Time for an early Christmas present
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:24 pm 

Okay, I'm going to give away my Castles & Crusades Collector's Box set.  For those of you who haven't seen it, check out the link:

http://www.trolllord.com/box.htm

It's in new condition, read but never used.  The dice are still in the little baggy.  It's a really cool set, as some here have already written.  Highly reminiscent of the OD&D whitey.

Inside the U.S., I'll ship it for free.  Outside the U.S., I might have to ask you to help with shipping, or cover it entirely.

How shall we decide who gets it?  I want to give it to someone who will use it, or at least read it and keep it.  I don't want to give it to someone who just wants to sell it.

-Stephen

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:28 pm 

afoolandhis$ wrote:
How shall we decide who gets it? I want to give it to someone who will use it, or at least read it and keep it. I don't want to give it to someone who just wants to sell it.

-Stephen

actually i wouldnt mind summit like that. i have been buying some box sets of stuff for my own collection, LOTR (SPI & ICE), gamma world, everway, talisman, dungeonquest etc...

that also sounds quite cool, so if you fancy offloading it, give me a shout?

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:30 pm 

Well, I am game. :)   We need to have a contest of some sorts.  I actually have one in mind, but it will have to wait until the weekend. :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:34 pm 

afoolandhis$ wrote:Okay, I'm going to give away my Castles & Crusades Collector's Box set. For those of you who haven't seen it, check out the link:

http://www.trolllord.com/box.htm

It's in new condition, read but never used. The dice are still in the little baggy. It's a really cool set, as some here have already written. Highly reminiscent of the OD&D whitey.

Inside the U.S., I'll ship it for free. Outside the U.S., I might have to ask you to help with shipping, or cover it entirely.

How shall we decide who gets it? I want to give it to someone who will use it, or at least read it and keep it. I don't want to give it to someone who just wants to sell it.

-Stephen

Seem to have sparked a good bit of interest. If it is a contest that decides it let me know.

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:13 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Well, I am game. :)  We need to have a contest of some sorts. I actually have one in mind, but it will have to wait until the weekend. :wink:

Hmmm?

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:22 pm 

Now this is a strange turn of events (for me anyway!).

I have been watching this auction for a couple of days, wondering whether or not to bid on it.  Being hesitant because it is a Titan Games auction and because this is still a fairly new item and I dont want to end up in a bidding war with someone over it and pay too much.

http://cgi.ebay.com/TLG-8000-Castles-Cr ... dZViewItem

I walk into my local comic book store to pick up my weekly stuff and lo and behold, they have the very same box set on display.  Apparently someone had it saved and decided they didnt want it after all.  So I decided to just go ahead and plop down the $30 for it and hopefully save myself the pain of paying more than that for it later.

And now...the irony of fate comes crashing down upon me.  :roll:   I think you should give it to the person who has the most pathetic, saddest, gut-wrenching story of how they deserve it because nothing ever goes right for them in their everyday lives.  :wink:

I guess I should look on the bright side.  At least you arent giving away an OCE after I just bought one for $300 (I didnt but wouldnt that just be the most awful thing ever).  :twisted:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:49 pm 

KingOfPain wrote:Now this is a strange turn of events (for me anyway!).

I have been watching this auction for a couple of days, wondering whether or not to bid on it. Being hesitant because it is a Titan Games auction and because this is still a fairly new item and I dont want to end up in a bidding war with someone over it and pay too much.

http://cgi.ebay.com/TLG-8000-Castles-Cr ... dZViewItem

I walk into my local comic book store to pick up my weekly stuff and lo and behold, they have the very same box set on display. Apparently someone had it saved and decided they didnt want it after all. So I decided to just go ahead and plop down the $30 for it and hopefully save myself the pain of paying more than that for it later.

