UK softcover Player's Handbook
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:41 pm 

harami2000 wrote:Yeah, I'm sure! And one of these days someone else in the UK besides "DM Dave" might have a copy for sale! :)

well i have about 3 now if you want one? i was keeping one for me and putting the other two on my site.....

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:53 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
harami2000 wrote:Yeah, I'm sure! And one of these days someone else in the UK besides "DM Dave" might have a copy for sale! :)

well i have about 3 now if you want one? i was keeping one for me and putting the other two on my site.....
Al

Darn; better wait until I send you through a package...
Am sure there was... something... :?

Will keep an eye out, if they hit the site first. Thanks! :)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:55 pm 

harami2000 wrote:Darn; better wait until I send you through a package...
Am sure there was... something... :?

Will keep an eye out, if they hit the site first. Thanks! :)

i will have retired by the time you send a package david :) they will have paved the M6 motorway with white box sets by then :D :D :D

i will put one aside and we can sort something another time, thats fine with me. will put it with them two I-6/I-8 sheets i have here somewhere *feels guilty cos i cant remember where*

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:04 pm 

*hides in embarrassment*

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:16 pm 

harami2000 wrote:*hides in embarrassment*

LOL and well you should my friend :)

saying that tho - i have been a little slow in doing some things too....*apologises generally*

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:38 pm 

harami2000 wrote:
killjoy32 wrote:*goes back to reading the barsoomian battle manual - what a cool book*

Al

Yeah, I'm sure! And one of these days someone else in the UK besides "DM Dave" might have a copy for sale! :)

sorry for drifting totally OT again folks, but i noticed summit really interesting:

Barsoomian Battle Manual:

heres the one i have (not this auction but its the same book): http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=44114

and then i noticed this one too: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/54639

i take it the boardgamegeek one is the 1st print? mine does state (c) 1978 inside and doesnt mention printing at all....

any advice would be nice :)

Al

and even more off topic

DO NOT LOOK AT THIS LINK IF YOU ARE IN WORK

http://www.erbzine.com/mag13/1359.html - look down a fair bit - there are a cpl of nteresting female miniatures :)

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:42 pm 

harami2000 wrote:
deimos3428 wrote:Not regarding the PHB specifically, but I just received my UK 4th Basic Set

Hiya, Deimos. Just a quick note in passing!

I've have to dig out the post, but I did comment that the printing history for those UK Basic Sets is also more complex (/mix-and-match?) than the current listing indicates.

If you can find it first, thank you!
*looks busy and hassled, elsewhere in cyberspace* ^^

Finally got back into this tonight.  Thanks for the note, David.  For now, I'm concentrating on correcting the dates for the "known" UK prints... I'm sure it will get messy.

I'm convinced the 3rd MM/2nd+ PHB are mid 1979, if not later.  Certainly after 01/79, and very likely after 08/79.  The only absolute "end date" so far is 02/26/81, a date written in by a previous owner, but I don't think they were quite that late...  :lol:

I need some help filling in the blanks, so if anyone has any of the following printings, I'd appreciate a check on the catalog page:

US PHB (T1st, 1st, 4th, 5th)
US MM (3rd+)

UK Basic Set (3rd)
UK MM (1st, 2nd)
UK PHB (2nd) (not 2nd+)

What information I'm looking for:

1.  Prices listed or not
2.  S1/B1 listed, or only S1 listed, or neither listed
3.  Outdoor Geomorphs 2-4 listed as "Future Release" or not listed
4.  DMG listed as Future Release, or listed without a price.

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:54 am 

deimos3428 wrote:Finally got back into this tonight. Thanks for the note, David. For now, I'm concentrating on correcting the dates for the "known" UK prints... I'm sure it will get messy.

I'm convinced the 3rd MM/2nd+ PHB are mid 1979, if not later. Certainly after 01/79, and very likely after 08/79. The only absolute "end date" so far is 02/26/81, a date written in by a previous owner, but I don't think they were quite that late... :lol:

Thanks, Deimos. Yeah, messy enough...
Will you be correcting the dates of the UK Basic Sets, too? (Plus noting any genuine intermediate mix-and-matches, as mentioned in a thread I can't find just now :?)

Has been long overdue on the GW MM(/PHB) side, anyhow; viewtopic.php?p=7974&highlight=#7974
(within my first couple dozen posts on the board)

deimos3428 wrote:I need some help filling in the blanks, so if anyone has any of the following printings, I'd appreciate a check on the catalog page:

(n.b. It's generally possible to compare US with US, UK with UK, but not US with UK. Frozen dates are what caused the problems in the first place and frozen catalogs might be just as bad, in translation, even if they're better than those stated dates).

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:05 pm 

faro wrote:
deimos3428 wrote:Will you be correcting the dates of the UK Basic Sets, too? (Plus noting any genuine intermediate mix-and-matches, as mentioned in a thread I can't find just now :?)

