A little fun challenge - Find the mistake
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:57 pm 

Well I was right about one thing:  it is a magical arrow.  The ranger is still in the wrong stance to draw the bow.

Martin

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:59 pm 

I have to disagree with you guys.  It looks to me like she's holding the bow AND the arrow as if she tends to shoot with her right arm extended straight out at chest height and the bow held horizontally.  In that case, there's nothing wrong with the illustration.  In fact, it's pretty damn cool that the artist captured such subtle details so well.

Nice illustration regardless.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:06 pm 

She is right handed.

The quiver is over her right shoulder, so she draws arrows with her right hand. The arrow is in her left.

The arrows are not in his back, they are in his epaulet, helm and breastplate, so no rear attacks there.

Her sword is stuck in his right side, which lends even more credence to her being right-handed.

She is not necessarily underdressed, just because there is snow doesn't mean it is freezing. The corpse is free of ice and frost, so it is probably not very cold.

Besides, I think she might have a ring of warmth on.......

I did notice that, unless she fell left-side first into a pool of acid in the past, she is a very hot-looking broad.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:35 pm 

Personally I suspect her mistake is the same one that alot of female characters make in fantasy art and that is wearing entirely too few clothes before entering a fight. I play a female fighter in our campaign and she sure as hell doesn't flash her "stab me here if you dare it's my cleavage" areas to everyone! That's asking for trouble! :D

And at the expense of sounding very anal about these things wearing a sword on the right or left side isn't really an indication of right or left handedness. The Roman soldier wore the gladius on the right as the stabbing action they used whilst drawing suited the weapon and tactics they employed. The longsword is easier to draw from the left side and so tended to worn there. Depends really on what kind of sword she's carrying, how it's been sharpened and how she's trained to use it. Anyone still awake? ;) God I'm getting boring in my old age hehe!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:26 pm 

It would be impossible for her to draw the sword with her right hand if she were right handed and it was right-sheathed, or even vice versa. It is too long. The gladius made it possible due to its short length. She has no discernable sheath.

I'm assuming the blade stuck during a forehand right-handed slash. A backhand left-handed slash by a woman of that size would not have much chance of penetrating a smooth armor surface, rusty or no. Of course, it could be magical.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:38 am 

It's bound to be magical! Just like all the invisible chest armour women in fantasy art wear :D

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:05 am 

Lewisexi wrote:It's bound to be magical! Just like all the invisible chest armour women in fantasy art wear :D

ah but you see, you cant see the +12 chastity belt of protection :)

or the +5 invisible plate armour of nagging :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:40 am 

Deadlord36 wrote:She is right handed.

The quiver is over her right shoulder, so she draws arrows with her right hand. The arrow is in her left.

The arrows are not in his back, they are in his epaulet, helm and breastplate, so no rear attacks there.

Her sword is stuck in his right side, which lends even more credence to her being right-handed.

She is not necessarily underdressed, just because there is snow doesn't mean it is freezing. The corpse is free of ice and frost, so it is probably not very cold.

Besides, I think she might have a ring of warmth on.......

I did notice that, unless she fell left-side first into a pool of acid in the past, she is a very hot-looking broad.

I'd have to agree with this (esp the good looking part :wink:  ) however the sword may not be hers, left over from a previous attack from another person maybe? If she was close enought to hit it with a sword she would have to of discarded her bow first, it seems unlikely that she would of gone sword strike first then a ranged attack, more likely the undead had the sword in before the attack or maybe she escaped the first attack to hit it with the arrows...

Brette:)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:46 am 

Okay Guys,

Everyone weigh in.  Is she right handed or left handed?  If she is right handed then I submit that the bow is in the wrong hand.  I'm right handed and a bow hunter (its been years since I last hunted).  I hold the bow in my left hand and draw with my right.

Your opinions please.