And now...the irony of fate comes crashing down upon me. :roll:  I think you should give it to the person who has the most pathetic, saddest, gut-wrenching story of how they deserve it because nothing ever goes right for them in their everyday lives. :wink:

I guess I should look on the bright side. At least you arent giving away an OCE after I just bought one for $300 (I didnt but wouldnt that just be the most awful thing ever). :twisted:

I bought two of these sets (one to open, one to hoard in SW forever) from Noble Knight a while back.  I think I paid $30 apiece.  Can't imagine why Stephen would want to give it away, it's a wonderful set...

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:55 pm 

deimos3428 wrote: Can't imagine why Stephen would want to give it away, it's a wonderful set...

have never really looked into it tbh. is it really worth checking out?

would like to hear some recommendations....

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:02 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
deimos3428 wrote: Can't imagine why Stephen would want to give it away, it's a wonderful set...

Al

I dont have a copy yet, but I have heard a lot of people say some good things about it.  I am defintely going to eventually pick one up here sooner or later. :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:12 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:

Al

I think it's wonderful...but I still can't figure out how hit rolls work.  (I mean, I know how hit rolls work, but I can't find a chart or anything...)

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:19 pm 

makes a note to get hold of one. does look pretty cool so i think that will be a good purchase.

also looking for a set of bloodbowl again :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:38 pm 

Sign me up for a contest for it. I'd love to try it.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:47 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:I think it's wonderful...but I still can't figure out how hit rolls work. (I mean, I know how hit rolls work, but I can't find a chart or anything...)

Deimos,

To hit rolls:

Roll 1d20. Add your Bonus to Hit (BtH). Add your Strength modifier if you are in melee, or your Dexterity modifier if you are attacking with a missile or thrown weapon. Add any magical bonus. Add any bonuses from spells or race or specialization. If the total is equal to or greater than the Armor Class of your target, you hit.

For monsters, you simply add the Hit Dice of the monster to a d20 roll, plus any modifiers, and again, you hit if the total is equal to or greater than the Armor Class of your target.

Example: Durin the Dour, a 3rd level dwarven fighter, is attacking a hill giant with his battle axe. Durin is specialized in the battle axe, and has a Strength of 16 (+2 modifier). His Bonus to Hit is +3, for being a 3rd level fighter. He would roll a d20 and add +3 (BtH) +2 (Strength) +1 (Specialization), for a total of d20+6. If his total is equal to or greater than the AC of the hill giant (AC 20), the attack hits. Durin needs to roll at least a 14 on the die to hit. If he has a +2 battle axe, he'd add another 2 to the roll, for a total of d20+8.

Conversely, the hill giant only adds his Hit Dice to the d20 roll. Hill giants have 9 hit dice (d10s, but that does not matter). So the Castle Keeper would roll d20+9 to hit Durin. Dwarves, of course, gain a +4 bonus to AC against giants, so Durin's player will want to remind the CK about that...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:59 pm 

Me too.  I'm hoping to be able to publish C&C stuff with Rob and Tadashi, but haven't invested in the rules yet until that becomes a more-definite reality (and the Trolls hire an editor ;) ).

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:22 pm 

I've got too many things, even though my collection isn't all that big.  Besides, it just feels damned good to give something away that other people really want.

So, let the games begin.  How are we gonna decide this?  Come on clarkie, what's your idea?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:23 pm 

I order one from TLG's website about a week ago, otherwise I'd be screaming please me! please me! (I'd even be promising to do your dishes, afoolandhis$, that's what I had to promise my wife in order to buy mine.)

On second thought, TLG hasn't shipped mine yet, I wonder where it is or if they forgot about me  :cry:

"Always looking for that boxed set feeling"

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:29 pm 

Actually, I have an idea for a contest:

lets do a TSR Trivia test for it.

Have some members of the valuation board come up with a 20 question quiz. Then you could post the questions one at a time on a thread and the first person to answer correctly gets so many points.  The person with the most points at the end wins the C&C box set.

if there is a tie....SUDDEN DEATH OVERTIME!!!     :twisted:  :twisted:

"Always looking for that boxed set feeling"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:23 pm 

I'd love a copy, I have a large gaming collection that's a home, not a place to resell.  I sell NONE of my games.  I'm interested to see how this will pan out.

There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

Next