The geekiest thing you've ever done ...
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 21, 2
Author


Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 2884
Joined: Nov 04, 2004
Last Visit: May 09, 2020

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:12 pm 
 

Okay, so there's been a lot of talk about artwork lately (originals, the DCC covers, our favorite pieces, etc., etc.), so I decided to throw out an artwork-related challenge: can anyone beat this for sheer, love-of-D&D, kind-of pointless geekery?



Image



What you're looking at is a 28-page book of my favorite Erol Otus pieces, made by yours truly using Apple's iPhoto software and the Apple book-printing program (side note: this is a really neat way to make nice coffee-table-style books; if anyone needs details, feel free to PM me). It is tiny, but cool; the ruler and 20-sided die** are provided for scale.



That's the geekiest thing I've ever done: print a book of art by a semi-retired artist known only in gaming circles. My question to you: have you ever done anything D&D-related that is geekier?



Let's make it a contest. Post your uber-geek moment here, and I'll eventually pick a winner. As a fabulous prize, I will award a copy of the book in the photo above (I ordered extras), mailed anywhere in the world free of charge. If you're an EO fan, I think you'd like it: it is pure fanboy adulation.



There's only two rules: 1. Your geek moment cannot have been for profit of any kind; 2. Your 100-page campaign setting written when you were 13 doesn't count. We all wrote 100-page campaign settings when we were 13 ... :)



+++++



** That's "Old Blue," BTW — I've been rolling with him since 1981. Note that his 20 is pointing up ... good boy, Blue!

 WWW  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 590
Joined: Nov 10, 2002
Last Visit: Oct 15, 2020
Location: NYC

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:19 pm 
 

Take out teh sword and attack pumpkins before, during, and after halloween.  :lol:



I slayed a lot of orange monsters that year.


"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

  


Active Collector

Posts: 26
Joined: Nov 22, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 09, 2008
Location: Atlanta, Georgia

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:05 pm 
 

Don't know if I can top the Otus book but here it goes...





I met my first girlfriend in high school over a game of D&D.  I wanted to do something special to commemorate this auspicious event so, in shop class, I drilled holes through an entire set of dice.  Then I made a bracelet using beads, hemp, and this set of dice.  



She kept it after we broke up   :(



Women.  Always keeping the jewlery.


"Always looking for that boxed set feeling"

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7946
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Feb 24, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:53 am 
 

Babydragon wrote:Don't know if I can top the Otus book but here it goes...





I met my first girlfriend in high school over a game of D&D. I wanted to do something special to commemorate this auspicious event so, in shop class, I drilled holes through an entire set of dice. Then I made a bracelet using beads, hemp, and this set of dice.



She kept it after we broke up  :(



Women. Always keeping the jewlery.




    I'm sure someone will have done something far geekier than this.  I first discovered D&D spring of 1979.  A guy moved from New Jersey to here and Texas and told us all about this great new game. We started gaming right before school let out for the summer ( I was in 10th grade I believe?).  My core group was myself, my brother, my best friend, and the guy that introduced us to the game, but there were every imaginable number of hangers on also.  

   We played every single day that summer.

    Well, maybe not literally EVERY day.  But a typical day would go like this: Get up, do whatever chores or whatever you had to do before you could do what you wanted, then we'd play D&D all day long.  Sometimes into the night. Sometimes we'd stay over each others house and play ALL night.  I still have desk top calendars going back 30 years ( I save everything) and there wasn't a week the summer of 1978 we didn't play at least five to seven days.  We were the poster children of "My child is into this weird new game that is like a cult or something".  Except I suspect our parents were quite happy to have us locked in a room all day instead of creating mischief somewhere.

  Well, that's  the setup for this:the geekiest thing I ever did...For two weeks that summer, my family rented a beachfront condo on South Padre Island.  I managed to finagle my best friend into coming along also.  The ENTIRE two weeks we were at the beach, me, my best friend and my brother did NOT go out surfing, beachcombing, building sand castles, picking up chicks, whatever. No, being the healthy robust teenagers we were, we spent the entire two weeks inside the condo in the back room playing G2 Glacial Rift of the Frost Giant Jarl.  This despite impassioned pleas by my parents to go out to the beach day after day.  We finally relented after about the first week, but got so sunburned that day we had an excuse for staying in the rest of the time instead of going out again "But mom, I'm burnt to a crisp, I can't go out there again!"  

