UK softcover Player's Handbook
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:43 pm 

hey guys, wonder if someone can help me out:

i got a softie PHB today, bought cheap, BUT can't figure out which print it is, so maybe you can tell....

have looked at the Acaeum listing and the "closest" it comes to is the Second+ UK print.

the section: "Catalog on last page refers to a future "Referee's Guide", but not the Outdoor Geomorphs sets 2-4.  Has the Games Workshop logo, includes Games Workshop D&D items, and does not have the statement: "Printed in UK by...".  Prices are not listed next to the items.  Two phone numbers for Games Workshop appear on this page: one below the Faerie logo, and one in a line of text on the bottom of the page.  Note: the presence of both phone numbers on the catalog page is the only difference between this print and the Second print above"

right now this book does not refer to a future "Referee's Guide", but the rest seems to be the same.

on the copyright page, it does say (c) 1978 and doesnt have any print details or anything...

so does anyone have any suggestions on how i can tell which print it is?

i can scan any pages that you need to see etc to help....just lemme know.

cheers

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:09 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:hey guys, wonder if someone can help me out:

i got a softie PHB today, bought cheap, BUT can't figure out which print it is, so maybe you can tell....

have looked at the Acaeum listing and the "closest" it comes to is the Second+ UK print.

the section: "Catalog on last page refers to a future "Referee's Guide", but not the Outdoor Geomorphs sets 2-4. Has the Games Workshop logo, includes Games Workshop D&D items, and does not have the statement: "Printed in UK by...". Prices are not listed next to the items. Two phone numbers for Games Workshop appear on this page: one below the Faerie logo, and one in a line of text on the bottom of the page. Note: the presence of both phone numbers on the catalog page is the only difference between this print and the Second print above"

right now this book does not refer to a future "Referee's Guide", but the rest seems to be the same.

on the copyright page, it does say (c) 1978 and doesnt have any print details or anything...

so does anyone have any suggestions on how i can tell which print it is?

i can scan any pages that you need to see etc to help....just lemme know.

cheers

Al

I'll peruse my copies when I get home.  I had this all figured out last week, but now I forget. ;)

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:14 pm 

deimos3428 wrote: I'll peruse my copies when I get home. I had this all figured out last week, but now I forget. ;)

Copies?! We already have a couple of people hoarding White Box Sets, don't you start hoarding those softies Mr Deimos. :twisted: :P :lol:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:25 pm 

thanks guys, much appreciated!

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:06 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
deimos3428 wrote: I'll peruse my copies when I get home. I had this all figured out last week, but now I forget. ;)

Copies?! We already have a couple of people hoarding White Box Sets, don't you start hoarding those softies Mr Deimos. :twisted: :P :lol:

I'm a recovering print junkie, B. ;)  I'm still missing a 2nd, but I have a 1st and a 2nd+ (I think...)

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:29 pm 

The UK printings are not meticulously documented, it would seem.  As stated above, I don't own a 2nd*, but here are some expanded notes.  

Size:  The 1st is taller than the 2nd+, by approximately 1/4".  You'd need to have both to know that, I suppose.  No ruler handy.

pg 127:  The 2nd+ does not have prices next to the various items.  The 1st does.

pg 127:  Both 1st & 2nd+ show the Referee's Guide (Just below the Player's Handbook and above the modules in the first column).  Please double-check that it's missing in your copy, as this would be significant.  The 1st lists it's price as 'Future Release', the 2nd omits this phrase.

pg 127:  The 1st lists Outdoor Geos Set Two, Set Three, and Set Four on separate lines below Set One, all listed as 'Future Release'.  The 2nd+ omits these lines.

pg 127:  Last paragraph, 2nd column:

1st = "Send 30p in stamps + a large stamped (13p)...52 page"  

2nd+ = "Send 30p in stamps + a large stamped (9 1/2p)..."our-20 page"

(Apparently the shrunk the catalog considerably)

pg 128:  The 1st has the indented line "Printed in the UK by The Pentagon Printing Group, Bateman Buildings, Soho Square, London W1", the 2nd+ does not.

* The distinction between the 2nd/2nd+ is apparently the presence/absence of the second telephone number on the last line of page 128 (as I understand it).  The one below the fairy logo is present on both.

