Roslof??
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 51, 2, 3, 4, 5
Author

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7949
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Apr 15, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:20 am 
 

Ssendam wrote:James, Thanks for clearing up the fact that the $75 is for the right to print the original, not the actual artwork. That makes so much more sense.



That being said, I would fork over a nice sum for even a limited edition print as Badmike suggested. Make just 20 for the acaeum at $100 bucks a pop and I bet Otus or Holloway prints would sell out real quick.




    Yeh, the $75 makes much more sense in that context.  Still, even a print of one of the Goodman game's covers (which are all pretty nice, I especially like Bloody Jack's Gold) signed would be very cool, much less the original.

   Going beyond the board, I know of a couple people here and there that would jump at the chance to own something like this.  My brothers for one would both jump all over a chance to buy one of these. Hope something can come from all this noise.



Mike B.

 WWW  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 103
Joined: Jan 11, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 08, 2017
Location: Altoona, PA

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:08 pm 
 

I just heard from Jim Roslof and created a new forum post. He's willing to consider commissions, so anyone who is interested should PM me your email address and I'll pass em along to Jim, who will then get in contact directly.



It would probably be helpful, as well, if you tell me what you're looking for and a price range.





Pat


"Life is short, art is forever, and the credit card bills to buy the art last just slightly longer."

 WWW  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2639
Joined: Jan 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 11, 2006

Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:47 pm 
 

*catching up...*



Badmike wrote:Mind you these are prints...for the original piece (not a sketch, but a full blown cover aka the Goodman games stuff he is doing) I would have no problem paying $300-$400 each for an original piece of art like this (again, no sketches or doodlings, but a full blown cover version that would eventually become the prints).


Gee, I'm glad you crowd don't collect originals that are any in way "sketchy" ^^



$179 for that 1982 Roslof "first appearance" of a critter which spawned a sub-genre and ~50,000 Google hits seemed OK to me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8716461142

(Cutting an inner mat by hand for this one is going to be fun! *g*)



Mind you, some of those "newer" pics ain't too bad, either... :)

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7949
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Apr 15, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:03 pm 
 

harami2000 wrote:*catching up...*



Badmike wrote:Mind you these are prints...for the original piece (not a sketch, but a full blown cover aka the Goodman games stuff he is doing) I would have no problem paying $300-$400 each for an original piece of art like this (again, no sketches or doodlings, but a full blown cover version that would eventually become the prints).


Gee, I'm glad you crowd don't collect originals that are any in way "sketchy" ^^



$179 for that 1982 Roslof "first appearance" of a critter which spawned a sub-genre and ~50,000 Google hits seemed OK to me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8716461142

(Cutting an inner mat by hand for this one is going to be fun! *g*)



Mind you, some of those "newer" pics ain't too bad, either... :)




I should have the particulars for a commissioned piece of artwork from Roslof done soon...thanks Pat for the contact!  I'll let you guys know how everything turns out as time goes on...



Mike B.

 WWW  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2639
Joined: Jan 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 11, 2006

Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:19 pm 
 

Badmike wrote:I should have the particulars for a commissioned piece of artwork from Roslof done soon...thanks Pat for the contact! I'll let you guys know how everything turns out as time goes on...


:)



Don't think I could put a "price" on that excitement factor, though? :D





*nods* Thanks, Pat, for kindling that interest in the classic artists still around "for hire"! :)

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 590
Joined: Nov 10, 2002
Last Visit: Oct 15, 2020
Location: NYC

Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:17 pm 
 

Can we get a sneak conceptual preview?


"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7949
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Apr 15, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:09 am 
 

Adam Shultz wrote:Can we get a sneak conceptual preview?




    I'm an Old School sucker....just think about a reworking of the cover of Q1 except with your favorite characters as the halpless adventurers taking on Lolth and her minions...





Mike B.

 WWW  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 590
Joined: Nov 10, 2002
Last Visit: Oct 15, 2020
Location: NYC

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:10 am 
 

Fucking awesome. I can't wait to see the results!!


"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7949
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Apr 15, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:04 pm 
 

Badmike wrote:
Adam Shultz wrote:Can we get a sneak conceptual preview?




I'm an Old School sucker....just think about a reworking of the cover of Q1 except with your favorite characters as the halpless adventurers taking on Lolth and her minions...





Mike B.