Yes, UK Basic as well, if I can.

Has been long overdue on the GW MM(/PHB) side, anyhow; viewtopic.php?p=7974&highlight=#7974
(within my first couple dozen posts on the board)

deimos3428 wrote:I need some help filling in the blanks, so if anyone has any of the following printings, I'd appreciate a check on the catalog page:

(n.b. It's generally possible to compare US with US, UK with UK, but not US with UK. Frozen dates are what caused the problems in the first place and frozen catalogs might be just as bad, in translation, even if they're better than those stated dates).

Agreed.  However, they make reasonably good reference/supporting points.  It seems from the preliminary results that the catalogs are not frozen, possibly delayed, but it's a valid concern.  I'm not shooting for perfection here, just a little better than the printed copyright dates.

I'm taking a holistic approach, considering US/UK/OD&D/Basic/MM/PHB.  There quite likely will be contradiction.  Any other sources would be helpful, as well.

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:02 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:Agreed. However, they make reasonably good reference/supporting points. It seems from the preliminary results that the catalogs are not frozen, possibly delayed, but it's a valid concern. I'm not shooting for perfection here, just a little better than the printed copyright dates.

*chuckles*. Not too difficult to do better than those! ;)
Yes, "delayed" beats "frozen".

deimos3428 wrote:I'm taking a holistic approach, considering US/UK/OD&D/Basic/MM/PHB. There quite likely will be contradiction. Any other sources would be helpful, as well.

Cross-checking with WD, y'mean? ;)

Talking of which; I think I'd noted in passing some time back (hardly the easiest search string on The Acaeum!), but you can put the release of the GW Basic Book down as December 1977 with a fair degree of certainty.
(Games Day III = 12/17/77, per WD#5 whilst still pending in WD#4 (Dec/Jan 77/78 ))

(c) GW (WD#5) under "fair use"

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:32 pm 

faro wrote:
Talking of which; I think I'd noted in passing some time back (hardly the easiest search string on The Acaeum!), but you can put the release of the GW Basic Book down as December 1977 with a fair degree of certainty.
(Games Day III = 12/17/77, per WD#5 whilst still pending in WD#4 (Dec/Jan 77/78 ))

We really need to get a copy of that in the near future. We sold the only copy we had when we first started selling and have since purchased the original cover art.

If anyone has a spare copy in decent shape let us know.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:36 pm 

burntwire wrote:We sold the only copy we had when we first started selling and have since purchased the original cover art.

OK; pray tell more! :D

Sorry; no copy in decent shape, far less a spare!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:21 pm 

faro wrote:Talking of which; I think I'd noted in passing some time back (hardly the easiest search string on The Acaeum!), but you can put the release of the GW Basic Book down as December 1977 with a fair degree of certainty.

<don't really need to show this twice>
(c) GW (WD#5) under "fair use"

Well, that's very useful. All I have on that one is that predates USMM1 (12/77) because it lists the MM as "Soon". Obviously not too far in the future.

[edit]One other point found: Dragon is 8x/year, making it between 04/77 and 02/78 according to your OD&D letter chart.  (We already knew that, I know.  Just supplementary evidence.)

YIM  

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:35 pm 

We bought the painting through a friend who was dealing with the owner. All we can say is it came from a well known game designer in England. It is an ink drawing that measures 8" x 10". Really cool art by John Blanche.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:52 pm 

burntwire wrote:If anyone has a spare copy in decent shape let us know.
Mine is poor, and I'm being kind. ;)

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:00 pm 

burntwire wrote:We bought the painting through a friend who was dealing with the owner. All we can say is it came from a well known game designer in England. It is an ink drawing that measures 8" x 10". Really cool art by John Blanche.

Am amazed that was still in existence. Yup, early Blanche is cool. :D

Very nice pick up indeed! :)

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:05 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:Well, that's very useful. All I have on that one is that predates USMM1 (12/77) because it lists the MM as "Soon". Obviously not too far in the future.

Cheers, Deimos.

Was US MM1 not 1/78 in reality? (*remembers possible mention of that somewhere in the primary refs; maybe TWH...*)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:15 pm 

faro wrote:
deimos3428 wrote:Well, that's very useful. All I have on that one is that predates USMM1 (12/77) because it lists the MM as "Soon". Obviously not too far in the future.

Cheers, Deimos.

Was US MM1 not 1/78 in reality? (*remembers possible mention of that somewhere in the primary refs; maybe TWH...*)

Makes sense. 12/77 being the date it was printed/scheduled, 01/78 being the actual release?

For reference, I'm using the blue-back version of the booklet.  Would be interested in knowing if the silver-back version has precisely the same catalog page.

YIM  
PreviousNext