Martin

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:58 am 

she right handed and holding the bow in the wrong hand from me... (there is a little trick to find out if you are right or left handed.. anyone know it)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:48 am 

beasterbrook wrote:she right handed and holding the bow in the wrong hand from me... (there is a little trick to find out if you are right or left handed.. anyone know it)

i think she is also right handed and that the bow is in the wrong hand. i still say she is panicking from the assault at that moment and hasnt had the time to prepare and is possibly retreating....

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:17 am 

killjoy32 wrote:
Lewisexi wrote:It's bound to be magical! Just like all the invisible chest armour women in fantasy art wear :D

ah but you see, you cant see the +12 chastity belt of protection :)

or the +5 invisible plate armour of nagging :D

Al

My missus has a +5 Holy Avenger Handbag (doubles as a portable hole) which is +7 vs. other women I look at and deals double damage to me (+ 10!) if I get caught looking.

In her hands only, it also creates a 15' aura effect preventing attractive women from talking to me at any time and also creates a Rod of Cancellation effect on the TV when the sport comes on.

I also appear to be under the effects of a charm person spell as I seem to keep buying dinners, gifts etc and keep refusing my usual trips to the pub with friends etc. Any attempts to resist this magic result in her Gating in 2 - 5 female friends to aid in the casting of a complex "nagging" spell I seem powerless to resist at all...

Some higher level men have suggested to me that "undies of glorious and untold pleasures (+6 vs me, no save)" she currently will eventually be replaced by a +12 chastity belt of doom. This item seemed quite common tho no-one seems to know how to dispel it's effects as yet...

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:46 am 

When you read the caption summary of the cover art (bottom of the table of contents page) it says she is a ranger and has used up her arrows and lost her sword in this combat.

So, you see, she is ambidextrous. Oh wait, this isn't 3E . . . but still, the groundwork for Ranger's being ambidextrous had been set already.

Even if you don't buy her as being ambidextrous, then she probably has an 18 dexterity which would only give her a -1 penalty.

The quiver is over her right shoulder, which would imply she does shoot with her right hand. However, I don't see a scabbard, so it is probably hidden over her left shoulder - she may have adjusted to the quiver over the right out of necessity.

You will also note the Giant is left handed. He is likely swinging his axe is sweeping arcs. The ranger is backpedalling to the left to keep maximum distance between the axe and herself. When backpedalling to the left side, it would be incredibly awkward to shoot with the right hand.

I imagine she will wait for his next swing and then let loose one good shot (the arrow is probably of Undead slaying).

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:49 am 

(places on glasses of true seeing)

I'd say it's actually a 7" barbarian with a very hairy body, with a tatoo of mum on his arm, swinging the bloodied stump of a dwarven arm.

The magazine was produced with an illusion (cast at 200th level) on it which makes the viewer see one of their favourite character fantasies on the cover.

(rethinks above and removes glasses)

Now daydreaming happily whilst looking at half naked woman on cover.....

Oh, solutions for:

+12 chastity belt of doom (metal) = buy rust monster 8O

or                   (all other) = but Dragon Magazine #126  :lol: .

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:11 am 

What, are you ladies fricken blind or something?

She is clearly going to fire that bow with it held horizontally.  Just look at the position of her left hand and wrist.

As for the quiver, why can't she reach ACROSS the front of her body with her left hand, over the right shoulder, to pull arrows?  Sure, a bit awkward, but hey, to each their own.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:07 pm 

beasterbrook wrote:she right handed and holding the bow in the wrong hand from me... (there is a little trick to find out if you are right or left handed.. anyone know it)

Throw a small object at someone and see what hand they catch it in?  

Ask them to sign an autograph?  

:D

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:23 pm 

This has to now got be the most over-scrutinized piece of TSR art ever. :P

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:59 pm 

bclarkie wrote:This has to now got be the most over-scrutinized piece of TSR art ever. :P

Yes, but we've still got a ways to go to catch up with that Camel cigarette pack and the Land O' Lakes butter box!

PreviousNext