If you do indeed have a copy lacking the "Referee's Guide" line altogether, that's significant.  Otherwise, it sounds like a 2nd+.

There may well be more differences between the 2nd and the 2nd+, but I don't own one, yet

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:50 pm 

hey deim

it DOES says referee's guide chummer....it doesnt say future referee's guide. in the acaeum list for 2nd/2nd+ it says future not just referee screen, thats why i was confused.

i know its not a 1st, so its either a 2nd or a 2nd+. i just wanted to know which one. more inclined to think its a 2nd+ myself.

thanks for the help ;)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:23 am 

I recently picked up a softcovered copy.

I didn't really look at it closely for printing as yet - would appear from descriptions to be a 2nd though, would this be safe to assume guys? or am I looking at a 2nd+?

Items which lead me to believe are:

- no prices listed

- Referees guide listed (not as future)

- Outdoor Geos missing nos 2-4

- only one phone number for GW on pg 128

-for bottom right paragraph though has same as 1st print.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:23 am 

AdderMcOne wrote:I recently picked up a softcovered copy.

I didn't really look at it closely for printing as yet - would appear from descriptions to be a 2nd though, would this be safe to assume guys? or am I looking at a 2nd+?

- no prices listed

My guess is that you have a 2nd.  It's not 1st or 2nd+, at least.  There is always the slim chance that you've detected another printing entirely, of course.  

For now, I'm assuming that it's a 2nd, and that the pricing is another (previously unknown) difference between the 2nd/2nd+.  Let me know if it's for sale, too. ;)

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:53 am 

I have two of what AdderMcOne describes--no prices like the 2nd+ but with the first 13p/52page reference.  Pages 127-28 do correspond exactly with the last pages in the soft cover Monster Manuals I have, if that helps.  It's funny that the MM should have the lizard logo while the PH does not.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:01 am 

AdderMcOne wrote:I recently picked up a softcovered copy.

- no prices listed

Mine matches this exactly.  I'm assuming it's a second print.  

As for yours, Al, what are the dimensions?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:45 am 

deimos3428 wrote:

Let me know if it's for sale, too.

I'm keeping it for the moment but will keep you in mind if I look like selling it.  :D

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:21 am 

afoolandhis$ wrote:
Mine matches this exactly. I'm assuming it's a second print.

As for yours, Al, what are the dimensions?

havent had the time to look yet - will try and sort it later if i get a moment! :)

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:07 pm 

Not regarding the PHB specifically, but I just received my UK 4th Basic Set, and from my preliminary checks, it appears to post-date the 1st UK PHB and predate the UK 2nd+ PHB...much more cross-referencing to be done, of course.  

If anyone owns any early UK stuff (MM, PHB, Basic, monos) and would like to help send me a PM.  :wink:

YIM  

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:50 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:Not regarding the PHB specifically, but I just received my UK 4th Basic Set

Hiya, Deimos. Just a quick note in passing!

I've have to dig out the post, but I did comment that the printing history for those UK Basic Sets is also more complex (/mix-and-match?) than the current listing indicates.

If you can find it first, thank you!
*looks busy and hassled, elsewhere in cyberspace* ^^

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:20 pm 

harami2000 wrote:*looks busy and hassled, elsewhere in cyberspace* ^^

oh dear...hope all is ok?

*goes back to reading the barsoomian battle manual - what a cool book*

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:28 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
harami2000 wrote:*looks busy and hassled, elsewhere in cyberspace* ^^

oh dear...hope all is ok?

*g*. Not that bad; thanks, Al! Just trying to help "herd" ~10,000 artists. Pretty well behaved now, but it only takes a few to cause fun!

killjoy32 wrote:*goes back to reading the barsoomian battle manual - what a cool book*

Al

Yeah, I'm sure! And one of these days someone else in the UK besides "DM Dave" might have a copy for sale! :)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:34 pm 

harami2000 wrote:I've have to dig out the post, but I did comment that the printing history for those UK Basic Sets is also more complex (/mix-and-match?) than the current listing indicates.

aside, that was: viewtopic.php?p=34728&highlight=#34728

Next