 Jim and I worked out the details, he was very excited about the subject matter as he mentioned Q1 was one of his favorite covers (obviously one of mine also, for both subject matter and nostalgic value), and hopefully I'll have it in myhands by sometime in January. The price was quite reasonable I feel for something I'll undoubtedly treasure due to the personalized nature and just the fact that something I've looked at for the last 25 years will be hanging over my office desk (well, a reasonable facsimile, drawn and signed by the original artist tho). This is about one of the best Christmas presents I could have ever bought myself :D I'll post the results here when the item arrives. I hope that this will lead to others doing the same thing, it's nice to give back to the guys that gave us so much and get something back at the same time.

 On a related subject, one of my brothers is contacting Jeff Dee to get a portrait sketch of his favorite character done. I think I'll eventually get a nice piece of art by Jeff also. One guy that we have mentioned but I don't have contact info for is Jim Holloway (artist on too many TSR classic projects to even list), like the rest he seems to be doing some Goodman Games work lately. Do you know if he takes private commissions also, Pat?



Mike B.

 WWW  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 405
Joined: Feb 11, 2005
Last Visit: Aug 28, 2007
Location: Orlando, Fl

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:30 pm 
 

An artist I'd kill to have do work for me is Stephen Fabian of the Known World and Ravenloft fame.



I love...LOVE his style. Is he still around? His bio at pen and paper stops at 1995. :(



edit: wow...from 95 till 2000 nothing.  Then "Putting Life Back Into the Undead" in Polyhedron #144 (Oct 2000) and then the bio ends again. :(


There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Valuation Board

Posts: 1926
Joined: Nov 16, 2002
Last Visit: Apr 22, 2021
Location: Ohio, The land without sun

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:54 pm 
 

Stephen has a website:



http://www.stephenfabian.com/



Looks like he is, or was, selling some of his art. He has done private commissions in the past. Looks like you can email him too.

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 103
Joined: Jan 11, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 08, 2017
Location: Altoona, PA

Post Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:38 pm 
 

Badmike wrote: One guy that we have mentioned but I don't have contact info for is Jim Holloway (artist on too many TSR classic projects to even list), like the rest he seems to be doing some Goodman Games work lately. Do you know if he takes private commissions also, Pat?





Despite numerous attempts, Jim Holloway is one of the few TSR folks I've never been able to get in touch with - sorry!





Pat


"Life is short, art is forever, and the credit card bills to buy the art last just slightly longer."

 WWW  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 590
Joined: Nov 10, 2002
Last Visit: Oct 15, 2020
Location: NYC

Post Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:58 pm 
 

I do have contact with Holloway and I am currently assembling a huge sell off of some of the items in his possession. Most are unpublished and unseen. All are at worst very interesting and some are quite gorgeous!



Given the amount of time this has taken so far...we are looking at mid winter for an unveiling.


"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7949
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Apr 15, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:57 pm 
 

Well, finally got the finished commission today. I don't even know what to say, it is absolutely incredible. It's hard to believe Jim drew this start to finish in less than a month! The detail is mindblowing, IMO it's even BETTER than the original Q1 cover! I've just been staring it it over my desk for the better part of an afternoon in shock, drinking in all the details, feeling like I was a teenager again having picked up Q1 Queen of the Demonweb Pits at the local hobby store only this time my party's characters are filling in for the generic heroes in the original cover (with incredible detail, down to the armor and weapons the actual characters wore in my original campaign!). I'm getting together with two of the original members of my gaming group who adventured through the G-D-Q modules this New Year's Eve, and I honestly don't know if they are going to not just bash me over the head and take this for themselves once their eyes quit bugging out from their heads in astonishment (plus seeing their actual characters there taking on Lolth and her minions). Wow! Anyway, I'll attempt to take a picture and post it here when I get a chance so everyone can see that Roslof came through like a champion. Money well spent!!!! If anyone was thinking of maybe having Jim do a commision, rest assured you won't be disappointed.

Mike B.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:35 pm 
 

Badmike wrote:Well, finally got the finished commission today. I don't even know what to say, it is absolutely incredible. It's hard to believe Jim drew this start to finish in less than a month! The detail is mindblowing, IMO it's even BETTER than the original Q1 cover! I've just been staring it it over my desk for the better part of an afternoon in shock, drinking in all the details, feeling like I was a teenager again having picked up Q1 Queen of the Demonweb Pits at the local hobby store only this time my party's characters are filling in for the generic heroes in the original cover (with incredible detail, down to the armor and weapons the actual characters wore in my original campaign!). I'm getting together with two of the original members of my gaming group who adventured through the G-D-Q modules this New Year's Eve, and I honestly don't know if they are going to not just bash me over the head and take this for themselves once their eyes quit bugging out from their heads in astonishment (plus seeing their actual characters there taking on Lolth and her minions). Wow! Anyway, I'll attempt to take a picture and post it here when I get a chance so everyone can see that Roslof came through like a champion. Money well spent!!!! If anyone was thinking of maybe having Jim do a commision, rest assured you won't be disappointed.

