New Member/question
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:44 pm 

Hi,

I have been lurking for a while and did not realise before I found the forum the interest there was in collecting as a hobby in itself. I have a feeble amount of stuff - now I'm recollecting everything after selling it in the past. The most 'collectable' stuff I had was my Planescape boxes, which I miss. Now I'm trying to rebuild my 1st Edition stuff and I'm just realising that it's quite hard getting stuff in really good condition. I sold my Call of Cthulhu 'Horror on the Orient Express' for £70 UK pounds which I thought was a LOT of money!

My question is about an old D&D supplement I used to have - one of the first I ever bought. It was called Blackmoor, and was printed on vellum-style brownish paper with what looked like an old woodcut drawing on the cover (if I remember correctly). Does anyone remember this item, and was it TSR or not? I have a vague feeling it was Judges Guild, which would explain why I can't find it in the product list!

Hope I'm not on the wrong forum here. Now there's loads I'm dying to get my hands on... Thanks to those who have already helped me without knowing it from reading their posts

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:53 pm 

Hi there and welcome to the forum. :)   The item you refer to is in fact a TSR suplement that came out in 1975.  For reference it is covered by this site here:

http://www.acaeum.com/DDIndexes/SetPage ... ments.html

Hope that helps. :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:57 pm 

The main forum page should contain links you are looking for.  Blackmoor is under Rulebooks for future reference.

Take a look . . .  I remember when I first started visiting the Acaeum - I didn't even know there was anything before the Basic (Red Dragon) box set.  I thought it was the first D&D product followed by the PH, MM and DMG!

The things you learn . . .  :D

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:09 pm 

Hi Dangermouse. Welcome to the forum. Blackmoor crops up on eBay quite regularily in all sorts of conditions and prices.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . minestrone soup.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:18 pm 

welcome to the forum DM! hope you enjoy your stay here. the topics generally cover a massive scope of products and you will learn a lot believe me!

you can also use the search option at the top of the forum here and maybe do a search for "blackmoor" - it has been discussed many times and might also help you in your search :)

Alan

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:24 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Hi there and welcome to the forum. :) The item you refer to is in fact a TSR suplement that came out in 1975. For reference it is covered by this site here:

http://www.acaeum.com/DDIndexes/SetPage ... ments.html

Hope that helps. :)

It was definately not that one -

It was a large format book, with a map insert. It had the details of Blackmoor and some maps of a fairly hefty dungeon. Now that I think about it I'm pretty sure it was Judges Guild. My recollection is pretty sketchy I know.

*edit* ...I'll have a search and see what I come up with, thanks!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:29 pm 

First Fantasy Campaign, perhaps?

http://keltic71.tripod.com/Universal-Fa ... paign.html

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:31 pm 

zhowar1 wrote:First Fantasy Campaign, perhaps?

http://keltic71.tripod.com/Universal-Fa ... paign.html

YES!

Seak and ye shall find - I searched:

http://www.geocities.com/havardfaa/firstfantasy.html

I'm pretty sure it was that one. It was in very good condition I seem to remember. Thanks for the help. I seem to remember it was a real blast from the past.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:50 pm 

Danger Mouse wrote:
I'm pretty sure it was that one. It was in very good condition I seem to remember. Thanks for the help. I seem to remember it was a real blast from the past.

well DM they crop up on ebay fairly often. they are not very hard to get hold of, but they are also quite popular, so you might have a fight to get one :)

keep an eye out on the "judges guild" thread. someone will normally list it there if one crops up.

Alan

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:51 pm 

Hi DM.

JG37 First Fantasy Campaign goes for between $30 and $60 a hit, depending on condition and interest at the time. If you keep an eye on the Judges Guild section of Acaeum, you'll see in the 'Interesting Judges Guild Items on eBay' where we post auctions we've spotted that collectors may be interested in.

You could also try Killjoy32. He may have a spare. He's the UK's biggest JG dealer, aren't you, Alan. :wink:

This week I've been mostly eating . . . minestrone soup.

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:58 pm 

I have just bought from Killjoy32 - little did I know about this forum. I got the module (A3 shrinkwrapped) by return of post - I was well impressed. I'm not a Judges Guild freak, but I do want to replace love well-loved items I used to have. Time to head on over for a look at the JG forum.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:35 pm 

Danger Mouse wrote:

YES!

:D

Glad you found it!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:43 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:

You could also try Killjoy32. He may have a spare. He's the UK's biggest JG dealer, aren't you, Alan. :wink:

i might have a few JG books knocking about in the back room  :oops:  :D

i think i have a few FFC's lying about somewhere. i have at least one, maybe 3 or 4, need to check.

Al

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:25 pm 

I just caught this one. When he said "woodcut", I immediately thought of FFC.

I'll rummage thru my spares and see if I have one.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:12 pm 

Just as an FYI to everyone, the JG pages accessible thru the link are decent references, but by no means 100% accurate. There are at least 3 printings of FFC.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:19 am 

Thought I'd be helpful and echo a bit of what Deadlord just said.  The new Judges Guild subweb is *almost* ready for primetime; we're putting the finishing touches on it right now.  Here's what it has to say about FFC (courtesy of Shane, of course!)

Printing Information

Note: Cover states 88 pages, a misprint that unfortunately does not make it more valuable since they all have it.  Booty List states 92 pages.  Heroic Worlds states 96 pages.

1st Printing (1977):  Cover print is a very dark red, has no index number and a large $7.98, along with the words "First Fantasy campaign playing aid by Dave Arneson, Judges Guild". Thanks to Alan Silcock for help with this info, and to Alan Silcock for the scan.

2nd Printing (1979):  96 Pages with pages only numbered 1 to 92.  Now has the price at the bottom of the cover.  Title page states "2nd printing".

3rd Printing (1980):  64 pages.  Price at the bottom of the cover is hard to read.

Foul