Roslof??
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:35 pm 

Badmike wrote:Well, finally got the finished commission today. I don't even know what to say, it is absolutely incredible. It's hard to believe Jim drew this start to finish in less than a month! The detail is mindblowing, IMO it's even BETTER than the original Q1 cover! I've just been staring it it over my desk for the better part of an afternoon in shock, drinking in all the details, feeling like I was a teenager again having picked up Q1 Queen of the Demonweb Pits at the local hobby store only this time my party's characters are filling in for the generic heroes in the original cover (with incredible detail, down to the armor and weapons the actual characters wore in my original campaign!). I'm getting together with two of the original members of my gaming group who adventured through the G-D-Q modules this New Year's Eve, and I honestly don't know if they are going to not just bash me over the head and take this for themselves once their eyes quit bugging out from their heads in astonishment (plus seeing their actual characters there taking on Lolth and her minions). Wow! Anyway, I'll attempt to take a picture and post it here when I get a chance so everyone can see that Roslof came through like a champion. Money well spent!!!! If anyone was thinking of maybe having Jim do a commision, rest assured you won't be disappointed.

Mike B.

mike, you got WHAT??!!! Q1??!!! awww man i am soooo jealous! lemme see a pic of it chummer cos i would so love some art based around that myself and have been toying with it too.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:03 pm 

picts please!

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:33 pm 

Adam Shultz wrote:picts please!

Despite working on computers 8-12 hours a day every day, I am a technology idiot.  However, through the help of photobucket I hope I can get these picts up:

Here is a closeup of this beautiful piece of artwork, notice the detail.  The characters are ones from my original gaming group that went through the complete G, D and Q series.  From the top left: Krago the Dwarf; Gandolin the Elven ftr/mage; UGor the Half Orc, and St. Michael, cleric of Cuthbert. The picture is accurate to the details, from UGor's hideous visage (7 Charisma) and topknot, platemail, gauntlets and flaming longsword, Gandolin throwing one of his beloved Fire spells (although I don't think it's going to do much more than make Lolth pissy with her magic resistance), Krago wielding the Giant Slaying Sword he found in G1 (notice the gigantic scabbard on his back, at the time we didn't think it might be impossible for dwarf to swing around a gigantic two handed sword one handed, oh well), etc.  Basically a dramatic re-interpretation of the cover of Q1 only with my gaming group's characters there. If this follows form Lolth's only got a few turns of life left before UGor bashes her brains in with only 1 HP left! Beautiful!

This one shows the scale of the artwork...Jim packaged the item well and included this nice black outer cardboard frame, along with backing, all I have to do is find the right sized glass and frame and this masterpiece is on my wall!

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:50 pm 

I am simply in freakin awe right now.

Image  Image  Image  Image  Image

ImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImage

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:14 pm 

thats a wonderful piece of art. Q1 will always be my fave mod ever and as soon as i have enough pennies available....i see a commission of similar ilk being requested!!!

truly....am VERY impressed!

thanks for sharing that mike.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:43 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:thats a wonderful piece of art. Q1 will always be my fave mod ever and as soon as i have enough pennies available....i see a commission of similar ilk being requested!!!

truly....am VERY impressed!

thanks for sharing that mike.

Al

A little over $300 bucks...well worth every penny...when I brought it home today I told my wife it was my Christmas present to myself, when I told her the cost she said "Nice you spent more on yourself than on me!" Yikes! She was just kidding...I hope.  Of course now I'm hooked...looks like all my spare cash for awhile might be going for commissions, next up is Dee I think although Jim might get another calls since he did such a tremendous job with this one! The more I stare at it the more I realize it's an original piece of art by one of the classic old school D&D artists....and it's mine! I don't know how I'm going to get to sleep tonight!
  I remember in the early 80's, I went to a local comic convention that featured Dave Cockrum, then artist of the "New" Uncanny X-Men (he'd returned to the title after John Byrne had his classic run for several years).  I had him do a sketch of Magneto, but they were closing the doors and he wasn't through with the sketch.  He promised me that if I came back the next day, he would have the sketch finished.  Well I came back the next day and Dave not only had the "sketch" finished but it looked like he'd worked over it all night, it wasn't a sketch anymore but a full fledged work of art! He told me that he felt bad I had to come all the way out there again so he wanted to make the drawing extra special.  Dave was a class act!  I felt the same way after seeing this from Roslof, I can't believe he just whipped this baby out in his spare time, all the personal details and everything making it extra special.  Hopefully Goodman Games will display some more of his fine work, and some of the old schoolers on these boards can give him a little love also, as you can see by the pictures you are not going to be disappointed.  

Mike B.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:45 pm 

That is awesome.  I'll have to start thinking about this now too...
Was there any reason why you went with black and white rather than color?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:53 pm 

dathon wrote:That is awesome. I'll have to start thinking about this now too...
Was there any reason why you went with black and white rather than color?