Mike B.


mike, you got WHAT??!!! Q1??!!! awww man i am soooo jealous! lemme see a pic of it chummer cos i would so love some art based around that myself and have been toying with it too.

Al



  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 590
Joined: Nov 10, 2002
Last Visit: Oct 15, 2020
Location: NYC

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:03 pm 
 

picts please!


"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7949
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Apr 15, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:33 pm 
 

Adam Shultz wrote:picts please!




Despite working on computers 8-12 hours a day every day, I am a technology idiot.  However, through the help of photobucket I hope I can get these picts up:



Image



Here is a closeup of this beautiful piece of artwork, notice the detail.  The characters are ones from my original gaming group that went through the complete G, D and Q series.  From the top left: Krago the Dwarf; Gandolin the Elven ftr/mage; UGor the Half Orc, and St. Michael, cleric of Cuthbert. The picture is accurate to the details, from UGor's hideous visage (7 Charisma) and topknot, platemail, gauntlets and flaming longsword, Gandolin throwing one of his beloved Fire spells (although I don't think it's going to do much more than make Lolth pissy with her magic resistance), Krago wielding the Giant Slaying Sword he found in G1 (notice the gigantic scabbard on his back, at the time we didn't think it might be impossible for dwarf to swing around a gigantic two handed sword one handed, oh well), etc.  Basically a dramatic re-interpretation of the cover of Q1 only with my gaming group's characters there. If this follows form Lolth's only got a few turns of life left before UGor bashes her brains in with only 1 HP left! Beautiful!



Image



This one shows the scale of the artwork...Jim packaged the item well and included this nice black outer cardboard frame, along with backing, all I have to do is find the right sized glass and frame and this masterpiece is on my wall!



Mike B.

 WWW  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 04, 2021

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:50 pm 
 

I am simply in freakin awe right now.

Image  Image  Image  Image  Image


ImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImage


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:14 pm 
 

thats a wonderful piece of art. Q1 will always be my fave mod ever and as soon as i have enough pennies available....i see a commission of similar ilk being requested!!!

truly....am VERY impressed!

thanks for sharing that mike.

Al



  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7949
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Apr 15, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:43 pm 
 

killjoy32 wrote:thats a wonderful piece of art. Q1 will always be my fave mod ever and as soon as i have enough pennies available....i see a commission of similar ilk being requested!!!

truly....am VERY impressed!

thanks for sharing that mike.

Al


A little over $300 bucks...well worth every penny...when I brought it home today I told my wife it was my Christmas present to myself, when I told her the cost she said "Nice you spent more on yourself than on me!" Yikes! She was just kidding...I hope.  Of course now I'm hooked...looks like all my spare cash for awhile might be going for commissions, next up is Dee I think although Jim might get another calls since he did such a tremendous job with this one! The more I stare at it the more I realize it's an original piece of art by one of the classic old school D&D artists....and it's mine! I don't know how I'm going to get to sleep tonight!
  I remember in the early 80's, I went to a local comic convention that featured Dave Cockrum, then artist of the "New" Uncanny X-Men (he'd returned to the title after John Byrne had his classic run for several years).  I had him do a sketch of Magneto, but they were closing the doors and he wasn't through with the sketch.  He promised me that if I came back the next day, he would have the sketch finished.  Well I came back the next day and Dave not only had the "sketch" finished but it looked like he'd worked over it all night, it wasn't a sketch anymore but a full fledged work of art! He told me that he felt bad I had to come all the way out there again so he wanted to make the drawing extra special.  Dave was a class act!  I felt the same way after seeing this from Roslof, I can't believe he just whipped this baby out in his spare time, all the personal details and everything making it extra special.  Hopefully Goodman Games will display some more of his fine work, and some of the old schoolers on these boards can give him a little love also, as you can see by the pictures you are not going to be disappointed.  

Mike B.

 WWW  
PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 51, 2, 3, 4, 5