Roslof??
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:45 pm 

That is awesome.  I'll have to start thinking about this now too...
Was there any reason why you went with black and white rather than color?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:53 pm 

dathon wrote:That is awesome. I'll have to start thinking about this now too...
Was there any reason why you went with black and white rather than color?

I've just always felt B&W inks bring out more detail, and it reminds me of the inner illustrations of the original D&D modules (no color interiors, remember) and looked a lot more "old school" to me.  Plus Roslof's style seems (to me at least) to sometimes become buried and washed out with color, which sometimes obscures the details ( I think a lot of Erol Otus' b&w stuff looks cooler than this color stuff also).  Plus the time factor and cost, I know color would have cost more and taken much more time (it was only about 3 weeks from start to finish for this piece, which Jim did in his spare time).  Honestly I never even considered color, I had a conception of what I wanted and Jim filled it perfectly, sort of like one of those full page b&w drawings in one of the 1st edition classics.

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:41 am 

Badmike wrote:   I've just always felt B&W inks bring out more detail, and it reminds me of the inner illustrations of the original D&D modules (no color interiors, remember) and looked a lot more "old school" to me. Plus Roslof's style seems (to me at least) to sometimes become buried and washed out with color, which sometimes obscures the details ( I think a lot of Erol Otus' b&w stuff looks cooler than this color stuff also). Plus the time factor and cost, I know color would have cost more and taken much more time (it was only about 3 weeks from start to finish for this piece, which Jim did in his spare time). Honestly I never even considered color, I had a conception of what I wanted and Jim filled it perfectly, sort of like one of those full page b&w drawings in one of the 1st edition classics.

Mike B.

yes i agree too - i think B&W drawings look far better than colour. the details to me always seems to be that much more sharp and visible. well he will most certainly be getting a commission off of me thats for sure, just as soon as i can rustle enough funds together to notmake the CC hurt too much :D

i truly am impressed!

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:33 pm 

Very cool Mike....can't wait to see it in person.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:19 pm 

8) Thanks for the show. What a great visual and story to boot. I never tell teh wifey how much I spend on any of this stuff.  :wink:

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:23 am 

Adam Shultz wrote:8) Thanks for the show. What a great visual and story to boot. I never tell teh wifey how much I spend on any of this stuff. :wink:

everyone here has pretty much given up trying to tell me what to spend and not to spend :)

everyone hates buying me presents, cos i have bought everything i want before then :D

why not, you cant take it with you when you die, so enjoy it while you can i say!

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:45 pm 

HOLY CRAP!!! Wow, that is amazing... just like the old days but the detail and refinement is incredible.

Can you tell us any more about your correspondence with Jim? like history working with TSR?

The party awakens in a place where there is no light and no sounds but their own. Characters with infravision can ascertain that all party members are presented. The place they are in looks and feels like a natural cave, about 30 feet in diameter.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:16 pm 

Ssendam wrote:HOLY CRAP!!! Wow, that is amazing... just like the old days but the detail and refinement is incredible.

Can you tell us any more about your correspondence with Jim? like history working with TSR?

I hate to say that my correspondence with Jim was very minimal, and only about the drawing at hand.  Guess I was a bit intimidated, too much so to get into any casual coversation...!  
     I'm sure TSRart or some others here that collect original artwork have probably had much more enlightening conversations with Jim than I have...

Mike B.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:19 pm 

Very nice. And worth every bit of $300.

It is nice to know that there is an outlet to make some of our greatest memories of this game an actual physical item.

I guess I am going to have to think about what I would like done...

I agree about the B&W. Gives it a more D&D feel, don't you think.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:34 pm 

He is tough to pin down for more than a very specific email. Sometimes he doesn't seem to get emails at all or files mine away in the circular file cabinet.  :lol:

I am glad the commission worked out though. He has been hankering to do some fantasy work again.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:49 pm 

Adam Shultz wrote:He is tough to pin down for more than a very specific email. Sometimes he doesn't seem to get emails at all or files mine away in the circular file cabinet. :lol:

I am glad the commission worked out though. He has been hankering to do some fantasy work again.

Unfortunately it looks like a money crunch over here might cut down on the ability to get another commission anytime soon.  I had a hankering to get another interpretation of Jim's D1-2 cover, I guess I'll have to wait.  Hopefully the pictures I posted will lead to another commission from another acaeum member.  
  To clear up a point, the artwork was actually $350, I had forgotten I made a down payment and then the bulk of the payment after the piece was finished.  From what I see on Jeff Dee's site that seems to be the going rate.  I felt it was well worth the cost.....for that price you might get a pretty nice D&D collectible, but nothing beats a unique original!!!!

Mike B.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:00 pm 

because it needs to be seen on this page as well.
I'm looking at this and thinking wow, wow, wow.

I'm so jealous...

The party awakens in a place where there is no light and no sounds but their own. Characters with infravision can ascertain that all party members are presented. The place they are in looks and feels like a natural cave, about 30 feet in diameter.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:11 pm 

i still think that pic is so utterly stupendous.

i was talking about this to family over new yea - my dad was well impressed with the quality of the pic.

as soon as i have funds available i am going to get one done too. most certainly - its just gonna have to be done and there is no two ways about it. the one i want done is most likely gonna be an interpretation similar to mikes as that is also one of my very favorite scenes.

my dad came up with an amazing idea, and the more i think of it, the better i like the idea. what we are going to do, is get the character out of our sheets that we want putting into the art, describe him/her as best we can and use a portrait of ourselves and ask for it to be "D&D-ised" into the art. if that could be done, that would be about as close as i could imagine a piece of art being perfect to me.

thats how its looking right now and i think it would be tremendous fun if he could do it.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:30 pm 

I'm looking at this and thinking wow, wow, wow.