    As I remember, the Frost Giant's rift was thoroughly looted and destroyed, and my other friend who had to stay behind in Dallas was incredibly pissed and jealous when we finally got back into town.  We three thought it was a vacation well spent.



Mike B.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7946
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Feb 24, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:02 am 
 

Badmike wrote:
Babydragon wrote:Don't know if I can top the Otus book but here it goes...





I met my first girlfriend in high school over a game of D&D. I wanted to do something special to commemorate this auspicious event so, in shop class, I drilled holes through an entire set of dice. Then I made a bracelet using beads, hemp, and this set of dice.



She kept it after we broke up :(



Women. Always keeping the jewlery.




  I'm sure someone will have done something far geekier than this. I first discovered D&D spring of 1979. A guy moved from New Jersey to here and Texas and told us all about this great new game. We started gaming right before school let out for the summer ( I was in 10th grade I believe?). My core group was myself, my brother, my best friend, and the guy that introduced us to the game, but there were every imaginable number of hangers on also.

 We played every single day that summer.

  Well, maybe not literally EVERY day. But a typical day would go like this: Get up, do whatever chores or whatever you had to do before you could do what you wanted, then we'd play D&D all day long. Sometimes into the night. Sometimes we'd stay over each others house and play ALL night. I still have desk top calendars going back 30 years ( I save everything) and there wasn't a week the summer of 1978 we didn't play at least five to seven days. We were the poster children of "My child is into this weird new game that is like a cult or something". Except I suspect our parents were quite happy to have us locked in a room all day instead of creating mischief somewhere.

 Well, that's the setup for this:the geekiest thing I ever did...For two weeks that summer, my family rented a beachfront condo on South Padre Island. I managed to finagle my best friend into coming along also. The ENTIRE two weeks we were at the beach, me, my best friend and my brother did NOT go out surfing, beachcombing, building sand castles, picking up chicks, whatever. No, being the healthy robust teenagers we were, we spent the entire two weeks inside the condo in the back room playing G2 Glacial Rift of the Frost Giant Jarl. This despite impassioned pleas by my parents to go out to the beach day after day. We finally relented after about the first week, but got so sunburned that day we had an excuse for staying in the rest of the time instead of going out again "But mom, I'm burnt to a crisp, I can't go out there again!"

  As I remember, the Frost Giant's rift was thoroughly looted and destroyed, and my other friend who had to stay behind in Dallas was incredibly pissed and jealous when we finally got back into town. We three thought it was a vacation well spent.



Mike B.




    Oh hell I forgot the best part of the story.  After staying there a few days, my best friend and I were walking a pool area of a nearby hotel and saw a group of girls we knew from high school, including a couple of incredibly hot asian girls that normally would never have even talked to us.  However, since we weren't in the crippling atmosphere of high school we ended up talking to them and having a great time that day, and gave them our condo room number before going back to what else, kill some more frost giants.  That night the girls came by to invite us to a party (some kind of Hawaiian themed dinner) at their hotel, but at that moment we were right at a climatic part of the adventure where the party was battling the two white dragons in the lower level and actually told the girls we would come over later but right now we were busy with something really important....

  God, we were such stupid homos....



Mike B.

 WWW  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1709
Joined: Feb 04, 2004
Last Visit: Aug 23, 2016
Location: Chandler, AZ

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:24 pm 
 

I posted this a long time ago on the acaeum in another thread . . . here it is again:





X2 is also part of the "geekiest" Dungeons & Dragons incident of the my life. I've been holding back this confession for a long time and it is time to actually let it out. . .



. . . Back in 6th grade my friends and I used to play D&D on our recess period. Our teacher (I forget his name) took notice and between me, my friends and him it was suggested that we play the game in front of the class and he would give us extra credit. . .



So. . . I was the DM and Greg, Steve, Wade & Tom were the players. We proceeded to play D&D at a large table set up for us while the rest of the class was gathered around. . . and our teacher let us play for over 2 hours! As you can imagine. . . not one person was interested (if any of them had been, they'd have been playing with us to begin with). Absolute boredom and blank stares surrounded us. . . I don't think any of us cared at first, but towards the end it did start to get a little. . . :oops:  :oops:



But, what the hell? We got to play D&D for the afternoon and he gave us all an A+ in extra credit.  







