The TSR / WotC Library
Author

** Banned **

Post Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:50 pm 

There is an ongoing investigation at WOTC led by John R into some pretty rare modules that have gone missing over the last several weeks. The folks in the FAA "A" building have already been interviewed. It seems that the WOTC store held some of these modules in a small safe and it has turned up missing.

I am not sure which modules are missing as that info doesnt make it this low on the foodchain however I am informed that a private investigation team has been hired to look into this further and that security camera's on the buildings are being looked at. The library is currently located in the "B" building where most of the D&D game as well as miniatures and MTG are located.

I would be very leery of buying anything with a TSR sticker on it. I will post more as I hear it. 8O

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:04 pm 

With a TSR sticker or WotC sticker?

This is a bit early for April Fools.....

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:19 pm 

yellowone wrote:I am not sure which modules are missing as that info doesnt make it this low on the foodchain

I'm quite certain that the foodchain doesn't extend all the way to Winter Park, Florida, where you're posting from.  Besides which, John Rateliff was laid off from Wizards of the Coast on Wednesday, so I don't think he's leading any of their investigations.

Banned.

Foul

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:59 pm 

Amazingly enough, the bidder who was hassling all the resellers was located somewhere out in that area of Florida. Hmmm, could it be a coincidence? :roll:  Either way, just when you think people can't get any dumber......

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:01 am 

I'm sure he is referring to my items I have on ebay right now. I haven't been an employee of WOTC for over five years ago. I suggest people start doing there homework before any finger pointing starts.

The funny thing is I met with John prior to getting my items as John went through all the TSR pallets of archives for WOTC.

I'll be happy to answer any and all questions, cause I've got nothing to hide and I got all my items legit!

Dave

"If at first you don't succeed, pay someone else to do it." -upper management

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:22 am 

geomendez wrote:I'm sure he is referring to my items I have on ebay right now. I haven't been an employee of WOTC for over five years ago. I suggest people start doing there homework before any finger pointing starts.

The funny thing is I met with John prior to getting my items as John went through all the TSR pallets of archives for WOTC.

I'll be happy to answer any and all questions, cause I've got nothing to hide and I got all my items legit!

Dave

dave

tbh i dont think anyone here is doubting you one single bit.

the other guy however  :?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:20 am 

It will be interesting if someone from Florida is bidding on your items Geo. (Just in case this guy is actually trying to keep the final price down).

Don't want to make you paranoid or anything about people from Florida though! :lol:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:29 am 

Hi Dave!

Without highlighting the basis of this thread, I wanted to ask a couple of questions out of nothing more than curiousity. I did think of your current auctions when I first opened the thread and was glad that you came into it to make yourself available.

You have some very cool items up for sale and have sold many more in the past. They are garnering killer prices indeed. It is interesting to hear/see the R series stuff up now with a claim of the item being the first back from the printer, etc. Could you please share the story of how you came into possession of such items?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:39 pm 

The story is as exciting as one might think. I've been collecting for about 10 years prior to me working at Wizards, so some of these items I've had for years.

I was at WOTC when they bought TSR. TSR sent about 12(?) pallets of product from thier archives and offices. When they got to WOTC the product room was given the task of unloading and going through the pallets. I offered to help unoad the pallets and organize the products as I knew too much about D&D products. LOL! After unloading the pallets John and other TSR people in charge of the achives came through and took copies of what ever WOTC didn't already have in the archives.

Once that was done all the extra product was put up for sale to WOTC employees. Because I had done 90% of the work on my own time, I was allowed to pick stuff that I wanted first.

So there you have it.

Dave

Verbose Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:11 pm 

geomendez wrote:The story is as exciting as one might think. I've been collecting for about 10 years prior to me working at Wizards, so some of these items I've had for years.

I was at WOTC when they bought TSR. TSR sent about 12(?) pallets of product from thier archives and offices. When they got to WOTC the product room was given the task of unloading and going through the pallets. I offered to help unoad the pallets and organize the products as I knew too much about D&D products. LOL! After unloading the pallets John and other TSR people in charge of the achives came through and took copies of what ever WOTC didn't already have in the archives.

Once that was done all the extra product was put up for sale to WOTC employees. Because I had done 90% of the work on my own time, I was allowed to pick stuff that I wanted first.

So there you have it.

Dave

Wow, 12 pallets!  It's a shame all of the editing copies couldn't have remained together.  It would be nice to know how each one of the products evolved.

Do you know how much of it was kept and how much, and roughly what was kept, and what distributed/sold?  Also, were they labeled at that time as to what they were?  I ask, because some of the editing/library copies I've obtained have dates that don't seem consistent with when they should have been placed in the library.

Any additional details you could provide would be appreciated. :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:12 pm 

While digging around in the archived material, did you see anything extraordinary?  :D

Was there a difference between TSR's library and archive? I understand the library was very intensive including other rpg items by other makers.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:54 pm 

To be honest its been a while, I do remember seeing a couple of items similar to what Ihave up that I was "like wow!"

I'll be putting up D&D cartoon kids PJ's soon....

I know both WOTC and TSR had their own library/archive (Same thing really) of all types of RPGS. We tried to keep one of everything printed in order to make sure ideas were fresh or maintain continunity. The WOTC library was very extensive.

As far as how TSR numbered labeled thier library, I have not a clue. LOL!

I've seen up to 5 or 6 copies of each print kept at TSR, Wotc only kept one ot two if memory serves me right.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:51 am 

Would you guys get mad at me if I bought the kids PJs for my daughter and let her wear them? :D

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:29 am 

DungeonDelver wrote:Would you guys get mad at me if I bought the kids PJs for my daughter and let her wear them? :D

I think you should!  But then, I also think we should start the "War on Shrinkwrap", which I'm sure makes a lot of guys shudder.

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:57 am 

Out of fairness to Dave (geomendez), maybe we should change the title of this thread.  He's got some really interesting info, but it's hidden under this egregious title by yellowone.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:58 am 

deimos3428 wrote:
DungeonDelver wrote:Would you guys get mad at me if I bought the kids PJs for my daughter and let her wear them? :D

I think you should! But then, I also think we should start the "War on Shrinkwrap", which I'm sure makes a lot of guys shudder.

Hehehehe...I see a lot of Comic Book Guy-like thromboses if we did that. ;)