Roslof??
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:18 am 

well as mentioned previously elsewhere, mum n dad, since the early 80's have looked at D&D in a somewhat strange vein, but over the years, have somewhat mellowed to it, cos they know i still play it n stuff. mum is the same as ever and just thinks "its a kids game", but my dad now, is quite flexible to tons of stuff. he gets on the computer now more than i ever did, despite years back always saying "they are a waste of bloody space" - he likes getting music and films etc....and jeez life revolves around "its gotta be the wrong codec" or some such thing...

the common comment back at him nowadays is "yea dad youve told me like 4 times now" :D

hes a fun guy.

but art now, well he is well into that and is always sketching - pretty good too. shame he never really got into it more imo.

i've already asked him - i am writing a book, have been for some time, but will start it again once the marathon is out of the way - once its finished, i would like him to do the art for the front of the book for me. good or bad, it doesnt matter to me. i am gonna get enough copies printed proper, to give everyone in the family circle one each and i think art done by him, would just be fitting somehow :D

when he was picking up my 20,000 JG books with ,e. he looked at a few and thought they looked "quite good". he also really likes the cover of Q1 too. (showed him after showing him the mikes picture)....

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:22 am 

I never really asked, but I think my mother's point of view was simple. She knew what we were doing, or more to the point, what we were not doing. No drugs or the like. Growing up in the late 70s with a culture of drug use probably scared my mother to death.

I think she picked up real early that the guys I hung out with were not that type, so who cares if we want to play a game. We were also a fairly out of doors group, too and played sports often. So it probably wasn't a game that she was concerned about, but the people who played it. I just hope my kids make the right kind of friends as I was lucky to do.

Also, I really do not think any of the TSR artwork would have turned her head much. Just go to your local big city institute of arts or museum...

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:57 am 

[quote="bbarsh"]I never really asked, but I think my mother's point of view was simple. She knew what we were doing, or more to the point, what we were not doing. No drugs or the like. Growing up in the late 70s with a culture of drug use probably scared my mother to death.

I think she picked up real early that the guys I hung out with were not that type, so who cares if we want to play a game. We were also a fairly out of doors group, too and played sports often. So it probably wasn't a game that she was concerned about, but the people who played it. I just hope my kids make the right kind of friends as I was lucky to do.
quote]

I think that was eventually my parent's attitudes also.  I mean, every Friday night they knew exactly where we were, either at my house or one of the other guys, not drinking somewhere, and when would we have time for drugs (or money for that matter we spent every cent on D&D stuff).  Iagree that the drug culture of the late 60's through the70's freaked a lot of "normal" parents out, honestly we were too involved in gaming and sports to even think about drug use at the time. I remember my father did make an offhanded comment one time that unlike a lot of kids our age (late teens) we never seemed to be hanging around the house bored getting into trouble, it was his only grudging concession to D&D keeping us out of jail I suppose  :D  
    It also helped that the guy that introduced the game to me and played with us was just a A+, straight arrow kind of guy that was clean cut and always said "Yes sir", "yes Mam", and was very polite (he eventually became a Navy captain and a doctor).  I guess the other parents figured if Joe (the guy) was involved, it couldn't be too bad.  Luckily Joe wasn't a biker with long hair and tats, we would have never been allowed to play....

Mike B.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:49 pm 

I'm new here and I just noticed this thread. I too love the classic D&D art so much that I painted a whole set myself. You can view them at this link to my website. http://kevinmayle.netaidz.com/v/other/n ... s+dragons/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:51 pm 

kevin mayle wrote:I'm new here and I just noticed this thread. I too love the classic D&D art so much that I painted a whole set myself. You can view them at this likk to my website. http://kevinmayle.netaidz.com/v/other/n ... s+dragons/

hey kevin!

like the art - cool! especially like the Githyanki pic off the fiend folio - nice!

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:20 pm 

Always loved that Dieties and Demigods piece myself.  Very nice work!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:03 pm 

Thanks!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:59 pm 

Excellent work, Kevin. Truly!

"Surely you don't disbelieve the prophecies just because you had a hand in bringing them about?" J.R.R. Tolkien

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:18 pm 

Nice work, Kevin!  Question-- how did the "I'm just a bill" guy get in there?  :lol:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:26 pm 

Pointy Stick wrote:Nice work, Kevin!  Question-- how did the "I'm just a bill" guy get in there?  :lol:

Thanks!
Bill is there by mistake. I need to move him elsewhere and fill up that page with the rest of the D&D cartoon characters as soon as I draw them.

Previous