Well, that's one possibility.  I also posted this a ways back on yet another thread:





Now, before I tell this, you must remember, that I started playing D&D when I was 9 years old.  Sometime over the next few years (let's say I was around 11), my friend Greg decided to tease me a little bit because I liked to. . . um. . . I liked to . . . watch. . .



. . . the. . . ummm. . .



the Smurfs. . .  :oops:



Actually, I would watch it everyday after school (and on Saturday mornings).  So he made a little adventure where some of my characters found themselves "shrunk" down to miniature size and in the land of the Smurfs.  It was actually quite fun. . . Big Mouth was an Ogre and, of course, Gargamel the evil Wizard we had to overcome.  



Greg also made the Smurfs into quite interesting NPC's.  If you think about it, the Smurfs really do adapt well to D&D - Papa Smurf is a Magic-User as is Brainy.  Hefty is a Fighter, Tracker is a Ranger, Poet is a Bard, Jokey is a Thief and Smurfette the perennial "damsel in distress".



So, there you go. . . one more skeleton from my closet of "not so proud" D&D moments.  



(But, it was still fun!)    8)





I Can't decide which was more geeky . . .


"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 125
Joined: Oct 27, 2003
Last Visit: Aug 23, 2017
Location: Atop a heap of slain orcs

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:36 pm 
 

Hey Adam,



I'm a pumpkin hacker from way back....I used to blow away fridges and old washing machines at the local dump but when ammo fell short, out came the Holy Avenger Vorpal Louisville Slugger.  



Guess it's no surprise that I was never any good at playing magic-users.....



Keep the label up when you swing....

  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Dec 25, 2019

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:54 pm 
 

beyondthebreach wrote:
Well, that's one possibility. I also posted this a ways back on yet another thread:





Now, before I tell this, you must remember, that I started playing D&D when I was 9 years old. Sometime over the next few years (let's say I was around 11), my friend Greg decided to tease me a little bit because I liked to. . . um. . . I liked to . . . watch. . .



. . . the. . . ummm. . .



the Smurfs. . . :oops:



Actually, I would watch it everyday after school (and on Saturday mornings). So he made a little adventure where some of my characters found themselves "shrunk" down to miniature size and in the land of the Smurfs. It was actually quite fun. . . Big Mouth was an Ogre and, of course, Gargamel the evil Wizard we had to overcome.



Greg also made the Smurfs into quite interesting NPC's. If you think about it, the Smurfs really do adapt well to D&D - Papa Smurf is a Magic-User as is Brainy. Hefty is a Fighter, Tracker is a Ranger, Poet is a Bard, Jokey is a Thief and Smurfette the perennial "damsel in distress".



So, there you go. . . one more skeleton from my closet of "not so proud" D&D moments.



(But, it was still fun!) 8)





I Can't decide which was more geeky . . .




Sh*t if the Smurfs are geeky then count me in. I absolutely loved the Smufs as a kid and to be quite honest, if they were still on TV today I would still watch them. :) I can say that I never had a D&D or made a D&D adventure from the Smurfs, but hell who cares. I am 32 years old and I would still watch cartoons on TV if there any ones out there that I actually found interesting. I wish that there were some of my childhood faves still on TV, it would probably save me from perusing Ebay as often as I do. :?


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3794
Joined: Feb 23, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 11, 2021

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:27 pm 
 

My mom caught me masturbating to one of those fairly arousing drawings in the Basic Rules - a chick in chainmail or something, with erect nipples.



Nahhh, even though I'm sure that would win, I can't bring myself to lie just for that cool book.  (Hmmm, now that I think about it, maybe I'll get that old book out again just to make sure that's the drawing I'm thinking of....rrrriiiiight.)



Okay, here's the real story:  growing up on a farm, I had a horse, a blind Arabian.  I think I was about 13 at the time, and had my girlfriend over to go horseback riding.  But I somehow got the idea that it would be really cool to show her the authentic wooden shortsword I had made (I often took it along on D&D night).  I got up on my horse, bareback without bridle or reins, to show my girlfriend how you in D&D could make a slashing, mounted attack, and started swinging the sword in an arc with my left hand.  I accidentally swatted the horse on the flank, and as you can imagine a blind horse might do, it bucked and bolted.  I was thrown clear, and the last thing I remembered was hitting the ground VERY hard.  I couldn't breathe, or remember where I was, or how I had gotten there, or even what day it was.  Needless to say, that relationship didn't last long.  But the sword did.  I eventually gave it to one of my nephews, who also took up D&D.

