OCE Purchase
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:28 am 

I have been bidding on OCEs recently in hopes of picking up a better box than I currently have. As you never see just the boxes, or at least I never do, I have been having to bid on complete sets. I usually drop out at the $50 to $60 mark so I never follow them after that. I picked up a set today for $89.99 using a BIN. I was wondering if the price is ok considering the condition and what the complete sets have normally been completed at? Thanks for any feedback.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:49 am 

hey Marl

i aint no expert at these OCE sets, but it looks real nice to me. if i was into these, i dont think i would have had a problem doing a BIN for that much tbh.

$89.99 seems a good price to me, considering the condition. i've seen em go for less and lots more, so i dont think you have anything to be unhappy about.

just my $0.02...

Al

*** EDIT *** just wanted to point out that the ones for less, were the dog-eared, damaged etc etc ones, and one in that condition, for that price is GOOOOOD :)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:27 am 

Its a good deal really!  Would probably have gone for more.

J

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:28 am 

Looks good to me. The seller was very upfront with the imperfections and giving detailed pics of those is a nice touch too.

Just my $0.02 :D

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:30 am 

Yeah, congrats, that's a good one.  I think the cheapest one I've been able to find in pretty good condition was about $60.  Not as nice as that one, though.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:11 pm 

yeah, i agree - you can get them cheaper - but not in such good condition.  Six months ago you would have paid more.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:12 pm 

red_bus wrote:yeah, i agree - you can get them cheaper - but not in such good condition. Six months ago you would have paid more.

so says the guy who's house contents insurance is about to triple :D

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:40 pm 

I know - but the best way to deal with poverty (I find) is to ignore it, so am off to the pub tonight!

Eat, drink and be merry , for tomorrow my credit card bill will arrive  :D

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:51 pm 

red_bus wrote:I know - but the best way to deal with poverty (I find) is to ignore it, so am off to the pub tonight!

Eat, drink and be merry , for tomorrow my credit card bill will arrive :D

LOL best way to be :)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:40 pm 

Marlith wrote:I have been bidding on OCEs recently in hopes of picking up a better box than I currently have. As you never see just the boxes, or at least I never do, I have been having to bid on complete sets. I usually drop out at the $50 to $60 mark so I never follow them after that. I picked up a set today for $89.99 using a BIN. I was wondering if the price is ok considering the condition and what the complete sets have normally been completed at? Thanks for any feedback.

You did well.  I monitor these pretty closely, and while you might have gotten one cheaper in the last few weeks, when they hit a minor slump, it probably wouldn't have been quite as pretty.  

In the last week or so, they've started trending upwards again, and I assume they'll continue to do so until January.  This summer they were going for far too much, in my not-so-humble opinion.

YIM  

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:15 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:
Marlith wrote:I have been bidding on OCEs recently in hopes of picking up a better box than I currently have. As you never see just the boxes, or at least I never do, I have been having to bid on complete sets. I usually drop out at the $50 to $60 mark so I never follow them after that. I picked up a set today for $89.99 using a BIN. I was wondering if the price is ok considering the condition and what the complete sets have normally been completed at? Thanks for any feedback.

You did well. I monitor these pretty closely, and while you might have gotten one cheaper in the last few weeks, when they hit a minor slump, it probably wouldn't have been quite as pretty.

In the last week or so, they've started trending upwards again, and I assume they'll continue to do so until January. This summer they were going for far too much, in my not-so-humble opinion.

The condition is the reason I went ahead and bought it out right. There are still a few I have bids in but they are all at the $50 to $60 point, though one has some nice extras, and were not in as good a shape. So I guess it is safe to say I will not be appearing in the Silliest Auction Price for this at least.

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:49 pm 

Congrats on the OCE Marlith, I was on my way to that auction when I saw the BIN was already snatched up.  I would have done the same :)  I just won another OCE for $70.99 so $89.99 isn't far off, and I think yours might be in better shape than mine.  

On another note, did you see the white box set with all the extras?  Harami is sitting on it right now, so this little fish swam on to find a OCE I could win :)

"Always looking for that boxed set feeling"

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:40 pm 

Babydragon wrote:On another note, did you see the white box set with all the extras? Harami is sitting on it right now, so this little fish swam on to find a OCE I could win :)

That's a pretty smart move, and there certainly isn't a shortage of OCEs up right now...7 by my count.

YIM  

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:50 pm 

That's a pretty smart move, and there certainly isn't a shortage of OCEs up right now...7 by my count.

I think there is a lot of people looking for extra christmas cash right now.  Nothing regulates a collectors market like closet cleaning :)

"Always looking for that boxed set feeling"

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:52 pm 

Definitely a good move on the BIN. I have been buying them to pass out at xmas to our regular 8 players and most are not in that good of shape as the one you bought. even though I have more than I need I still would have grabbed that one.