MrFilthyIke wrote:I was never intrigued by NG mods...the other stuff like JG remakes and stuff seems interesting, and Tomb of Horrors was very cool (I'm still pissed that the update was a pdf only). The NG do seem cool, even if they are manipulating the nostalgia of old time gamers for money. ;) :P

i have tried to get into this concept of reading/using the updated modules, but it just doesnt work for me.

i like the material pretty much, but the rest just leaves me cold.

not necessarily d20 or NG, but the mayfair update of CSIO was a prime example of how it can all go wrong imo

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:51 am 

killjoy32 wrote:not necessarily d20 or NG, but the mayfair update of CSIO was a prime example of how it can all go wrong imo

Makes sense to me, especially since there weren't any JG folks involved with the Briarwood CSIO; I've heard very good things about the NG Wilderlands boxed set (and I have flipped through it, too:  it's very impressive).  

Briarwood, along with the other later-era JG books are why I never got into them back in the day.  I traded my Briarwood as part of a lot along with my Mayfair Games "Lair of the Spidermother" prepub to Mike Kuo for his Warriors of Mars a couple of years ago.

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:29 am 

yeah i have heard shane and some of the other guys on the JG threads raving about the wilderlands box set. i really must get around to having a look at that at some point.

from my perspective tho, it would be more the maps, material and the product generally that would interest me really, rather than the d20 element of it, but even still, it sounds like its a good buy one way or the other.

wondering what the caverns of thracia one is like, and i dunno if its available yet, but they were remaking inferno too? that would prb be quite cool

on another note tho, anyone aware of any other plans that are afoot for other conversions of old material? what modules might we look forward to seeing (or dreading, whichever way you look at it)...

Al

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:45 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:yeah i have heard shane and some of the other guys on the JG threads raving about the wilderlands box set. i really must get around to having a look at that at some point.

from my perspective tho, it would be more the maps, material and the product generally that would interest me really, rather than the d20 element of it, but even still, it sounds like its a good buy one way or the other.

The only gripe I've heard (but don't share) is that the maps are double sided. NG had to keep price down on this since they were not doing that large of a print run (2000). There is very little d20 content, can easily be ignored really and is not a distraction to the material at all.

If you have to buy one d20 related thing (box set..cause I hear some of you buy that Worlds Largest Dungeon) this year then it should be this.

killjoy32 wrote:wondering what the caverns of thracia one is like, and i dunno if its available yet, but they were remaking inferno too? that would prb be quite cool

on another note tho, anyone aware of any other plans that are afoot for other conversions of old material? what modules might we look forward to seeing (or dreading, whichever way you look at it)...

Al

Caverns of Thracia: This has been d20ized..true to the original by maps and room numbers, but honestly if you don't care for d20 then even I would say you could pass (Though I love all things NG and JG)

Regarding Inferno..a couple of quotes from Geoff Dale

In June "I have finished the update through the end of the Fourth Circle (the end of the original Inferno), and have started across the Styx towards the Walls of Dis on the Fifth Circle. The text is still in draft form and needs some polishing and editing, but all the major elements are there, and it's better organized than was the original. I'd like to say the update as a whole is better than the original but I may be biased about that."

End of November  "I finally finished the Seventh Circle. It grew out of control and seemed like it took eternity. Still to do,

Eighth Circle (10% done)

Ninth Circle

Escape from Inferno

Palace of the King Samael

Earl or Duke's Palace

then,

3E Conversion"

Not sure who is going to release this..but he's working on it.

And regarding Rallu, City State of the Sea Kings from Chris Bernhardt

"Rallu is coming along nicely. I have most recently been adjusting things to match necessary printing requirements. Just to let you know the City State project covers the whole isle of the blest (the boot shaped isle that covers 3 maps) and will have lots of new goodies to enhance any campaign. We hope to have it ready soon."

Also Tegel is being done by Necromancer Games (likely in the later half of 2006).

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:52 pm 

Plaag wrote:
Regarding Inferno..a couple of quotes from Geoff Dale

In June "I have finished the update through the end of the Fourth Circle (the end of the original Inferno), and have started across the Styx towards the Walls of Dis on the Fifth Circle. The text is still in draft form and needs some polishing and editing, but all the major elements are there, and it's better organized than was the original. I'd like to say the update as a whole is better than the original but I may be biased about that."

End of November "I finally finished the Seventh Circle. It grew out of control and seemed like it took eternity. Still to do,

Eighth Circle (10% done)

Ninth Circle

Escape from Inferno

Palace of the King Samael

Earl or Duke's Palace

then,

3E Conversion"

Not sure who is going to release this..but he's working on it.

well this is one item i really look forward to seeing and i really hope that whatever is done to it, it gives the product justice - i just wish they would release a version BEFORE its converted.

Al

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:33 am 

killjoy32 wrote:well this is one item i really look forward to seeing and i really hope that whatever is done to it, it gives the product justice - i just wish they would release a version BEFORE its converted.

While I wish they could for you guys, it's not economicaly feasible...though maybe AFTER it's been out for a while, you can get them to release it as a PDF...but no maps or book goodness. :(

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:42 am 

So the new JG stuff is 3E?

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:03 am 

Deadlord36 wrote:So the new JG stuff is 3E?

From Necromancer games yes, Inferno is going to be (though I don't know the publisher), and Rallu I'm not sure what edition or publisher.

ShaneG.