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5625
Joined: Jun 30, 2003
Last Visit: Feb 23, 2021
Location: New Hampsha

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:56 pm 
 

Well, all I can think of immediately is the time I drank most of a fifth of Seagram's V.O. when a bunch of us were camping. I eventually hallucinated and used the firewood ax to slay a whole horde of frost giants, according to the spectators. All four of us had been playing D&D and drinking that night, so it was perfectly understandable, except for the fact that we were playing L1. No one was brave (or stupid) enough to try and stop me. I'm told I eventually tired out and sat back down.

Thankfully there were no chicks with us. If word had ever gotten out, I'd have never sheathed my sword again till post-college.


If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

 WWW  


Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 2884
Joined: Nov 04, 2004
Last Visit: May 09, 2020

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:56 pm 
 

afoolandhis$ wrote:My mom caught me masturbating to one of those fairly arousing drawings in the Basic Rules - a chick in chainmail or something, with erect nipples.




Okay, make that three rules. No ... uh ... well, um ... no touching oneself!



afoolandhis$ wrote:even though I'm sure that would win




... you're right, it probably would have. :)

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6207
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 25, 2021
Location: UK

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:59 pm 
 

afoolandhis$ wrote:My mom caught me masturbating to one of those fairly arousing drawings in the Basic Rules - a chick in chainmail or something, with erect nipples.


.....and that was just last week!


This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6207
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 25, 2021
Location: UK

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:02 pm 
 

Xaxaxe wrote:There's only two rules: 1. Your geek moment cannot have been for profit of any kind; 2. Your 100-page campaign setting written when you were 13 doesn't count. We all wrote 100-page campaign settings when we were 13 ... :)


What about buying someone else's 100 page campaign setting for $150? Does that count?


This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

 WWW  


Prolific Collector
Subweb Admin
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 199
Joined: Feb 06, 2005
Last Visit: Aug 12, 2017
Location: The Outlands

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:43 pm 
 

This is kind of a girly geeky thing, but I sew dolls of my D&D characters.



In fact, I made some for a friend last Christmas, too. Her little Loviatarian Paingiver, complete with scourge accessory as well as her favorite tiefling NPC in another campaign, complete with mini cubic gate (which was a blank d6 painted gold with some cute little clock gears glued to it).   :D


Waterdeep? Never heard of it.

               -Factol Pentar, Doomguard

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 590
Joined: Nov 10, 2002
Last Visit: Oct 15, 2020
Location: NYC

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:06 pm 
 

:lol: mbating to D&D books.


"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

  

User avatar

Prolific Collector

Posts: 772
Joined: Feb 21, 2003
Last Visit: Jun 22, 2018
Location: Spokane, WA

Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:01 am 
 

Heheheheheh....my sides are killing me.....whats are Smuphs? :lol:


"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6720
Joined: Jul 16, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 02, 2021

Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:13 am 
 

I believe the geekiest thing I ever did was go nuts and collect every Judges Guild fantasy publication available on Ebay...and then start in on Thieves Guild...and Role Aids....and.....



    ....Wait, I'm still doing that.   :oops:


"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Dec 25, 2019

Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:39 am 
 

Kosh Vorlontay wrote:Heheheheheh....my sides are killing me.....whats are Smuphs? :lol:




Oops, thought I fixed that. :oops:


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1787
Joined: Apr 26, 2005
Last Visit: Aug 04, 2020
Location: Indianapolis

Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:51 am 
 

Well on the geekyness factor scale I guess I do not rate that high.  I just cannot think of anything that even remotely is similar to what your experiences are.



Me and my friends would stay up all night playing D & D during the summer, that's it.  Nothing weird, no slightly eschew sexual experiences, no dolls, no crazed horses, or buying of buddies champaings (no of my buddies ever made champaings).



I've lived an incredible boring life.





Martin

  


Verbose Collector

Posts: 1652
Joined: Sep 03, 2003
Last Visit: Feb 18, 2021
Location: Portown

Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:49 am 
 

How about creating a vast and details-oriented website dedicated to every minute printing of every TSR D&D product? A site which encourages hundreds of others to spend large amounts of money hunting down these products?



I'm nominating FoulFoot for the prize. :D

 WWW  
Next
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 21, 2