I'm so jealous...

Honestly, think about it....
Save $35 a week for 10 weeks...thats two months and change.
Maybe not eat out for a couple days a week, don't buy a comic or two, put off buying a new mini or game....
Well worth the memories.....

I still need a frame for it, it's now positioned above my desk, so I can see it every day while I work!  I hope someday to have Jeff Dee and Erol Otus prints to go up with it.....!

I finally showed my brother the print the other day, the other members of our group haven't seen the artwork or their characters therein. His character is the dwarven fighter (who is still in action, btw, 25 years later).  He was pretty much shocked into commenting something like "Wow!".  But he didn't even know/remember who Roslof was so i had to flash him a few covers before it all came back to him ( I used to use the modules in the old days as DM screens, so the group pretty well memorized covers like G1, G2m, G3, D1, D2 D3, Q1, etc).
    He did remind me in the final battle a few things I had forgotten.  First, the final party consisted of a veratible army of PCs and NPCs as they went into the Spider Ship: Two clerics, two elven fighter mages, three dwarven fighters, two half orc fighters, one elven thief, a human illusionist, a human mage, a human ranger and even a monk!!! Second, the clerics weren't there through the final battle after Lolth used an Unholy word to blow the LG priests of Cuthbert off the Abyssal plane, so no healing since the clerics had also been carrying most of the healing potions and scrolls! (tactical error, that!).  And that his half orc fighter, Grotto, was the only character actually killed by Lolth in the final battle (although by the time Lolth was brought low everyone involved only had a handful of HPs or was bleeding to death with negatives  hit points) when he rolled a one to save vs poison after she bit him.  They had to use his ring of three wishes (only one wish left) to get back to the prime plane after they destroyed Lolth and the ship began falling apart, so he was mighty pissed about that since he was a half orc and couldn't be raised from the dead (1st ed rules), he was saving his ring of wishes for just that circumstance!
   You see, the picture is worth all the memories alone...

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:36 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:i still think that pic is so utterly stupendous.

i was talking about this to family over new yea - my dad was well impressed with the quality of the pic.

as soon as i have funds available i am going to get one done too. most certainly - its just gonna have to be done and there is no two ways about it. the one i want done is most likely gonna be an interpretation similar to mikes as that is also one of my very favorite scenes.

my dad came up with an amazing idea, and the more i think of it, the better i like the idea. what we are going to do, is get the character out of our sheets that we want putting into the art, describe him/her as best we can and use a portrait of ourselves and ask for it to be "D&D-ised" into the art. if that could be done, that would be about as close as i could imagine a piece of art being perfect to me.

thats how its looking right now and i think it would be tremendous fun if he could do it.

Al

Wow, what a great idea!  Talk about personalizing the artwork, I think that's an incredible suggestion!  It doesn't sound like too hard a task for Jim, I bet it wouldn't be a stretch for him to do that.  Maybe mail or email the photos when you send in the initial payment.  It can't hurt to ask. Let us know who it goes!  Believe me Al, ST1s, Fazzlewoods or Orange B3s wil come and go, but a one of a kind piece of art like this is unique.

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:48 pm 

Badmike wrote:Wow, what a great idea! Talk about personalizing the artwork, I think that's an incredible suggestion! It doesn't sound like too hard a task for Jim, I bet it wouldn't be a stretch for him to do that. Maybe mail or email the photos when you send in the initial payment. It can't hurt to ask. Let us know who it goes! Believe me Al, ST1s, Fazzlewoods or Orange B3s wil come and go, but a one of a kind piece of art like this is unique.

Mike B.

oh i totally agree. see i am sat here now thinking "wow to get a piece of art of my own that nobody else in the world will have and it is based on my own interpretation" to me this IS better than anything i could possibly ever get my hands on - for prb the 1st time, we have one of the really truly great artists who are willing to do something like this. its too good a thing to pass up and i aint gonna.

my dad used to do a lot of samurai art on mirror glass with black ink and he was bloody good at it - i have been asking him for years to take it up again and even offered to pay for all the materials if he would just do it, but he wont. when i mentioned about the idea we came up with, he felt that for an established artist like Roslof, what i was suggesting, would be a "piece of cake". if it cost a little more, that would be fine too. it wouldnt even need to be perfect, cos i would just know, know what i mean?

thats the kinda thing you just cannot beat.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:12 pm 

Badmike wrote:I hope someday to have Jeff Dee and Erol Otus prints to go up with it.....!

Man, if Erol were to draw my old party ... say fighting the Steroid Crab from White Plume Mountain ... well, I'd probably have some sort of weird D&D-gasm and just collapse on the spot.

Anyway, congrats on not only a fine piece of art, but a great idea as well.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:25 pm 

Firstly, I want comment on how utterly fascinating this thread has become. Ya know?

Secondly, I think it is neat that Al's dad is involved in his interests.  8)

PreviousNext