UK softcover Player's Handbook
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:45 pm 

johnhuck wrote:They look identical to me. I have just emailed you an image to check for yourself.

Yeah, I hate it when that happens. I'll go over it with a fine-toothed comb tonight but it doesn't look promising, they look identical to me too.

(However, there are a couple of points I've either gotten wrong in my head, or my copy is actually different from those...will let you know.)
[edit]Nothing different after all.   :cry:    Unless they changed "hobbit" to "halfling" on pg. 7,9,11, or 39...

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:34 am 

Hey,

While you knowledgeable types are on the subject of Uk print material, I have a question: I won a GW basic set from the UK, and it is a Holmes set with the blue book and mono B1, lizard logo, red dragon fighting the wizard and fighter on the cover, etc. It also came with a mint AD&D PHB softcover. But question is this: how different is the BOX from the other prints in the US, as this box is quite large and is also black all the way around. It is about 1.75 times as deep as a mentzer box set, and is quite skookum in terms of its construction. Just curious, as I have never owned any printings of this boxed set before.  Any help would be appreciated.

Bree-Yark!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:47 am 

RWilson wrote:Hey,

While you knowledgeable types are on the subject of Uk print material, I have a question: I won a GW basic set from the UK, and it is a Holmes set with the blue book and mono B1, lizard logo, red dragon fighting the wizard and fighter on the cover, etc. It also came with a mint AD&D PHB softcover. But question is this: how different is the BOX from the other prints in the US, as this box is quite large and is also black all the way around. It is about 1.75 times as deep as a mentzer box set, and is quite skookum in terms of its construction. Just curious, as I have never owned any printings of this boxed set before. Any help would be appreciated.

The US Holmes set is approximately the same size as the Mentzer sets, but the UK version is larger, as you stated.  No idea why.

(I had to look up "skookum" on wikipedia, which has a very interesting etymology, specific to British Columbia!)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_English. :)

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:36 pm 

RWilson wrote:It also came with a mint AD&D PHB softcover.

I love throwaway lines!

(Hey, I thought it was a decent copy, but not quite that good... Neat.
Maybe I should've bid higher, despite already having a couple of those ^^ )

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:44 pm 

faro wrote:
burntwire wrote:We bought the painting through a friend who was dealing with the owner. All we can say is it came from a well known game designer in England. It is an ink drawing that measures 8" x 10". Really cool art by John Blanche.

Am amazed that was still in existence. Yup, early Blanche is cool. :D

Very nice pick up indeed! :)

When we heard it was available we had to have it. It is kind of cool owning the cover art to the first non-US Dungeons & Dragons product. Now if we could just locate the cover art to the woodgrain set.  :lol:

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:05 pm 

burntwire wrote:When we heard it was available we had to have it. It is kind of cool owning the cover art to the first non-US Dungeons & Dragons product. Now if we could just locate the cover art to the woodgrain set. :lol:

Would say the Blanche is by far the cooler of the two. Had kinda hoped his WD #7 or 11 cover illos might still have been around, too. Long-time favorites of mine, for some reason.

Yes, I'd've gone all-out for that, too. Congrats again!

The woodgrain/M&M cover art is so-so even with its "historic context".
(If you find it in a value pack with the Amazon and others, might be worth a punt, though... *jk*)

Previous