I've just always felt B&W inks bring out more detail, and it reminds me of the inner illustrations of the original D&D modules (no color interiors, remember) and looked a lot more "old school" to me.  Plus Roslof's style seems (to me at least) to sometimes become buried and washed out with color, which sometimes obscures the details ( I think a lot of Erol Otus' b&w stuff looks cooler than this color stuff also).  Plus the time factor and cost, I know color would have cost more and taken much more time (it was only about 3 weeks from start to finish for this piece, which Jim did in his spare time).  Honestly I never even considered color, I had a conception of what I wanted and Jim filled it perfectly, sort of like one of those full page b&w drawings in one of the 1st edition classics.

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:41 am 

Badmike wrote:   I've just always felt B&W inks bring out more detail, and it reminds me of the inner illustrations of the original D&D modules (no color interiors, remember) and looked a lot more "old school" to me. Plus Roslof's style seems (to me at least) to sometimes become buried and washed out with color, which sometimes obscures the details ( I think a lot of Erol Otus' b&w stuff looks cooler than this color stuff also). Plus the time factor and cost, I know color would have cost more and taken much more time (it was only about 3 weeks from start to finish for this piece, which Jim did in his spare time). Honestly I never even considered color, I had a conception of what I wanted and Jim filled it perfectly, sort of like one of those full page b&w drawings in one of the 1st edition classics.

Mike B.

yes i agree too - i think B&W drawings look far better than colour. the details to me always seems to be that much more sharp and visible. well he will most certainly be getting a commission off of me thats for sure, just as soon as i can rustle enough funds together to notmake the CC hurt too much :D

i truly am impressed!

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:33 pm 

Very cool Mike....can't wait to see it in person.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:19 pm 

8) Thanks for the show. What a great visual and story to boot. I never tell teh wifey how much I spend on any of this stuff.  :wink:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:23 am 

Adam Shultz wrote:8) Thanks for the show. What a great visual and story to boot. I never tell teh wifey how much I spend on any of this stuff. :wink:

everyone here has pretty much given up trying to tell me what to spend and not to spend :)

everyone hates buying me presents, cos i have bought everything i want before then :D

why not, you cant take it with you when you die, so enjoy it while you can i say!

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:45 pm 

HOLY CRAP!!! Wow, that is amazing... just like the old days but the detail and refinement is incredible.

Can you tell us any more about your correspondence with Jim? like history working with TSR?

The party awakens in a place where there is no light and no sounds but their own. Characters with infravision can ascertain that all party members are presented. The place they are in looks and feels like a natural cave, about 30 feet in diameter.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:16 pm 

Ssendam wrote:HOLY CRAP!!! Wow, that is amazing... just like the old days but the detail and refinement is incredible.

Can you tell us any more about your correspondence with Jim? like history working with TSR?

I hate to say that my correspondence with Jim was very minimal, and only about the drawing at hand.  Guess I was a bit intimidated, too much so to get into any casual coversation...!  
     I'm sure TSRart or some others here that collect original artwork have probably had much more enlightening conversations with Jim than I have...

Mike B.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:19 pm 

Very nice. And worth every bit of $300.

It is nice to know that there is an outlet to make some of our greatest memories of this game an actual physical item.

I guess I am going to have to think about what I would like done...

I agree about the B&W. Gives it a more D&D feel, don't you think.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:34 pm 

He is tough to pin down for more than a very specific email. Sometimes he doesn't seem to get emails at all or files mine away in the circular file cabinet.  :lol:

I am glad the commission worked out though. He has been hankering to do some fantasy work again.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:49 pm 

Adam Shultz wrote:He is tough to pin down for more than a very specific email. Sometimes he doesn't seem to get emails at all or files mine away in the circular file cabinet. :lol:

I am glad the commission worked out though. He has been hankering to do some fantasy work again.

Unfortunately it looks like a money crunch over here might cut down on the ability to get another commission anytime soon.  I had a hankering to get another interpretation of Jim's D1-2 cover, I guess I'll have to wait.  Hopefully the pictures I posted will lead to another commission from another acaeum member.  
  To clear up a point, the artwork was actually $350, I had forgotten I made a down payment and then the bulk of the payment after the piece was finished.  From what I see on Jeff Dee's site that seems to be the going rate.  I felt it was well worth the cost.....for that price you might get a pretty nice D&D collectible, but nothing beats a unique original!!!!

Mike B.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:00 pm 

because it needs to be seen on this page as well.
I'm looking at this and thinking wow, wow, wow.

I'm so jealous...

The party awakens in a place where there is no light and no sounds but their own. Characters with infravision can ascertain that all party members are presented. The place they are in looks and feels like a natural cave, about 30 feet in diameter.

PreviousNext